Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Staples on Paul Finebaum just said coach B

Started by forrest city joe, September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?

EastexHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?

Did Long get bitten by a tsetse fly and just wake up from African sleeping sickness?  This is year five for Bielema at Arkansas.  The "he inherited a mess" excuse, flimsy as it was, expired about the time the roster became stocked with mostly his own recruits.

Long is either a professional liar and con man or a moron.

porkrindjimmy

He still isn't going anywhere this year...

Long has set sail with Bret. Will end up listing on the high seas....

PRJ

HamSammich

Once again, this is a blessing. If long makes another hire we will have grobe or cutcliffe. The definition of insanity is allowing Long to make another hire and expecting a different result.

Kevin

same story long put out there before last year's basketball season, to help Anderson
I said it with Anderson, I will say it with bielema, 5 years is long enough
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

NuttinItUp

He may be gone next year, but buyout is still too big for this year.

jst01

He's right about this year. BB will coach here next season and then he's gone unless he wins 9 games next year IMO. We get another 400 days of Hogville excitement until then...

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 03:21:50 pm

PRJ

Yep, 2018 at the earliest.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: jst01 on September 20, 2017, 03:24:47 pm
He's right about this year. BB will coach here next season and then he's gone unless he wins 9 games next year IMO. We get another 400 days of Hogville excitement until then...

And schedule is soft enough next year for that to happen...

PRJ

GoHogs1091

We have essentially become the Vanderbilt of the SEC West.

With the exception that Vanderbilt beat a ranked team last week.  Bielema doesn't beat ranked teams.  His forte is 2nd half (both 3rd and 4th quarter) failure.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Different sports and situation--- but how did you feel about Mike Anderson finishing .500 in year 6?  How do you feel about him now? 

Long said Arkansas is not a "win at all cost" program.  That means we don't want to cheat or recruit felons, right?  Does that really mean we don't want to win? 

ricepig

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 20, 2017, 03:37:49 pm
Different sports and situation--- but how did you feel about Mike Anderson finishing .500 in year 6?  How do you feel about him now? 

Long said Arkansas is not a "win at all cost" program.  That means we don't want to cheat or recruit felons, right?  Does that really mean we don't want to win? 

Correct, but all the cool kids say it means we don't want to win.....

HamSammich

Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2017, 03:39:39 pm
Correct, but all the cool kids say it means we don't want to win.....

I think the point is that long said it to begin with. He didn't need to say it. It came off as an excuse for mediocrity. Like it or not.

FraggleHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 03:27:31 pm

With the exception that Vanderbilt beat a ranked team last week.  Bielema doesn't beat ranked teams.  His forte is 2nd half (both 3rd and 4th quarter) failure.

Bielema has beaten 7 ranked teams since '14... I get your vitriol and displeasure towards Bielema, but don't make incorrect statements.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Atlhogfan1

Doubt either coaches' ceiling at Arkansas is as high as it should be.  One is coach for life.   Doubt the other one is here too many more years even if he figures out how to win more than he loses.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 03:21:50 pm

PRJ
I don't know what to think Jimmy. i read a post last night that he better start winning now or he is gone. now i hear what Staples said.

porkrindjimmy

This tired argument again. I will break Mike Anderson down for you. He is more secure in his job than Bret is...and Bret is pretty secure, at least for the next year.

Anderson is like family to alot of folks. Was here almost 20 years as an assistant the first time. Was part of showing Arkansas fans that we can have nice things. Last year took the eventual NC to the wire. Exciting, sitting on the edge of our seats. Screaming at the top of our lungs. Investing heart and soul in every possession down the stretch. It's excitement dude...not losing huge 2nd half leads.

You have a 30, 35 game season in basketball. Lulls happen...
You got but 12 of them in football.

PRJ

jcbville

I think if you look at everything unemotionally and put it together he basically gave CBB a 7 year deal.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
I don't know what to think Jimmy. i read a post last night that he better start winning now or he is gone. now i hear what Staples said.

He is safe unless he went winless from here on out and I still think he wouldn't go anywhere...and next year's schedule lines up pretty sweet for him to win 8.

