Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sure am glad...............

Started by ShadowHawg, February 03, 2016, 08:16:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 03, 2016, 10:22:10 pm
I mean if you want to be real a no name new coach beat us in recruiting with just kids from our state!

It is also real that we had a dang good shot at beating them on their own floor regardless of where those kids came from. Home cooking beat us more than any kids from Arkansas.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Atlhogfan1

Bench outscored 25-11 tonight

Babb and/or KA would have helped the depth. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 10:14:51 pm
15 pts a game in conference speaks for itself. Trying to pretend JW is a better player than KA just makes you lose all credibility. Also is ahead of JW in EVERY statistical category including shooting %....Even on an off night out scored JW 10-2 tonight...................

Depends on who you've played in conf and how many pts you have scored against the top vs the bottom of the league.

I don't think KA sucks. I think he would not fit here though and he is no longer an elite athlete when compared to the other guys on the floor which was his strength in HS.

KA scores his conf points against turds at home and because Florida is awful from the 3 pt line. If they sign a dead eye shooter, KA is going to lose his spot there as a starter's minutes guy. But he runs well in a straight line and is physical which is what White loves in his system. He's a good fit for what White wants to do. He would be lost up here with little hope of ever running the point or unseating our current shooters or the ones coming in.

It's the KA fans that are saying he and Whitt aren't even in the same league which is so dumb. KA wouldn't get any more minutes here than Whitt is because KA is a scorer not a shooter, just like Whitt, and our system thrives on efficient outside shooting and strong ball handling at the point. KA is not a high D1 point guard either. He is not as strong with the ball as Whitt is.

I think both guys are exactly where they need to be.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hobhog on February 03, 2016, 10:27:45 pm
But we hustled!!!!

You didn't mean that as a sarcastic slap at our team did you? As if giving good effort is something to laugh at or belittle? Just want to clarify.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 10:29:48 pm
Bench outscored 25-11 tonight

Babb and/or KA would have helped the depth.

KA? LOL!

Seriously which point guard or shooting guard is KA taking minutes from? Hannahs? Bell? Durham? Beard?

Think he would be better at Watkins role than Manny is?

Or do you think he would have made more Whitt's 7 mins than Jimmy did? Keep in mind, aside from FT's, KA and Whitt had the same stat line except it took KA over 3 times as many minutes to get his.

I liked Babb also but I doubt that he would be big in the rotation this year either. You think that might be why he transferred? I am not so sure Babb would have ever been more than a role player looking at who is here and who is coming.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 10:20:02 pm
He plays THREE times the minutes that Whitt gets to. So you would play KA ahead of Durham, Beard, Hannahs, and Bell? Really?

KA would be a terrible fit for what we do. He is not even close to being the best athlete on the floor. Whitt would be a terrible fit for Florida because he isn't as physical as KA.

I think that both programs and kids are exactly where they belong. I think Whitt will have the better career and KA will likely have a seat if Florida lands a shooter and he isn't able to run the point, which he doesn't look like he would be a great candidate for that at all.

Tonight it took Whitt 7 minutes to do what KA took 28 mins to do. KA did double him up  on made FGs though! LOL
So you view a freshman getting on the court 3 times as much on a better team as a negative?

Did you see the part about higher shooting percentages in every category? And Allen was a better player than beard in high school, he is in college too.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 03, 2016, 10:29:49 pm
It is also real that we had a dang good shot at beating them on their own floor regardless of where those kids came from. Home cooking beat us more than any kids from Arkansas.
I didn't see much on the home cooking front, a couple of questionable fouls are going to be in each game, but this was nowhere like LSU or a couple of home games we have had with bad officiating. The carry call could have been huge, but NCAA officials are so inconsistent in calling those you really can't hang your hat on it.

I thought we played really well for about 30 minutes, but lost it with the other 10 minutes of really bad defense, and a stupid Technical foul after you get fouled barking at players/refs!

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 10:37:33 pm
KA? LOL!

