Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic at Baum!

Started by Kodiak, May 05, 2007, 10:38:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodiak

I try not to gripe about much on the board here, but the traffic at the stadium is going to cause someone to have a heart attack. Ya can't get into the parking lot. Then ya can't get out of it after the game.
All I can hope for is that the repairs will be finished by next year!
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

erniehog

They are planning on beginning the rest of the repairs the first day of the season next year.  And whose idea was the islands in the middle of the road where there could be another lane for traffic?

ballhog™

traffic...about the only bad thing at baum
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: erniehog on May 05, 2007, 11:00:42 pm
They are planning on beginning the rest of the repairs the first day of the season next year.  And whose idea was the islands in the middle of the road where there could be another lane for traffic?
I know you are joking, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Seems the highway dept has a need to be inefficient. I remember when they were building 540 from Alma to FV, they had some areas ready to pave before they had let the bids for paving, grass grew up through the gravel and they had to regrade it and start over. Oh well it will be nice when finished. I would hope that they plant some trees in the middle. Blocking the view of the Chicken plant from the stadium.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

3kgthog

I'm not sure which will be finished sooner, the Alpena and Hindsville projects or the portion of Razorback Rd. in front of Baum. My bet is on Alpena and Hindsville.

I'm kidding of course...maybe.

spe450

As I was leaving the stadium, crossing the street, one of the officers directing traffic laughed and said, "Just when you think you've got it figured out, we're gonna change it up on ya."  It was pretty funny.

arkjay19

The dumbest thing is they started it right before the USC football game last year.  That road has been a mess ever since.  I sure do hope they fix it up before the football season rolls around.

spudhog

need more exits to the lot. that whole university area is just not made for any of the games.

HogChic14

We were so mad during football season because they had decided to start all that construction right as football season began, and I remember saying "boy, i'll be glad that this crap won't be here during baseball season!"  and now look at it!  It's worse than it was for football.  Not only is it an eye sore but a traffic nightmare.  My husband and I spent an hour trying to get out of the scholarship parking lot Friday night.

peakhog

My scholarship parking pass has come in real handy this season! Every weekend it's a different traffic cop and a different set of rules for getting in and out.

I sure wish that LSU center fielder was 3" shorter!

ballhog™

Quote from: peakhog on May 07, 2007, 01:33:09 pm
My scholarship parking pass has come in real handy this season! Every weekend it's a different traffic cop and a different set of rules for getting in and out.

I sure wish that LSU center fielder was 3" shorter!

Post game traffic drives me crazy...for any sport.  It's amazing how many different times I have had to go a different way than the previous game.  This is true for baseball, football, and basketball.

I'm not very smart, so someone please explain why they don't know the best route and don't use it everygame to get traffic out the fastest?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

BigDave70

I should be fortunate that we got in and got out quick
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Kodiak

Quote from: erniehog on May 05, 2007, 11:00:42 pm
They are planning on beginning the rest of the repairs the first day of the season next year. 

Not funnie!  >:(

Quote from: HogChic14 on May 07, 2007, 12:52:10 pm
and I remember saying "boy, i'll be glad that this crap won't be here during baseball season!" 

Famous last words.  ;D

MDW

Lately I've parked at Lot 56 (Razorback Road & Sixth Street) and taken the shuttle to the stadium.  The shuttle pulls up to the stadium right at the end of the game, and within minutes you are back at Lot 56, where you can just drive right out onto the road and head home.  A few people have been using the shuttle, but not many.

I probably shouldn't give that secret away...

MDW

I would make no guarantees about the smoker.   8)

boomo26

Quote from: BigDave70 on May 07, 2007, 05:20:38 pm
I should be fortunate that we got in and got out quick

We have learned the secret, but it took us sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to figure it out.

Boomo

jap66

Quote from: hogapalooza on May 07, 2007, 08:16:15 pm
If you come early and stay late, you do not have a traffic problem?

Simple plan. And it works.

I am certain that I recall reading that the stretch between 6th and 15th streets would be finished before football season began ...................... last year.
I have had other folks say they think they remember the same article.
That is a state project. This creates some red tape in that they are not always on the same page as the UofA.
Case in point was before the Wichita St game (I think it was this one). The state did not realize there was a game and .............
It would be interesting to hear some explanations.
1. why was an island placed so that there can be no left turn (north) from the scholarship/suite holders lot.
2. Why the pedestrian cross walk from the east lot is kind of an extention of the east-west street. They may be changing this.
3. why are there islands in the first place?

Shanklin did a pretty good job of addressing traffic at the Swatters Club lunch Monday.
In reality there just aren't enough routes to disperse traffic.

There are two streets to the west of the stadium area.
Beachwood has been closed to northbound traffic after the game because of people trying to turn left (west) on 6th st. This basically brings everything to a standstill so they don't allow it.
A cop at the Beachwood/6th intersection falls under the jurisdiction of Fayetteville.
At one time the best kept secret was to go west on 15th st and circle around on the I540 access road to the light at 6th st. This light is not timed so that a lot of cars can get thru in one turn. Consequently, that was backed up all the way back to the stadium area last week end. A cop at this location falls under the jurisdiction of Fayetteville.
Its too bad the railroad is there so folks could exit east on 15th st.

UAPD is just as frustrated as the fans.
They review and make changes pretty much after each game.
A problem is making fans aware of the changes because the changes may be made on game day (reference status of road construction).

A problem at the interstction of RBack Rd and 15 is cars exiting from the grass lot on the SW corner of that intersection. It can be pretty much of a cluster.
This parking area will go away when that is developed ..... next year maybe. As a result less and less spaces.

All this and more is being addressed but the simple answer is that fans who used to leave for the game 15 minutes before game time won't see the first pitch anymore. They will not be home listening to the post game radio show after the game either.

Folks .......... this is a good problem to have.

There is one PS that should be noted.
In my opinion it can't be addressed too soon.
I don't think current parking permits will apply to parking for the Regionals.
This is something that will not be finalized until a Regional is announced.
Stay tuned and be aware.

Sect103

Only parking passes honored at regionals will be sky boxes. The rest will be first come first serve.
Proud member of the Baum Squad!

HogChic14

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hogapalooza on May 09, 2007, 02:24:52 pm
Quote from: Sect103 on May 09, 2007, 01:05:41 pm
Only parking passes honored at regionals will be sky boxes. The rest will be first come first serve.
Mr. Horton just told me that is not confirmed. That they are having a meeting and will know later this week. 

Sky boxes are different, but he did not say they would get there regular parking either, just they are different.

Palooza, the last two regionals have I've had NCAA Regional on my parking passes, my regular season passes don't work. It took serious jack to get regional parking passes.  ???   ::)

mj4president

Yea but it is an express lane compared to football. Man, going home after the Texas game in 04 seemed FOREVER.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Sect103

They will talk about it, but what it has been for every regional is that they will not honor our scholarship passes. Just plan on getting there early, and everything will be all right.

Kodiak

Quote from: jap66 on May 09, 2007, 09:52:54 am

UAPD is just as frustrated as the fans.

I will admit that the funniest comments I have heard about the traffic situation have come from the UAPD officers. And NO I will not name them.  ;)

javajockey

Isn't this a wonderful problem!  Traffic wouldn't be as bad if we were only dealing with a couple of thousand people.  It never takes me more than 5 mins to be on 540.  I have a secret... 8)

Sect103

Is it turn right out of Beechwood then Left on 18th street go around the corner into Ashwood, and then back to Razorback Road?????