Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Peyton Hillis

Started by shearman1, December 02, 2008, 03:21:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shearman1

Peyton Hillis  was on AM 56 at lunch today in Memphis. When ask when running backs get healthy how will they play you.   His answer its in Gods hand.  I will play anywhere the want me to.  How about that for a team player. Great guy!!!

HamShank

"Team player"?  Didn't you hear that he's a "cancer in the locker room"?  At least enough for Nutty to screw him out of a couple million bucks.  ...I think Nutt's golden parachute should go to Hillis.

3kgthog

You didn't get the memo? Hillis is a cancer to a team.

shearman1

he said that Brandon Marshall told the coach give the ball to Peyton.  If the team believes in you as a rookie your something special

jackflash

Another great late round pick by Denver.

HamShank

Another sign of Nutt's genius.  Perhaps the most under-utilized talent at Arkansas for Nutt's entire tenure.  Well, at least he's getting his due now.

I'll say it again.  How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?

jbell96

Who would've thought Hillis would be leading all Razorback draftees in rushing yards & TD's? I am happy he's made the most out of the opportunity he has been given.

shearman1

at least SEC champinonship

Silver Hog

Nutt will take credit for curing cancer next.

HoggyWayne

Quote from: swisshog on December 02, 2008, 03:37:35 pm
Nutt will take credit for curing cancer next.

I called that cure brotha!

gussiehog

Quote from: HamShank on December 02, 2008, 03:34:10 pm
Another sign of Nutt's genius.  Perhaps the most under-utilized talent at Arkansas for Nutt's entire tenure.  Well, at least he's getting his due now.

I'll say it again.  How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?

I'll say it again.  No Defense.

HamShank

What's amazing is that, even if Hillis WERE complaining about not enough playing time behind McFadden and Jones, now he's been proven justified. 

Hogbody

Quote from: gussiehog on December 02, 2008, 03:42:21 pm

Jamaal Anderson, Chris Houston, Marcus Harrison. A-Rob was actually playing back then.  Earnest Mitchell.  Michael Grant.

We had enough to win the SECCG at least.

hogsrolling

Quote from: Hogbody on December 02, 2008, 03:51:14 pm
Jamaal Anderson, Chris Houston, Marcus Harrison. A-Rob was actually playing back then.  Earnest Mitchell.  Michael Grant.

We had enough to win the SECCG at least.

Yeah but you forgot REGGIE FISH!!!!!!!

OTTER

Quote from: gussiehog on December 02, 2008, 03:42:21 pm
And a head coach who was clueless
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

cdclark09

He is about to be on ESPN radio on Football today.  If your local doesn't carry it you can hear it on espnradio.com.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: shearman1 on December 02, 2008, 03:21:43 pm
  Peyton Hillis  was on AM 56 at lunch today in Memphis. When ask when running backs get healthy how will they play you.   His answer its in Gods hand.  I will play anywhere the want me to.  How about that for a team player. Great guy!!!

Wow.  He must really like Shanahan to worship him.
[CENSORED]!

irishman

I have been glancing at the broncos message boards lately. They had an article that suggested that after the other backs are back in the line up that Hillis had to remain on the field. Shannahan seemed to be leaning toward using him as a utility player moving from fullback, to tailback, to tight-end or whatever had to be done to get him on the field. The article compared him favorably to Dallas Clark. The way they made it sound if he kept it up then he would probably remain the back until the end of the year even if their other back (the one with the groin injury) came back

oldfart

Peytons versatility will keep him on the field.... barring injury

OKhogfan1959

Nutt wasted the kid. Nutt wasted a bunch of talent and ran off a lot of talent. More than enough to win the SEC and probably enough to win a National Championship.

I respect Peyton for actually realizing what Nutt was doing and speaking up about it. No telling how much money Nutt cost that kid by badmouthing him to the NFL. What a crime.

shearman1

thats God---Good
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 02, 2008, 04:02:31 pm
Wow.  He must really like Shanahan to worship him.

porkchopsdontfloat

The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

BEvERage

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 02, 2008, 04:20:14 pm
Nutt wasted the kid. Nutt wasted a bunch of talent and ran off a lot of talent. More than enough to win the SEC and probably enough to win a National Championship.

