Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talking to Some Non-Hogville Razorback Fans

Started by NaturalStateReb, January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Wildhog

I talk to plenty of people IRL that want him gone.  Don't think there's a consensus one way or the other.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

That's the general tone I hear from those who don't post or call in to a show like a rambling idiot. Now, no doubt the latitude for this to continue has shortened, but I don't hear too many foaming at the mouth to fire him.

Biggus Piggus

If you go to any football/basketball games at all - instead of hanging out online all the time - you quickly learn that the vast majority of people (real fans who buy tickets and attend games) don't even know Hogville exists. Compare the dead-certainty of the dark rangers around here vs. the public consensus, and they are a million miles apart.

The shame is that the extremists do not have to defend their wild views against the public consensus. They face much less opposition out here on the fringe of fandom.
[CENSORED]!

Boog41

Any message board, with anonymous posters, is very much like a large gang. When things go wrong, it turns into a rioting gang. People in those rioting gangs will do things, say things, destroy things that they would never do by themselves and if they weren't blending in with a crowd. Unfortunately, that is hogville these day.

A vocal minority of anonymous posters make it sound like the entire fan base has turned. That simply is not the case. They are certainly disappointed though.

Wildhog

Most of the people I talk to IRL aren't very happy with the football program.  Now whether or not they want Bielema gone, I don't know.  But the overwhelming majority of opinions I hear about Hog football right now are negative.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dropkick

T shirt fans won't decide if he goes or stays.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

TexasRazorback

Also We DID NOT steal a win at TCU. We won that game. We tried to give it away and pulled through to win.

Gonzo

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am
At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.

I don't think that's all that different from HV. Sure, there are some more boisterous voices that are ready for and calling for a change now, just as there are some boisterous voices that claim all is well at the same time. I suspect if one were to start a group conversation at the random diner/bar/office Christmas party, one would experience some of the very same voices, though perhaps a bit more polite than it is here often.

Most folks seem to be somewhere in the middle, maybe things are going ok but could be, and hopefully will be, better, or maybe things aren't quite what they should/could be but BB probably deserves a little more time before the jury is ready for final judgment.  Very similar to what you encountered.

Go Hogs!

jgphillips3

Heck, I don't want him fired this year.  I want coaching staff changes but not his head...yet.  I'm willing to give him next season to show improvement and just be ready to make a change when the time comes or enjoy winning if that comes instead.  If there is no substantial progress by the end of 2018, I want us to have "our guy" ready to take the job.  No knee jerk firings.  Let's be strategic and have a plan.  Now, if next year is a four win dumpster fire, well...cut our losses.

East TN HAWG

I think average Hogville members are more fanatic then the average fan.  They read more articles about the Hogs and the other SEC teams, so on average, Hogville posters are more informed than the average fan.

When a coach is entering murky waters, the average Hogville fan turns on them faster than the average fan.  This is the case with CBB.  You can see the movement starting here.  It will reach the average fan about a season later.  As much as I dislike HDN, he is right in saying CBB will be on the hot seat next year.   Next year is a big year for CBB.  If he doesn't win 9, he most likely will be looking for another job. 

Hawgar The Horrible

I know a few Hog fans in my area as well. Some are familiar with Hogville and let's just say their impressions are not good. When asked if I am a member the answer is always HAIL NO.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

code red

If we start the season 2-2...I'd say the majority will be swayed.  I would say that the educated football fan/razorback fan would be able to see that there were fundamental flaws that resulted in losses this year.  Losses,  that should never happen in year 4.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dwillhog66

I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie so there is that but he's a lot more familiar with the football world than most I speak with. His school usually has 5-10 players recruited by colleges with 1-3 being recruited by D1 schools. Many coaches come to his school throughout the recruiting process and he's had the opportunity to spend time with many of them.
I've always taken the opportunity to talk with him about his opinion of the hog coaches he's met. His staff is very close with Clay Jennings and he said he felt it hurt the hogs when he left but they did get a chance to meet BB. He said his staff really likes BB and from conversations he had with other HS coaches they all seem to really like coach Beilema.
He has told me he believes BB will be more successful the longer he stays at Arkansas. He says the hogs are facing an uphill battle getting Houston kids to commit to the UA with all the competition they face but the longer he's there the better the odds will be that the hogs make some serious inroads.
His overall assessment of BB is he's a very solid coach whose in a very tough situation at the UA. He told me he's rooting for BB to succeed as are the other coaches on his staff because they like him a lot.

Just thought I would share what an outsider thinks of our coach.

code red

Quote from: TexasRazorback on January 05, 2017, 11:16:02 am
Also We DID NOT steal a win at TCU. We won that game. We tried to give it away and pulled through to win.
Funny TCU fans are saying we should have lost???  Either way we were an Eye lash away from being 4-7. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Torqued pork

Mostly I just hear a lot of skepticism. The confidence level is very low, but there's not much chatter about firing him. His likability is brought up, but not as much as it was before. The Mizzou and VT wounds are still fresh.

code red

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 05, 2017, 11:57:41 am
Mostly I just hear a lot of skepticism. The confidence level is very low, but there's not much chatter about firing him. His likability is brought up, but not as much as it was before.
That is a very valid point.  And really all that needs to be said at this point.  Time will tell.