Seriously which point guard or shooting guard is KA taking minutes from? Hannahs? Bell? Durham? Beard?

Or do you think he would have made more Whitt's 7 mins than Jimmy did? Keep in mind, aside from FT's, KA and Whitt had the same stat line except it took KA over 3 times as many minutes to get his.

I liked Babb also but I doubt that he would be big in the rotation this year either. You think that might be why he transferred? I am not so sure Babb would have ever been more than a role player looking at who is here and who is coming.
You just said Watkins is better than Allen. I'm the one that's stupid for even talking to you.  Waste of time. 

Atlhogfan1

KA? LOL!

Already answered.  Beard and Whitt. 

Most are role players. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Karma on February 03, 2016, 10:35:10 pm
So you view a freshman getting on the court 3 times as much on a better team as a negative?

Did you see the part about higher shooting percentages in every category? And Allen was a better player than beard in high school, he is in college too.

Beard plays the point. Allen doesn't and shouldn't.

Again, KA wouldn't play any more than Whitt does if he were here. Please tell us whose minutes you think he would get, not whose you THINK he should get.

Minutes have to do with need and system. KA wouldn't be getting three times the minutes even in Florida if they could find anyone that could shoot a 3 consistently and he would absolutely be getting Whitt type mins if he was here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 10:43:32 pm
Beard plays the point. Allen doesn't and shouldn't.

Again, KA wouldn't play any more than Whitt does if he were here. Please tell us whose minutes you think he would get, not whose you THINK he should get.

Minutes have to do with need and system. KA wouldn't be getting three times the minutes even in Florida if they could find anyone that could shoot a 3 consistently and he would absolutely be getting Whitt type mins if he was here.

Not very well.

rude1

KA? LOL!

Ok I get it, 10 pts is equal to 2 pts in your realm, because after all free throws don't really count, so we actually won the game tonight. Must be nice to live your world.......

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Karma on February 03, 2016, 10:37:27 pm
You just said Watkins is better than Allen. I'm the one that's stupid for even talking to you.  Waste of time.

Watkins plays a specific role that KA doesn't even begin to fit. You think KA would like to be a guy who isn't allowed to take an outside shot like Watkins? KA's season stats are atrocious. His conf stats are going to look awful after they get done with this next half of the season as well. They go to Kentucky Saturday. How do you think a guy that is 2-7 at home against our guards is going to do at Rupp against lottery picks?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 10:47:08 pm
Ok I get it, 10 pts is equal to 2 pts in your realm, because after all free throws don't really count, so we actually won the game tonight. Must be nice to live your world.......

He got to shoot technical fouls and ft's late. He was 2-7 from the floor and if Kingsley wasn't in foul trouble he would have stuffed one of those two makes down KA's throat instead of backing up and letting him get them.

I guess 6 ft's is a bigger deal to you than being a non factor in the rest of the categories for 20+ mins.

You better hope KA turns it on starting this weekend because FLa's conf schedule picks up big time the rest of the way in terms of road games and talent.

We will revisit this at the end of the season.

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 10:47:48 pm
Watkins plays a specific role that KA doesn't even begin to fit. You think KA would like to be a guy who isn't allowed to take an outside shot like Watkins? KA's season stats are atrocious. His conf stats are going to look awful after they get done with this next half of the season as well. They go to Kentucky Saturday. How do you think a guy that is 2-7 at home against our guards is going to do at Rupp against lottery picks?
Watkins stat line tonight: 22 minutes, 1-3 from field, 1-1 free throw for 3 pts., 1 rebound, 2 assists 2 turnovers. Yeah I can see what you mean, must be those intangibles that don't show up in that stat sheet that makes him so irreplaceable by a slug like KA.....................

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 10:53:37 pm
Watkins stat line tonight: 22 minutes, 1-3 from field, 1-1 free throw for 3 pts., 1 rebound, 2 assists 2 turnovers. Yeah I can see what you mean, must be those intangibles that don't show up in that stat sheet that makes him so irreplaceable by a slug like KA.....................

