Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just Ken Hatfield

Started by ocsm158, April 21, 2017, 08:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ocsm158

Saw Ken Hatfield eating breakfast yesterday at Isabella in HSV. He looks like he could still play. Probably overall my favorite hogs coach to date.

RagingHawgOn

nchogg

I also liked Coach Hatfield.

DeltaBoy

I meet him several  times at FCA events back in the 80's . He was always a super nice man.
Glad to hear HE is doing well.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawg IQ

As a person, he was/is one of the best, but the wishbone was like watching paint dry. I wrote him a letter once asking how he could make his offense more exciting to watch. He replied with a " you go be a fan and I'll go be a coach" answer. So that what I done and we all know what he done.

I like Ken Hatfield, just think he needs to do what he's doing and I'm still a hog fan !
go hogs go !

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I lived across the street and 2 doors down from him on College St in Helena back when he played.
He was always nice to us annoying little kids who idolized him because he was a Razorback..

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

hogcard1964

The Hawg Marshal

He was a great Razorback. Not my favorite coach though.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ocsm158 on April 21, 2017, 08:50:47 am
Saw Ken Hatfield eating breakfast yesterday at Isabella in HSV. He looks like he could still play. Probably overall my favorite hogs coach to date.

Was our coach when I was a student. Our bowl record was crap, but man it was fun rocking the stadium during the season.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

code red

I like winning so I like Hatfield.  Super human being and profound Christian.  What's not to like?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

goodguytex

He's a really great human being,  and the offense he ran at the time was very successful. The Hogs won a lot of games with him as HC. He didnt learn how to adapt his offense to fit the changing times of college football. That inability to adapt ended his coaching career. But his character is undeniably something all should respect.

oldfart

has he remarried? i know the loss of his wife was a crushing blow to all who knew her...

longtimeHogfan

When we were living in Florida he came to our part of the state on a recruiting trip from Clemson one time.  Saw him in a restaurant down there, said hi, shook his hand, visited.  Thanked him for his time at Arkansas.  Very approachable.  And he remembers that encounter 'cause I saw him in Fayetteville last year, reminded him of our chance meeting and he asked how I'd liked the jumbo shrimp in that restaurant. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: oldfart on April 21, 2017, 02:24:42 pm
has he remarried? i know the loss of his wife was a crushing blow to all who knew her...
I think I saw something recently that indicated he had. Yeah, I remember when Sandy (?) his first wife passed away. It really hit him hard. Good man as well.

Biggus Piggus

Beat a lot of bad football teams. Lost too many of his games against legitimate opponents. That is why Ken Hatfield was unpopular when he left Arkansas. And he was that.
[CENSORED]!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 21, 2017, 05:03:25 pm
Beat a lot of bad football teams. Lost too many of his games against legitimate opponents. That is why Ken Hatfield was unpopular when he left Arkansas. And he was that.

There's some truth to that, also a lot of Broyles fans that disliked him immensely and would rather have hired JJ.

If you talked to 10 people that disliked Hatfield, you'd probably get 10 answers. IMO.
This is my non-signature signature.

ChitownHawg

55-17 with two straight conference titles. That was good enough for me to be happy.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Birminghog

Quote from: code red on April 21, 2017, 11:52:42 am
I like winning so I like Hatfield.  Super human being and profound Christian.  What's not to like?

I personally like that Martha Harp fresh fried chicken. And those Martha Harp rolls are deLISHious!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: oldfart on April 21, 2017, 02:24:42 pm

Yes he has.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

warriorlion

We got lucky enough to run in to him and his wife at the Texas bowl  a few years ago.  He was standing in the crowd waiting on band to enter the stadium and I asked my son who was 13 if he wanted a picture with one of the greatest hog players and coaches of all time.  Coach loved being there and talking to the fans and I apologized to his wife for bringing all of that attention on him cause no one around had recognized him but she said he loved talking to fans and he took pictures with everyone that wanted one. He still loves the hogs and he is still one of my all time favorite coaches.

East Clintwood

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 21, 2017, 10:28:28 am
As a person, he was/is one of the best, but the wishbone was like watching paint dry. I wrote him a letter once asking how he could make his offense more exciting to watch. He replied with a " you go be a fan and I'll go be a coach" answer. So that what I done and we all know what he done.

I like Ken Hatfield, just think he needs to do what he's doing and I'm still a hog fan !