I respect Peyton for actually realizing what Nutt was doing and speaking up about it. No telling how much money Nutt cost that kid by badmouthing him to the NFL. What a crime.

how was his talent wasted? who do you sit? mcfadden? jones? he was the 3rd leading rusher and led the team in receptions his senior year.

Biggus Piggus

December 02, 2008, 04:42:14 pm #23 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:44:15 pm by Biggus Piggus
Hillis got beaten up in each of his first three seasons.  Wish he had redshirted in 2004.  Imagine him on this year's team.  Oh man.  His playing time in 2004 was a giant waste.  He had significant injuries in the following seasons.  As a senior, when he outran the LSU secondary for a TD, it was clear that his talent level when healthy was far better than anything we had seen from him.  That Hillis was a mere seventh round draft choice was criminal.  People had him pegged as a fullback, which isn't a high-priority job in the pros.  Nobody had enough film on him as a first-down runner to have any idea what he could do, and really he never earned that job in college.

Arkansas's running scheme didn't fit Hillis even though Markuson ran a version of the Denver running game.  Markuson never emulated the Denver offensive line, which is all about athletic ability and quickness.  His version depended on having runners who were lightning-quick in their cuts.  Hillis needed more daylight, and in the Broncos' offense he gets plenty.  Once he gets through, deebees bounce off him.  At Arkansas, he never got through the don'tblinkyoumissedit holes (till he was a senior) and took ferocious shots.  That's why he was so beaten up.
[CENSORED]!

JethroB.

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 02, 2008, 04:20:14 pm

I've heard the talk about Nutt calling Hillis a cancer to the locker room and badmouthing him to the NFL.  I guess I missed this was it in print anywhere?  Of course him saying that.....well....just have to look at who it came out of and anybody that knows wouldn't give that any merrit.

HamShank

Quote from: BEvERage on December 02, 2008, 04:36:20 pm
how was his talent wasted? who do you sit? mcfadden? jones? he was the 3rd leading rusher and led the team in receptions his senior year.

You don't sit anyone.  You INNOVATE the offense in order to get him the ball.  You know, "feed the studs"?  The reason Oklahoma is so overwhelming this year is because they have 5-star players at several positions and they distribute the ball to all of them which keeps their opponent's defenses constantly guessing.  It's not JUST DeMarco Murray running the ball 30 times a game. 

Do you honestly think Petrino wouldn't have found a way to get Hillis more involved?  Malzahn tried to do it.  He introduced the "Wild Hog" for Hillis to run it.

OKhogfan1959

Agree HamShank..I would add that the running off of Mustain, Williams and of course Gus kept us from having a balanced offense.

Shanahan will have no trouble finding a way to use Peyton when all the TBs get healthy.

Nutt wasted them all..We should have finished with a lot more wins and a lot less losses.

gussiehog

I know this won't be a popular post, and let me say that Peyton Hillis is one of my favorite Hogs ever, but the adversity and the use (or misuse for some of you) of Hillis in the Hogs offense has actually prepared him for his pro career. 

Hillis's biggest drawback wasn't his attitude but that he had to share the backfield with DMac and Felix Jones.  I believe that early on Peyton was whiney that he wasn't getting enough touches - then came Gus and that changed.  Once again, I believe that between Hillis's injuries and our lack of killer instinct on defense along with the off the field issues surrounding Nutt, Malzahn, etc. cost us the SEC/national championship.  In my opinion, lots of things contributed to our late season collapse that year.

LamarMundane

If I hear this one more time, I'll throw up. I've never heard such lack of logic in my life. One more time: did McFadden/Jones/Hillis play defense? Did they kick the ball? My recollection is of a backfield and offense putting lots of points on the board, with lots of big plays. In 2006, when they had a pretty good defense with Jamaal, Houston, and Olajubutu, they made it to Atlanta. In 2007, when the defense was average at best, they didn't. In 2007, the offense, led by those three ultra-talented backs, averaged a SCHOOL RECORD 39ppg. In other words, they did every thing they could do: those three made tons of plays.
Remember, the argument here is not about the defense or the kicking game, we're discussing the premise that having a talented backfield is sufficient for winning championships, or not. I say, clearly, it isn't.

