Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson most underappreciated job as coach

Started by jdunhog, January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 07:34:14 am
Carroll, Pressey and Portis recently.  Was an assistant for Joe, Corliss, Pargo.
If you are going to include those last three then you have to consider that these 6 names are over a 34 year period.  That is NOT a selling point
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HoopS

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 09:42:18 am
If you are going to include those last three then you have to consider that these 6 names are over a 34 year period.  That is NOT a selling point
that is a good question. And for the ones who were posting here about attendance, were they posting from BWA or their LazyBoy?

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 28, 2016, 09:37:55 am
The fans have been there for 30 years and running. That's the last time SHaggie got a win in Arkansas.

As far as the SHaggies #5 ranking, we know they are frauds dating back to our SWC dealings so it was our duty to expose them as such, and we did. Mission accomplished.

Never acknowledge a SHaggie. Great job fans.

Yes, if it's a diss on the Aggies to not over-celebrate then that is the moral thing to do.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2016, 09:26:45 am
People still believe this?

The only "systems" ran in college basketball that consistently get players to the NBA are the recruiting systems ran by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and other powerhouse schools.

Recruit NBA players and you will send players to the NBA. Already proven here at Arkansas, and even with Mike in charge. Done deal. History. Toast.
Its true...Street ball is fun to watch, and with good recruiting can be successful, not such a great selling point for recruits that want to play in the NBA.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MountieDawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 28, 2016, 09:31:57 am
Nothing you can do sometimes on what you have coming back because of early exits for the Pros but there is a lot you can do with those you bring in.  Kentucky, Duke and many other schools face early exits all the time but are ready.  That is my problem here.  CMA is a good person.  He is a good coach.  He is an decent recruiter.  He is good at a lot of areas but not really great at nothing. 

Now the issue is where can a good coach/recruiter  take our program.    IMO from looking at his past jobs he will win the SEC and take us to a elite 8 once every 5 to 10 years.   Is that enough to keep the fan base happy?     We will see.

In 14 years of coaching he has made one Elite 8 and another Sweet 16....  So if you want to project out using past numbers, you can expect a Sweet 16 in the next 8 years...  Reason enough to double his contract and get a 10 year extension...   :( Sarcasm
SEC!

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 09:42:18 am
Because this program has sent sooooo many players to the NBA.  Are you serious?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 09:44:34 am
Its true...Street ball is fun to watch, and with good recruiting can be successful, not such a great selling point for recruits that want to play in the NBA.

Who plays street ball anymore? Northwestern State? Prairie View A&M? Not familiar with anyone other than teams on that level.

Arkansas was one of the most efficient scoring teams in college hoop last year, and somehow it retained that level of efficiency this season despite massive personnel losses and a more difficult schedule. Imagine that.
[CENSORED]!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 09:41:54 am
Did you storm the court last night?

Pretty sure he was watching on TV with this guy.

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 27, 2016, 08:44:22 am
I want them to win tonight but I give them 30% chance.  Lots of things have to go our way to win.  We have to shoot close to 50% from behind the arc, win the rebounding and TO stats and not let their shooters get into a rhythm.   

But as far as fans go,  I will be watching tonight on my TV and the one thing I will look for is how many fans will be there.  Lets see how many of those true Arkansas Fans show up for the remaining home games.    I think most have given up for the year but maybe I am wrong. 

Maybe we will have 15,000+ smiling, screaming and faithful fans up there tonight.  Will you be there?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 09:47:36 am
Who plays street ball anymore? Northwestern State? Prairie View A&M? Not familiar with anyone other than teams on that level.

Arkansas was one of the most efficient scoring teams in college hoop last year, and somehow it retained that level of efficiency this season despite massive personnel losses and a more difficult schedule. Imagine that.
That's a Nolan comment. I remember growing up and hearing people talk about how all we played was street ball. Just ran the ball up and down the floor and didn't really "play" basketball. However, other coaches in this profession run similar read and react offenses and they are considered great offensive coaches. But with CMA it's "street ball".

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 09:30:52 am
I certainly did not expect Arkansas to be as competitive as it has this season.

Did not expect Anthlon Bell to be making 47% of his threes and average 3 treys per game. Did not expect Bell to add a halfway respectable short-range game. Did not expect him to become one of the best ballhandlers in college basketball. Did not expect Bell to up his rebounding game.

It surprised me - after watching Moses Kingsley flop around last season - that he would become a serious inside force, with a bigtime inside scoring, rebounding, and shotblocking game. The guy made enormous strides. Signs of really effective coaching and development.

Never expected Jabril Durham to become one of the best passers in college hoop, while also becoming one of the best defensive guards.

