Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HS State Tournaments

Started by coach, my back hurts, May 01, 2007, 09:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

coach, my back hurts

Does anyone know if some of the boys that are being recruited by ARK are in the StateTourny's?  I would like to see DrewSmyly pitch.  I've heard about him and would like to see him pitch.  And i would like to see Benton play.  They have a player signed with ARK as does Fayetteville.  I saw Bryant play earlier this yr, and honestly, no one stood out to me.  Dont they have a pitcher signed?  Or can anyone give me feedback on some of these players.  Do you think they can actually help DVH next yr and compete in the SEC. 

Does anyone know if Central, Bryant, Benton, NLR, and Fay are in the StateTourny?

futurehogdad

State Tournament

Central plays in the Saturday 2:30 in Van Buren
Fayetteville plays Saturday 12:00 in Van Buren
Bryant plays Friday 4:00 in Van Buren

Benton plays in Friday 4:00 in Searcy

HOG02

It's always so hard to say if freshman will contribute right away.  Some of these guys may only be on campus for a few months before they transfer, and some may be on campus for a couple of years before contributing regularly.  It's a pretty big jump, some adjust and some don't.

I am not sure about the guys this year, but I remember a lot of people thinking that Watts was going to be the starting first baseman this year.  He does have the size, but I remember watching a game he played in last year thinking he had a slow bat to make the jump right away and be a consistent hitter.  I think he has probably had a great opportunity to get better and adjust to pitching this year.  I really look forward to him developing into a big time power hitter.

HOG02

What is the deal with the state tournaments now.  Does it seem like almost every team gets into the tournament?
If I can recall what I have seen in the paper, I think teams with sub .500 conference records even get into the playoffs.

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: HOG02 on May 01, 2007, 09:54:54 pm
What is the deal with the state tournaments now.  Does it seem like almost every team gets into the tournament?
If I can recall what I have seen in the paper, I think teams with sub .500 conference records even get into the playoffs.

Yeah thats about right.  Since they have reclassified schools adding the 6A and 7A, both of those classifications only have 16teams each.  They wanted to split up the biggest 16 schools from the smallest 16 schools.  Not a bad idea if there were 50 something schools, but not 32.  The old 5A, and even the really old 4A, just use to have the biggest 32 schools.  4conf's with 8 teams each.  Now we just have 2 conf's with 8 teams.  I personally dont like it.  Parkview is a powerhouse every year in basketball and have always played in the biggest class.  This yr they were in 6A. 

In a recent article about CoachPel.  He said in Kentucky they dont have classifications.  All the schools have to compete against one another.  He said in Kent that "Sweet16's" where what each school measured their success on.  I like that idea.  When my dad played he said they used to have an "Overall" champion.  That was in late '60's early '70's(CalicoRock).  I like the fact of having ALL the teams play one another.  Whos to say a 2A or a 3A couldnt compete in basketball or baseball. 

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Hawgballz

Fayetteville (Tim Carver & Jake Fuller signed) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Van Buren
Benton (Greg Noble signed) plays at 4:00 Friday at Searcy
Little Rock Central (Drew Smyly signed) plays at 2:30 Saturday at Van Buren
Conway (Casey Cooper & Luke Pruett being recruited) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Van Buren
CAC (Matt Humphrey being recruited) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Mills University Studies
North Little Rock (Dean Larson being recruited) plays at 4:00 Friday at Van Buren
Texarkana (Lance Marvel being recruited, Bo Bigham committed for '08) plays at 6:30 Friday at Harding University
Searcy (Scott Sammons being recruited) plays at 2:30 Saturday at Searcy
Camden Fairview (Jim Youngblood committed for '08) plays at 12:00 Friday at Camden Fairview

Several of the juniors & sophomores that Arkansas is looking at did not make the State Tournaments.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

perfectgame

Drew Loe LHP from Prescott will pitch friday most likely. @ Harrison in the 3A state tournament.
he's an 08 that Arkansas is recruiting, but he's leaning towards Ole Miss.

perfectgame

Jake Atwell is another LHP Arkansas has intrest in from parkers chapel that will be playing this weekend in the 2A class.

cypress rock

Yes, Monticello made it . They play Greenwood Friday in Camden.