His offense at Air Force was innovative and exciting.  He forgot all of that when he moved to Arkansas and just kept the boring parts.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hollywood870

My favorite coach of the Hogs.

nchogg

People don't talk about all the influence Coach Broyles had on our football team once he became AD. He always had his hand in the cookie jar. I liked him as our football coach but did not like his meddling in the football program. He did that with every coach he hired. Yes opinions are like AH's, everybody has one.

The_Iceman

I wonder how many newer Hogville people don't understand the threads Title.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on April 21, 2017, 10:59:57 am
He was a great Razorback. Not my favorite coach though.

OH, gosh, I know what you mean. . .he only won what?  80% of his games!  What a horrible coach!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: code red on April 21, 2017, 11:52:42 am

Overall nice guy but stubborn as a mule and did not like the off field stuff required of a coach.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

Good coach, great Hog, not even top 4 on the list.
Maybe/probably 6.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

threeNout

How different that would have been had Atwater caught that easy interception in Miami.

At the peak of what he had built, we did what many thought was impossible and outplayed the #1 team on their turf,  so easily could have been 11-0 playing for an NC.  So I can't challenge your statement, but it deserves that side-note.

Hatfield was a GREAT coach, but like every other Arkansas coach from Broyles on, ending up getting inexplicably snake bit on the largest stage.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2017, 07:20:16 am
I wonder how many newer Hogville people don't understand the threads Title.

10-12, minimally.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Snizzzo

Excellent coach.  His teams had talent, but they were also physical, hard-nosed and aggressive.  Though not on par with what the SEC has been, the SWC in the 80's was a pretty solid league with good coaches. 

1highhog

Quote from: Snizzzo on April 22, 2017, 07:34:49 pm
Excellent coach.  His teams had talent, but they were also physical, hard-nosed and aggressive.  Though not on par with what the SEC has been, the SWC in the 80's was a pretty solid league with good coaches. 

Heck yeah they were solid teams, they were all cheating bad and SMU who was at one time one of the best team in College Football got hit with the "Death Penalty" because of their incessant cheating.

Unnamed Source

Iwastherein1969

didn't Kenny "croot" Barry Foster, James Rouse, Quinn Grovey, Wayne Martin and Steve Atwater to Arkansas ?  I'd say that's much better than what's going on right now up there as far as "crooting" goes
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Snizzzo

April 23, 2017, 03:05:21 am #33 Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:06:36 am by Snizzzo
Quote from: 1highhog on April 22, 2017, 07:55:17 pm
Heck yeah they were solid teams, they were all cheating bad and SMU who was at one time one of the best team in College Football got hit with the "Death Penalty" because of their incessant cheating.

Correct, they were cheating every bit as much as teams in this league do today.

Hatfield won the SWC in 88 and 89, and got cheated out of it in 84.

There are a lot of great highlights via youtube of those teams btw, pretty enjoyable watching and remembering those teams. 

hobhog

So there is no Razorback coach you like. Got it.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on April 22, 2017, 09:13:41 am
OH, gosh, I know what you mean. . .he only won what?  80% of his games!  What a horrible coach!
Never said he was a horrible coach. Just not my favorite.

Snizzzo

Hatfield wasn't alot of fan's favorite.  Winning only 10 games a year wasn't good enough. 

Atlhogfan1

Great man.  Great Hog. Was not a great coach.  Won a lot of games against a dying conference.  Got mad at Broyles stopped recruiting and put our program at a huge disadvantage and then bailed.  Took us years to dig out of Hatfield's scorched earth. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Hawg Marshal

Coach Hatfield is no different from most coaches. When a coach leaves a university it's usually not on a good note. Some people will remember them in a good light others won't, but if they are leaving it's  usually a sign that things were not great when they left for whatever reason.

threeNout

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 23, 2017, 07:36:59 pm
Great man.  Great Hog. Was not a great coach. 

The "good" versus "great" coach is getting kicked around a lot in this thread I see.

Depends on the curve you are using.  On a national scale, he was "good".  By Arkansas standards, I think he was a bit better than that, and the numbers back that up.

The idea the SWC was a "bad conference" with a lot of bad teams I don't think is a good argument at all. Having lived my teen and early adult years through the last 15 years of the SWC gives a better perspective, then just looking back on it with the modern game as a guide.

