Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schmidt?

Started by TuckFexas, May 11, 2007, 08:50:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckFexas

Is he hurt? Tired? Sick? What's wrong with him? Mechanics? Anybody know? A bad outing here or there is nothing out of the ordinary in baseball. However, Schmidt hasn't been the same guy we've seen for almost 3 years now over the past few weeks. He threw around 80 pitches (79 I believe) tonight in less than 4 innings. He got hit hard. He did not pitch ahead in the count. We can't sit him out now to let him get some rest. It's crunch time. It's gut check time. Without a dominant Schmidt, the Hogs won't go far in the post-season. I have full confidence in DVH to get the most out of his ball club. Regardless, I'm worried. ::)
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

ballhog™

good question...I don't know but he has had more control problems lately than I can remember him having
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

3kgthog

He's worn out. Having to throw 9 innings in so many games is catching up to him. If we had a bullpen worth a crap we could've saved a lot of wear on Schmidt over the last few weeks.

ballhog™

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 11, 2007, 09:07:28 pm
He's worn out. Having to throw 9 innings in so many games is catching up to him. If we had a bullpen worth a crap we could've saved a lot of wear on Schmidt over the last few weeks.

Our bullpen is a coin flip...maybe not even that good
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

PorcineSublime

Horrible time to have our ace go into a funk. Hopefully just a little tired. Need him down the strech to be dominant.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Since 1894

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 11, 2007, 08:50:40 pm
Is he hurt? Tired? Sick? What's wrong with him? Mechanics? Anybody know? A bad outing here or there is nothing out of the ordinary in baseball. However, Schmidt hasn't been the same guy we've seen for almost 3 years now over the past few weeks. He threw around 80 pitches (79 I believe) tonight in less than 4 innings. He got hit hard. He did not pitch ahead in the count. We can't sit him out now to let him get some rest. It's crunch time. It's gut check time. Without a dominant Schmidt, the Hogs won't go far in the post-season. I have full confidence in DVH to get the most out of his ball club. Regardless, I'm worried. ::)

I am not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I would guess that he needs to spend a night at the garage and un-wind.

JMHO.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

nathanj

where were the bats tonight?  Schmidt would have lost tonight only giving up one run!  When was the last time the hogs were shut out?

razorkev

For a "potential" 1st round pick,...Im thinking he better be able to go 9 innings a week....The normal rotation in the bigs is every 4 days..sometimes 5
In God I Trust

hogfan064

Not sure what's wrong with Nick.  South Carolina ace Harris Honneycutt who had never lost a game in his first 2 years at USC, has now lost 4 in a row and was pulled from Friday starts.  Baseball is funny like that.  Nick is in a slump. 

Bama isn't a bad team either.  They did take 2 of 3 from a top 10 USC team 2 weeks ago.  We just need to hold on to the west league.  Catching Vandy will be very tough with the way those guys are playing.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: nathanj on May 11, 2007, 10:07:28 pm
where were the bats tonight?  Schmidt would have lost tonight only giving up one run!  When was the last time the hogs were shut out?
Agreed.  I know Schmidt struggled, but the fact is, that you can't win a game if don't score runs.  Hopefully Schmidt can get back on track before regionals start.

msudawgs64

Quote from: razorkev on May 11, 2007, 10:08:06 pm
For a "potential" 1st round pick,...Im thinking he better be able to go 9 innings a week....The normal rotation in the bigs is every 4 days..sometimes 5

huh??  the normal rotation is 5 days in the bigs, sometimes they pitch two games in a week.. This depends on when they get the first start though.   9 innings in a week?  Only if he gets two starts in a week, not going to happen in SEC play and in pros, if he pitches 9 innnings per week and gets one start, look for a dead arm within a year.  I he gets two starts, that is roughly 4 1/2 innings per start.  That sucks for a MLB pitcher.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

SPAL

like i said a few days ago...jess todd is currently our best pitcher.

PintailKiller

I think Schmidts agent has his ear and he's looking ahead towards the draft.  Not all that uncommon for a projected 1st rounder, however, he needsto pitch like that in order to maintain his status.
Hes averaging just short of 7 innings per start and I could not find pitch counts anywhere in previous box scores.  He may have a little dead arm right now.  Maybe a move to Sat and an extra days rest would help.  I'd be surprised if he pitches more than 40 innings in the minors later this year.
  He has already thrown 100+ innings and will probably get another 15-40 innings this year, depending on how far they go. 
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

TuckFexas

Schmidt wasn't barely missing last night. Many of the calls Chuck would say 'in the dirt" or "way outside." I'm thinking that maybe Schmidt's confidence took a hit against UGA and he hasn't regained it.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

PintailKiller

He does seem to be overthrowing a bit.  Could relate back to trying to show some extra velocity for the radar guns.  Overthrowing means less movement and a diminished ability to locate.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

chiefsfan

Problem is Schmidt is locked into a game 1 start against Ole Miss.  The series starts on a Thursday, and with Todd throwing today they wont start him again on just 4 days rest in the Ole Miss series

I wouldnt be at all shocked if Todd started the first game of the SEC tournament though, hoover met is a pitchers park, and Jess can pitch off less rest better then Nick can. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mikeb

I just hope Schmidt and DVH figure out the problem and fix it

Arkapigdiesel

My confidence is waining with the team right now.  I'm hoping Todd Butler and his alternative teaching methods can help our boys find an alternative to how they are hitting the ball as of late.

This is a bad time of year to peter out.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

mikeb

Quote from: PBD on May 12, 2007, 10:05:15 am
My confidence is waining with the team right now.  I'm hoping Todd Butler and his alternative teaching methods can help our boys find an alternative to how they are hitting the ball as of late.

This is a bad time of year to peter out.

I agree, we should be hitting the cover off the ball by now.

hogfan064

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 12, 2007, 08:54:34 am
Problem is Schmidt is locked into a game 1 start against Ole Miss.  The series starts on a Thursday, and with Todd throwing today they wont start him again on just 4 days rest in the Ole Miss series

I wouldnt be at all shocked if Todd started the first game of the SEC tournament though, hoover met is a pitchers park, and Jess can pitch off less rest better then Nick can. 

I would expect Nick not to pitch in the first game also.  Many times in Hoover teams save their ace for day 2 if they have a high seed.  If we win game 1 then Nick might not pitch until game 3. 

BigDave70

I dont know tuck but it sucked at the game last night
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

harmonyhog

Nick may have an issue in his personal life that is distracting him.

Kevin

i thinbk we have a team funk.  doesn't seem to be any life right now.  schmidt is out of the first last night with out the willard bobble that cost us a dp.  the game might have looked a little different
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ouachihog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 12, 2007, 02:13:42 am
like i said a few days ago...jess todd is currently our best pitcher.

You are right.  DVH said after the game yesterday they might consider moving Schmidt to the back of the rotation. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."