Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting

Started by cardsNhogs, February 02, 2016, 01:53:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 09:57:47 am
At least when we lost Josh Frazier and Tenpenny, we had a 4-star DT and 5-star RB already committed. With KJ, we ended up with Dion Stewart, Pettway, and Dominique Reed. So despite the lost, we covered very well.

You are pretty good at rationalizing the football team losing instate talent. I bet if you tried just a teeny bit, you could do the same for basketball. But of course, that doesn't fit your narrative.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 09:51:25 am
Pretty sad if someone is drinking at 7:50 am. That's called someone that has problems.

I still haven't gotten your opinion on KJ Hill the golden boy that never plays. If he was a can't miss then he would have played last year?

Basketball recruiting rankings are more accurate than football because you get to see them all play in AAU. In AAU they play from 14-18 years of age against other future college players. Football recruiting is more of a guessing game. Basketball is not.

So in your world, a kid that doesn't come in and play football as a true freshman is not a good prospect? Put down the bottle Razorback Guy. Somewhere there is an AA meeting in session. You may still have time to make it.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 09:34:13 am
You forgot KJ Hill who committed and then left for O State. Ironically, this was the guy who claimed he could deliver Allen for the bball team.

Most of the elite high school athletes have left the state in recent years and not just in bball. Although that's what you would think from some of the comments on here.

Well, I did specifically say THIS YEAR since people mentioned yesterday (NSD ). No one is claiming football never loses in state guys. In basketball one guy can be the difference between trying to claw your way to the NIT, and being a decent NCAAT seed. Would thi steam still be 11-11 if the had K Allen? Would he have helped out in the early games especially while Beard was out? Would that have meant wins against Stanford, Mercer and maybe Wake or GT? Maybe he provides the difference at LSU or GA.

While last year CBB did not get KJ Hill, he did get Greenlaw, Reed ( in state by way of JUCO ), and a couple other FR that played, plus some more like O'Grady that were able to red shirt ( i know red shirts are rare in bball ).

The thing is, MA has lost one of if not the top in state player in 3 different classes in Goodwin, Allen, and Monk. That would be the equivalent of the football program missing on DMAC, Hunter Henry, and Tyler Wilson.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 09:57:47 am
At least when we lost Josh Frazier and Tenpenny, we had a 4-star DT and 5-star RB already committed. With KJ, we ended up with Dion Stewart, Pettway, and Dominique Reed. So despite the lost, we covered very well.
Luckily the state produced another 4-star DT (that happens very few years where we have multiple DLine highly rated), as to AC he's not in state so it's not what we are talking about. As I've heard for two days now, we can't expect to sign top classes bc our state does not produce at that level. Ironically that works for just one sport.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 10:20:37 am
Well, I did specifically say THIS YEAR since people mentioned yesterday (NSD ). No one is claiming football never loses in state guys. In basketball one guy can be the difference between trying to claw your way to the NIT, and being a decent NCAAT seed. Would thi steam still be 11-11 if the had K Allen? Would he have helped out in the early games especially while Beard was out? Would that have meant wins against Stanford, Mercer and maybe Wake or GT? Maybe he provides the difference at LSU or GA.

While last year CBB did not get KJ Hill, he did get Greenlaw, Reed ( in state by way of JUCO ), and a couple other FR that played, plus some more like O'Grady that were able to red shirt ( i know red shirts are rare in bball ).

The thing is, MA has lost one of if not the top in state player in 3 different classes in Goodwin, Allen, and Monk. That would be the equivalent of the football program missing on DMAC, Hunter Henry, and Tyler Wilson.
To be fair, this is the first year CBB signed the top player in the state. Again, your argument is weak. Point is, if you and others truly believe that we can't expect to be a top recruiting school in a sport due to our state producing less talent (let's ignore that the last two years Arkansas produced more talent in football than it has in a number of years) the same argument should be valid for other sports. I didn't use that lack of talent in this state as an excuse.......that was used by others who blast CMA for his recruiting......

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 10:23:27 am
Luckily the state produced another 4-star DT (that happens very few years where we have multiple DLine highly rated), as to AC he's not in state so it's not what we are talking about. As I've heard for two days now, we can't expect to sign top classes bc our state does not produce at that level. Ironically that works for just one sport.

Signing a top class in football takes having 10-15 highly rated players, you can have a top bba;; class with one or 2 highly rated kids.

