Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talking to Some Non-Hogville Razorback Fans

Started by NaturalStateReb, January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 05, 2017, 11:38:31 am
I know a few Hog fans in my area as well. Some are familiar with Hogville and let's just say their impressions are not good. When asked if I am a member the answer is always HAIL NO.
🤥

IMABIELEMA

ifghog

Quote from: Lanny on January 05, 2017, 01:03:13 pm
You were at the wrong party.
Lanny being from the Hot Springs/HSV area..which you live...I don't hear a lot of wanting CBB gone and I am deeply rooted with Coaches and athletes here who care. Many think CBB is in a tough spot...very hard to recruit here....who is better that we might hire...whether you agree or not that is what more than average fans are saying. I have defended him up till the VA Tech loss. Can't lose two in a row that way. He needs a great year next year. 9 total wins will be just fine for most fans. I don't think he can get it done but who can? BP never proved he could...who do you want? I hear people groan but give me legitimate names..not pipe dreams....

BigE_23

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 11:02:20 am
If you go to any football/basketball games at all - instead of hanging out online all the time - you quickly learn that the vast majority of people (real fans who buy tickets and attend games) don't even know Hogville exists. Compare the dead-certainty of the dark rangers around here vs. the public consensus, and they are a million miles apart.

The shame is that the extremists do not have to defend their wild views against the public consensus. They face much less opposition out here on the fringe of fandom.

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 11:12:28 am
T shirt fans won't decide if he goes or stays.

What's typical of people, and not at all exclusive to Arkansas, is this sentiment right here: "You're not as big of a fan as I am because (insert snobby reason here) and therefore your opinion isn't as valid."

Whether it be going to games, being a season ticket holder, a donor, etc., for whatever reason, there are those who feel they have a monopoly on what is truth based on their perceived superiority. This belief isn't exclusive to sports and is most prolific in religious circles. For example, "I'm more of a Christian than you because I do (or don't) _____________."

What difference does it make? Do you think your opinion matters more?

I live in DFW and often time have to work on the weekends. I can't make every game, but attended 3 this year. The two in my city and the opening game against LTU. I don't donate to the foundation or hold season tickets...however, I do purchase T-SHIRTS and merchandise (over-priced merchandise that does support the university as well as the student-athlete). We have decals and merchandise on both of our cars, and in our yard. We pay over-priced directv prices to be able to watch games on ESPN and the SEC-N, which also supports the University...

So how are you more of a REAL fan again?

The truth is that THE FANBASE, whether in the stands or in their living room, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things at all. Whether we are unanimously content with the program or not, it doesn't matter. The powers that be will make decisions on the program based on what hurts them the most - their pocketbooks. And we can ALL make them feel it.

ricepig

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 05, 2017, 02:27:03 pm
What's typical of people, and not at all exclusive to Arkansas, is this sentiment right here: "You're not as big of a fan as I am because (insert snobby reason here) and therefore your opinion isn't as valid."

Whether it be going to games, being a season ticket holder, a donor, etc., for whatever reason, there are those who feel they have a monopoly on what is truth based on their perceived superiority. This belief isn't exclusive to sports and is most prolific in religious circles. For example, "I'm more of a Christian than you because I do (or don't) _____________."

What difference does it make? Do you think your opinion matters more?

I live in DFW and often time have to work on the weekends. I can't make every game, but attended 3 this year. The two in my city and the opening game against LTU. I don't donate to the foundation or hold season tickets...however, I do purchase T-SHIRTS and merchandise (over-priced merchandise that does support the university as well as the student-athlete). We have decals and merchandise on both of our cars, and in our yard. We pay over-priced directv prices to be able to watch games on ESPN and the SEC-N, which also supports the University...

So how are you more of a REAL fan again?

The truth is that THE FANBASE, whether in the stands or in their living room, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things at all. Whether we are unanimously content with the program or not, it doesn't matter. The powers that be will make decisions on the program based on what hurts them the most - their pocketbooks. And we can ALL make them feel it.

But his point was, it takes a whole lot of peons to equal a Jerry Jones or Warren Stephens, if it's possible, that's just a fact.

bennyl08

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 05, 2017, 01:56:37 pm
If we had won 1 of the last 2 games (either Missouri or Va. Tech), the tone would be much better, I think.

