Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schmidt Friday night

Started by jst01, May 14, 2007, 12:03:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jst01

May 14, 2007, 12:03:54 pm Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:05:35 pm by jst01
Here's to hoping that Schmidt is our Friday night starter this weekend.  We need to start this series with an impressive win!  not BP for ole miss...

litmachog

I agree that we need to start out strong on Friday night.  That is why I think we need to move Todd to Friday night.  He is the hottest and best pitcher at this time.  Schmidt is still the best pitcher overall but he is presently struggling.  Get a good win with Todd on Friday, then drop Schmidt in to get a good day on the second game.  Maybe the change will be refreshing to him.

jst01

Quote from: rzrbkman on May 14, 2007, 12:25:39 pm
All SEC teams play Thursday-Friday-Saturday the last weekend of the season.

I know,that was my point, leave Schmidt at friday and let Todd go Thurs.

TuckFexas

Will Todd be as effective though w 2 less days to rest? Say we pitch Todd on Thursday and he gets roughed up and we lose. We then have 2 struggling pitchers trying to avoid us getting swept and losing the SEC West and the 2 seed in the SECT. Throw in a definite loss of any hopes of a regional. I think DVH needs to give Schmidt the ball and tell him to pull his head out of his a$$ and throw like he is capable of.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

mikeb

Quote from: rzrbkman on May 14, 2007, 12:45:18 pm
We are going to have to score a bunch of runs anyway this weekend to win.

That's the key

hogman64

Schmidt is having bad control problems... i was at the game friday night.. he seems to get behind every hitter and then he comes over the plate with it and they treat it like its batting practice.....he is really having trouble with the top hitters in every teams line up.. Evidently the word is out he is having control problems and  they have figured out not to swing at his curve ball early in the count ,  they are not swinging and he is not throwing the curve ball for strikes.........IMO if he starts getting that curve over early in the count , he will be back to his old self..........

jst01

they always say 'if it aint broke dont fix it', well, Schmidt seems to be broke at this point.  Todd only pitched into the 7th his last start and he stepped up when he was moved to Saturdays.  He could start us off with a win and give the team some much needed confidence.  I think you have to win Thursday night, if Nick starts and we get beat it puts way to much pressure on our offense and other starters to win the next 2 and we will lose the series.  Nick had his shot to prove the bad pitching was a 1 or 2 game fluke but he didn't get it done. 

chiefsfan

we have to start schmidt on Thursday...Otherwise, our pitching matchups arent set up near as well.   Ole Miss isnt as good of a hitting team as they used to be, but they have 4 or 5 good pitchers.  They guy they will throw Thursday is will Kline, we saw him in Minneapolis earlier this year

I dont want to risk throwing Todd on  short short rest against a team like Ole Miss and a pitcher like will kline, who Schmidt can beat if he is on.  taking the chance of pushing Nick back just means if he doesnt pitch well, then our ace just got beat by the other teams #2 starter
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

demonHOG1013

here what you do:  Jess Todd is a stud, he's been nearly unhittable. He pitched on Sat. thats still four days rest he throws on Thursday. Welker on Friday and give Schmitt who's struggled of late a few more days to rest up and get his $hit straight. Then we've got our ACE fresh, rested and ready to go for the sweep against their number 3.  YOU DONT EVER Worry ABOUT LOSING to someones number 2...gimme a break

TuckFexas

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 14, 2007, 03:06:33 pm
here what you do:  Jess Todd is a stud, he's been nearly unhittable. He pitched on Sat. thats still four days rest he throws on Thursday. Welker on Friday and give Schmitt who's struggled of late a few more days to rest up and get his $hit straight. Then we've got our ACE fresh, rested and ready to go for the sweep against their number 3.  YOU DONT EVER Worry ABOUT LOSING to someones number 2...gimme a break

If you change up your pitching rotation like that then you're obviously worried.
Famous quote.

demonHOG1013

They should be worried, but not worried that your ace is gonna lose to someone else's number 2. Hell if he's gonna get out pitched by the number 2 what would their ace do.  Sometimes switching up the rotation can give the line up a boost, little change of pace. Get some guys who dont normally get as much run support more runs things like that. Plus gotta like the idea of Schmitt being your guy on the hill going for a sweep, right

TuckFexas

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 14, 2007, 03:17:55 pm
They should be worried, but not worried that your ace is gonna lose to someone else's number 2. Hell if he's gonna get out pitched by the number 2 what would their ace do.  Sometimes switching up the rotation can give the line up a boost, little change of pace. Get some guys who dont normally get as much run support more runs things like that. Plus gotta like the idea of Schmitt being your guy on the hill going for a sweep, right

I like the idea of Schmidt nailing the door shut in game 3...but I would endorse it if I had full confidence in Schmidt right now. I don't though. The past few weeks NS and DW have been battling it out for 3rd best pitcher on the staff. All 3 will be on shorter than normal rest and I don't see an advantage in shortening that even more when they seem to have tired arms to begin with. We have our weak bullpen to thank for our current situation. In fact, I think Todd is pitching the best right now because he hasn't thrown as much as NS and DW.
Famous quote.

chiefsfan

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2007, 03:50:33 pm

I like the idea of Schmidt nailing the door shut in game 3...but I would endorse it if I had full confidence in Schmidt right now. I don't though. The past few weeks NS and DW have been battling it out for 3rd best pitcher on the staff. All 3 will be on shorter than normal rest and I don't see an advantage in shortening that even more when they seem to have tired arms to begin with. We have our weak bullpen to thank for our current situation. In fact, I think Todd is pitching the best right now because he hasn't thrown as much as NS and DW.

exactly.     Although I will say that I would expect Todd to start the first game of the SEC tourney...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

TuckFexas

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 14, 2007, 05:00:13 pm

exactly.     Although I will say that I would expect Todd to start the first game of the SEC tourney...