Here is the thing though, if Mike can't sign Monk, can he go out of state and get anyone close? Same for Allen, he did not get him, did he bring in anyone close to that talent from out of state.

Back when Eddie Sutton was here, and the state was producing very little top bball talent, he would go to Chicago or Ohio or Mizzu and get a top flight player, and when a Sidney or a BRewer came along in state, he would usually get them. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 10:25:30 am
Signing a top class in football takes having 10-15 highly rated players, you can have a top bba;; class with one or 2 highly rated kids.

Here is the thing though, if Mike can't sign Monk, can he go out of state and get anyone close? Same for Allen, he did not get him, did he bring in anyone close to that talent from out of state.

Back when Eddie Sutton was here, and the state was producing very little top bball talent, he would go to Chicago or Ohio or Mizzu and get a top flight player, and when a Sidney or a BRewer came along in state, he would usually get them.
Really? We had one highly rated recruit this last year and finished 94th or something like that. So no, one kid will not make a highly ranked class.

Continue trying to explain your double standard.

Again I completely understand that we have to recruit outside this state. CMA has shown he knows that as well. CBB has shown he knwos that as well. That's NOTHING NEW TO ANY COACH WHO COMES HERE IN ANY SPORT!!!

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 10:22:41 am
So in your world, a kid that doesn't come in and play football as a true freshman is not a good prospect?

Tommy, not when that schools brings in 2-3 guys at or better than him at his position. Urban Meyer said yesterday on ESPNU signing day special that getting redshirted at Ohio State is not what he'd prefer for any recruit. "They are here to play." Well.. That sounds like he plays true freshmen.

I'm afraid some of these in state Arkansas kids in basketball were the missing star players on this team.  :razorback:

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 10:31:31 am
Tommy, not when that schools brings in 2-3 guys at or better than him at his position. Urban Meyer said yesterday on ESPNU signing day special that getting redshirted at Ohio State is not what he'd prefer for any recruit. "They are here to play." Well.. That sounds like he plays true freshmen.

I'm afraid some of these in state Arkansas kids in basketball were the missing star players on this team.  :razorback:

Of course Urban would say that because he wants the next class to think they can come in and get on the field right away too. All coaches tell players that. Do you think his pitch is "come to Ohio State and wait your turn"?

By the way, I found a listing of AA meetings in NWA. Is that where you are? If not, let me know and I will find a list for your area. Don't give up. There is help for what ails you.

http://nwarkaa.org/

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 10:29:41 am
Really? We had one highly rated recruit this last year and finished 94th or something like that. So no, one kid will not make a highly ranked class.

Continue trying to explain your double standard.

Again I completely understand that we have to recruit outside this state. CMA has shown he knows that as well. CBB has shown he knwos that as well. That's NOTHING NEW TO ANY COACH WHO COMES HERE IN ANY SPORT!!!

you finish 94th when you sign one player and basically nothing else. But a decent group of players can be greatly raised by the presence of a top level player. Would last years class have been 94th if the had signed both Whitt and Allen?

A basketball roster has about half as many players total as one football signing class, so as with every other way of trying to compare the two sports, large leaps and long reaches have to be made.

And you seem to intentionally miss the point. This year CBB needed a RB, there were really none in state of any importance, so he goes to Texas and gets their best one ( according to most services ).

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 10:37:19 am
you finish 94th when you sign one player and basically nothing else. But a decent group of players can be greatly raised by the presence of a top level player. Would last years class have been 94th if the had signed both Whitt and Allen?

A basketball roster has about half as many players total as one football signing class, so as with every other way of trying to compare the two sports, large leaps and long reaches have to be made.

And you seem to intentionally miss the point. This year CBB needed a RB, there were really none in state of any importance, so he goes to Texas and gets their best one ( according to most services ).

We have had three 5-star players and three 4-star players in the state of Arkansas since Mike was hired here. He has only signed two of them, Portis and Beard. If Bielema was only landing 33% of his instate 4-stars, football would be doing about as bad as basketball.

Arkansas basketball has always been built around in-state guys. Now, we are seeing them leave the state at a 66% rate. Gafford will raise that number, but he isn't the only instate kid in that class so we'll see how it turns out.