It just left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. If we can go on a winning streak next year, people will change their tune.

Fact.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 05, 2017, 11:48:30 am
I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie so there is that but he's a lot more familiar with the football world than most I speak with. His school usually has 5-10 players recruited by colleges with 1-3 being recruited by D1 schools. Many coaches come to his school throughout the recruiting process and he's had the opportunity to spend time with many of them.
I've always taken the opportunity to talk with him about his opinion of the hog coaches he's met. His staff is very close with Clay Jennings and he said he felt it hurt the hogs when he left but they did get a chance to meet BB. He said his staff really likes BB and from conversations he had with other HS coaches they all seem to really like coach Beilema.
He has told me he believes BB will be more successful the longer he stays at Arkansas. He says the hogs are facing an uphill battle getting Houston kids to commit to the UA with all the competition they face but the longer he's there the better the odds will be that the hogs make some serious inroads.
His overall assessment of BB is he's a very solid coach whose in a very tough situation at the UA. He told me he's rooting for BB to succeed as are the other coaches on his staff because they like him a lot.

Just thought I would share what an outsider thinks of our coach.

These type of things are more important than a bunch of arm chair coaches and AD's, sitting around tweeting, texting, or posting their rants about how he should be replaced with Chip Kelly, or the hottest name of the week.

The other thing to consider is what the college coaches are thinking, or saying to one another, because they know full well what CBB stepped into and they know you don't fix something like that in a year or two. I do agree that he needs to have a really good year this year, both in wins and the losses better not resemble the losses of last year, as far as the melt downs in the 2nd half or getting blown out.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

riccoar

True.  Last two games decidedly changed the mood of the season.  But let's be brutally honest.  If a Razorback fan has never heard of Hogville, then they are not a true dyed in the wool Hog Fan.

ke2743

(real fans who buy tickets and attend games) don't even know Hogville exists.

I'm confused.  Is this what qualifies as a real fan? 

Secondly, In my profession, many people know of this place.  In fact, when discussing razorback sports, many of my colleagues discuss checking this site often for information. Which is why they will never know my handle here.   

GolfnHog

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 05, 2017, 11:48:30 am
I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie so there is that but he's a lot more familiar with the football world than most I speak with. His school usually has 5-10 players recruited by colleges with 1-3 being recruited by D1 schools. Many coaches come to his school throughout the recruiting process and he's had the opportunity to spend time with many of them.
I've always taken the opportunity to talk with him about his opinion of the hog coaches he's met. His staff is very close with Clay Jennings and he said he felt it hurt the hogs when he left but they did get a chance to meet BB. He said his staff really likes BB and from conversations he had with other HS coaches they all seem to really like coach Beilema.
He has told me he believes BB will be more successful the longer he stays at Arkansas. He says the hogs are facing an uphill battle getting Houston kids to commit to the UA with all the competition they face but the longer he's there the better the odds will be that the hogs make some serious inroads.
His overall assessment of BB is he's a very solid coach whose in a very tough situation at the UA. He told me he's rooting for BB to succeed as are the other coaches on his staff because they like him a lot.

Just thought I would share what an outsider thinks of our coach.

I suspect that's the "real world" view of CBB and not the disenchanted myopic views displayed by experts here on HV.  I screamed and cussed as much as anyone over the failures of the Aubbie, Mizzou and VT games but I've always maintained a broad and big picture view of everything.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

EastexHawg

Quote from: woodrow hog call on January 05, 2017, 02:58:11 pm

These type of things are more important than a bunch of arm chair coaches and AD's, sitting around tweeting, texting, or posting their rants

What, that an A&M fan wants Bielema to stay on at Arkansas?  I wanted Les Miles to stay at LSU forever.  What does that prove?

It's pretty easy to be okay with the job a coach is doing when he's not at the program you care about.

Razorbackers

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am
At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.

It me.

Redhogs

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 05, 2017, 12:20:53 pm
You didn't hear it because Hogville might have the largest collection of crazies of all the fan boards.  You aren't hearing it from reasonable fans because they know he is here for at least a year.  You aren't hearing it because for the most part, with some adjustments (a new coach or to), things will get better.