Watkins is glue guy who sets picks that Bell and Hannahs curl and score on. He plays hard on defense and keeps a lot of balls alive and he knows he shouldn't shoot the ball from the outside when there are better options on the floor than himself. Is that the kind of role YOU think KA should play?

Why are you so upset? I think KA is a good enough frosh to make most rotations in our league. I think Whitt is also.

They play in different systems. KA would be an awful fit here just like Whitt would be an awful fit there.

I just don't think KA would have added even one win to the column for us this year, including if he didn't play for Fla tonight. He struggles against teams with height at the guard position. He even struggled from the field tonight and our guards give up points in bushels.

He goes to Kentucky Saturday, let's see how he does. I hope he does well. I don't think he will though.

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 11:03:18 pm
Watkins is glue guy who sets picks that Bell and Hannahs curl and score on. He plays hard on defense and keeps a lot of balls alive and he knows he shouldn't shoot the ball from the outside when there are better options on the floor than himself. Is that the kind of role YOU think KA should play?

Why are you so upset? I think KA is a good enough frosh to make most rotations in our league. I think Whitt is also.

They play in different systems. KA would be an awful fit here just like Whitt would be an awful fit there.

I just don't think KA would have added even one win to the column for us this year, including if he didn't play for Fla tonight. He struggles against teams with height at the guard position. He even struggled from the field tonight and our guards give up points in bushels.

He goes to Kentucky Saturday, let's see how he does. I hope he does well. I don't think he will though.
Keep dreaming, right now KA could play in any system, would easily be the first guard option off the bench. At the end of the day there is no comparison in those two guys talents, as the season has moved along Whitt's game has regressed to the point of non existing, while KA's game has improved to the point of putting up 15 pts to JW 4 pts per game in conference. As many homers as there are on this board, your assertion is so ridiculous they won't even touch this one........................

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 11:19:39 pm
Keep dreaming, right now KA could play in any system, would easily be the first guard option off the bench. At the end of the day there is no comparison in those two guys talents, as the season has moved along Whitt's game has regressed to the point of non existing, while KA's game has improved to the point of putting up 15 pts to JW 4 pts per game in conference. As many homers as there are on this board, your assertion is so ridiculous they won't even touch this one........................

Keep talking. I am bringing this back up Saturday. Hope you are right, but I love bball and watch tons of it and have for decades now.

I have nothing against KA at all. I hope he does well because by all accounts he is a good kid and I thought he handled his recruitment extremely well in both public and private capacities.

I like how you say at this point of the season our team's record says who we are, then turn around and claim that KA's season shooting stats aren't a reflection of who he is, which is a 33% three point shooter, and a 42% overall shooter from the field who averages 2.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1 turnover in 25 minutes a game.

hulk hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 10:32:11 pm
Depends on who you've played in conf and how many pts you have scored against the top vs the bottom of the league.

I don't think KA sucks. I think he would not fit here though and he is no longer an elite athlete when compared to the other guys on the floor which was his strength in HS.

KA scores his conf points against turds at home and because Florida is awful from the 3 pt line. If they sign a dead eye shooter, KA is going to lose his spot there as a starter's minutes guy. But he runs well in a straight line and is physical which is what White loves in his system. He's a good fit for what White wants to do. He would be lost up here with little hope of ever running the point or unseating our current shooters or the ones coming in.

It's the KA fans that are saying he and Whitt aren't even in the same league which is so dumb. KA wouldn't get any more minutes here than Whitt is because KA is a scorer not a shooter, just like Whitt, and our system thrives on efficient outside shooting and strong ball handling at the point. KA is not a high D1 point guard either. He is not as strong with the ball as Whitt is.

I think both guys are exactly where they need to be.

The problem this team has it that they don't have the guards or forwards to consistently score off the dribble or take the ball to the rack and get fouled.  Scotty talked about it tonight.  Jump shots don't get you to the free throw line. Whitt was supposed to be that guy but he has given no signs it will happen this year. The team has shooters but lacks physical scorers at guard and forward... So KA is physical and a scorer and seems to be exactly the type of player this team currently does not have.  So obviously he wouldn't fit in here.