OKhogfan1959

Lamar?? Why don't you write another letter to your manlove Nuttjob..Why don't you  join the Nutts on a message board where your Nutthugging ass will fit in? We don't need you on this board!

Nutt was the reason for the lack of defense, Nutt was the reason for the pitiful kicking game every year. We will never know what would have happened with a real offense that includes the forward pass!!!!! What could have been Dmac-Felix-Peyton in the same offense as Damian and Mitch. We'll never know what a real offensive coach in Gus could have done with all those weapons...We can only dream about the day it happens again.

Mallett is going to make you look stupid..Yes it does take more to be a good QB than a big arm..What a great observation by you.

BTW..A real offensive mind would have averaged a school record 60 points per game. In other words you don't have a clue! Nutt hurt Hillis in the NFL draft because he wouldn't worship Nutt like so many=like you!

SteveInArk

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 02, 2008, 07:19:37 pm
Lamar?? Why don't you write another letter to your manlove Nuttjob..Why don't you  join the Nutts on a message board where your Nutthugging ass will fit in? We don't need you on this board!

Nutt was the reason for the lack of defense, Nutt was the reason for the pitiful kicking game every year. We will never know what would have happened with a real offense that includes the forward pass!!!!! What could have been Dmac-Felix-Peyton in the same offense as Damian and Mitch. We'll never know what a real offensive coach in Gus could have done with all those weapons...We can only dream about the day it happens again.

Mallett is going to make you look stupid..Yes it does take more to be a good QB than a big arm..What a great observation by you.

BTW..A real offensive mind would have averaged a school record 60 points per game. In other words you don't have a clue! Nutt hurt Hillis in the NFL draft because he wouldn't worship Nutt like so many=like you!

I like the way you think....  especially the absolute fact that "A real offensive mind would have averaged a school record 60 points per game."
  :'(
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Fatmanhog

Quote from: SteveInArk on December 02, 2008, 09:49:39 pm
I like the way you think....  especially the absolute fact that "A real offensive mind would have averaged a school record 60 points per game."
  :'(
yes to this, the dude is dumb for trying to hint that the fact they were in the same backfield and...WTH? lamar, they could have scored so many points it would have just messd you up. you see remember the red/white game when they sent DMAC streaking down the sideline for a pass? well to my knowledge nuttface could have used hillis or mcfadden or felix(yes all at the same time) in the offense. they all could catch and have been used like reggis bush or whomever you would like to compare.so yeah go ahead and do this  :puke:
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

secfan30

Nuttless had all that talent and won 8 games in 07. What a shame.

jlhog

The number of "Why didn't we..." thoughts about last year's offense is HUGE.

My biggest one is -- Why did we never run an option using all three of those backs out of the wild cat?  Sure it's just a wishbone, but a wishbone with those three would be scary for any defense.  If you only run it four or five times a game, the D wouldn't be able to adjust nor key in on one back.  I can think of several other plays that just make sense with that kind of talent on the field.  It just takes a little imagination.

That said, Our offense scored enough points to win most of the games we lost - our Defense was almost as porous as it was this year.  In '98 we had Three teams score more than 21 points on us. Only one team scored more than thirty (Nuttastic Bowl game). The rest of our games we kept the opponents at less than 21.

In 2007 we had eight games where our opponents scored more than 21 points. -- in seven of those games, they scored more than 30. 

This year, EVERY team we played put 21 or more on us.

If we had 1998's defense we might be playing for the conf. championship this year.

irishman

Biggus Piggus

Here's the problem I have with how Hillis was used in 2007.  McFadden had more carries than he had in 2006, and his productivity per carry went down a lot.  Hillis got 62 carries, when it was obvious McFadden was a misfit for the role of running inside, especially in short-yardage situations.  McFadden got beaten up in numerous games when he was used as the inside runner.  Hillis averaged less than 5 carries a game, and he had some games where he barely touched the football.

