Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RWIII

Started by DallasHogFan, April 29, 2017, 12:35:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 01, 2017, 01:07:57 pm
Just what I was thinking but I hope RWIII is fine and cleared to play. I believe the family trusts Coach B. and if he plays, its because all parties have talked though every contingency.

If he does come back though, I'll wince every time he takes a big hit anywhere in the upper body and neck area. I had a kid get hurt in a high school game and it took everything I had to keep it together while the doctors were looking him over.

Yeah, I am afraid I will be worried every time he takes a hit should he decide to return. I know every player on the field runs the risk of serious injury on every single snap but... I don't know
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hogfan58

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 11:48:46 am
I have a weird gut feeling that he may say 'enough'.......

I think Mom will say it before he will
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

a0ashle

More than one GB player has gone unsigned due to serious neck/nerve issues. Jermichael Finley was one.

tzthib

So if he does decide to hang 'em up, what happens to his scholarship? I have always wondered what happens to the scholarship of a player who ends up getting a career-ending injury. I'd hope they get to keep it, since they have more than paid for their tuition with whatever terrible injury the received on the field.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tzthib on May 01, 2017, 02:37:54 pm
So if he does decide to hang 'em up, what happens to his scholarship? I have always wondered what happens to the scholarship of a player who ends up getting a career-ending injury. I'd hope they get to keep it, since they have more than paid for their tuition with whatever terrible injury the received on the field.
They do it is called a medical retirement or something.

WilsonHog

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on it, but I think it's pretty common for a school to honor a kid's schools so he can go ahead and get his degree. Not only the right thing to do, but also money well spent from a public relations/recruiting standpoint.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 01, 2017, 01:27:34 pm
Yeah, I am afraid I will be worried every time he takes a hit should he decide to return. I know every player on the field runs the risk of serious injury on every single snap but... I don't know

When a kid is laying motionless on the field after a head or neck area shot and then the ambulance and stretcher rolls out, it hits you in the gut and it makes no difference which teams player it is.

I had 3 boys that played football (through pee wee and all the way up to high school) and I've seen plenty of kids with spindly, pencil thin necks get nailed helmet to helmet and every time they get up you breathe a sigh of relief.

So, I can only imagine what it must be like for the mom and dad watching RWIII being slow to get up after a big hit, especially with his history.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 11:48:46 am
I have a weird gut feeling that he may say 'enough'.......

Me too and I don't blame him a bit
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2017, 02:41:10 pm
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on it, but I think it's pretty common for a school to honor a kid's schools so he can go ahead and get his degree. Not only the right thing to do, but also money well spent from a public relations/recruiting standpoint.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/i-trusted-em-when-ncaa-schools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/

I can't think of any arkansas players who weren't given a medical scholarship, but I can imagine it would be difficult for a school short of finances to begin with to do that. It is surprising that schools have no obligation though for the medical care of student athletes who get injured during on field activities.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawginbigd1

I don't like the fact we aren't hearing anything definitive at this point. Maybe the Doctors are just being hyper sensitive about the situation, but his last tweet along with nothing following seems to be a bad sign.

RaisinHog

Yes I'm pretty nervous ..So many things in effect here ..

LZH

Quote from: hogfan58 on May 01, 2017, 02:19:50 pm

I bet Mom said it last year....but it's his call.  We'll see.  But,like Hendrix said, "I gotta real bad ol' feelin'...."

RWIII has given us all he's had for his time here.  No matter what, I hope we give him all we have either way he goes.  And I believe the University, Head Coach, Staff, players and the entire fan base will do exactly that.  I hope the injury is minor and he is OK and soon.  If there is any shadow of doubt about him playing contact sports, I want him to QUIT NOW.  He has a huge life ahead of him and spending it in a wheelchair when it could easily be avoided is the smart way to go.

hoglady

Quote from: 12247 on May 01, 2017, 05:36:54 pm
RWIII has given us all he's had for his time here.  No matter what, I hope we give him all we have either way he goes.  And I believe the University, Head Coach, Staff, players and the entire fan base will do exactly that.  I hope the injury is minor and he is OK and soon.  If there is any shadow of doubt about him playing contact sports, I want him to QUIT NOW.  He has a huge life ahead of him and spending it in a wheelchair when it could easily be avoided is the smart way to go.