Our conference opponents minus Kentucky aren't that different. Whitt had his only double digit game against Missouri.  KA is averaging more points on the road in conference than at home (even with the 0 at A&M). He is the 4th highest scoring Freshman in the league (the other 3 are McDonald's All-Americans). I love Whitt and he will be fine but no matter how you spin it the stats don't lie.  KA is better than Whitt right now and I think he would be playing a valuable role and making an impact on this team if he were here. 
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hulk hog on February 03, 2016, 11:54:44 pm
The problem this team has it that they don't have the guards or forwards to consistently score off the dribble or take the ball to the rack and get fouled.  Scotty talked about it tonight.  Jump shots don't get you to the free throw line. Whitt was supposed to be that guy but he has given no signs it will happen this year. The team has shooters but lacks physical scorers at guard and forward... So KA is physical and a scorer and seems to be exactly the type of player this team currently does not have.  So obviously he wouldn't fit in here.

Our conference opponents minus Kentucky aren't that different. Whitt had his only double digit game against Missouri.  KA is averaging more points on the road in conference than at home (even with the 0 at A&M). He is the 4th highest scoring Freshman in the league (the other 3 are McDonald's All-Americans). I love Whitt and he will be fine but no matter how you spin it the stats don't lie.  KA is better than Whitt right now and I think he would be playing a valuable role and making an impact on this team if he were here.

See you Saturday.

Being a "scorer" is a nice way of saying you can't shoot. KA isn't much at actually scoring, just like Whitt. Whitt was supposed to be a better shooter. He hasn't been obviously.

KA only got to the FT line tonight by shooting techs and getting fouled in the last 2 minutes. That's not what Scotty was talking about either. This isn't hard.

KA is too inefficient to be that guy for this team just like Whitt. It's funny, Florida wants him to shoot more from the outside, not because he makes them, but someone has to keep the D off Finney-Smith and Egbunu by at least being a threat to shoot from the outside for them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 08:40:02 pm
You think Allen looked good? I thought he was smart not coming here after tonight because he isn't a good fit. He is stiff  athletically, a poor shooter, didn't notice him being much on d either.

I was actually thinking the opposite here. I think Whitt has a much higher ceiling and made more plays tonight in his limited role than Allen made with all of his.

Aside from FTs, Allen isn't that much right now. If both he and Whitt were here I don't think we would have even one more win.

LOL

hobhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 03, 2016, 10:32:11 pm
You didn't mean that as a sarcastic slap at our team did you? As if giving good effort is something to laugh at or belittle? Just want to clarify.

It's a defense used for our team, as if we play harder than others. We don't.

It shouldn't even have to be discussed.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hobhog on February 04, 2016, 08:10:19 am
It's a defense used for our team, as if we play harder than others. We don't.

It shouldn't even have to be discussed.

Arkansas teams that play this style are known for playing tenacious, aggressive, attacking defense. That requires a high level of effort and energy. It doesn't work well when all 5 guys on the court aren't giving maximum effort.

Doesn't mean we are playing harder than other teams. It means that, to maximize our chances to win, we have to have a good deal of intensity, primarily on the defensive end to force tempo.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 12:49:19 am
See you Saturday.

Being a "scorer" is a nice way of saying you can't shoot. KA isn't much at actually scoring, just like Whitt. Whitt was supposed to be a better shooter. He hasn't been obviously.

KA only got to the FT line tonight by shooting techs and getting fouled in the last 2 minutes. That's not what Scotty was talking about either. This isn't hard.

KA is too inefficient to be that guy for this team just like Whitt. It's funny, Florida wants him to shoot more from the outside, not because he makes them, but someone has to keep the D off Finney-Smith and Egbunu by at least being a threat to shoot from the outside for them.