A consistent top 25 class every year would have Arkansas as a top 25 program annually. A bad in-state and local crop of talent every few years may make that number drop lower (like the 2017 football class), but 94th is inexcusable, especially after losing over 80% of your production.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 11:19:34 am
We have had three 5-star players and three 4-star players in the state of Arkansas since Mike was hired here. He has only signed two of them, Portis and Beard. If Bielema was only landing 33% of his instate 4-stars, football would be doing about as bad as basketball.

Arkansas basketball has always been built around in-state guys. Now, we are seeing them leave the state at a 66% rate. Gafford will raise lower that number, but he isn't the only instate kid in that class so we'll see how it turns out.

A consistent top 25 class every year would have Arkansas as a top 25 program annually. A bad in-state and local crop of talent every few years may make that number drop lower (like the 2017 football class), but 94th is inexcusable an abberation, especially after losing over 80% of your production.

Fixed

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 11:25:51 am
Fixed

2011: 6th (Pelphrey's class, Mike kept)
2012: 58th
2013: 13th
2014: 38th
2015: 94th
2016: 25th

Recruiting consistency is not a description of Mike Anderson. The average of 2012-2015 (players on the roster), is 51st.

TomBigBeeHog

We are going to have a good team next year. Like it or not. It ain't all about recruiting rankings and stars.

Hogs football team recruiting class ranked ninth in the SEC out of 16 teams. That's the bottom half.  In the West our recruiting class was worse than everybody but Mississippi State. That doesn't mean we are going to be worse than half of the teams in the SEC nor does it mean we finish at the bottom of the West.

We are trending in the right direction in bball, regardless of class rankings.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 10:38:18 am
Of course Urban would say that because he wants the next class to think they can come in and get on the field right away too. All coaches tell players that. Do you think his pitch is "come to Ohio State and wait your turn"?

By the way, I found a listing of AA meetings in NWA. Is that where you are? If not, let me know and I will find a list for your area. Don't give up. There is help for what ails you.

http://nwarkaa.org/

So I need to fly from California all the way to Northwest Arkansas because TommyBeeHog thinks it's best. Gotcha...

Now let's get back to the discussion of Recruiting. Some of you guys follow it. Who's the big man coming in for next year?

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 12:11:03 pm
We are going to have a good team next year. Like it or not. It ain't all about recruiting rankings and stars.

Hogs football team recruiting class ranked ninth in the SEC out of 16 teams. That's the bottom half.  In the West our recruiting class was worse than everybody but Mississippi State. That doesn't mean we are going to be worse than half of the teams in the SEC nor does it mean we finish at the bottom of the West.

We are trending in the right direction in bball, regardless of class rankings.

9th out of 14 teams, but also Top 25 in the country. Bret has signed the 25th, 23rd, 29th, and 23rd classes here at Arkansas. One of those was following the John L. Smith year, and the next was following a 3-9 season.

You saw above what Mike is doing. We trended up to peak at a 2nd round NCAA team, now we fell all the way back below what we were when he started. The rise back next year should be quicker, but we all know any setbacks will be met with the typical excuses. It's NCAA, preferably at least one win, or bust for Mike next season. No more excuses.

With better recruiting and roster management, we don't take the dip like we saw last season. With the consistency we've seen from Bret in recruiting, we shouldn't see it there either. Although there may be some years where Bret could have a team that could Finish Top 3 in any other conference, but finish Bottom 3 in his own division. That's not something that will happen in SEC basketball. This conference is ripe for a program like Arkansas to step up and take control of the #2 spot behind Kentucky consistently, but we have failed to seize after getting there last year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J on February 04, 2016, 09:03:25 am
I know....funny how that works in regards to fball v. Bball
It's actually pretty easy to grasp.  We need about 20-25 players a year in football and many high schools in Arkansas do not even have a football team.  We need 3-4 basketball players a year and almost every single school has a basketball team. 

Once again, the two should not be compared, ever...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 04, 2016, 01:29:18 pm
It's actually pretty easy to grasp.  We need about 20-25 players a year in football and many high schools in Arkansas do not even have a football team.  We need 3-4 basketball players a year and almost every single school has a basketball team. 

Once again, the two should not be compared, ever...
Would you care to wager which sport of the two sees the most participation? More kids play football (regardless if every school has one) than those that play basketball....FACT!

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 01:40:20 pm
Would you care to wager which sport of the two sees the most participation? More kids play football (regardless if every school has one) than those that play basketball....FACT!

