Previous topic - Next topic

masonselby

that means we only put 12 balls in play tonight
"for christ sake im talking about bagging a sasquatch"

chiefsfan

Quote from: masonselby on May 17, 2007, 11:33:36 pm

11, Forsythe was caught stealing home remember
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

masonselby

yeah your right, and the crazy thing is we could have still won the game
"for christ sake im talking about bagging a sasquatch"

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

coach, my back hurts

We were averaging around 7 a game before tonight.  Thats not real good.  We lead the next worse team by around 20 and that will be greater after tonight.  Some teams in the SEC have close to 100 less strikeouts than we do.

I looked up our stats.  Going into tonight we had 385 strikeouts and 1843 at bats.  If we put the ball in play 100 more times giving us 285K's, and getting hits 20% of those 100 times.  Our avg would be .304 instead of .294. 

I know it doesnt sound that great, but consider if we got hits half of those 100K's.  Our avg would be .320.  That is quite significant.  Striking out 7-8 times per game in college is pittiful.

Can we hire Doug Clark back?  OMG! Did i just say that.  He did have some stud hitters during his time.  About 2-3 each yr.

haugtime

We are much more impressed with and interested in crushing a ball than hitting a ball.  Bad approach.  We need guys willing to hit the ball where its pitched.  We have too many big swingers back to back to back in the lineup.  Big mistake.

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

PintailKiller

Like I teach my 9 and 10 year olds, put the ball in play and force the other team to make plays.  Contact last night would've meant a couple of more runs and maybe a win.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

sitting out

Not only strikeouts, but there were so many called strikes.
6 out of those 15 strike outs were called strike 3.
Why do they take so many pitches?
Our batters seem to fall behind in almost every count.

Does anybody know how many time Ole Miss Put their lead-off guy on base? It must have been at least 6 times.

jst01

Our offense has choked big time over the last 3 to 4 weeks.  We've had a few big innings and thats it.  Without Waynes HR then it would have been another 1 run flop.  Likely to be out of SEC tourney quick if they cant figure out how to SWING at strikes and not the balls. 

HOG02

May 18, 2007, 11:49:21 am #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:51:42 am by HOG02

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 17, 2007, 11:35:09 pm
Quote from: masonselby on May 17, 2007, 11:33:36 pm
11, Forsythe was caught stealing home remember

I hope you both are kidding.  That would mean we got no hit.  Just as a guess I would say we put the ball in play 19 times.  Hits + number of outs that aren't strikeouts.

We do need to get the bat off our shoulders.  These guys might as well have taken a purse up to the plate last night.

Ouachihog

Quote from: PintailKiller on May 18, 2007, 08:49:32 am
Like I teach my 9 and 10 year olds, put the ball in play and force the other team to make plays.  Contact last night would've meant a couple of more runs and maybe a win.

Especially true in college baseball.  Not exactly like the defense has Ozzie Smith on the infield. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

boomo26

15K's is not good, but i am more worried about hitting with runners in scoring position.  Last night there were two times we had the bases loaded and nothing to show for it.  We should have beat them by at least 4.  I felt pretty good last night with Coon up at the end with all those RBI's, but again nothing.

Boomo

hogman64

Quote from: boomo26 on May 18, 2007, 12:48:46 pm
15K's is not good, but i am more worried about hitting with runners in scoring position.  Last night there were two times we had the bases loaded and nothing to show for it.  We should have beat them by at least 4.  I felt pretty good last night with Coon up at the end with all those RBI's, but again nothing.

Boomo

yep... for the last 7 games seems like we are at our worst at the plate with runners on base...........before that it was just the opposite,we were getting  tons of two out hits there for awhile.........but really thats baseball, lets just hope it turns around starting tonight.....