I take it you didn't see in the first half when Whitt was guarding KeVaughn. KeVaughn crossed him over and shot a 3 in his eye. KeVaughn is far superior to Whitt. He actually has a shot that doesn't look unorthodox. It seems no coaches from middle school, high school, or AAU coaches were doing their job to fix his shot mechanics.

Michael Anderson and his staff need to spend the rest of this year and next year changing Whitt's mechanics on his shot. When you shoot around your ear your shot takes longer to develop. This allows the defenders to get back in position and contest that shot.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Quote from: Hog1751 on February 03, 2016, 09:10:16 pm
I'm so sick of hearing about how we missed on Allen. The kid didn't want to come Arkansas so get over it. Jimmy Whitt will be a nice player for us when its said and done. While officiating was bad at times what cost us this game was poor interior defense and poor free throw shooting early. The fact that we have already won more games than most people on here thought should be enough to get people off Mikes back. Were literally a dozen or so plays away from being 17-4. The fact that this team is so short handed and yet continues to win games at home and play well on the road should give everyone hope for the future.

Keep posting.

Quote from: Hog1751 on February 03, 2016, 09:10:16 pm
I'm so sick of hearing about how we missed on Allen. The kid didn't want to come Arkansas so get over it. Jimmy Whitt will be a nice player for us when its said and done. While officiating was bad at times what cost us this game was poor interior defense and poor free throw shooting early. The fact that we have already won more games than most people on here thought should be enough to get people off Mikes back. Were literally a dozen or so plays away from being 17-4. The fact that this team is so short handed and yet continues to win games at home and play well on the road should give everyone hope for the future.
The team is 1-9 outside of Bud Walton. That's playing well on the road?

azhog10

Quote from: Karma on February 04, 2016, 10:26:16 am
The team is 1-9 outside of Bud Walton. That's playing well on the road?
He didn't say winning. A team can play well and not win.......I imainge some here don't understand that concept. Playing well doesn't get you in the NCAAT. But that doesn't mean that you didn't play well. We have played well on the road more than we haven't this year. Losing 7 games by 4 points or less shows the team is close. But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Danny J

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 09:15:22 am
I take it you didn't see in the first half when Whitt was guarding KeVaughn. KeVaughn crossed him over and shot a 3 in his eye. KeVaughn is far superior to Whitt. He actually has a shot that doesn't look unorthodox. It seems no coaches from middle school, high school, or AAU coaches were doing their job to fix his shot mechanics.

Michael Anderson and his staff need to spend the rest of this year and next year changing Whitt's mechanics on his shot. When you shoot around your ear your shot takes longer to develop. This allows the defenders to get back in position and contest that shot.
Agreed...Whitt has access to A LOT of guys who know a thing or two about mechanics and all 4 are some of the best shooters ever at arkansas. He  needs to put in the work

hobhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 09:07:01 am
Arkansas teams that play this style are known for playing tenacious, aggressive, attacking defense. That requires a high level of effort and energy. It doesn't work well when all 5 guys on the court aren't giving maximum effort.

Doesn't mean we are playing harder than other teams. It means that, to maximize our chances to win, we have to have a good deal of intensity, primarily on the defensive end to force tempo.

Fascinating. Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing.

HoopS

Whitt shoots closer to the moon than to his ear.

latrops

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 11:28:33 pm
Keep talking. I am bringing this back up Saturday. Hope you are right, but I love bball and watch tons of it and have for decades now.

I have nothing against KA at all. I hope he does well because by all accounts he is a good kid and I thought he handled his recruitment extremely well in both public and private capacities.

I like how you say at this point of the season our team's record says who we are, then turn around and claim that KA's season shooting stats aren't a reflection of who he is, which is a 33% three point shooter, and a 42% overall shooter from the field who averages 2.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1 turnover in 25 minutes a game.

Am I the only one who thinks 42% overall and 33%  from three are actually pretty good percentages for a freshman guard, especially one with a relatively high usage rate.