PRJ

GoHogs1091

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 20, 2017, 03:41:24 pm
Bielema has beaten 7 ranked teams since '14... I get your vitriol and displeasure towards Bielema, but don't make incorrect statements.

I would have to look it up, but probably some of those 7 shouldn't have even been ranked when we played them.  Also, there is the aspect of how many of them ended the season ranked.

A lot of the 7 probably had some sort of internal disarray going on when we played them.  I presume our own internal mediocrity/disarray was less than theirs which helped us to get a win.

Poker_hog

Let me translate that for you:

Long made a mistake gambling that bert wouldn't still be struggling in year 5.  He lost that bet however he can't afford to pay the bet so he'll say whatever he can weasel out of paying.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 03:48:07 pm
I would have to look it up, but probably some of those 7 shouldn't have even been ranked when we played them.  Also, there is the aspect of how many of them ended the season ranked.

A lot of the 7 probably had some sort of internal disarray going on when we played them.  I presume our own internal mediocrity/disarray was less than theirs which helped us to get a win.

Lol, well try not to move to the goalposts too far........

MJ2

Long wants a buyout too and he may get what he wants.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: jst01 on September 20, 2017, 03:24:47 pm

i agree. this sounds and feels about right.

The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: MJ2 on September 20, 2017, 03:57:26 pm
Long wants a buyout too and he may get what he wants.

That's the only way you'll see a change after this year.

Dropkick

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 03:27:31 pm

Uninformed or JMSU?

jkstock04

I've wondered about this a lot too. I have a sneaky, nasty suspicion it's been this mentality the entire time we have been in the SEC. Its just now coming to a head with Bielema.

I've only began to take notice the past 2 or 3 years. But yes...winning football games isn't much of a priority for the university of Arkansas. Especially with Jeff Long here...it's simply about the $$$.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
Did Long get bitten by a tsetse fly and just wake up from African sleeping sickness?  This is year five for Bielema at Arkansas.  The "he inherited a mess" excuse, flimsy as it was, expired about the time the roster became stocked with mostly his own recruits.

Long is either a professional liar and con man or a moron.

Or the one thing some of you can't stand, he is a dang fine AD and is doing a job approved of by his bosses.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

It's really not that complicated guys.

Bret was brought in to rebuild the program completely. Not just the players or the scheme. The culture. And he's done it, and done it the kind of way  that makes me proud to be a Hog fan, and makes Jeff proud to have Bret around. It's why so many people are still defending CBB and saying to give him time, because we WANT him to succeed here. I'm one of them.

Like Long said, of course we want more wins. Winning is huge. If Bret doesn't start winning more, then he's going to be fired. But the amount of turnover this school has had, and the amount of bad decisions made by coaches in the later years of their reign, had left the program in a very bad way. Bret Bielema extinguished the fire. If he's unable to actually build upon the rubble, that's a shame. But he's done a good job of changing the toxicity that was in the Arkansas football program after the last 2 coaches.

If we lose this weekend, I'm going to have to step off the Bert wagon. And I will feel super bad about it, because I really, really like the guy. I want to win the right way, just like JL and CBB, but at some point, the wins have to start coming.

sickboy

I want to preface this by saying I am most definitely not saying you're stupid. I'm sure you are prefectly intelligent. But that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Again, not saying you're stupid. Just what you have said is stupid. I say stuid things all the time too.

But you're saying that we are Vanderbilt because the numerous ranked teams we have beaten are mostly teams that don't deserve to be ranked?!

Repeat that back in your head. You honestly believe that?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 20, 2017, 04:02:51 pm
I've wondered about this a lot too. I have a sneaky, nasty suspicion it's been this mentality the entire time we have been in the SEC. Its just now coming to a head with Bielema.

I've only began to take notice the past 2 or 3 years. But yes...winning football games isn't much of a priority for the university of Arkansas. Especially with Jeff Long here...it's simply about the $$$.

Then why the hundreds of millions put into facilities?  To fool the fans into having hope and still buying tix?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on September 20, 2017, 04:03:13 pm
Or the one thing some of you can't stand, he is a dang fine AD and is doing a job approved of by his bosses.
He got famous for firing Bobby Petrino. Great for him.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorbackers

Quote from: sickboy on September 20, 2017, 04:06:02 pm
I want to preface this by saying I am most definitely not saying you're stupid. I'm sure you are prefectly intelligent. But that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Again, not saying you're stupid. Just what you have said is stupid. I say stuid things all the time too.

