Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson most underappreciated job as coach

Started by jdunhog, January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 02:08:34 pm
Just about every SEC team Bret Bielema faces is ranked or has been ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the season. Are you serious going to compare the difficulty of SEC basketball to SEC football, especially the SEC west?

We went 2-2 non con.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 02:08:34 pm
Just about every SEC team Bret Bielema faces is ranked or has been ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the season. Are you serious going to compare the difficulty of SEC basketball to SEC football, especially the SEC west?
Yep, bc we blew through Toledo and TTU right? THe SEC is our only hurdle to climb...... P.S 4 teams on our schedule finished in the top 25....pre-season and early season rankings don't mean a whole lot.

MikePiazza

Bo Mattingly @SportsTalkwBo

Parrish: I think Arkansas is overachieving this year, even at 11-11.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 01:18:13 pm
allen is averaging almost twice as many points per game as Whitt, current contribution does not show that to have been anywhere near an equal trade
he will develop into one heckuva player. You asked about going into other states and landing their top guy. That's exactly what he did. It takes time to develop.

I love Jimmy Whitt. He's gonna be just fine.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 10:29:48 am
You mean like BB going into Texas and landing their top rated HS RB? If Mike had gone into another state and landed their version of K Allen, that would have been much different than missing on Allen and signing..........well heck who did he sign to take that offer spot

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 01:18:13 pm
allen is averaging almost twice as many points per game as Whitt, current contribution does not show that to have been anywhere near an equal trade

So after getting completely owned, your stance changed to "Show me which state's top player was signed by MA.........................aaaaaaand played well their freshman year."  That is weak as hell, and here I thought cityhog would be hands down the worst poster in the thread.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 03, 2016, 04:29:18 pm
When is the last time that Duke, UNC, Indiana, Michigan State, UCLA or Kentucky students have stormed the court? If you have a major program that wins championships, you don't storm the court. You expect to win big games.

Well I didn't tell him to pay the fine because I approved of the act

TC3hogs

The post by captain Morgan complaining about not storming the court is possibly the most ignorant thing I've seen on here. There have been lots of stupid comments, but this one is at the top of the list. You don't rush the court because there is a thing called having class. Not only that, but it is also a safety hazard, results in getting fined, and puts a bad label on our fan base. Basketball has been down a few years, but we have a national championship along with other accomplishments. Act like you've been there before, which we have. Hopefully it's a matter of time before we get back, but I like that they didn't storm the court. It shows a sense of pride and expectation with our fan base.

hogsanity

Quote from: TC3hogs on February 05, 2016, 01:40:41 am
The post by captain Morgan complaining about not storming the court is possibly the most ignorant thing I've seen on here. There have been lots of stupid comments, but this one is at the top of the list. You don't rush the court because there is a thing called having class. Not only that, but it is also a safety hazard, results in getting fined, and puts a bad label on our fan base. Basketball has been down a few years, but we have a national championship along with other accomplishments. Act like you've been there before, which we have. Hopefully it's a matter of time before we get back, but I like that they didn't storm the court. It shows a sense of pride and expectation with our fan base.

Only exceeded in ignorance by those who did not see that post was 100% sarcasm.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 01:43:53 pm
Well at least it didn't take him two seasons to get his first SEC win........

I also notice how you went from talking about being unable to recruit and sign out of state kids, to well he hasn't done anything and we are 11-11. BUT in a different forum love that our football coach is finishing middle of the SEC West and took two seasons to win his first SEC game.
The fail is so strong in you when you do this.  You are better than this.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MikePiazza

Wonder if UCLA fans think Steve Alford is on the hot seat? 13-10 (4-6) and 10th in the Pac-12 after a Sweet 16 appearance last season, even after a lot of pundits said it was absurd that they even got in.

Bruins went 19-12 (11-7) in an average Pac-12 last season, went 1-1 in the league tourney and got in as an 11 seed (no play-in) at 20-13.

It's highly unlikely that this Hog team will only lose two more times before Selection Sunday, but let's say they followed that script. Does a 20-13 Hog team deserve a bid?

hogsanity

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 05, 2016, 10:12:21 am
Wonder if UCLA fans think Steve Alford is on the hot seat? 13-10 (4-6) and 10th in the Pac-12 after a Sweet 16 appearance last season, even after a lot of pundits said it was absurd that they even got in.