As desperate as we are for bench scoring it would be nice if Whitt were as "lousy" as Allen right now.

Whitt may well develop into a better player over the next few seasons, but right now, objectively speaking, Allen is off to a much better start in both actual production and efficiency.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 09:15:22 am

Allen didn't make a 3 all night Captain Obvious, but that is your marquee play for him? A missed shot from 20 feet. That is a talent that is hard to come by. I am sure Whitt couldn't do that.

By the way Obvious, anyone who has ever coached knows you change a player's mechanics out of season, not in it.

See you Saturday.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 02:10:32 pm
Allen didn't make a 3 all night Captain Obvious, but that is your marquee play for him? A missed shot from 20 feet. That is a talent that is hard to come by. I am sure Whitt couldn't do that.

By the way Obvious, anyone who has ever coached knows you change a player's mechanics out of season, not in it.

See you Saturday.

Whitt rarely does it.  1-5 from 3 this season.  The prize of our recruiting class is a SG who 2/3 of the way through the season is 1-5 from 3.  2-14 from 2 over the last 5 SEC games.  Is it rare for a top 75 recruit SG not to be able to shoot?  I look fwd to your posts Saturday as you are so hoping you can make some definitive arguments against KA based on how he plays one game vs UK. 

TomBigBeeHog

Yeah, what about Moses and that tech? That was bogus right? Sure am glad we get them in the Bud in the next 3 or 4 years from now. Maybe we will have a home game against them by the time Gafford's Jr year rolls around.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 02:24:44 pm
Yeah, what about Moses and that tech? That was bogus right? Sure am glad we get them in the Bud in the next 3 or 4 years from now. Maybe we will have a home game against them by the time Gafford's Jr year rolls around.

Moses has been crying like a  after most every possession this season defensive or offensive whether it is something called on him or a teammate or not called.  It was just a matter of time till an official grew tired of it.  Maybe he didn't deserve the one he got but he has probably not gotten some he had earned. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:29:11 pm
Moses has been crying like a  after most every possession this season defensive or offensive whether it is something called on him or a teammate or not called.  It was just a matter of time till an official grew tired of it.  Maybe he didn't deserve the one he got but he has probably not gotten some he had earned.
So that makes it okay? "I'm going to T you up bc I'm sure at some point this season you should have gotten one but didn't". Yeah I like that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 02:31:11 pm
So that makes it okay? "I'm going to T you up bc I'm sure at some point this season you should have gotten one but didn't". Yeah I like that.

Where did I say it was?  Officials are tired of his whining.  Durham is due for one as well. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: latrops on February 04, 2016, 02:05:33 pm
Am I the only one who thinks 42% overall and 33%  from three are actually pretty good percentages for a freshman guard, especially one with a relatively high usage rate.

As desperate as we are for bench scoring it would be nice if Whitt were as "lousy" as Allen right now.

Whitt may well develop into a better player over the next few seasons, but right now, objectively speaking, Allen is off to a much better start in both actual production and efficiency.

You are the only one trying to claim those putrid numbers as good. Yes. For comparison, Day shot 49% from the floor as a frosh, Mayberry shot 52% overall and 45% from 3, Thurman shot 47 % and 45% from 3 while leading the team in scoring at 17 a game, Corliss 57%, Joe Johnson 49% and 36% and only played the second half of the season so he didn't even get a warmup for conference.

So no, 42% and 33% aren't good for a frosh. They are average, not the stats of difference maker which is what this team needed.

You also have to factor how is KA performing in the rest of the areas of the game. 2 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1 turnover. The only thing KA brings to the table is his offense.

All I ever pointed out about KA is that he wouldn't have helped OUR team at all and that he made a good choice in going to Fla where that is helping their team.

Think about it, his 3 pt shooting is way to low for him take minutes from Hannahs and Bell. He isn't a point guard in any way shape or form so he wouldn't take minutes from Durham or Beard. Watkins hasn't shot a 3 all year. Do you think KA would like that role?