Without a doubt, Todd will start the SEC tourney for us. There will be no easy matchup in the SECT. No sense in saving your best for game 2. The Hogs will go as far as Schmidt and Welker take us. If Todd is the only one throwing worth a damn, we're screwed.
Famous quote.

DaveV

Schmidt will be just fine.

IMO, Schmidt will come out gunning on thursday night.

He has just been overworked and everyone that knows DVH knows he overworks his pitchers.

Schmidt only threw 75 pitches friday which will benefit him alot.

Id put him on a pitch count again Ole Miss also, 80 pitches tops.

Todd is just fine, he's another auto-win if we can just score about 3+ runs.

As long as the bullpen is okay, we'll win thursday and friday.

Trust me, all Nick needs is a little rest.

TuckFexas

Quote from: DaveV on May 14, 2007, 08:17:27 pm
Schmidt will be just fine.

IMO, Schmidt will come out gunning on thursday night.

He has just been overworked and everyone that knows DVH knows he overworks his pitchers.

Schmidt only threw 75 pitches friday which will benefit him alot.

Id put him on a pitch count again Ole Miss also, 80 pitches tops.

Todd is just fine, he's another auto-win if we can just score about 3+ runs.

As long as the bullpen is okay, we'll win thursday and friday.

Trust me, all Nick needs is a little rest.

LOL. Guess we're screwed then. We need to be up by about 7 runs after 6 innings.
Famous quote.

Hawgzilla

We need to give Evan Cox some more time on the mound.....Our middle relief is killing us.........

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawgzilla on May 14, 2007, 09:11:18 pm

We need to give Evan Cox some more time on the mound.....Our middle relief is killing us.........

So is long relief and our set-up/closer.

The only pitcher on the staff that I have complete confidence in right now is Jess Todd, and he's thrown a bunch of innings of late. Welker has had four subpar outings in a row, and Schmidt hasn't pitched well has had two rough outings in a row.

I hear folks complaining about Todd Butler, but we have enough offense to win most nights. What is killing us right now is our pitching. We're back to 2004 when it was Boyce, Brannon, and Sawatski. 

BigDave70

This is going to be way out there but here's what I think should happen and I know everyone is going to disagree with me but that ok so here goes  Thursday night Cox and then bring in Schmidt don't let him start   Saturday Todd   Sunday Hill and then bring in Welker same as Schmidt
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Pig Power

TF,
I pitched in college and will tell you that the "dead arm" thing is real.. By the end of the season I was living on 9 Advil per game just to get through the 7th inning..

BigDave70

Quote from: Pig Power on May 15, 2007, 05:21:22 pm

TF,
I pitched in college and will tell you that the "dead arm" thing is real.. By the end of the season I was living on 9 Advil per game just to get through the 7th inning..
That can't be good how's your liver
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

PrescottHog

That sounds pretty good BigDave that would be demoralizing for teams when we bring Nick in for a few late innings

BigDave70

Quote from: PrescottHog on May 16, 2007, 02:09:23 am
That sounds pretty good BigDave that would be demoralizing for teams when we bring Nick in for a few late innings
especially when you have someone pitching lower to mid 80's and then you bring Schmidt in who pitches mid 90's, the other teams timing would be off so bad

WhenPigsFly

They're going with Schmidt, Todd, and Welker.  I imagine Nick will be on a short leash as far as trouble is concerned, but probably not pitch count.  Everybody will be in the same boat as far as missing a day's rest.

Line 'em up and let's play ball!

jap66

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 16, 2007, 12:25:06 pm
They're going with Schmidt, Todd, and Welker.  I imagine Nick will be on a short leash as far as trouble is concerned, but probably not pitch count.  Everybody will be in the same boat as far as missing a day's rest.

Line 'em up and let's play ball!

Folks need to keep in mind that Thursday
Schmidt will have had 5 days rest
Todd will have had 4 days rest. Even though he only pitched 7 innings Sat his pitch count was over 130. That is why he came out.

The next consideration is that there is 5 days of rest before the start of the SEC tournament. It is never good to fall into the losers bracket the first day so we need to win game one.

Based on the rest factor, it should go Schmidt, Todd and Welker this week and next.
That is dancing with who brung us.

jst01

That is dancing with who brung us.

Good Point

Pig Power

Quote from: BigDave70 on May 15, 2007, 06:27:54 pm

TF,
Fatty, but that's from the suds

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2007, 12:39:58 pm
Will Todd be as effective though w 2 less days to rest? Say we pitch Todd on Thursday and he gets roughed up and we lose. We then have 2 struggling pitchers trying to avoid us getting swept and losing the SEC West and the 2 seed in the SECT. Throw in a definite loss of any hopes of a regional. I think DVH needs to give Schmidt the ball and tell him to pull his head out of his a$$ and throw like he is capable of.

Yup
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

razorhead69

BigDave70

Quote from: Pig Power on May 16, 2007, 03:12:45 pm
Quote from: BigDave70 on May 15, 2007, 06:27:54 pm

TF,
Fatty, but that's from the suds
Me too