The OTR

were these fine people Woopiggers?

Hogist

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 05, 2017, 11:48:30 am
I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie..... He told me he's rooting for BB to succeed

Of course an Aggie fan wants BB to stay at Arkansas. He hasn't beaten his school yet.

JK JK. I know. Context and all. I couldn't resist.  ;)

Sed76

Most of the casual fans I work with and see on a daily basis are pretty blah on football and basketball. Haven't heard anyone calling for coaches heads but have had quite a few make remarks about it being hard to get excited about the Hogs given the results on the field/court.

EastexHawg

Two of my close friends are a Texas grad and an Ohio State grad, respectively.  When talking about Bielema and Arkansas that are at first non-committal, but when asked if they would want him at their schools the answer is a resounding no.  The Texas grad joked that if UT had replaced Strong with Bielema he would have grabbed his .308 and climbed to the top of the Texas Tower.

Hoggish1

You didn't hear it because Hogville might have the largest collection of crazies of all the fan boards.  You aren't hearing it from reasonable fans because they know he is here for at least a year.  You aren't hearing it because for the most part, with some adjustments (a new coach or to), things will get better.

Nobody with half a brain would like to start over after CBB was saddled with one of the worst personnel situations in recent history after BP and Smiley left him with the deepest of holes to get out of.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 05, 2017, 12:14:04 pm
Two of my close friends are a Texas grad and an Ohio State grad, respectively.  When talking about Bielema and Arkansas that are at first non-committal, but when asked if they would want him at their schools the answer is a resounding no.  The Texas grad joked that if UT had replaced Strong with Bielema he would have grabbed his .308 and climbed to the top of the Texas Tower.

Two programs Bielema has offended in the past.  Not that I think Bielema is that level of coach for an Oh St or Texas job.  Oh St has one of the top 2 coaches based on success.  Texas, well Texas likes playing down to weaker competition and thus the spread fascination.  Prima donna soft.  That and Bielema's public persona aren't fits for the white shirts of Texas.  Not surprising neither would want him. 

Lots of common sense.  Perhaps a little too soft on Bielema but not unreasonable. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

January 05, 2017, 12:24:15 pm #24 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:51:47 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 11:02:20 am
If you go to any football/basketball games at all - instead of hanging out online all the time - you quickly learn that the vast majority of people (real fans who buy tickets and attend games) don't even know Hogville exists. Compare the dead-certainty of the dark rangers around here vs. the public consensus, and they are a million miles apart.

The shame is that the extremists do not have to defend their wild views against the public consensus. They face much less opposition out here on the fringe of fandom.
My wife does not budget Hog football and basketball games in for me (I guess by that logic I am a Virginia and Virginia Tech fan), so I am not a real fan, ;) but I do agree with you about the awareness to Hogville.  I have not lived anywhere close to our great state since 1994 and have been a melting pot since then.  During my career, I have met numerous fellow Arkansans and not one of them has ever had an account on here and for the most part, their stance is much different than the vocal minority on here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hoggish1

I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie so there is that but he's a lot more familiar with the football world than most I speak with. His school usually has 5-10 players recruited by colleges with 1-3 being recruited by D1 schools. Many coaches come to his school throughout the recruiting process and he's had the opportunity to spend time with many of them.
I've always taken the opportunity to talk with him about his opinion of the hog coaches he's met. His staff is very close with Clay Jennings and he said he felt it hurt the hogs when he left but they did get a chance to meet BB. He said his staff really likes BB and from conversations he had with other HS coaches they all seem to really like coach Beilema.
He has told me he believes BB will be more successful the longer he stays at Arkansas. He says the hogs are facing an uphill battle getting Houston kids to commit to the UA with all the competition they face but the longer he's there the better the odds will be that the hogs make some serious inroads.
His overall assessment of BB is he's a very solid coach whose in a very tough situation at the UA. He told me he's rooting for BB to succeed as are the other coaches on his staff because they like him a lot.

Just thought I would share what an outsider thinks of our coach.

Thanks for this.  It's a message many on Hogville need to hear.

Dropkick

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 05, 2017, 12:14:04 pm
You might wanna get some new friends..............................

Lanny

You were at the wrong party.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hogsanity

I have a friend here in Houston that is a high school assistant coach. Whenever we see each other we always talk football. He's an Aggie so there is that but he's a lot more familiar with the football world than most I speak with. His school usually has 5-10 players recruited by colleges with 1-3 being recruited by D1 schools.

1-3 d1 players at 1 hs, in some years that is about what the state of Ar produces as a whole.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

al_pigcino

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 11:54:56 am
Funny TCU fans are saying we should have lost???  Either way we were an Eye lash away from being 4-7.
If that's the game we play then we were also a few quarters away from being a 10 win team. 