Three 5-stars and three 4-stars in basketball coming from this state since 2012, actually four 4-stars if you count Macon. You start 5 players in basketball, need about a solid 10 in Mike's system.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 02, 2016, 01:53:53 pm
I know there is a basketball Recruiting forum but there isn't near the traffic. I would just like for one of you recruiting guys to give me a updated list of potential targets for 2017 to go along with Gafford. Thanks in advance.

Had to go back and look at the OP. Man this discussion has gotten way off the original point.

All roads lead to Rome and all Jumpball threads lead to CMA bashing.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 02:11:34 pm
Three 5-stars and three 4-stars in basketball coming from this state since 2012, actually four 4-stars if you count Macon. You start 5 players in basketball, need about a solid 10 in Mike's system.
Again, yes, you are assuming we should bring in every player in the state. Yet, it doesn't work that way. Not in basketball and not in football. If CBB brought in every big time DLineman, RB, and any other position we wouldn't have the pressing needs we do in those areas.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 02:26:33 pm
Again, yes, you are assuming we should bring in every player in the state. Yet, it doesn't work that way. Not in basketball and not in football. If CBB brought in every big time DLineman, RB, and any other position we wouldn't have the pressing needs we do in those areas.

Compare this record to Mike Anderson's:
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR

While Bielema did lose a few here and there, he got a large percentage of his 4-star talent and brought in on average a Top 25 class. His biggest misses were Frazier, Tenpenny, and KJ Hill. We are fine depth wise at all of those positions and brought in 4-star caliber talent at those positions within those same classes.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 02:35:04 pm
Compare this record to Mike Anderson's:
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR
http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR

While Bielema did lose a few here and there, he got a large percentage of his 4-star talent and brought in on average a Top 25 class. His biggest misses were Frazier, Tenpenny, and KJ Hill. We are fine depth wise at all of those positions and brought in 4-star caliber talent at those positions within those same classes.
That puts him in the top 80.5% in recruiting. CMA ranks "on average"in the top 89% in basketball recruiting. There's no Gonzaga's or Daytons, or Butlers to have to fight recruits off with. Like it or not those types of programs passed us by 15 years ago.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 01:40:20 pm
Only because it takes more players, definitely not because they are higher quality.  I am sure you can provide some source that supports your FACT about Arkansas athletics.

Every time you try to compare these two sports, you should just sign your post, I am sorry I have failed again.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 04, 2016, 07:04:08 pm
Only because it takes more players, definitely not because they are higher quality.  I am sure you can provide some source that supports your FACT about Arkansas athletics.

Every time you try to compare these two sports, you should just sign your post, I am sorry I have failed again.
Trust me, very few high major college coaches come to Arkansas high schools to recruit basketball players year in and year out. So if you think basketball has the highest quality players of all sports in Arkansas (which even if you are comparing football it isn't much bc all sports in ark have very few top recruits) then you really are oblivious to life itself.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 11:03:55 pm
Trust me, very few high major college coaches come to Arkansas high schools to recruit basketball players year in and year out. So if you think basketball has the highest quality players of all sports in Arkansas (which even if you are comparing football it isn't much bc all sports in ark have very few top recruits) then you really are oblivious to life itself.
Arkansas does not have much talent period, but the point is that it takes much less to field a basketball team than it does a football team.  Is this your way of saying you do not really have anything to support your FACT?

It is obvious, due to your continued attempts to downplay football to boost MA up, that you are the oblivious one.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 06:04:01 am
Arkansas does not have much talent period, but the point is that it takes much less to field a basketball team than it does a football team.  Is this your way of saying you do not really have anything to support your FACT?

