Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin on the Forum Podcast w/John Nabors

Started by The NewEra, January 06, 2017, 10:37:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hognspace on January 07, 2017, 09:06:49 am
Sounds like the leadership on the team is seeing through the bs that this coaching staff is feeding them and the fans.  I had heard this but wasn't sure what to make of it.  It is time for this guy to go he is not the leader of young men we are looking  for he is a bit narssistic like Nutt in that his personality must be the biggest in the room.

What coach in SEC doesn't have the biggest personality in the room........Sabin, Freeze, Sumlin,
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PonderinHog

Here's what we need...

'Cause you got personality
Walk, with personality
Talk, with personality
Smile, with personality
Charm, with personality
Love, with personality
And, plus, you've got a great big heart.

FineAsSwine

"you folks that think Long is going to be fired are loony tunes". Haha.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 07, 2017, 09:18:33 am
Here's what we need...

'Cause you got personality
Walk, with personality
Talk, with personality
Smile, with personality
Charm, with personality
Love, with personality
And, plus, you've got a great big heart.

Lloyd Price says +1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

elksnort

Quote from: HamSammich on January 06, 2017, 11:24:46 pm
Guys who in the hell cares..: not the o be that guy but all of our players are average. I could care two tugs on a monkeys junk if any player on this team is unhappy. Irrelevant

I mean, awwweeee TJ Hammond's is upset holy crap what will we do!?!?!??????!
"two tugs on a monkey's junk" is darn good one! I shall use this sometime. Seriously, thanks. And I agree with you. Uplay the best players and or the guys that are buying in and the rest of them just have to deal with it

elksnort

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 07, 2017, 12:48:54 am
He was formerly a swimmer, now he's covering the Hogs.

He actually won 7 gold medals at the 1972 Munich Olympics, which was a record until Michael Phelps tied him with 7.
actually I was thinking it was 1976.

(notOM)Rebel123

elksnort

(notOM)Rebel123

elksnort

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: elksnort on January 07, 2017, 10:07:41 am
Well gaaalleee Sargeant Carter!

Gomer's cousin,Goober, had a boat that, according to Gomer, "That thing will do 80. Now that's fast on water."

elksnort

We are showing our age by knowing about this program

(notOM)Rebel123

LZH

For one, the OP had to realize the Gomer jokes would run rampant....not that they weren't funny. I love a little bs in a thread.

But Mike and I have shared some "off camera" stuff over the years and I can assure you all that he not only knows his shite, but is more candid than anyone else up there. If I heard something from weird places, he always already knew about it.

He loves his Hogs, and it may not have occurred to some of you brainiacs but it may not serve him well sometimes to be a rogue journalist without access to the team he loves like we do. Does anyone understand that? If you don't, then don't bother reading any further.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: LZH on January 07, 2017, 10:23:32 am
For one, the OP had to realize the Gomer jokes would run rampant....not that they weren't funny. I love a little bs in a thread.

But Mike and I have shared some "off camera" stuff over the years and I can assure you all that he not only knows his shite, but is more candid than anyone else up there. If I heard something from weird places, he always already knew about it.

He loves his Hogs, and it may not have occurred to some of you brainiacs but it may not serve him well sometimes to be a rogue journalist without access to the team he loves like we do. Does anyone understand that? If you don't, then don't bother reading any further.

....exactly why I enjoy listening to Mike. He speaks his mind. His "complaining of ordinary things" is just one of the things I get a kick out of. He's not the "cookie cutter yes man" that so many of the younger radio guys seem to be. Glad he's now able to get back in the studio after a long, difficult hospital stay and rehab.

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 09:06:40 am
Just the HV posters that post rumors, but don't back them up with ant facts.......
The neck joint of a common American field ant can withstand pressures up to 5,000 times greater than its own body weight

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 07, 2017, 12:48:54 am
He was formerly a swimmer, now he's covering the Hogs.

He actually won 7 gold medals at the 1972 Munich Olympics, which was a record until Michael Phelps tied him with 7.