Hillis's carries by game:

Troy 4
Alabama 1
Kentucky 1
North Texas 11
Chattanooga 5
Auburn 0 <= 2 carries total in SEC games, Hogs were 0-3 at this point
Ole Miss 4
FIU 2
South Carolina 6
Tennessee 1
Mississippi State 11
LSU 11

Crazy.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jlhog on December 03, 2008, 09:56:20 am
That said, Our offense scored enough points to win most of the games we lost - our Defense was almost as porous as it was this year.

Yes, but the offense often failed to do what it could to take pressure off the obviously limited defense.  Last season, with all that talent and scoring, the Hogs punted almost as often as they did this season.  They couldn't protect a lead.
[CENSORED]!

StoernerJonesFan

Quote from: LamarMundane on December 02, 2008, 06:27:44 pm
If I hear this one more time, I'll throw up. I've never heard such lack of logic in my life. One more time: did McFadden/Jones/Hillis play defense? Did they kick the ball? My recollection is of a backfield and offense putting lots of points on the board, with lots of big plays. In 2006, when they had a pretty good defense with Jamaal, Houston, and Olajubutu, they made it to Atlanta. In 2007, when the defense was average at best, they didn't. In 2007, the offense, led by those three ultra-talented backs, averaged a SCHOOL RECORD 39ppg. In other words, they did every thing they could do: those three made tons of plays.
Remember, the argument here is not about the defense or the kicking game, we're discussing the premise that having a talented backfield is sufficient for winning championships, or not. I say, clearly, it isn't.

One of my favorite traits about Petrino is that when we had the ball with under 2 minutes left in the first half (regardless of score, regardless if we got the ball to start the next half), we would run the 2 min. offense and actually TRY to score!  He wouldnt sit on the lead or say "We're only down 3 points" and just head into the locker room.  This is quite different than our last coach and one of MANY qualities that will take a Petrino-led team much farther than any Nutt-led team.

Its bonehead coaching qualities that Nutt possessed that prevented us from winning any SECCG or going to a BCS game.  So i will agree with everyone else when i say too:  HOW DID WE NOT GO TO A BCS GAME WITH DMAC, JONES, AND HILLIS IN THE BACKFIELD????

Kevin

i thought nutt did more with less.

peters-buffalo
andrews-philly
houston-falcons
anderson-falcons
jones-jacksonville
hillis-denver
mcfadden-oakland
jones-dallas
dacus-kc
bua-played for dolphins
ugoh-colts
harrison-bears

seems like we have had some talent
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LamarMundane

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 02, 2008, 07:19:37 pm

Oh, I've got Petrino's back just as I have Nutt's...because it's only a matter of time before some fans turn on him too. Mark it down. Especially if he's here 10 years, I promise there will be enough people trying to run him off too.
I personally think they're both very good coaches.

StoernerJonesFan

Quote from: LamarMundane on December 03, 2008, 01:15:20 pm

Oh, I've got Petrino's back just as I have Nutt's...because it's only a matter of time before some fans turn on him too. Mark it down. Especially if he's here 10 years, I promise there will be enough people trying to run him off too.
I personally think they're both very good coaches.

Mark this down:
If CBP is here 10 years, he will have defeated (AT LEAST ONCE) Florida and Georgia and win an SECCG - taking Arkansas to a BCS game. 

If he does any or all of these, he's already a leap above TCTWF.

ballhog88

A subpar defense won't get you too far and that's what we had. Good offense and bad defense !

LamarMundane

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on December 03, 2008, 01:17:17 pm
Mark this down:
If CBP is here 10 years, he will have defeated (AT LEAST ONCE) Florida and Georgia and win an SECCG - taking Arkansas to a BCS game. 

If he does any or all of these, he's already a leap above TCTWF.