It is obvious, due to your continued attempts to downplay football to boost MA up, that you are the oblivious one.
Absolutely agree it takes more players to field a football team than a basketball team. However, the amount of top rated recruits outnumbers basketball by over 200 players. The amount of 5* and 4* players in basketball and football don't even compare. Add to that the fact that (as you also noted about high schools) there are 200 less basketball teams than football teams and you see that your D1A football teams have close to 10 5*/4* players perschool (IF they were all divided equally and I know they aren't but that's recruiting). So in theory being able to bring in 10 vs. 1, I'd say the numbers support the football programs being able to bring in a higher quantity and quality of high major talent and we all know that if you are coaching at Arkansas no matter the sport you are going to have to go outside the state to get it. In both football and basketball it hasn't been uncommon for our best talent to leave the state.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 07:53:48 am
Absolutely agree it takes more players to field a football team than a basketball team. However, the amount of top rated recruits outnumbers basketball by over 200 players. The amount of 5* and 4* players in basketball and football don't even compare. Add to that the fact that (as you also noted about high schools) there are 200 less basketball teams than football teams and you see that your D1A football teams have close to 10 5*/4* players perschool (IF they were all divided equally and I know they aren't but that's recruiting). So in theory being able to bring in 10 vs. 1, I'd say the numbers support the football programs being able to bring in a higher quantity and quality of high major talent and we all know that if you are coaching at Arkansas no matter the sport you are going to have to go outside the state to get it. In both football and basketball it hasn't been uncommon for our best talent to leave the state.
Are we still talking about the amount of talent in Arkansas high schools?

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 09:00:02 am

He is talking about whatever he thinks makes it look like Mike has the hardest coaching job in the known universe and that at 11-11 is actually doing far better than any other coach in said universe would be doing here.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 09:00:02 am
Let's talk Arkansas High Schools.......

Football
1-5*
2-4*
20-3*
16-2*

Basketball
1-5*
1-4*
2-3*
1-2*

5 players evaluated 2* or higher vs. 40 evaluated 2* or higher. Yep, all those high school basketball teams in Arkansas sure are producing........ In this class alone you could field Offense and defense with subs. For basketball you can't even fill all your scholarships much less put a starting 5 out there with no one to give them a blow.

The_Iceman

Those are all the names I can think of that played D-1 basketball since the 2011 in-state class. I may be missing some.

Bobby Portis
Dusty Hannahs
Anton Beard
Trey Thompson
Kevaughn Allen
Justin Leon
Marquise Pointer
Kahron Ross
IJ Ready
Aaron Ross
Hunter Michelson
Rashad Madden
Dayshawn Watkins
Nick Smith
David Rivers

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 02:45:19 pm
Those are all the names I can think of that played D-1 basketball since the 2011 in-state class. I may be missing some.

Bobby Portis
Dusty Hannahs
Anton Beard
Trey Thompson
Kevaughn Allen
Justin Leon
Marquise Pointer
Kahron Ross
IJ Ready
Aaron Ross
Hunter Michelson
Rashad Madden
Dayshawn Watkins
Nick Smith
David Rivers

What about Kiko and Manny?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 02:45:19 pm

Bobby Portis
Dusty Hannahs
Anton Beard
Trey Thompson
Kevaughn Allen
Justin Leon
Marquise Pointer
Kahron Ross
IJ Ready
Aaron Ross
Hunter Michelson
Rashad Madden
Dayshawn Watkins
Nick Smith
David Rivers
And if you do that for football the list is much much much bigger, and you have less D1 football teams. So while the state produces low amounts of top football and basketball talent, it still produces more football talent and more than enough to factor in how many it takes to play the sport.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 03:12:06 pm
And if you do that for football the list is much much much bigger, and you have less D1 football teams. So while the state produces low amounts of top football and basketball talent, it still produces more football talent and more than enough to factor in how many it takes to play the sport.

In Saturday's game against Florida, there was 47 total points scored by players from Arkansas. In fact, you could have put on the floor a lineup of:

G-Anton Beard
G-Dusty Hannahs
G-Kevaughn Allen
F-Justin Leon
C-Trey Thompson
6-Manny Watkins

That's just from this game alone. Next year, four players will be leaving this state going to Kentucky, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, and Mizzou. Daryl Macon, an Arkansas native, will be joining the Hogs from JUCO. I'm just not buying that this state doesn't produce enough basketball talent when between the 2012-2016 classes, we've had three McDonald's All-American 5-star players along with three other 4-stars (Beard, Allen, Curry), with two 4-star JUCOs (Macon, Leon).

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 03:34:28 pm
In Saturday's game against Florida, there was 47 total points scored by players from Arkansas. In fact, you could have put on the floor a lineup of:

G-Anton Beard
G-Dusty Hannahs
G-Kevaughn Allen
F-Justin Leon
C-Trey Thompson
6-Manny Watkins

That's just from this game alone. Next year, four players will be leaving this state going to Kentucky, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, and Mizzou. Daryl Macon, an Arkansas native, will be joining the Hogs from JUCO. I'm just not buying that this state doesn't produce enough basketball talent when between the 2012-2016 classes, we've had three McDonald's All-American 5-star players along with three other 4-stars (Beard, Allen, Curry), with two 4-star JUCOs (Macon, Leon).

