Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamond Hog Alumni Softball Game

Started by MDW, May 08, 2007, 08:05:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDW

I haven't seen anyone post on this, but I stayed after the baseball game Saturday and watched a bit of the alumni softball game that followed.

Several of the names of alumni were not familiar to me, but I did enjoy getting to see recent players like Scott Hode, Brady Toops, Charley Boyce, Clint Brannon, and Chris Hollensworth.  A few others, like Ryan Lundquist and Tom Pagnozzi, I never had the chance to see play, but I certainly knew their names.  There was even a 71-year old man who played on the 1956 team, and while he couldn't get around as well as the younger ones, he seemed to enjoy being out there with them.

It was a fun event, narrated on the field over the sound system by Chuck Barrett and Norm DeBriyn.  I believe Norm had coached every player out there (except one), and he had a few stories to tell when players would come up to bat or go after a ball in the field.

One thing that struck me is just how much these guys, particularly the very recent ones, really enjoy being around each other and really love the baseball program.  They spent several minutes warming up on the field, and their interaction was fun to see.  I heard someone ask Hode if he was ready for people to "sing" to him again as he came up to bat. (I still think the Ho-de Ho-de Ho-de Ho-de Ho-de Ho-de Ho! is one of the funnest things we've done at the ballpark.)  Hode responded with something like, "I might cry."  But, as usual, he was smiling from ear to ear the whole time.

Once the game started, it went pretty quick.  There were some good plays, and there were obviously a few players who were well past their prime, but they all seemed to enjoy being out there.

At one point in the third or fourth inning, Hode was rounding the bases on a hit and made it to third.  A challenge was made that he didn't touch second base, so an appeal was made to the umpires.  The umpires were radio personalities from the area, and none of them looked like they knew what to do.  Hode trotted back to second base, but there appeared to be no clear agreement on what should happen.  About that time Hognoxious yelled, "Somebody's going to be thrown out of this game!"  Perhaps taking his cue, Brady Toops (who was playing third base) soon got face to face with the much shorter umpire behind him, and started badgering him and moving him back.  Chuck reminded him over the microphone that there was no other game to be played, so he picked the umpire up and pretended to knee him in the back.  He eventually put him down, and the umpire of course ejected him, but it was all in good fun and Toops stayed in.

I didn't stay for the entire game, but it was fun to see those guys, particularly those like Toops, Hode, Boyce, and Brannon who were part of that special 2004 team.  They weren't the most talented team ever, but they played with a lot of heart, and it's obvious they still have a lot of pride in the program today.

I don't know any of them personally, but they seem like really good guys.  They'll always have a special place in my heart as being part of a team that helped me and no doubt many others fall in love with Razorback baseball.

Ouachihog

Good post, I wondered how that went. 

Brady Toops' grand slam against WSU was one of the greatest moment's ever in Razorback history, regardless of sport.
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

PorcineSublime

I had referenced it in the "DVH rocks" thread, but much less in depth since I did not want to derail that thread. Nice post, since we can now do it again, +1.   
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

spudhog

brady toops' home run was one of the best moments of my life. so unexpected and just the perfect scenario for a home run.