And Dusty Hannahs has been a surprise with his all-around effective offensive game and good ballhandling. Hannahs shot 37% from 3-pt range, about 40% inside the arc at Texas Tech, playing a subordinate role. With much more defensive attention, Hannahs has sharply increased his shooting accuracy while maintaining low turnovers.

If the Hogs could get somebody else (Whitt, Beard, Watkins, Thompson) to make similar progress, this team would win more of these close games. This roster was never intended to be this incomplete, and it took a lot to go wrong for it to get that way.

Nothing that has happened -- losing six nonconference games, losing to LSU-UK-UGa -- diminishes the likelihood that Arkansas will be very good next season. And the development of certain players directly rebuts many of the incessant criticisms people have ranted about MA on this board over the years.

I've seen it ever since Nolan's first season. Some fans -- who are attached to a certain conventional style -- can't stand how this system works.

This system allows certain things to happen that are must-stop, primary points of emphasis for conventional basketball. This system is trying to accomplish certain things, one of those to intentionally get opponents to take shots from spots and at times they're not used to. Contrary to the normal, practiced flow of their offense.

People try to coach the team about crap like blocking out and stopping the dribbler, not knowing what the system is supposed to be doing. Sometimes it's true that some player isn't doing what he's supposed to be, but not because he forgot his blocking-out technique or man stance or other darn that fan-coaches think they know.

With the right players, this system will work great again. And it's right to wonder whether MA can get and keep his team manned with the right players.

MA is not going to completely change things up for a one-season optimization of style with roster. He has an eye on next year and the year after. Even though this team's playing a style that begs for more depth - the style + the progress of the best players is what's getting the Razorbacks into so many close games against good opponents.

Mike Anderson might never be a top 20 recruiter, but he's a very competent basketball coach. If you can't see that, you're looking at it the wrong way.

Hell of a post my man. Thought this team is still average at best I thought we would be a lot worse. I honestly didn't know where the offense would come from and I felt Durham was a wasted scholarship last year.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 09:50:37 am
That's a Nolan comment. I remember growing up and hearing people talk about how all we played was street ball. Just ran the ball up and down the floor and didn't really "play" basketball. However, other coaches in this profession run similar read and react offenses and they are considered great offensive coaches. But with CMA it's "street ball".

Racism is still around, imagine that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 09:46:08 am
Because this program has sent sooooo many players to the NBA.  Are you serious?
I agree and that was kinda my point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 09:47:36 am

Arkansas...  I believe you said that at times over the last couple of years and eventually you will get pissed at losses and you will point it out again.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 28, 2016, 09:54:10 am

Nice one, pull out the race card whenever it suits the argument :-\

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 09:57:11 am
I agree and that was kinda my point.
I was being sarcastic!  The truth is, in it's history, the AR hoops program hasn't produced many NBA players period.  Why is Anderson at fault? 

Pork Twain

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 28, 2016, 09:54:10 am
Big assumption there, but I do love a good ole race card being thrown out there to defend poor coaching. 

I am not comparing MA to Nolan and Nolan ran a very smart and effective system and could recruit his butt off when he wanted to.  Mike is no Nolan and one day people will wake up and see that.  All the reasons I was nervous about MA being hired, are looking more realistic today than ever before.

Street ball was a simpletons way to attack Nolan's style.  I am not impressed with MA's style.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 10:00:25 am
I was being sarcastic!  The truth is, in it's history, the AR hoops program hasn't produced many NBA players period.  Why is Anderson at fault?

Melanin?  ;)

IT WAS A JOKE PEOPLE! Sad to have to include a disclaimer before the first over the top race card comment.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 10:00:25 am
It is not, but people are trying to give him credit for guys getting into the NBA after I said this style of play was not a selling point to getting into the NBA.  It isn't...

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:59:58 am
Nice one, pull out the race card whenever it suits the argument :-\

You know, I'm a white guy who grew up in Arkansas too.  Maybe if folks would stop being sensitive about being tagged as having racist double standards and actually examined their beliefs we could more forward with the conversation of race in this country.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 28, 2016, 10:03:53 am
You know, I'm a white guy who grew up in Arkansas too.  Maybe if folks would stop being sensitive about being tagged as having racist double standards and actually examined their beliefs we could more forward with the conversation of race in this country.
Yes and the president of the United States for the last 7 years is a black guy. I think we are past this now IMO. Maybe not in Arkansas but nationally. it's not as bad as some think  ;)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 09:59:13 am
Arkansas...  I believe you said that at times over the last couple of years and eventually you will get pissed at losses and you will point it out again.