Nobody with half a brain would like to start over after CBB was saddled with one of the worst personnel situations in recent history after BP and Smiley left him with the deepest of holes to get out of.
It's obvious you haven't been to other fan boards, Hogville is as mild as it gets. Head on over to Nafoom or Tiger droppings or most any other and you will rethink that statement.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

oldhog63

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 11:54:56 am
Funny TCU fans are saying we should have lost???  Either way we were an Eye lash away from being 4-7. 
Just as close to being 9-4.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 05, 2017, 03:49:17 pm
What, that an A&M fan wants Bielema to stay on at Arkansas?  I wanted Les Miles to stay at LSU forever.  What does that prove?

It's pretty easy to be okay with the job a coach is doing when he's not at the program you care about.

No, more along the lines of how HS coaches that he meets out on the recruiting trail, actually like him and have a positive opinion of him, that is better than them avoiding him because they think he is a jerk or laughing at him after he leaves because they think he is a joke.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Oklahawg

Quote from: woodrow hog call on January 05, 2017, 04:26:23 pm

No, more along the lines of how HS coaches that he meets out on the recruiting trail, actually like him and have a positive opinion of him, that is better than them avoiding him because they think he is a jerk or laughing at him after he leaves because they think he is a joke.

There is a big difference in parents or high school coaches and fans. The former have an investment in the players that fans do not.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jkstock04

Quote from: hobhog on January 05, 2017, 01:59:30 pm
Most people dont tweet. Most don't do message boards. Most don't call radio shows.

As mentioned earlier, the people who actually go to Hog games and are financial supporters are a lot less extreme than you will find on social media. Thank gawd.
While I would agree that most people that actually attend games have never even heard of Hogville...I would also say they actually spend $$$ to see the Hogs play football and win.

At least that's the impression I get. But on Hogville...absolutely. The thread the other night with the sunshine pumpers claiming you must be mentally challenged if you spend money on the foundation/tickets is all you need to know about train of thought around here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

For years, I was a fan before there was Hogville.  Most fans don't focus on the Razorback Sports programs 24/7 like Hogville posters do.  Most fans can't tell you who we play next during football season.  Many couldn't even name one OOC opponent during a particular year.  Some couldn't tell you the name of the HC and most couldn't name even one assistant in the entire sports program.  But they would be offended if you said they weren't real fans.

As for BB, I was unhappy with the hire and am still unhappy with the results and Hogville has nothing to do with that.  We are a difficult team in a difficult situation trying to compete in the SEC.  That is all the more reason why we need a coach who can minimize his mistakes, have the recruits ready that we do have, find a way to get them fired up, conditioned and mentally ready to go to battle though they may be short on talent compared to the competition.  I don't think BB is a bad person, likely just the opposite.  But he is in charge of a team I really identify with and claim as mine, the one and only college team I really give a crap about.  He has a job I would gladly do for meals and a place to sleep and he gets 4 million a year to do it.

I don't expect him to make 5 star talent out of 3 star frames but I do expect him to control those things that he can control like conditioning the team, having those average players mentally ready to run through a tornado to get to a tackle, be mentally ready to kick someone's ass.  Have a group of substitutes that have had some game time and sort of know what to expect if needed.  Know enough about his team to at least know what is 2 deep can and cannot do.  Even if we had all 4 and 5 star talent, I don't believe any coach on the staff would know which 4 star to insert if the starter was knocked cold as a wedge.  Our second team gets in real game time minutes only if a major injury is incurred or a minor staff member begs or the player begs.  Right or wrong, I expect any person hired to do a job to earn his money.  You don't need to have the best shovel money can buy or be the best shovel handler to dig a decent trench.  But you do have to work your butt off and pay attention to what's happening.

It is my opinion that AD Long is looking for any reason to give BB a raise and extension.  Don't be surprised if BB goes to work for next season and we see a decent up tick in effort and wins.

KennyForAD

There is no way that any large number of fans want BB fired right now.  I think what has happened is that the great majority of fans have been happy with him until this season revealed what appear to be glaring coaching deficiencies.  I think that a large number of fans are just a little shocked, and are starting to worry that BB might somehow turn out to be a dud.