Bruins went 19-12 (11-7) in an average Pac-12 last season, went 1-1 in the league tourney and got in as an 11 seed (no play-in) at 20-13.

It's highly unlikely that this Hog team will only lose two more times before Selection Sunday, but let's say they followed that script. Does a 20-13 Hog team deserve a bid?

Let's see, Alford is in the middle of year 3, and in his 1st 2 seasons they went to the sweet 16. HE has been to the ncaat 5 of his last 6 season as a HC, going back to New Mexico. In 20 completed seasons as a D1 HC he has made either the NIT or the NCAA in 16 of those seasons. So, no, I doubt he is on the hot seat.

When trying to make comparisons to Mike thought, you need to find coaches in similar situations, been at their current school for 41/2 seasons.

As for the question of a 20-13 hog team, it is doubtful that gets them in, but they would be hot at the right time. I would say a lot would depend on upsets in the small conf tournaments where they might sneak in a 2nd team, how the sec finishes down the stretch, and what the bubble teams in other p5 leagues do in their conf tournaments.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 05, 2016, 10:12:21 am

2013–14    UCLA    28–9            NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15    UCLA    22–14    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015–16    UCLA    13–9       

Back to Back Sweet 16's. The tournament is where it matters in college basketball. So the answer is: NO.

This will also get you one more season after having a down year following two Sweet 16's:
http://ucla.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Commits

Pork Twain

Why are the MA comparisons always SOOOO far out there?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 11:18:58 am
Why are the MA comparisons always SOOOO far out there?

You'd think they'd pick a coach in their 5th year like Lon Kruger or Mark Turgeon.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jdunhog on January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm
just quoted by Bradshaw on SEC now. Stated to have only 13 points coming back and have them as competitive as he has. Great job Coach Anderson!!

This was the OP. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement by Bradshaw. Great job by CMA!
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 11:24:59 am
You'd think they'd pick a coach in their 5th year like Lon Kruger or Mark Turgeon.
Or at least a coach with a similar track record.

HoopS

The interesting thing with Alford is the trajectory.

Pork Twain

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 05, 2016, 11:30:48 am
This was the OP. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement by Bradshaw. Great job by CMA!
Except that number is incorrect and MA is responsible for filling the roster as the coach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on February 05, 2016, 11:40:46 am
The interesting thing with Alford is the trajectory.

Year 1: Sweet 16
Year 2: Sweet 16
Year 3: Probably NIT
Year 4: Lose one senior and bring in a Top 5 recruiting class.

wheelspigharvey

What matters is that the big money boosters feel they get the bang for their buck.  Bud Walton wasn't built for Nolan, it was built for Bud Walton and those other donors.

The last qualified coach we hired (and I say that as someone who doesn't dislike Pel or really blame him for not getting it done, I just think he was in over his head) bolted in 24 hours.  They also know that if we got rid of Mike or even warmed his seat and made it uncomfortable, not only would he be hard to replace but he would end up at another school and have them rocking fast.

If they feel that Mike is getting it done, that's the course we're staying.  No [CENSORED] "Sycophant Army" has any more control over it than the guys who "never liked the hire to begin with." (Because by the way, I love how it is more rational to have never liked him and to never have anything nice to say than it is to have always liked him and look for the positives when the program is in better shape than eve.)

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 11:49:29 am

I know I would be pissed if he was our coach.

/sarcasm

HoopS

February 05, 2016, 12:06:11 pm #271 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:16:51 pm by HoopS
Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 11:49:29 am
wins

13+

I do like him and think he'll get it done long term. He's in a hotbed too. Just noting the current trajectory.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on February 05, 2016, 12:06:11 pm
wins

13+

I do like him and think he'll get it done long term. He's in a hotbed too. Just noting the current trajectory.

The post season is the measuring stick in college basketball. If you sneak into the tournament and make the Sweet 16, all fans and recruits will care about is the Sweet 16. As much as I love 27 wins, my measuring stick of last year was a 2nd round NCAA team. We have only reached that mark once since 2000, and our last Sweet 16 was 1996, so all-in-all it was successful for us.

