Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So Gus just blew out the #1 team by 3 TD's

Started by Ben, November 11, 2017, 06:25:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

His 2nd win vs a #1 Team in his 5 years as HC. Arkansas has only beaten a #1 team twice in 50 years.

This guy was in the state most of his life, and was in the backyard as a high school coach. Got us to #5 in his only year at Arkansas, won a national title as a OC, won the SEC and made the national title game his first year as head coach (taking a 3-9 team the year before), and just went to the Sugar Bowl last year.

No reason we shouldn't have picked this guy up in 2012 when he wanted to coach here. But holding petty grudges, we let him go. Now he's busy being successful else where while we are a national embarrassment. It's who we are though I guess...we don't like being elite.

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

JackTNHogfan

I'm younger than some on here but I've been told that we always miss on the right hire.  Or the right hire messes it up with an uncontrollable ego or some other BS...

#snakebit

98hogs

Quote from: Ben on November 11, 2017, 06:25:09 pm
His 2nd win vs a #1 Team in his 5 years as HC. Arkansas has only beaten a #1 team twice in 50 years.

This guy was in the state most of his life, and was in the backyard as a high school coach. Got us to #5 in his only year at Arkansas, won a national title as a OC, won the SEC and made the national title game his first year as head coach (taking a 3-9 team the year before), and just went to the Sugar Bowl last year.

No reason we shouldn't have picked this guy up in 2012 when he wanted to coach here. But holding petty grudges, we let him go. Now he's busy being successful else where while we are a national embarrassment. It's who we are though I guess...we don't like being elite.

This is true

Sed76

He also did it with a team filled with 4 and 5 star players. He wouldn't have that advantage here.

ricepig

Quote from: Sed76 on November 11, 2017, 06:31:23 pm
He also did it with a team filled with 4 and 5 star players. He wouldn't have that advantage here.

Logic......

hoghearted

ah, there's the rub
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

pigmania

Quote from: Ben on November 11, 2017, 06:25:09 pm

Gus haters would rather go 4-8 or 5-7 every single year than hire Gus. They put their hate for him way above the success of the program. It's the me and my hatred first, the football program a far distant second. They are the reason why this football program is where it is today.

Ben

Like I said, at OC here, he had Arkansas at #5 with 10 wins and in the title run till the end of the regular season. The next year without Gus and the same experienced weapons, Arkansas went 8-5
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ben on November 11, 2017, 06:49:09 pm
Like I said, at OC here, he had Arkansas at #5 with 10 wins and in the title run till the end of the regular season. The next year without Gus and the same experienced weapons, Arkansas went 8-5

Not same in 2007 especially defense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.