First, we plainly have serious problems with the defense which started at the beginning of last year.  We have now gone two full seasons with it apparently not being addressed.  I remember hearing a caller to DTS at the beginning of the 2015 season.  He said he was a coach and that he could see huge problems with our D - specifically that our scheme was very susceptible to passes over the middle.   He said that it would cause the Hogs D to be eaten alive until our scheme was fixed.  I remember it well because I didn't think he could possibly be right considering how well the D had finished the season before.  He was just some random DTS caller - but in my mind, that guy turned out to be right.  It seems that two years after that guy saw a problem with the scheme, that our coach still hasn't figured it out.   Second, this year they had a serious problem with the right side of the line.  Hey, its college ball, we lost Kirkland early, etc, and these things happen.  I think that issue would be understandable with most fans except that line play is supposed to be BB's strength and its a little alarming to have such significant problems in year four.  Third, the second half collapses.  The offense is good, overall.  Very good.  But, by the end of two straight years of the offense typically having to win a shootout because the defense is so weak, it seems that the offense might have developed a propensity to choke under pressure in the second half.  When an offense starts pressing, leading to turnovers and other mistakes, it suggests that the coach has lost control over the players' mental attitude.  The second half collapses also suggest something even worse - that our game plans are such that opposing coaches can easily adjust and out-coach us as the game progresses. 

Hog fans do not have unrealistic expectations.  The expectation for next year is not to win X number of games.  I believe the only serious expectation right now is that the defensive problems will be addressed.  If the D is addressed in any effective manner, I think everything will be fine.   If not, fans are gonna turn on him, quick.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Pretty much everyone I talk to would like to see him go but do not think it will happen for a year or two. Most I know are starting to not care

Wildhog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on January 05, 2017, 07:03:37 pm
Pretty much everyone I talk to would like to see him go but do not think it will happen for a year or two. Most I know are starting to not care

That's what I run into more than anything.  Apathy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: riccoar on January 05, 2017, 03:10:55 pm
True.  Last two games decidedly changed the mood of the season.  But let's be brutally honest.  If a Razorback fan has never heard of Hogville, then they are not a true dyed in the wool Hog Fan.

Seriously? Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

JIHawg

ShadowHawg

Most of the people I know who don't frequent hogville were more dispassionate than foaming at the mouth to fire anyone.

Hawgar The Horrible

So much dumb in this thread I wouldn't know where to begin.

Many of you consider yourselves authorities on all things Razorback simply because this board exists. Without it, your uneducated opinions would be meaningless. With it, your uneducated opinions are an embarrassment.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Tejano Jawg

January 05, 2017, 10:42:06 pm #76 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:53:52 pm by Tejano Jawg
As far as a "consensus" regarding thoughts on Bielema...I don't think that will ever happen. Heck, even in Nutt's last year, there wasn't a consensus. Sure one side was more vocal, but fans were still divided.

Probably the same for Hatfield. Maybe the same for Holtz...although, back in those days, fans weren't spending hours debating whether a coach should be fired after losing that 3rd or 4th game.

Re: Hogville—95% of the Razorback fans I know aren't active here (that I know about) or don't know this exists. I'm an out-of-state alum/fan, so it's more important for me to get info (if you call it that) online than at the water cooler or in morning paper.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

RME

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 05, 2017, 10:07:21 pm

Many of you consider yourselves authorities on all things Razorback simply because this board exists. Without it, your uneducated opinions would be meaningless. With it, your uneducated opinions are an embarrassment.

Hogville Presents: Real Men of Genius. Today we salute you, Mr. Overbearingly Self-Righteous Anonymous Message Board Poster. Time and again you've made it a point to tell others that they shouldn't be allowed to speak their opinion on an open forum. You even go so far as to show other anonymous posters that you are a supporter, and you carry the weight. Bravo! Congratulations! Even though your topics get moved to Vent n' Rumors a good chunk of the time, you come back with more just waiting to be sent there again. So go on, continue to tell us that we're all peons in your beautiful and brilliant mind that is all things Razorbacks. So here's to you, Mr. Overbearingly Self-Righteous Anonymous Message Board Poster.