But you're saying that we are Vanderbilt because the numerous ranked teams we have beaten are mostly teams that don't deserve to be ranked?!

Repeat that back in your head. You honestly believe that?

If they were so good, we wouldn't have beat them, I guess.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dropkick on September 20, 2017, 04:02:37 pm
Uninformed or JMSU?

Neither.

We have essentially become the team in the SEC West that the other SEC West teams get a guaranteed win to bolster their season.  Just like SEC East teams getting a guaranteed win against Vanderbilt.

Bielema's 0-4 against Alabama, and his 0-4 against Texas A&M exemplifies it.

But, what really exemplifies it is Bielema's 2-6 total against Auburn and Mississippi State.

jmark

one more year is another closer to saban leaving. 
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Stewhog 11

We don't beat ranked teams except for when we beat ranked teams but I'm not talking about THOSE ranked teams.

hawgon

Oh, we'll see.  These two guys, Long and Bielema, don't really have any idea how bad it can get at Arkansas.  Being around for the tail end of Nutt, Long thinks he does, but he really hasn't seen anything yet.

Stewhog 11

Also, I checked and in that time frame we have beaten 6 teams that finish the year in the top 25. So you're still wrong.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on September 20, 2017, 04:20:20 pm
Also, I checked and in that time frame we have beaten 6 teams that finish the year in the top 25. So you're still wrong.

Thanks for looking it up.

Those wins definitely shows that the following old saying is real.

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then."  :)

Stewhog 11

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 04:26:38 pm
Thanks for looking it up.

Those wins definitely shows that the following old saying is real.

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then."  :)

If I see a hog pick up 6 acorns I might have a few questions but none of them are, "I wonder if it's blind?"

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgon on September 20, 2017, 04:16:38 pm
Oh, we'll see.  These two guys, Long and Bielema, don't really have any idea how bad it can get at Arkansas.  Being around for the tail end of Nutt, Long thinks he does, but he really hasn't seen anything yet.
If we bomb this year and win 3-5 games it'll get super nasty. I talked to a guy who has been a season ticket holder for 30 plus years...I value his opinion. He said Bielema will probably make it this year simply because of Jeff Long/buyout but he also said it's about to get really really nasty and there is a possibility if the wheels completely fall off both Long and Bielema get pushed out together simply by the uglyness.

Long is excellent at damage control...that's what he does best in the offseason. But if we truly implode (which I believe we will if we lose to A&M) I agree with that old man, this is gonna get super nasty. Steefs thread about things getting personal with Bielema? Lol you ain't seen nothing yet.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pigstie

Win or Lose, the masses will decide when CBB goes. If the day comes that only 36,000 show up at Razorback Stadium as they did in LR, he's gone. Eventually the Razorback Foundation will start bleeding cash and suites will be empty. Whether that is this year, next year, or 2025, the masses will decide.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 03:43:33 pm
This tired argument again. I will break Mike Anderson down for you. He is more secure in his job than Bret is...and Bret is pretty secure, at least for the next year.

Anderson is like family to alot of folks. Was here almost 20 years as an assistant the first time. Was part of showing Arkansas fans that we can have nice things. Last year took the eventual NC to the wire. Exciting, sitting on the edge of our seats. Screaming at the top of our lungs. Investing heart and soul in every possession down the stretch. It's excitement dude...not losing huge 2nd half leads.

You have a 30, 35 game season in basketball. Lulls happen...
You got but 12 of them in football.

PRJ

It was a question, not an argument.  Thanks for "breaking it down" for me, though. 

Feel free to refresh the Jump Ball forum after last year's Mizzou loss, though.  I do agree that after 6 complete seasons, the bball program is exciting and I love where the program is headed.  I don't agree that MA is "coach for life".  Neither is CBB. 

The point of my question was, is being patient the same thing as not caring about winning?