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 02, 2007, 01:09:12 pm
Fayetteville (Tim Carver & Jake Fuller signed) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Van Buren
Benton (Greg Noble signed) plays at 4:00 Friday at Searcy
Little Rock Central (Drew Smyly signed) plays at 2:30 Saturday at Van Buren
Conway (Casey Cooper & Luke Pruett being recruited) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Van Buren
CAC (Matt Humphrey being recruited) plays at 12:00 Saturday at Mills University Studies
North Little Rock (Dean Larson being recruited) plays at 4:00 Friday at Van Buren
Texarkana (Lance Marvel being recruited, Bo Bigham committed for '08) plays at 6:30 Friday at Harding University
Searcy (Scott Sammons being recruited) plays at 2:30 Saturday at Searcy
Camden Fairview (Jim Youngblood committed for '08) plays at 12:00 Friday at Camden Fairview

Several of the juniors & sophomores that Arkansas is looking at did not make the State Tournaments.

Thanks!  Thats good info.  I will have to check out the Mills and Searcy tourny's.  I would love to make it to VB, but too far.

BigDave70

Quote from: cypress rock on May 02, 2007, 02:49:12 pm
sweet
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Hawgballz

Quote from: BigDave70 on May 02, 2007, 04:04:42 pm
Quote from: cypress rock on May 02, 2007, 02:49:12 pm
sweet

It should be noted that Tyler Wilson will be pitching for Greenwood and is being considered as a pro draft prospect for '08, along with being a highly recruited QB.

BigDave70

that isn't good for monticello if he the starting pitcher

demonHOG1013

anybody know who and when Springdale High plays?

Hawgballz

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 03, 2007, 03:52:01 pm

Springdale plays Bryant at 6:30 Friday at Van Buren

demonHOG1013

Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 03, 2007, 03:58:59 pm
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 03, 2007, 03:52:01 pm

Springdale plays Bryant at 6:30 Friday at Van Buren

Thanks

Break & Run

Matt Humphrey <---- This name sounds SOOOO familar....
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

HOG02

Anybody have the 7A tourney matchups?

Hawgballz

Quote from: HOG02 on May 03, 2007, 09:05:10 pm
Anybody have the 7A tourney matchups?

Here are all the State Brackets:

http://www.ahsaa.org/2007%20Baseball%20State%20Brkts.pdf

HOG02

Thanks.  I can't believe the teams that get to make it to the state tournement anymore.  I mean you have teams that were below .500 in the conference that get a shot at the state title, that's a joke.

demonHOG1013

anybody got any updates on the state tourney games?? springdale-bryant game in particular

futurehogdad

Springdale lost to Bryant
Roger lost to NLR
Cabot beat FT SMith Nortside
Harber beat Pine Bluff

Purple Tiger

Quote from: HOG02 on May 03, 2007, 10:50:20 pm
Thanks.  I can't believe the teams that get to make it to the state tournement anymore.  I mean you have teams that were below .500 in the conference that get a shot at the state title, that's a joke.
It makes money.

BadDogGHSDogPound

Greenwood beat Monticello on Friday 6-0.

Greenwood beat host school Camden Fairview today 12-8.

Will face Magnolia, Monday at 4 for a return shot to defend their state title at Baum. Wilson will pitch against Magnolia.
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

erniehog

For more info on high school sports go to Fearlessfriday.com

mobaseball

Fayetteville beat Cabot
Har Ber beat Central
FSSS beat Bryant
Conway beat NLR

Conway vs FSSS Monday @ 4:00
Fayetteville vs Har Ber     @ 6:30

Next Saturday the 2 winning teams meet at Baum.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: futurehogdad on May 04, 2007, 10:42:52 pm

That's my 501 boys right there. Show 479 how we do it in Central Arkansas

Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

demonHOG1013

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on May 05, 2007, 11:30:27 pm

wow you guys beat a team with 5 conf. wins

Break & Run

my school's team didnt have ONE...lmao!!!  and the admin just built a new complex!!  haha!!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

demonHOG1013

any updates...whos playin in the 7A finals?

selfexplanatory

Arkansas recruit Catcher Lance Marvel hit 2 Home Runs, including a Grand Slam in the top of the 7th to lead Texarkana over Searcy.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 06, 2007, 03:59:31 pm

don't be a tool and ask for the score of the game and then downplay it when Springdale loses. Plus I went to Benton (Bryant's rival).
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

zebra

7A is down to the semi's:
Fayetteville vs Har-Ber
Conway vs Southside
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 07, 2007, 08:11:43 am
any updates...whos playin in the 7A finals?

razorhead69

Hey Zebra how did Woodlawn do this weekend?
White Hall?