Tusks

you know that that sound is ?  It's the sound of inevitability .... BB will NEVER go 21-5 and finish ranked #5 .. NEVER.  so all the gnashing of teeth, coaching turnover, recruiting turnover or anything  else will change that.  It's inevitable.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

al_pigcino

Quote from: tusked on January 05, 2017, 01:10:02 pm
you know that that sound is ?  It's the sound of inevitability .... BB will NEVER go 21-5 and finish ranked #5 .. NEVER.  so all the gnashing of teeth, coaching turnover, recruiting turnover or anything  else will change that.  It's inevitable.
You're right.  Apparently finishing 7th followed by 10th is the best he can do. 

Year

Team

Overall

Conference

Standing

Bowl/playoffs

Coaches#

AP°

Wisconsin Badgers (Big Ten Conference) (2006–2012)
2006 Wisconsin 12–1 7–1 T–2nd W Capital One 5 7
2007 Wisconsin 9–4 5–3 4th L Outback 21 24
2008 Wisconsin 7–6 3–5 T–6th L Champs Sports   
2009 Wisconsin 10–3 5–3 T–4th W Champs Sports 16 16
2010 Wisconsin 11–2 7–1 T–1st L Rose† 8 7
2011 Wisconsin 11–3 6–2 1st (Leaders)  L Rose† 11 10
2012 Wisconsin 8–5 4–4 3rd (Leaders)* Rose† 23‡

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 11:12:28 am

There was one significant, although not necessarily big time, donor in the group.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

007 License To Squeal

Twitter traffic says otherwise.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

NaturalStateReb

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 11:12:28 am

How do you know Jeff Long doesn't wear T-shirts.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dropkick

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 01:15:01 pm
There was one significant, although not necessarily big time, donor in the group.
Those are the ones that will influence the decision.

Dropkick

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2017, 01:20:31 pm
How do you know Jeff Long doesn't wear T-shirts.................

I cannot reveal my sources.....................

NaturalStateReb

Hog Fan...DOH!

Over the course of time, it seems to me that the "quicker trigger" firing leads to more bad than good. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lanny on January 05, 2017, 01:03:13 pm
You were at the wrong party.

No kidding. At the party we host at our house every year we took up a collection to fund the buyout. We only came up about $14,999,990 short. But there was one donor missing..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 01:22:23 pm
I cannot reveal my sources.....................

Sources on Hogville.................that's funny!

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 01:06:05 pm
1-3 d1 players at 1 hs, in some years that is about what the state of Ar produces as a whole.

D-I, not SEC, we produce a few more than 1-3.

BigSexyHog

What mess did he take over?  There was no mess here.  Heck we just went to the sugar bowl.  The only mess was that stupid *** as clown John Smith.  I am sick and tired of the excuses by hog fans.  God, some of yall are just pathetic.   Stop making excuses all the time. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

code red

Quote from: BigSexyHog on January 05, 2017, 01:37:53 pm
What mess did he take over?  There was no mess here.  Heck we just went to the sugar bowl.  The only mess was that stupid *** as clown John Smith.  I am sick and tired of the excuses by hog fans.  God, some of yall are just pathetic.   Stop making excuses all the time. 
Ahhhh.  I think it was Cotton.  But yeah I am with you.

NuttinItUp

If we had won 1 of the last 2 games (either Missouri or Va. Tech), the tone would be much better, I think.

It just left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. If we can go on a winning streak next year, people will change their tune.

hobhog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 05, 2017, 01:16:44 pm
Twitter traffic says otherwise.

Most people dont tweet. Most don't do message boards. Most don't call radio shows.

As mentioned earlier, the people who actually go to Hog games and are financial supporters are a lot less extreme than you will find on social media. Thank gawd.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 05, 2017, 01:56:37 pm
If we had won 1 of the last 2 games (either Missouri or Va. Tech), the tone would be much better, I think.

It just left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. If we can go on a winning streak next year, people will change their tune.

Change their tune yet again? That's called schizophrenia.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 05, 2017, 02:05:53 pm
Change their tune yet again? That's called schizophrenia.

Welcome to college football, haha.

Hook 'em Hogs

I think the people at the party are spot on.  Not a good season.  Not one to be satisfied with, but if you've been fairly satisfied with the movement of the program up to this point, firing BB now would be hasty.  As I've stated elsewhere though, a less than "good" season this year puts a lot more pressure on him next year.  If he can't get to double digit wins next year, I for one will lose all confidence in him. 

I'll say this though, Bielema isn't afraid to put it on the line.  I know he ends up looking like a fool sometimes, like when he said "We'll play for 4 quarters, I guarantee it."  What I got out of that though was that he felt confident that they had addressed it over the past three weeks and that they would finish the second half strong.  He was wrong though, and he's accountable for that. 

If he did say that year 5 is our defining year, it's because he feels like it will be.  If it's not, he's accountable for that.  He doesn't mind being accountable for himself, his staff and his players.  I do like that about Bielema.