BILLYBOB

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 20, 2017, 04:03:50 pm

Bret was brought in to rebuild the program completely. Not just the players or the scheme. The culture. And he's done it, and done it the kind of way  that makes me proud to be a Hog fan, and makes Jeff proud to have Bret around. It's why so many people are still defending CBB and saying to give him time, because we WANT him to succeed here. I'm one of them.

Like Long said, of course we want more wins. Winning is huge. If Bret doesn't start winning more, then he's going to be fired. But the amount of turnover this school has had, and the amount of bad decisions made by coaches in the later years of their reign, had left the program in a very bad way. Bret Bielema extinguished the fire. If he's unable to actually build upon the rubble, that's a shame. But he's done a good job of changing the toxicity that was in the Arkansas football program after the last 2 coaches.

If we lose this weekend, I'm going to have to step off the Bert wagon. And I will feel super bad about it, because I really, really like the guy. I want to win the right way, just like JL and CBB, but at some point, the wins have to start coming.

Good post. I'm with you.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jmark on September 20, 2017, 04:12:52 pm
one more year is another closer to saban leaving. 

Perhaps, but he may be there long enough to get a future round of SEC Head Coaches fired.

He is on the verge of getting the following fired.

Sumlin
Malzahn
Bielema
Jones

Depending on who gets hired to replace the above, Saban may be at Alabama long enough to get the above's replacement fired.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 20, 2017, 04:03:50 pm

I disagree...he hasn't extinguished anything. The program has been nothing but unfounded offseason hype. His main accomplishments here are off the field stuff, which may or may not be what pump you up as a fan on Saturday's. For me...it just doesn't do it. What pumps me up is good football play by the Hogs.

The problem here is you put the coach above the program. Bret Bielema is bigger than the Arkansas Razorbacks to you. I'll never understand why people put these temporary coaches up on a pedestal like this...but you are far from alone, it's an epidemic.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

arkansasbred

I guess I am in the minority that agree winning isn't everything. Now don't get me wrong, Bielema is paid to win. But I think an average of 8 per year with every few years having a chance at a BCS bowl is great for us. In this day and age we cannot compete for a national championship every season like some of you think. W are graduating  young men, keeping them out of trouble, and running a good clean program. I'm good with where we are. Now if we win 5-6 this year and next that's another story. We are 1-1 and the season is young. Who's to say we don't win 8 this year and 9 next.

I know y'all are gonna say well it's year 5 and no BCS bowl. In my estimation that clock didn't start until year 3. Our program was terrible when he took over.

hawgon

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 20, 2017, 04:39:21 pm
If we bomb this year and win 3-5 games it'll get super nasty. I talked to a guy who has been a season ticket holder for 30 plus years...I value his opinion. He said Bielema will probably make it this year simply because of Jeff Long/buyout but he also said it's about to get really really nasty and there is a possibility if the wheels completely fall off both Long and Bielema get pushed out together simply by the uglyness.

Long is excellent at damage control...that's what he does best in the offseason. But if we truly implode (which I believe we will if we lose to A&M) I agree with that old man, this is gonna get super nasty. Steefs thread about things getting personal with Bielema? Lol you ain't seen nothing yet.

Bielema is too big of a tiddy baby to take what is coming his way if he doesn't start winning.  Remember this is the nitwit who cries at press conferences.  He'll be crying alright...

woodrow hog call

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 20, 2017, 04:12:46 pm
Neither.

We have essentially become the team in the SEC West that the other SEC West teams get a guaranteed win to bolster their season.  Just like SEC East teams getting a guaranteed win against Vanderbilt.

Bielema's 0-4 against Alabama, and his 0-4 against Texas A&M exemplifies it.

But, what really exemplifies it is Bielema's 2-6 total against Auburn and Mississippi State.

BUT HE IS 1-1 FOR 2017, That's what's so crazy about all of this hand wringing, and wailing.
Why can we not let the season play out, or at the very least, wait until we are mathematically eliminated from winning the SEC West?
Because right now we  HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE CONFERENCE GAME.

When it comes time for JL to hire another football coach, he will be able to look them square in the eye and say, " I thought the last guy would be able to get it done, but he was not, however I gave him plenty of time to turn things around. Now the program is in much better shape because of that. We are looking for stability in the program, but we still demand winning at a high rate and running a clean program."
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"