Amen - nice post.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogMantheIntruder

This was worth repeating. Well said.

I hope RWIII knows that he will always be loved in the state of Arkansas, and that the fan base wants Rawliegh to put Rawliegh first right now.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

STLhawg

I hope the young man fully recovers, but even if he does I think it's time for him to hang up the cleats.  I don't believe any Razorback fan (in his right mind) would question that decision or think any less of him.  Thoughts and prayers to RWIII and his entire family.

Pig in the Pokey

she said it last time. it's not her choice.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: STLhawg on May 01, 2017, 07:21:52 pm
I hope the young man fully recovers, but even if he does I think it's time for him to hang up the cleats.  I don't believe any Razorback fan (in his right mind) would question that decision or think any less of him.  Thoughts and prayers to RWIII and his entire family.
I see where you are coming from but the decision is totally up to Rawleigh III. The young man is intelligent and will weigh the pro's and cons from every angle. Once he makes that decision, IMHO, either way he goes, Razorback fans should quit talking about it. Especially if he decides to come back and play. Doctors will tell you he's no more likely to sustain a traumatic injury which will put him in a wheel chair than any other player on the team. If that were the case he wouldn't be allowed to suit up for the Hogs. So if he says "yes" to returning, I'm no MOD but I hope they trash every thread about Rawleigh and his past. The last thing the young man needs to be thinking about is getting hurt and then before every game a thread pops up about "pray for RIII". This is counterproductive. Anyway, long way to say whatever Rawleigh decides we need to go with 100%.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WilsonHog

HogFoo

I believe his mother did tell him last year that she didn't want him to play anymore.  RWlll made the decision to return.  He's a smart kid.  Me personally I think he should be checked out see ehats up and if there is anything not cool he should retire from playing.  I actually think he should retire now   anyways.  But, I figure he is gonna try to come back regardless of what others opinions are.  I figure unless the Dr says another hit and he's done he is coming back.  Heck he had told Bielema after it happened he wanted to get up and walk away and how embarrassing it was to be laying there but they wouldn't let him get up.  So , like I said, unless the Dr is saying one more hit and it's over, I believe the kid is coming back.  If he does, man I'll be like everyone else every time he takes a hit I'm gonna cringe until he gets up and walks back to the huddle.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Porked Tongue

I have no insider knowledge on this but I don't expect him to return.

Either way, thanks for being a Hog RW!

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2017, 09:04:43 pm
I have no insider knowledge on this but I don't expect him to return.

Either way, thanks for being a Hog RW!

He was dismissed from the hospital today, I think his heart says play, but his mind says it's time to give it up. I suspect in the end that's what will happen.

Justagp

You summed this up perfectly - thank you!!

supersaint

They keep it. Happened to me. Also a neck injury.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bhogs05

He needs to do what is best for him and his future and i think Brett will have no problem telling him that...where as i think some coaches would want to do whats best for their team instead. A neck injury is nothing to mess around with..wish him nothing but the best no matter what he decides 

HognitiveDissonance

I think he'll  be back.
I love going to football games and watching football as much as anyone.
But I'll use this as another opportunity to wish the game of football would just go away. And I think it gradually will over the next 30-40 years. Society will get less barbaric and finally put an end to it.
The human body was NOT MADE to collide with other bodies like that.
Time for football to cease.

Other sports are fine. Basketball is a graceful game, small chance of traumatic injury. Track and Field, same thing. Baseball slight risk, but not much.

Football and boxing have to go.

CarolinaSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 01, 2017, 10:26:43 pm
Society will get less barbaric and finally put an end to it.