Anyway, here's some comedic relief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4mVHDtkK4

(notOM)Rebel123

Amazing that Razorback football, or any team for that matter, ever survived without message boards.  ;)

I really enjoy HV. But some tend to over exaggerate the influence of message boards.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

AirWarren

If you go to any football/basketball games at all - instead of hanging out online all the time - you quickly learn that the vast majority of people (real fans who buy tickets and attend games) don't even know Hogville exists. Compare the dead-certainty of the dark rangers around here vs. the public consensus, and they are a million miles apart.

The shame is that the extremists do not have to defend their wild views against the public consensus. They face much less opposition out here on the fringe of fandom.

Got a smug one here folks.

I love the clowns like this guy who can find a way to rank his fandom higher than the next guy.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: AP85 on January 06, 2017, 07:09:48 am
Got a smug one here folks.

I love the clowns like this guy who can find a way to rank his fandom higher than the next guy.

You do not seem to understand at all, as usual.

We are all extremists here. Lanny and I were the original anti-Nutt people. We created "firehoustonnutt.com."
[CENSORED]!

Hawgar The Horrible

F
Sophomoric
NO Originality
You're going to have to better than that, kid.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 06, 2017, 12:49:44 am
Hogville Presents: Real Men of Genius. Today we salute you, Mr. Overbearingly Self-Righteous Anonymous Message Board Poster. Time and again you've made it a point to tell others that they shouldn't be allowed to speak their opinion on an open forum. You even go so far as to show other anonymous posters that you are a supporter, and you carry the weight. Bravo! Congratulations! Even though your topics get moved to Vent n' Rumors a good chunk of the time, you come back with more just waiting to be sent there again. So go on, continue to tell us that we're all peons in your beautiful and brilliant mind that is all things Razorbacks. So here's to you, Mr. Overbearingly Self-Righteous Anonymous Message Board Poster.

Anyway, here's some comedic relief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4mVHDtkK4
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hogs-n-Roses

At the places I go or were at and heard conversations about"state of the football program", it was near unanimous about the program in general and that was failing. Thought it was not necessarily Bielema's fault. He obviously needed to go. But moreover should have never been hired. The "uncommon schtick is weak and unnecessary.

They're response to that area was that,sure we want our kids to make as high of grades as possible and also stay out of trouble, well duh! But just having passing grades was ok. No need to be Vandy. Sure we want em to stay out of trouble but in reality, 18-24 year old kids are well unpredictable. They could be solid citizens for years and then blow it.

The just I get round the area,Barber shop,coffee shop,church, Christmas parties.... is way different than some of the "more optimistic" fans on here. One consensus I got from folks was this Jeff Long character has no business making our next hire. That and you can't fight 4 n 5 star players wit 3 star talent. In just they feel Coach B's recruiting has sucked. And right now we are woofully behind our competition in this area this year.

The funniest experience I was around this (late season) was at the barbershop. Bout 8-10 guys sitting round discussing politics n football/cheerleaders ;) and the comic in the room pointed out that while at the mizzou game how he and our buddies had sat up there in the stands and pondered the gradepoints of the players on our sideline and their scholastic genius as well as their lack of speed.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:04:27 am

We are all extremists here.

Yes, but some of us are rationally extreme.  While some of us rant about the program, some of the BB fan club rant about other posters.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Gonzo

Quote from: ifghog on January 05, 2017, 02:18:28 pm
9 total wins will be just fine for most fans. I don't think he can get it done but who can? BP never proved he could

?

Go Hogs!

AirWarren

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:04:27 am

We are all extremists here. Lanny and I were the original anti-Nutt people. We created "firehoustonnutt.com."

And?

That doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more valid that the rest of these people. Attendance at every game or not.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Gonzo on January 06, 2017, 10:03:15 am

?

Go Hogs!
Well he did if you give him the same grace lots on here wish to give Bielema. They want us to throw out his first and some say second year.  8)

pigture perfect

I remember a time when a certain coach was assumed to be dispicable by 90% of the fan base according to Hogville. The Demazette or some other paper did an opinion poll on the subject and the disapproval ratings were only in the 40% range. It did prove to be more than the 5% that the pbp guy said was the vocal minority of the fan base.