KA is getting more minutes and has a bigger role in the offense at Florida than he would here by far. I think Whitt is a better fit here than KA would have been. Whitt is much stronger with the ball than KA is. Not to mention, Whitt is getting less than 10 mins a game the further we have moved into conference play. That's all KA would be getting if he was here as well. So how would that give him the opportunity to be a difference maker here?

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:31:32 pm
Where did I say it was?  Officials are tired of his whining.  Durham is due for one as well.
Your justification for him getting his technical. Typically an argument includes a justification. Your justification was that he whines, and he was due for one. Maybe he didn't deserve it, but he had gotten away with some that he should have.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:31:32 pm

Not everyone hates our Coach and players the way you do.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 02:35:39 pm
Not everyone hates our Coach and players the way you do.

Didn't mention our coach and don't hate any players.  I'm good with the ones on the roster right now. 

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 02:35:12 pm
Your justification for him getting his technical. Typically an argument includes a justification. Your justification was that he whines, and he was due for one. Maybe he didn't deserve it, but he had gotten away with some that he should have.

You know as a coach that players and coaches can't show up officials.  Moses does it on regular basis.  if he doesn't get control of it, he will get T'ed again this season.

Perhaps his coach needs to lobby more for him if Moses is being mistreated as much as he acts as he is. 

ROASHE

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 02:24:44 pm

While they have played in Gainesville the last two seasons, you do realize that prior to that, the game was played in Fayetteville in 4 of 6 meetings?

http://www.hogstats.com/seriesresults.php?opponent=Florida

HawgAdvocate

February 04, 2016, 03:30:25 pm #93 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:59:38 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 02:34:48 pm
Think about it, his 3 pt shooting is way to low for him take minutes from Hannahs and Bell. He isn't a point guard in any way shape or form so he wouldn't take minutes from Durham or Beard. Watkins hasn't shot a 3 all year. Do you think KA would like that role?

Wait...you believe that, had KA been a Hog, he wouldn't take outside shots because of a pre-conceived role? In the 11 games since his 12/29 breakout against Florida State, KA has shot 40% from outside (22/54). That's better than Beard (38%, 14/37 on the year), for comparison.

There have been quite a few games where either Bell or Hannahs have struggled (Stanford, Mercer, etc), and having another reliable scorer could/would/should have made a difference in at least some of this season's close losses. Bell and Hannahs have combined to attempt 39% of all Razorback FG attempts (514/1386). Throw in Moses and the trio is responsible for 56% of the team's shots. Point being, there's not a lot of offense coming elsewhere.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2016, 03:30:25 pm
Wait...you believe that, had KA been a Hog, he wouldn't take outside shots because of a pre-conceived role? In the 11 games since his 12/29 breakout against Florida State, KA has shot 40% from outside (22/54). That's better than Beard (38%, 14-37 on the year), for comparison.

There have been quite a few games where either Bell or Hannahs have struggled (Stanford, Mercer, etc), and having another reliable scorer could/would/should have made a difference in at least some of this season's close losses. Bell and Hannahs have combined to attempt 39% of all Razorback FG attempts (514/1386). Throw in Moses and the trio is responsible for 56% of the team's shots. Point being, there's not a lot of offense coming elsewhere.
Bingo because our one stud recruit provides almost nothing, where as KA provides lots to his team.

One possession was very telling, deflected ball and JW gets the ball in break away position, Leon out runs him and stops the possibility of a fast break, a tweener forward is faster than our stud guard recruit. Just a good thing he is such a great shooter.

latrops

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 02:34:48 pm
You are the only one trying to claim those putrid numbers as good. Yes. For comparison, Day shot 49% from the floor as a frosh, Mayberry shot 52% overall and 45% from 3, Thurman shot 47 % and 45% from 3 while leading the team in scoring at 17 a game, Corliss 57%, Joe Johnson 49% and 36% and only played the second half of the season so he didn't even get a warmup for conference.