Mark Spitz won 7 gold in Munich.  John Naber, not Nabors, won 4 in Montreal.

http://www.johnnaber.com/olympic_champion.htm

ricepig

Quote from: trashcan maN on January 07, 2017, 10:46:17 am
The neck joint of a common American field ant can withstand pressures up to 5,000 times greater than its own body weight

See, that's the way to back up a post with ant facts.

PonderinHog

Yeah, but can he play safety ???

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 10:48:29 am
See, that's the way to back up a post with ant facts.

Link? (In my best GuvHog impersonation)

RedyorNot

That was a good listen, thanks for sharing and to those posting the link. While CBB has said you recruit your own problems, you also can't predict how 85 kids are all going to turn out over 4 years, it's an educated guess by talking to parents, coaches, teachers, etc. in the present. So many of these players were the best on their team and had a lot of success so they don't know how to deal with adversity, or not getting the ball in crunch time...it's always been about them. If they quit on their teammates or pout about playing time, those flaws fall on the parents for how they raised them.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 07, 2017, 10:49:49 am
Link? (In my best GuvHog impersonation)

Them there's the facts!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig In The City

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 06, 2017, 11:21:46 pm
My guesses would be TJ Hammonds.  His dad made a lot of noise about no play time.
I have questions why a game changer would not see more touches. Either you want to score or just eat up click. I would rather score.

Pig In The City

I won't make judgements on players because the cancer may be CBB

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 07, 2017, 08:30:51 am
C'mon man....John Naber didn't medal in the '72 games, it was the '76 games.
He must have been devastated when the UofA dropped men's swimming.
Shazam, you're right.
Yes, that's it.
Jim Nabor's brother, John Naber.

SemperFi

Quote from: Hognspace on January 07, 2017, 09:06:49 am
Sounds like the leadership on the team is seeing through the bs that this coaching staff is feeding them and the fans.  I had heard this but wasn't sure what to make of it.  It is time for this guy to go he is not the leader of young men we are looking  for he is a bit narssistic like Nutt in that his personality must be the biggest in the room. 

You forget that these are young men that haven't learned how to control their emotions yet and when faced with adversity fall back on what they know. This is a learned behavior and can only be corrected with time. It's very likely that the coaching staff has approached the perpetrators and that they just refuse or cannot comply. If that is the case and there is a cancer in the locker room then it needs to be purged.

I played football for many years, HS and in the Marine Corps, and there were always those teammates that would fall to pieces the moment that anything negative happened and then there are those that would just find a way to elevate our game. I've also coached youth football as both a DC and as the HC and had to deal with the same issues from players and parents. It's ridiculous some of the crap you have to deal with, but it's there, even in the workplace. Firing Coach B over that is just stupid. He'll fix it or it will eventually fix him.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ChicoHog

Listening to it right now.  Great points on A&M, Auburn, Miss,  etc., on how they were so inconsistent also.  All their fans are griping as much or more than our fans.  I'm sure Tenner and UGA fans feel the same. 

Kevin

Best opinion interview by Mike. Finally no bs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ur

I would think the players would have been given their walking papers by now so they can transfer for the spring semester. Sure would like to know which ones. As for aggies, if they flop next year and Chip Kelly is still available, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

HogFanOSU

Quote from: ur on January 07, 2017, 03:50:35 pm
I would think the players would have been given their walking papers by now so they can transfer for the spring semester. Sure would like to know which ones. As for aggies, if they flop next year and Chip Kelly is still available, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm not sure, but I think NCAA rules require schools to honor scholarships for the entire academic year unless the player requests a release, or a player's behavior violates the terms set out in the scholarship agreement.  I think most coaches would just keep players they don't want to return but, just make them irrevelant until their scholarships expire and help them facilitate their transfers.  We will probably see some transfers after the Spring semester when some players are informed they will not recieve a scholarship for the next academic year.

Pig In The City

Quote from: hawgon on January 07, 2017, 08:58:54 am
I'm not suggesting anything other than he was pretty obviously upset.  But if you want to hear actual rumors about that sort of thing, you'll need to listen to more podcasts by the media.
Can't really blame AA for being upset at times . The OL wasn't much help.