I think most of us on Hogville belong to the gunslinger club. We have quick, itchy trigger fingers if our teams don't perform as well as they should. I even heard a couple of people call for DVH's head in EI last year. I know we are not normal fans here, but who wants to be. We just need to be rational about it though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Gonzo

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on January 06, 2017, 10:19:17 am
Well he did if you give him the same grace lots on here wish to give Bielema. They want us to throw out his first and some say second year.  8)

I'm not sure of your point, I was questioning the poster's apparent claim that BP never demonstrated being able to win 9 games at the UA. I was thinking they had to be meaning something else, curiousity

Go Hogs!

Athog

At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.

I was at a function which included several foundation members and heard that they were not ready for any Head Coach changes. This shows the wide range of
thoughts and beliefs of hog fans not on Hogville.

Science Fiction Greg

This is the best post and most accurate post in this thread.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on January 06, 2017, 11:56:51 am
This is the best post and most accurate post in this thread.

not when you consider the source.....imho
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: AP85 on January 06, 2017, 10:03:59 am
And?

That doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more valid that the rest of these people. Attendance at every game or not.

What does make my opinion more valid than yours is that I know what I'm talking about.
[CENSORED]!

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 06, 2017, 10:01:05 am
Yes, but some of us are rationally extreme.  While some of us rant about the program, some of the BB fan club rant about other posters.
As do some of the anti CBB posters. It has went both ways.

Deep Shoat

There aren't a lot of Hog fans ready for a change, except in the echo chamber of message boards/call in radio, where the most extreme loud mouths congregate.

More importantly, there is not even a minor rumbling among big boosters and/or University big wigs.
All Gas, No Brakes!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 12:22:17 pm
What does make my opinion more valid than yours is that I know what I'm talking about.

During or immediately after games you (correctly) point out that Bielema didn't have the team prepared and couldn't have coached his way out of a wet paper bag that day.  Then you come on the board and insult people who clamor for a coaching change.

What's the reasoning behind that?  Do you later change your mind, do you think Bielema leaves something to be desired as a coach but is destined to stay anyway, or is it something else?

hogsanity

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 06, 2017, 10:19:43 am

I think most of us on Hogville belong to the gunslinger club. We have quick, itchy trigger fingers if our teams don't perform as well as they should.

NO, it is if the team does not perform as well as THEY think it should. And then they set some level they deem it should perform at that is totally inconsistent with at least the last 50 years of it's performance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2017, 12:47:31 pm
NO, it is if the team does not perform as well as THEY think it should. And then they set some level they deem it should perform at that is totally inconsistent with at least the last 50 years of it's performance.

From 1959, when Broyles got the Arkansas program going, through 2011 the Arkansas football program lost 208 games in 53 years.  That's an average of 3.92 losses per year.  Since 2012, we have lost 34 games in five years...an average of 6.8 per year.

So no, recent results aren't really pretty much equal to our historical average.  Losing almost three more games per season isn't comparable, similar, or any other word you want to use.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
From 1959, when Broyles got the Arkansas program going, through 2011 the Arkansas football program lost 208 games in 53 years.  That's an average of 3.92 losses per year.  Since 2012, we have lost 34 games in five years...an average of 6.8 per year.

So no, recent results aren't really pretty much equal to our historical average.  Losing almost three more games per season isn't comparable, similar, or any other word you want to use.
Are we going to talk about the strength of schedule since 2012 versus the prior 60 years?  Or do you just conveniently ignore that?

Seriously, the SEC-W has been on a historic run since 2012.  I don't just mean Bama, but the entire conference.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Next1_04

Quote from: Boog41 on January 05, 2017, 11:05:20 am
Any message board, with anonymous posters, is very much like a large gang. When things go wrong, it turns into a rioting gang. People in those rioting gangs will do things, say things, destroy things that they would never do by themselves and if they weren't blending in with a crowd. Unfortunately, that is hogville these day.

A vocal minority of anonymous posters make it sound like the entire fan base has turned. That simply is not the case. They are certainly disappointed though.

Yup! We saw how the "Save Bobby" Hogville Rally turned out. Huge impact on the program these days.