Parity was not where it is today for ANY conference.. The truth is the SWC was as good as any conference right before it broke up,   Every conference had a few heavyweights and then everyone else, just like the SWC did.  Texas, Arkansas were heavyweights for decades, and later SMU and Houston would be as well, with teams like Tech, A&M, and Baylor capable of having good years occasionally.

To say the SWC was weaker than everyone else, and therefore Hatfield winning back to back conference titles wasn't worth much, is too simple minded a statement and lacks proper perspective IMO.

DeltaBoy

Most fans today would be tickled to death to win 10 games a year like we did with Ken Hatfield.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hobhog on April 23, 2017, 08:09:45 am
So there is no Razorback coach you like. Got it.

ROFL. Who the Frank are you?
[CENSORED]!

prattville pig

loved to watch the Arkansas and Houston games
Life's too short to last long.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: threeNout on April 23, 2017, 09:12:04 pm
The "good" versus "great" coach is getting kicked around a lot in this thread I see.

Depends on the curve you are using.  On a national scale, he was "good".  By Arkansas standards, I think he was a bit better than that, and the numbers back that up.

The idea the SWC was a "bad conference" with a lot of bad teams I don't think is a good argument at all. Having lived my teen and early adult years through the last 15 years of the SWC gives a better perspective, then just looking back on it with the modern game as a guide.

Parity was not where it is today for ANY conference.. The truth is the SWC was as good as any conference right before it broke up,   Every conference had a few heavyweights and then everyone else, just like the SWC did.  Texas, Arkansas were heavyweights for decades, and later SMU and Houston would be as well, with teams like Tech, A&M, and Baylor capable of having good years occasionally.

To say the SWC was weaker than everyone else, and therefore Hatfield winning back to back conference titles wasn't worth much, is too simple minded a statement and lacks proper perspective IMO.

Why would you assume I'm looking back using the modern game as a guide?  I was there too. 

1984 SWC - SMU only team finished ranked (8th).  Everyone else 7 wins or less.
1985 SWC - A&M finished ranked 6th 10-2 and won the conference.  Hogs 2nd and ranked 12th.  BU 3rd and 17th nationally.
1986 SWC - A&M, Hogs, BU all finished 9-3 and ranked 13th, 15th and 12th.  We of course were embarrassed in the Orange Bowl. Wasn't even competitive.  Only ranked team we played all regular season at the time of the game was A&M.
1987 SWC - Only one team finished ranked again in AP - A&M at #10.  Texas at 7-5 finished 20th in Coaches.  Hogs managed to get 2nd but that didn't cover up 51-7(which I was in person to witness) or another bowl loss to a mediocre team (UGa in Liberty which I also witnessed).
1988 SWC - Hogs only team which finished ranked - 12th.  UH on probation.  Did almost upset Miami before setting bowl records for futility. 
1989 SWC - 3 teams finished ranked - Hogs 13th, UH 14th, A&M 20th. 

During the Hatfield years, the best a team from the SWC finished nationally was A&M in 85 at 6th.
3 times only 1 SWC was in the final AP poll with the Hogs having one of those.
The highest a SWC team finished ranked over his last 4 seasons was A&M at 10. 

Texas during the Hatfield years:

7-4-1
8-4
5-6
7-5
4-7
5-6

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Snizzzo on April 23, 2017, 07:05:24 pm
Hatfield wasn't alot of fan's favorite.  Winning only 10 games a year wasn't good enough. 

Some fans understand that winning is not the only part of the job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longtimeHogfan

Ken didn't always play nice with the powers that be.  He wasn't into the politics of his position.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on April 24, 2017, 06:26:57 pm
Ken didn't always play nice with the powers that be.  He wasn't into the politics of his position.

Unfortunately for him that is a big part of the job.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 24, 2017, 06:53:01 pm
Unfortunately for him that is a big part of the job.

Well if you are Nick Saban you don't have to play nice with the powers that be.  You are the powers that be.

oldbear

I had the privilege of sitting with Coach Hatfield and Coach Horton at a Conway High School game, watching Tim play in the 80's. Great and unforgettable night with two incredible individuals. I think they were both great coaches and continue to be great men.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jvanhorn on April 26, 2017, 06:18:47 pm
Well if you are Nick Saban you don't have to play nice with the powers that be.  You are the powers that be.

Only partly. Some coaches have though the same thing only to lose their job. One of our former coaches did at Clemson and it wasn't Hatfield. It was Ford and he had won a NC.