The only thing I get pissed about is when the defense falls apart. I've never-ever-ever used the "street ball" canard. Ever. Ever.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 10:07:57 am
Yes and the president of the United States for the last 7 years is a black guy. I think we are past this now IMO. Maybe not in Arkansas but nationally. it's not as bad as some think  ;)

That's not helping your argument. LOL.
[CENSORED]!

wheelspigharvey

;) I know this isn't the forum for this so I'll stop here but thanks for proving my point.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:02:54 am
Big assumption there, but I do love a good ole race card being thrown out there to defend poor coaching. 

I am not comparing MA to Nolan and Nolan ran a very smart and effective system and could recruit his butt off when he wanted to.  Mike is no Nolan and one day people will wake up and see that.  All the reasons I was nervous about MA being hired, are looking more realistic today than ever before.

Street ball was a simpletons way to attack Nolan's style.  I am not impressed with MA's style.
I am not saying you are comparing Mike to Nolan, I'm saying that the same comment about "street ball" was said back when Nolan was here. I grew up hearing from folks about how we just play "street ball" and I would always sit and wonder if they even knew what "street ball" was. I mean I was living in a small farm town in Arkansas did they even play "street ball" to know what it was?

HoopS

I've played street ball before. Ones who call this street ball don't know what they're talking about.  Period.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 10:13:53 am
I am not saying you are comparing Mike to Nolan, I'm saying that the same comment about "street ball" was said back when Nolan was here. I grew up hearing from folks about how we just play "street ball" and I would always sit and wonder if they even knew what "street ball" was. I mean I was living in a small farm town in Arkansas did they even play "street ball" to know what it was?

Hogs play street ball, rappers aren't musicians, etc.

azhog10

Quote from: HoopS on January 28, 2016, 10:14:55 am
I've played street ball before. Ones who call this street ball don't know what they're talking about.  Period.
I agree. Which is why i always laugh out of frustration when I see it.

TomBigBeeHog

The truth will out. (William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, 1596.)   Even unintentionally.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on January 28, 2016, 10:14:55 am

Same people probably say Golden State plays "street ball".

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:05:13 am
It is not, but people are trying to give him credit for guys getting into the NBA after I said this style of play was not a selling point to getting into the NBA.  It isn't...
No coach's "style" is responsible for getting a kid to the NBA!  His actual coaching may play a part in it tho.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 28, 2016, 09:07:22 am
. We lost 2 superstars to the draft surprisingly, .

We are doing way better than I thought we would this season, but if our coach was SURPRISED by Portis and Qualls leaving, that's on him. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

jchill

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 27, 2016, 10:11:48 pm
Double edged sword. He's responsible for the 13 pts coming back, but he is getting a lot out of this team. The performance of the team is an example of very good on court coaching.
[/quot
Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 27, 2016, 10:11:48 pm
Double edged sword. He's responsible for the 13 pts coming back, but he is getting a lot out of this team. The performance of the team is an example of very good on court coaching.

Portis took advantage of a once in a life opportunity, Qualls followed suit, Babbs transferred, Kapita did not qualify, and Williams went crazy.Can't really blame Anderson for all of that.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 10:18:34 am
Those that say that are misinformed as well. Golden State isn't just a byproduct of Steph. While Steph is amazing, the system they run aligns some with what the Spurs do except GS has youth, talent, and depth.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 10:18:34 am
I would surmise those people also post on jump ball.  The Warriors play the very definition of team ball on both ends of the court. 

Pork Twain

What we are seeing from MA is street ball.  I've played it to and this is it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 28, 2016, 09:07:22 am
Was this during the one and done era. I don't think people understand how much that effects recruiting. Last year Kentucky brought in a class of 7 guys, being that they are the Alabama of Football most of those guys if not all were top 50. The one and done makes impossible for talent to be spread out the way it used to be. I hate that people feel like MA hasn't recruited well because I feel he has done a decent job for his system. Other than Portis we haven't had any elite recruits, but I think his system is based on development. Guys like Qualls, Durham, Bell, and even Madden (who improved dramatically his last 2 years at Ark) show his method works. This off season was just terrible bad luck. We lost 2 superstars to the draft surprisingly, We lost Williams to suspension (who would've been a big help with his high post passing and mid range shot), Babb to transfer (a lengthy guard who could play the 3 and shoot), and Kapita( who's country didn't get his transcript over in time). I'm not sure if we can say he can't recruit, now if the question is can he recruit like Coach K or Coach Cal the answer is of course not.
So many excuses for one bad coach

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:24:56 am

So did you guys trap out of a zone d or run a motion offense?