It does not produce enough talent to miss on the top players and hope to make up for that with whats left.  In that regard it is the same as football. The difference is basketball is built much more around the stars and less around depth, an football team must have depth, and can build that with solid recruits who may not be stars but provide quality minutes.

Now, of course, in this climate, we have a basketball coach that MUST HAVE 10 guys that can give him 8+ minutes per game, and that is a huge problem when you run into roster issues. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2016, 03:41:33 pm
It does not produce enough talent to miss on the top players and hope to make up for that with whats left.  In that regard it is the same as football. The difference is basketball is built much more around the stars and less around depth, an football team must have depth, and can build that with solid recruits who may not be stars but provide quality minutes.

Now, of course, in this climate, we have a basketball coach that MUST HAVE 10 guys that can give him 8+ minutes per game, and that is a huge problem when you run into roster issues. 

Notice the difference between us, an 11-11 team coached by 5th year coach Mike Anderson, and Oklahoma, a 19-2 #1 in the country team coach by 5th year coach Lon Kruger:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/201/sort/avgMinutes/oklahoma-sooners
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/8/sort/avgMinutes/arkansas-razorbacks

Both are similar programs with similar geographic recruiting situations. Would Kruger be doing better with our roster if he redistributed minutes similar to the way he does at Oklahoma?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 03:53:09 pm
Notice the difference between us, an 11-11 team coached by 5th year coach Mike Anderson, and Oklahoma, a 19-2 #1 in the country team coach by 5th year coach Lon Kruger:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/201/sort/avgMinutes/oklahoma-sooners
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/8/sort/avgMinutes/arkansas-razorbacks

Both are similar programs with similar geographic recruiting situations. Would Kruger be doing better with our roster if he redistributed minutes similar to the way he does at Oklahoma?
I wish you'd go to a Sooner board and go slob on Kruger over there. Some of you want to bring him up over and over but the guy wasn't interested back then, and wouldn't be interested now or in the future of being a Razorback. We don't give our coaches the flexibility to bend the rules as Kruger has shown he would do in the past. I say this bc I work with a guy who played at UNLV and was recruited by Kruger. Good luck getting him to do what he is doing at OU and did at UNLV here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 04:11:26 pm
I wish you'd go to a Sooner board and go slob on Kruger over there. Some of you want to bring him up over and over but the guy wasn't interested back then, and wouldn't be interested now or in the future of being a Razorback. We don't give our coaches the flexibility to bend the rules as Kruger has shown he would do in the past. I say this bc I work with a guy who played at UNLV and was recruited by Kruger. Good luck getting him to do what he is doing at OU and did at UNLV here.

But, if Mike Anderson decided that due to the offseason troubles and his limited roster, he was going to adjust his playing style to fit his personnel, a playing style that the #1 team in the country is using, do you think he would be able to get more out of this roster than he currently is? Would putting Hannah, Bell, and Kingsley on the floor on average 5 minutes more per game, like Kruger does with his top players, have us at a better record than 11-11?

Recruiting rankings wise, he doesn't have a more talented roster than us, but why is he getting so much more out of them? Could it be because this season we are taking our best players off the floor on average 5 minutes a game more than him?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 04:31:10 pm
But, if Mike Anderson decided that due to the offseason troubles and his limited roster, he was going to adjust his playing style to fit his personnel, a playing style that the #1 team in the country is using, do you think he would be able to get more out of this roster than he currently is? Would putting Hannah, Bell, and Kingsley on the floor on average 5 minutes more per game, like Kruger does with his top players, have us at a better record than 11-11?

Recruiting rankings wise, he doesn't have a more talented roster than us, but why is he getting so much more out of them? Could it be because this season we are taking our best players off the floor on average 5 minutes a game more than him?
It helps to have arguably the best player in college basketball, for one. Two, I don't see a single player on this team that deserves to play 30 plus minutes. Sure we could slow things down and maybe get a couple more minutes out of them. But Kingsley doesn't play well in the half court defensively neither can Hannahs and Bell. I understand the argument about our lack of talent and depth, but believing that this team could be the #1 team in the country if only we had a more limited rotation may be the funniest thing I've read all day.