UFC says "hello".

pigture perfect

I remember being a fan of Jermaine Taylor. As much as I was proud of him for his comebacks, I was ready for him to retire after the 2nd fight with Kelly Pavlik. When I saw him lay there and quiver I thought they had killed him. I don't want to see the same thing with Rawleigh.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

STLhawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 01, 2017, 07:33:34 pm
I see where you are coming from but the decision is totally up to Rawleigh III.
I didn't intend to imply otherwise.   

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 01, 2017, 07:33:34 pm
Doctors will tell you he's no more likely to sustain a traumatic injury which will put him in a wheel chair than any other player on the team.
I'm not so sure they will be telling him that this time.

The Kig

I think he'll  be back.
But I'll use this as another opportunity to wish the game of football would just go away. And I think it gradually will over the next 30-40 years. Society will get less barbaric and finally put an end to it.

Other sports are fine. Basketball is a graceful game, small chance of traumatic injury. Track and Field, same thing. Baseball slight risk, but not much.

While I agree that the physicality of football limits and even ends many players participation, humanity has an insatiable appetite for violence.  Boxing hasn't given way to MMA because it was too violent.  Quite the opposite.  It failed because it became too predictable (fixed) and the element of brutality was regulated.  MMA grew by removing some of the limits and gave the public their gladiator fix. 

If football wanes, it will only be because the public found another outlet to sate their thirst that is more violent.
Poker Porker

Iwastherein1969

this whole page of RWIII is filled with conjecture....one imagines if RWIII was mentally fine with what happened he's not anymore, we Hog fans made sure of that once again proving we know what's better for a player than the player himself...smh
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 02, 2017, 01:34:38 am
this whole page of RWIII is filled with conjecture....one imagines if RWIII was mentally fine with what happened he's not anymore, we Hog fans made sure of that once again proving we know what's better for a player than the player himself...smh

Um, huh?

SRV

Absolutely.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hogfan58

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2017, 07:25:42 pm
she said it last time. it's not her choice.

He convinced her last time and she said OK.....I think he will have a much more difficult time trying to convince her this time. The "hit" was not that bad....and it caused whatever to happen to him.

I just think she will say his health and possibility for something bad is too great. 
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

tusksincolorado

I think he'll  be back.

Same with Hockey, NASCAR, Lacrosse, Rugby, Sumo wrestling, Soccer....Heck let's just give it all up and give everyone a "participation trophy"!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Al Boarland

@jasonkersey: @The3rdRawleigh had same surgery Peyton Manning had on his neck.  Docs say no way to reinjure but family has to hesitate now

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 02, 2017, 08:23:07 am
@jasonkersey: @The3rdRawleigh had same surgery Peyton Manning had on his neck.  Docs say no way to reinjure but family has to hesitate now

Injuring the repaired vertebrae is most likely not gonna happen.  However, injuring the vertebrae on either side of the repair "could be" more likely as they must compensate for the fused vertebrae.

That said, a neck injury is a risk in any sport.  Charles Krauthammer injured his neck jumping into a pool.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 02, 2017, 08:28:49 am
Injuring the repaired vertebrae is most likely not gonna happen.  However, injuring the vertebrae on either side of the repair "could be" more likely as they must compensate for the fused vertebrae.

That said, a neck injury is a risk in any sport.  Charles Krauthammer injured his neck jumping into a pool.

Agreed.  I wouidn't want to be in a position to have to make that decision.  Worst case if stepping away from the game is a college education.  Worst case playing the game doesn't have as happy an ending.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: tusksincolorado on May 02, 2017, 08:03:46 am
Same with Hockey, NASCAR, Lacrosse, Rugby, Sumo wrestling, Soccer....Heck let's just give it all up and give everyone a "participation trophy"!
Fine by me. I don't watch any of them.
I would miss football with my heart, but my brain is telling me the sport is stupid.
Football leads the way of all those sports in risk of violent injury...broken bones, concussions, bruises, and even paralysis and/or death.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 02, 2017, 08:30:49 am
Agreed.  I wouidn't want to be in a position to have to make that decision.  Worst case if stepping away from the game is a college education.  Worst case playing the game doesn't have as happy an ending.