HogISH™

Quote from: mobaseball on May 05, 2007, 11:11:42 pm
Fayetteville beat Cabot
Har Ber beat Central
FSSS beat Bryant
Conway beat NLR

Fayetteville vs Har Ber     @ 6:30

are tonights games still in VB or somewhere else?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Hawgballz

Quote from: HogISH™ on May 07, 2007, 11:23:03 am
Quote from: mobaseball on May 05, 2007, 11:11:42 pm
Fayetteville beat Cabot
Har Ber beat Central
FSSS beat Bryant
Conway beat NLR

Fayetteville vs Har Ber     @ 6:30

are tonights games still in VB or somewhere else?

HogISH

VanBuren

woospapiggy

Can anyone post the semi-final games in each classification please?  Thank You.

selfexplanatory

7A at Van Buren

Conway vs FS Southside  Tue 4:00
Fayetville vs Har Ber        Tue 6:30

6A at Searcy

West Memphis vs Watson Chapel  Mon 4:00
Marion vs Texarkana                   Mon 6:30

5A at Camden Fairview

Greenwood vs Magnolia          Mon 4:00
Greene Co Tech vs Batesville  Mon 6:30

4A at Mills University Studies

Farmington vs Valley View     Mon 4:00
CAC vs Nashville                  Mon 6:30

3A at Harrison

Harding Academy vs Abundant Life   Mon 4:00
Horatio vs Pea Ridge                      Mon 6:30

2A at Pine Bluff

Dierks vs Woodlawn                  Mon 4:00
Junction City vs Parkers Chapel  Mon 6:30

1A at Southside Bee Branch

Taylor vs Southside Bee Branch  Mon 4:00
West Side vs Trinity Christian     Mon 6:30
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.

BigDave70

Greenwood looks like they might win the whole thing

hogband6

Greenwood just lost to Magnolia 3-1.  Panthers headed to Baum next weekend.

BigDave70

thanks for that update, thats waht I get for thinking!!lol

demonHOG1013

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on May 07, 2007, 10:05:07 am
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 06, 2007, 03:59:31 pm

don't be a tool and ask for the score of the game and then downplay it when Springdale loses. Plus I went to Benton (Bryant's rival).

I didnt expect them to win, I was actually just curious if they kept it close, which they didnt. And I wouldnt brag too much on the Central. 3 of the 4 teams in the semis are from the west, not that it matters anymore since the classifications are so screwed up now.  They should just let every team play in the tournament.  16 teams is what it used to be anyways

zebra

7A games to be played today in Russellville at ATU.

razorhead69

2A games to be made up today also in Pine Bluff.
Go Woodlawn!!

mobaseball

Fayettetville 3 Har-Ber 0
Conway       4 FSSS    1

Fayetteville to defend state title against Conway Saturday 5:30 at Baum

razorhead69

May 09, 2007, 06:35:17 am #46 Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:51:15 pm by razorhead69

Go Woodlawn & Fayetteville.!!!

Hawgzilla

Quote from: selfexplanatory on May 07, 2007, 09:19:34 am
Arkansas recruit Catcher Lance Marvel hit 2 Home Runs, including a Grand Slam in the top of the 7th to lead Texarkana over Searcy.
Not sure if Lance is going to Arkansas,He signed with Texarkana College earlier this year. I would love to see Lance as a Hog. Played TE for the little Hogs,and runs better than average for a catcher.......

selfexplanatory

Texarkana College or what, Lance Marvel is a stud.  He hit another home run in the state tournament to give him three in four at bats.

razorhead69

Tourny finals start tomorrow at 4:30 pm with the 2A final.