Bacon_Bitz

Mike had some good insights. The people trying to use this thread to bash Coach B come off as really pathetic and whiny.

LZH

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 07, 2017, 04:58:22 pm
Mike had some good insights. The people trying to use this thread to bash Coach B come off as really pathetic and whiny.

Mike told me that BB was pathetic and whiny.

grayhawg

Quote from: LZH on January 07, 2017, 05:56:42 pm
Mike told me that BB was pathetic and whiny.
BB has helped me to remember an old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS" and now we see the baffle don't last near as long as the dazzle.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Potosihog on January 06, 2017, 09:11:07 pm
Great insight.  Remember this statement in a few weeks (paraphrase) "To get this thing fixed he may have to let some players go.  Some of those will cause the fans to question him."  If there is cancer in the locker room you must cut it out.  Even if it is very talented players.

Yes, but when the #uncommon men are let go it will be done "the right way".

LZH

Quote from: grayhawg on January 07, 2017, 06:13:04 pm
BB has helped me to remember an old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS" and now we see the baffle don't last near as long as the dazzle.
I was just jerking everyone's chain, but I can dig it.

The Hawg Marshal

Was anyone else here listening to Shawn Arnells show the night Mike Irwin was on, and Shawn left the mic hot while on a commercial break? CBP was coach at the time and Mike was saying some less than flattering things about him. When Shawn told Mike what had happened, Mike was pissed. Can't blame him though.It was hilarious to me, not so much to Mike or Shawn.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on January 07, 2017, 07:40:31 pm
Was anyone else here listening to Shawn Arnells show the night Mike Irwin was on, and Shawn left the mic hot while on a commercial break? CBP was coach at the time and Mike was saying some less than flattering things about him. When Shawn told Mike what had happened, Mike was pissed. Can't blame him though.It was hilarious to me, not so much to Mike or Shawn.

Mike's mic was hot after they went to a commercial late last week. Didn't catch all of it,  but he was saying something about "someone wanting someone" fired.

The Hawg Marshal

It's dangerous saying anything in a radio or TV station. lol

Al Boarland

What I took from that is Long runs things that leave big money guys with minimal influence.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 08, 2017, 01:11:35 am
What I took from that is Long runs things that leave big money guys with minimal influence.

And Long's way of doing things is working so well for us...

toxichog

One characteristic of great "Teams" is that problems in the locker rooms or work ethics are handled by the PLAYERS......the team leaders.  They are usually seniors and juniors, but not always.  It is part of a culture.......which is usually fostered by the coaching staff. 
Last year, and the year before it was obvious who the leaders were.........this year.......well you would really have to "guess".
While there were talent issues in the O-Line, linebackers, and an overall lack of speed on defense......all but the O-Line existed in previous years.  I think it is becoming more obvious that the biggest deficiency on this team was a lack of leadership in the locker room.  There was also "friction" among the coaching staff on defense......which was not kept in the coaches meeting room and spilled over into the locker room.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 08, 2017, 01:11:35 am

When Long was hired, it was celebrated because he was going to dismantle the "good ol' boy' system that was believed to enable HDN for so long. Jim Lindsey and his compadres were going to be neutralized.

Well, that's pretty much what happened. The influence of big boosters was neutralized, the athletic department was rid of Arkansas guys, the flow of information stopped, and the department began to be run like a business.

It appears some now regret that.

Be careful what you wish for, no?

EastexHawg

Running the athletic department your own way and without outside influence is one thing.  Running it your own way and without influence when you have no understanding of what it takes for Arkansas to be competitive ON THE FIELD in the SEC is another. 

Kevin

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2017, 12:22:26 pm
Running the athletic department your own way and without outside influence is one thing.  Running it your own way and without influence when you have no understanding of what it takes for Arkansas to be competitive ON THE FIELD in the SEC is another. 

we need long's definition of competitive
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2017, 12:22:26 pm

Can't wait!