So no, 42% and 33% aren't good for a frosh. They are average, not the stats of difference maker which is what this team needed.

Gotcha.  So if you aren't immediately proven to be among a program's all time greats, you aren't a difference maker and are essentially useless.  Just not sure why you hold Allen to that all but impossible standard (solid shooting percentages are "putrid") yet praise how Whitt and his worse across the board numbers are such a fit here.

Did you know that Hannah's shot below 40% from the field in his freshman and sophomore seasons... and Bell (wanna talk about putrid, check out his freshman stats) was below 40% each of his first three seasons?  Anton Beard shot 38% overall and 35% from three last year.  Freshman guards that shoot near or over 50% from the field and 40% from three while playing significant minutes are generally pretty special. 

Allen's shooting percentages and scoring numbers are actually pretty comparable to Michael Qualls junior year stats.  Was Qualls putrid last year?

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 02:38:27 pm
Didn't mention our coach and don't hate any players.  I'm good with the ones on the roster right now. 

You know as a coach that players and coaches can't show up officials.  Moses does it on regular basis.  if he doesn't get control of it, he will get T'ed again this season.

Perhaps his coach needs to lobby more for him if Moses is being mistreated as much as he acts as he is.
I think "reputations" should be checked at the door. As a coach I may be heated at an official one game, but if I have them again I don't hold that against them and hope they do the same. Its competition and people get competitive and emotions get the best of them. Good officials should understand that.

Athog

Quote from: HoopS on February 03, 2016, 08:25:31 pm
I said that earlier this season. Whining too much. And it draws you an extra whistle here and there

Yep!!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2016, 03:30:25 pm
Wait...you believe that, had KA been a Hog, he wouldn't take outside shots because of a pre-conceived role? In the 11 games since his 12/29 breakout against Florida State, KA has shot 40% from outside (22/54). That's better than Beard (38%, 14/37 on the year), for comparison.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400830434

He's feast or famine, not old man river. He has feasted on the bottom of our conference and disappeared completely agianst the top of our conference. He is literally 10 for 30 from the floor against us, A&M, LSU, and Kentucky.

We didn't need him to beat Vandy or the bottom tier guys in the league as it stands right now. We needed a difference maker to beat those teams he is shooting 33% against.

Also, no preconceived role, he could have started early just like Whitt and he would be coming off the bench just like Whitt with those percentages versus what Hannahs and Bell are putting up. He doesn't have to the handles to be a point guard yet and Manny Watkins out hustles 99% of the world.

All I ever said was that Whitt and KA are pretty much even at this point and KA made a very good decision for himself because he wouldn't get starters minutes here with his current skill set.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: latrops on February 04, 2016, 06:04:59 pm
Gotcha.  So if you aren't immediately proven to be among a program's all time greats, you aren't a difference maker and are essentially useless.  Just not sure why you hold Allen to that all but impossible standard (solid shooting percentages are "putrid") yet praise how Whitt and his worse across the board numbers are such a fit here.

Did you know that Hannah's shot below 40% from the field in his freshman and sophomore seasons... and Bell (wanna talk about putrid, check out his freshman stats) was below 40% each of his first three seasons?  Anton Beard shot 38% overall and 35% from three last year.  Freshman guards that shoot near or over 50% from the field and 40% from three while playing significant minutes are generally pretty special. 

Allen's shooting percentages and scoring numbers are actually pretty comparable to Michael Qualls junior year stats.  Was Qualls putrid last year?

Because LA, offense is only about 30% of the actual game and the reason KA isn't a fit here is because he can't out shoot the guys we have and his handle at the collegiate level are weak so he wouldn't work there either.

Seriously, why do you think he would play ahead of Bell or Hannahs. His handles in the open court a shaky and he is not a particularly good facilitator so he wouldn't play point ahead Durham or Beard. Whitt can play the point if necessary right now. He is a better rebounder than KA and can facilitate better.

They have the same averages in most statistical categories but KA is averaging 10 minutes more a game to get there. Not the stuff of a difference maker.