HoopS

We are talking Alford. Clearly he got it done. With somebody else's guys. His measuring stick will be with his guys.

I suspect he does well. Just noting the trajectory. For the third time.

GuvHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 05, 2016, 11:51:09 am
What matters is that the big money boosters feel they get the bang for their buck.  Bud Walton wasn't built for Nolan, it was built for Bud Walton and those other donors.

The last qualified coach we hired (and I say that as someone who doesn't dislike Pel or really blame him for not getting it done, I just think he was in over his head) bolted in 24 hours.  They also know that if we got rid of Mike or even warmed his seat and made it uncomfortable, not only would he be hard to replace but he would end up at another school and have them rocking fast.

If they feel that Mike is getting it done, that's the course we're staying.  No [CENSORED] "Sycophant Army" has any more control over it than the guys who "never liked the hire to begin with." (Because by the way, I love how it is more rational to have never liked him and to never have anything nice to say than it is to have always liked him and look for the positives when the program is in better shape than eve.)

I wasn't a Pel fan myself but he had around 18 wins (I forget the exact number) and a top 10 class coming in when he was fired. Who knows what would have happened had he gotten to coach that top 10 class with the player that transferred to Butler staying for his Senior season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on February 05, 2016, 12:26:53 pm
We are talking Alford. Clearly he got it done. With somebody else's guys. His measuring stick will be with his guys.

I suspect he does well. Just noting the trajectory. For the third time.

Returning all but one player and adding a Top 5 class that consists of the #7 and #16 players in the country (Top 3 players in the state of CA), I would say the trajectory is heading is a good direction.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on February 05, 2016, 12:39:25 pm
I wasn't a Pel fan myself but he had around 18 wins (I forget the exact number) and a top 10 class coming in when he was fired. Who knows what would have happened had he gotten to coach that top 10 class with the player that transferred to Butler staying for his Senior season.

My biggest fear with Pel coaching that group would be his ability to control them off the court. Mike did a good job with that for the most part. That roster for Pel would have looked like this:

BJ Young / Nobles
Clarke / Madden
Wade / Scott
Powell / Bryant / Waithe
Sanchez / Abron / Mickelson

If he could control them, that team had the talent to make a good run. However, we know Powell tore his ACL 2 games in, which was a bad break for Anderson as he looked amazing. Who knows what that season could have been with him.

HoopS

Predicted trajectory. Current is that the win total is decreasing and likely to miss the tournament in his third season.

azhog10

Quote from: HoopS on February 05, 2016, 01:19:57 pm
Predicted trajectory. Current is that the win total is decreasing and likely to miss the tournament in his third season.
Yes but as we've seen with some, they can predict the future. They just decided not to pick the winning lottery a few weeks back though.

Atlhogfan1

Why?  I've seen this sentiment lately.  It was the prevailing thought for the 9 seasons before he was hired here for what he would do at Arkansas yet hasn't.  I don't disagree if he were to get a mid major job as the academic requirements are different and his style is great for undersized tweener teams including versatile fwd types.  I think high major would depend on conference including academics especially related to juco's and the inherited situation. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TeedupHigh

A question, when the HOGS practice do they ever practice against what other teams run on offense? Or is all they do is go against what they (HOGS) do on offense?  Watching us play, if the other team has a quick point guard our "press" is beat when that PG gets the ball, many times they get something easy after that.  If we don't get turnovers we most times lose.

TeedupHigh

Why do you think he would have another team "ROCKING FAST" when he has not had the HOGS rocking fast yet?  What would be the difference?

azhog10

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 05, 2016, 01:48:45 pm
A question, when the HOGS practice do they ever practice against what other teams run on offense? Or is all they do is go against what they (HOGS) do on offense?  Watching us play, if the other team has a quick point guard our "press" is beat when that PG gets the ball, many times they get something easy after that.  If we don't get turnovers we most times lose.
The way our press is ran, it's sole intent is to get players to play faster than they are used to, and at times get the ball in someones hands going faster than they really should. I coach high school basketball and we will run the same press (it's not a 1-2-1-1 press more like a full court man with a switch/trap) to try and get a kid that has no business bringing the ball up to bring it up and force him to make decisions he's not used to making. At times it works, but not at a high percentage but you are able to get a couple turnovers here or there without having to go to a more conventional type of diamond press where you are VERY suseptible to giving up a layup.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on February 05, 2016, 01:19:57 pm

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 01:29:48 pm
Yes but as we've seen with some, they can predict the future. They just decided not to pick the winning lottery a few weeks back though.