I'm already on record as saying if Petrino wins the SEC, then it will be worth it. That will be an improvement. It won't mean Nutt did poorly, because they were in the SEC Title Game a couple times and close. So winning it, even once, is progress.
Anything else doesn't mean much to me. Yea, beating Florida once would be nice, but not all that to me. It's all about winning the SEC at this point.
I support Petrino all the way. He had nothing to do with anything that happened here before, so it's got nothing to do with him.

porkurina

Quote from: LamarMundane on December 03, 2008, 03:41:02 pm

I'm already on record as saying if Petrino wins the SEC, then it will be worth it. That will be an improvement. It won't mean Nutt did poorly, because they were in the SEC Title Game a couple times and close. So winning it, even once, is progress.
Anything else doesn't mean much to me. Yea, beating Florida once would be nice, but not all that to me. It's all about winning the SEC at this point.
I support Petrino all the way. He had nothing to do with anything that happened here before, so it's got nothing to do with him.

that word right there is why Nutt, and his followers, thought he was doing ok

OKhogfan1959

Lamar? Who was it that had something to do with what happened here before? LOL..I know those dang mean angry fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks..

We didn't go after Stan Heath and he didn't win..It's not like we're going after every coach it was just the on the savior of his flock..Nutt huggers are the most ignorant people I have ever came across.

Geohul

Lets settle this once and for all.  How many of you think Mike Smith would have rushed for more than 1000 yards in Nutts 2 TE / Iform offense?  How many did Smith rush for using Petrino's spread offense?

LamarMundane

Quote from: porkurina on December 03, 2008, 04:15:48 pm
that word right there is why Nutt, and his followers, thought he was doing ok

He was doing fine.
Put him at Florida and he'll look even better.
But there's always someone who can do better, maybe Petrino.
I'm a realist. Take off your Hog-colored glasses for a minute, ask anyone around the country, and they'll tell you the Arkansas job is not the greatest in the world. It's a good job, but it's not a great job. You can win more easily at other places.

LamarMundane

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 03, 2008, 04:20:46 pm
Lamar? Who was it that had something to do with what happened here before? LOL..I know those dang mean angry fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks..

We didn't go after Stan Heath and he didn't win..It's not like we're going after every coach it was just the on the savior of his flock..Nutt huggers are the most ignorant people I have ever came across.

No, just realistic, and not a homer at all times. I see the big picture, you don't.
For the record, I didn't complain too much when Stan Heath was fired. YOu don't have to fly banners to get your point across, by the way. He did some good things, but some ugly things too. One year the football team won as many road games as the basketball team did. But it all gets back to expectations. I expect more from the basketball coach than the football coach. It's easier for Arkansas to succeed in basketball than football, since it's less of a numbers game. That's why you see a team like Kansas be a consistent power in basketball, but not in football. Numbers game. Same thing on a slightly different level with Ar-kansas.
And I do believe Arkansas can be a power in football, but likelihood is lower. Sure it can happen, but do I expect it? No.

LamarMundane

Quote from: Geohul on December 03, 2008, 04:55:37 pm
Lets settle this once and for all.  How many of you think Mike Smith would have rushed for more than 1000 yards in Nutts 2 TE / Iform offense?  How many did Smith rush for using Petrino's spread offense?

Not sure I understand. Nutt ran a run-oriented offense, and took criticism for the same. Why wouldn't a talented back like Michael Smith have more likelihood of running for a 1000 yards in his system?
M Smith always showed talent; he just was waiting his turn behind DMac and Felix. His only concern is his size and staying healthy.

This is a bad question. A better question would be 'would DJ Williams catch 61 balls' this year under Nutt. No. Not saying that's good or bad, he just wouldn't have done it.

Phenomenal One

Watching the replay of the Jets-Denver game on NFL network.  Hillis just scored his TD after ripping off a 19 yard run on the drive.  They showed a clip of his comments in the locker room and he said he had never had coaches and players believe in him before.  Thought that was an interesting comment based on how Nutt sabotaged him in the draft

Figured I would post it here instead of starting a new thread