I would be shocked if RW3's scholarship is not honored for the full four years regardless of his football decision

Al Boarland

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 02, 2017, 10:29:41 am
I would be shocked if RW3's scholarship is not honored for the full four years regardless of his football decision

Agreed.  That's standard operating procedure for college football programs.  Probably all sports programs.

NoogaHog

It usually is honored, especially at big schools. I think a previous caller referred to it. It is called retiring or medically unable to participate. The schools are prepared for this contingency and keep a few kids on scholly in these cases. It is different than a kid just walking away from the program or being dismissed.

On another note, I think the reason we haven't heard anything is because the Williams family are contemplating and praying. There is really nothing to say until they make their plans public. We just have to be patient and it will come out when it is time. They really don't owe us anything. Just make the best decision for you and your family and we are behind you. WPS!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hoglady

I don't think anyone here is trying to tell him what to do.
Most fans are concerned, just really concerned for his future health.
They are expressing that concern in this thread.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

bphi11ips

this whole page of RWIII is filled with conjecture

Yep.  smh, too, not because I want to see RWIII in a Hogs uniform, but because the report is a stinger and because he said, "Let me up coach, this is embarrassing."

Players get stingers all the time.  RWIII led the SEC in rushing with his neck injury healed. If he suffered a stinger that isn't related to his neck injury, why would he quit now?  If his injury Saturday was related to the old injury or increases the chances of serious future injury, well, that's a different story, but not the one we've heard so far. 

We'll all love Rawleigh and his family no matter what he does.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogcard1964

I'm puzzled why he he's been allowed to take hits during non game settings?  Seems like something as life changing as this would be handled a bit better.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 02, 2017, 10:29:41 am

It will be, just like Alex Brignoni's was, or any other player who can't play anymore, it's a medical scholarship and doesn't count against any of the numbers.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 02, 2017, 11:42:04 am
I'm puzzled why he he's been allowed to take hits during non game settings?  Seems like something as life changing as this would be handled a bit better.

Wait. That may be the single dumbest thing I've ever seen posted. So you're of the opinion that a game setting would be the best place for him to take a hit the first time? He's a football player. He's going to have to take hits. A controlled environment is much preferable to a game situation.

hoglady

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 02, 2017, 11:41:34 am
Yep.  smh, too, not because I want to see RWIII in a Hogs uniform, but because the report is a stinger and because he said, "Let me up coach, this is embarrassing."

Players get stingers all the time.  RWIII led the SEC in rushing with his neck injury healed. If he suffered a stinger that isn't related to his neck injury, why would he quit now?  If his injury Saturday was related to the old injury or increases the chances of serious future injury, well, that's a different story, but not the one we've heard so far. 

We'll all love Rawleigh and his family no matter what he does.

Well - even Bo Mattingly said on his show yesterday it sure seems like it could have been more than a stinger. That Raleigh was having tingling and numbness in his arms and hands on Sunday morning.
So when you hear that - of course, it leads to conjecture.

jry04

Quote from: hoglady on May 02, 2017, 11:54:46 am
Well - even Bo Mattingly said on his show yesterday it sure seems like it could have been more than a stinger. That Raleigh was having tingling and numbness in his arms and hands on Sunday morning.
So when you hear that - of course, it leads to conjecture.
He also said as of yesterday morning he was under the impression RW3 was still in the hospital.

hoglady

Quote from: jry04 on May 02, 2017, 11:56:55 am
He also said as of yesterday morning he was under the impression RW3 was still in the hospital.

You're right - he said that, too.
But I think Raleigh did get out of the hospital at some point yesterday.