Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we swinging for the fence too much?

Started by razorback4ever, May 14, 2007, 04:24:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback4ever

Seems to me that many of our best hitters have been infected lately with a desire to get "the big hit". I have seen way too many pop up's for my liking lately,or worse, strike outs. How many games ago was the last time we routinely saw back to back base hits? Once we get a base hit, someone steps up swinging for the fence, only to end up short for an easy out.
Way too many runners stranded over the last month, and this is costing us.
Maybe it's just me, but watching these guys swing with an upward power stroke everytime they get up to bat leaves me with the impression they are swinging for the fence.
I'll take base hits over heroics anytime. Homers are OK, but too few and far between to win a lot of games.
What do you think, are we trying for too many homers lately?

kcstar

In the past few games the Hogs have played like they did early in the season where they had a lot of three up and three downs and struggled to win those Saturday games. 

The clutch hitting has just disappeared and the starting pitching that was so good in the middle of the season until recently has become shaky.   Batters are suddenly hitting behind in the count and we are not getting the lead off man on very often.  Also the team is drawing a lot fewer walks.

The bullpen has been totally unreliable all year.

I hope the Hogs did not peak too early.

champ

The wind was blowing out at a hitters ballpark thats why we were jacking so many homeruns (except Friday) unfortunately with out any base runners, some of our fly balls that were usually getting down for hits were staying up allowing the fielders to catch them. The main question is how to we switch our batting order were we can get some baserunners in front of Hamblin who hit 3 solo homers with Jeff Nutt hitting in front with out every getting on base

chshog

msudawgs64

I would rather swing for the fences than stand up there and act like the bat is 5000 tons and cannot be swung.  ;)

Actually I would rather smart swings at good pitches but still swinging for the moon is better than not.

razorback4ever, it sounds like the Hogs are doing what we are doing, pressing too much, really no comfort zone in the batter's box anymore, getting behind then trying to play catch up, which most players generally associate with trying to jack them out of the park.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

BigDave70

We need to go back to playing small ball as in bunting when 3rd baseman is playing back and more hit and runs more attempts stealing
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

razorback4ever

Quote from: BigDave70 on May 15, 2007, 03:48:41 am
We need to go back to playing small ball as in bunting when 3rd baseman is playing back and more hit and runs more attempts stealing

I remember small ball........and I know VanHorn does too.
I can only guess that he has been messing with batting orders and position players in an attempt to "test" this team. This tinkering with line ups and batting orders started around the time we started slumping, or that is when I noticed it and started paying attention. Luckily, we had a big enough divisional lead to absorb a few loses. Maybe it's time to put everyone back into the batting order we used earlier this year and demand some small ball from our guys.

BigDave70

Quote from: razorback4ever on May 15, 2007, 11:27:09 am
Quote from: BigDave70 on May 15, 2007, 03:48:41 am
I think that might work

I remember small ball........and I know VanHorn does too.
I can only guess that he has been messing with batting orders and position players in an attempt to "test" this team. This tinkering with line ups and batting orders started around the time we started slumping, or that is when I noticed it and started paying attention. Luckily, we had a big enough divisional lead to absorb a few loses. Maybe it's time to put everyone back into the batting order we used earlier this year and demand some small ball from our guys.
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

PrescottHog

It does seem that way since Hamblin either homers or strikes out it seems like and the whole teams seems to be striking out more so thats a good point