Breems

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 10:24:08 am
I would surmise those people also post on jump ball.  The Warriors play the very definition of team ball on both ends of the court. 

Threads like these are great for seeing who knows basketball.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:24:56 am

what in the world are you talking about?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 28, 2016, 10:28:52 am
So did you guys trap out of a zone d or run a motion offense?
Yes and we looked lost on how to execute or stop a pick but most of the time looked like we are just seeing how fast we could get up and down the court.

Pretty impressive

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:40:18 am
Yes and we looked lost on how to execute or stop a pick.
Actually ball screens are the least of our worries. If there's one thing that really doesn't give this defense trouble it's ball screens. We switch almost every ball screen. Our biggest issue defensively is when we get over extended and beat off the dribble we aren't ready to help. We did better with that last night and picked up a number of charges. I'll stop with the back and forth as it's clear you don't know what you are talking about.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 10:43:39 am
Actually ball screens are the least of our worries. If there's one thing that really doesn't give this defense trouble it's ball screens. We switch almost every ball screen. Our biggest issue defensively is when we get over extended and beat off the dribble we aren't ready to help. We did better with that last night and picked up a number of charges. I'll stop with the back and forth as it's clear you don't know what you are talking about.

That philosophy of switching every screen will be more effective next season with better 4's on the court.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 10:44:48 am
That philosophy of switching every screen will be more effective next season with better 4's on the court.
I agree. We have done an okay job this year but still get in some bad spots at times with it. When we have more bodies, and some taller guards like Barford, and another 4 like Cook it will help. But CMA has always switched screens and I think that has more to do with the small amount of scouting we do and the more time they put on what we do. Just a guess.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 10:43:39 am
One interesting and highly effective tactic to use on a message board is to pick a focal point for your dislike and stick with it by attacking lower points.  Then stick with that sub-point as others attempt to prove you wrong, they often end up proving the main point was really correct.

Me: I hate Dodge trucks

You: Dodge trucks are great

Me: I hate the transmissions.

You: Transmission are not the real problem, it is the engine, brakes and electrical system.

Me: So you are saying there are issues with Dodge trucks...

HoopS

What do you guys think we get out of Dustin Thomas?

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:50:40 am
One interesting and highly effective tactic to use on a message board is to pick a focal point for your dislike and stick with it by attacking lower points.  Then stick with that sub-point as others attempt to prove you wrong, they often end up proving the main point was really correct.

Me: I hate Dodge trucks

You: Dodge trucks are great

Me: I hate the transmissions.

You: Transmission are not the real problem, it is the engine, brakes and electrical system.

Me: So you are saying there are issues with Dodge trucks...
Or I can take your approach and just say Dodge isn't a real truck......

Me: Why?

You: Cuz I said so. I've seen them, they aren't trucks.

Me: Well it looks like a truck and drives like a truck.

You: Well it goes to fast for a truck so it can't be a truck......

Yep very enlightening.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 10:40:18 am
Yes and we looked lost on how to execute or stop a pick but most of the time looked like we are just seeing how fast we could get up and down the court.

Pretty impressive

Back to the old slur from the past, CNR and now CMA, don't coach basketball because you don't see a plan in what the coaches are doing, which could be a lack of knowledge of basketball strategies on your part.

Your street ball comments imply a lack of direction.  As if CNR and CMA just roll the balls out for practice and see what happens. Is that what you are saying?

Pork Twain

As I have stated several times, I am not talking about NR, because MA is NO NR.  NR had a plan, recruited to it and executed it very well.

MA is no NR.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 11:05:44 am
As I have stated several times, I am not talking about NR, because MA is NO NR.  NR had a plan, recruited to it and executed it very well.

MA is no NR.
So your issue is with recruiting to a plan? I can buy the recruiting argument based off this year's lack of depth that was brought in. But the system and style of basketball is no different than CNR. The difference is the type of talent brought in and that I would agree. But saying "street ball" has nothing to do with the recruits. It's the style of play. The same style of play as CNR, so now I'm really confused if you are saying you enjoyed CNR's style but hate CMAs.......

jared72404

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:17:21 am
It's pretty sad that our students and fans are so arrogant about 22 years ago that they won't storm the court after beating the no 5 team in the nation.

We are not the program to not celebrate that win in a glorious way. When I saw the court not yet to h stormed I couldn't believe it.

Fans acting like they've been there before when realistically they haven't.

Nonetheless, after Wofford in the tournament and Kentucky in Rupp Arena; this is Michael Anderson's third best win as Arkansas coach. I have to admit I'm shocked by the arrogance of the fans in BWA. The court should have been stormed but our fans think they too good for that.  >:( >:( >:(

This can't be serious.