IS this a problem for Alford? If so, then why is a shrinking win total not a problem for MA? IF not, then why did you bring up the coach from UCLA to start with?

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 02:02:16 pm
The way our press is ran, it's sole intent is to get players to play faster than they are used to, and at times get the ball in someones hands going faster than they really should. I coach high school basketball and we will run the same press (it's not a 1-2-1-1 press more like a full court man with a switch/trap) to try and get a kid that has no business bringing the ball up to bring it up and force him to make decisions he's not used to making. At times it works, but not at a high percentage but you are able to get a couple turnovers here or there without having to go to a more conventional type of diamond press where you are VERY suseptible to giving up a layup.

So is it really worth it to get " a couple turnovers here or there " knowing it makes you more likely to give up open shots or layups? I know you said your press is a little less aggressive, but still, is it worth it? And you are not playing against college teams that have 3 or 4 guys on the floor who can handle the ball efficiently, and knock down open 3's.

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2016, 03:24:17 pm
IS this a problem for Alford? If so, then why is a shrinking win total not a problem for MA? IF not, then why did you bring up the coach from UCLA to start with?

I brought him up. UCLA didn't have a tourney resume last season and they still got in. Hogs resume Mike's third year was better than their resume last year. I think a 21-13 Hogs team (the same record as Stan Heath's fifth season) will get in. Especially with the news breaking today that Louisville isn't eligible for postseason, to go along with SMU. Memphis is also in danger of not being a tourney team.

If Hogs can finish strong, they've got a great chance to sneak in.

MountieDawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 12:47:46 pm
My biggest fear with Pel coaching that group would be his ability to control them off the court. Mike did a good job with that for the most part. That roster for Pel would have looked like this:

BJ Young / Nobles
Clarke / Madden
Wade / Scott
Powell / Bryant / Waithe
Sanchez / Abron / Mickelson

If he could control them, that team had the talent to make a good run. However, we know Powell tore his ACL 2 games in, which was a bad break for Anderson as he looked amazing. Who knows what that season could have been with him.

I remember some issues with Pel's players, winning being a big one... How many of the guys he brought in got arrested and how many felonies?  I can't remember?
SEC!

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 05, 2016, 03:39:10 pm
I remember some issues with Pel's players, winning being a big one... How many of the guys he brought in got arrested and how many felonies?  I can't remember?
Let's see, Marcus Britt, Nick Mason, Glenn Bryant, Courtney Fortson, Brandon Moore, and Patrick Beverly was having someone write papers for him while at Arkansas and NCAA forced him to sit out a year. Jason Henry was also arrested although his big one came after he was out of an Ark uniform. All those listed were either charged and convicted of something or, accusations were made causing them to be suspended and miss considerable amounts of game time. Stephan Welsh also missed a good amount of a season for something that I am not sure what it was.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 03:57:45 pm
Stephan Welsh also missed a good amount of a season for something that I am not sure what it was.

He dropped his summer classes he needed to complete to stay eligible. More of the Heath academic fallout. Thus, he was suspended for the fall semester.

Britt and Moore had DWIs. Britt, Mason, and Bryant were all falsely accused of rape.

Henry and Fortson stole some hair-care products from Walmart.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2016, 03:27:21 pm
So is it really worth it to get " a couple turnovers here or there " knowing it makes you more likely to give up open shots or layups? I know you said your press is a little less aggressive, but still, is it worth it? And you are not playing against college teams that have 3 or 4 guys on the floor who can handle the ball efficiently, and knock down open 3's.
Actually when i got to the full court man, we don't give up layups. If we go to a diamond we are way more suseptible to giving up layups but we often turn teams over more as well. With the full court press kind of like what CMA uses, you are just trying to speed teams up. The hogs aren't always super aggressive in their traps. A lot of times it's trying to get them to use more of their shot clock in the back court than setting things up and running their half court offense. We have also seen at times how teams will make bad passes, or turn it over when there isn't really a whole lot of pressure there but they turn it over bc they were expecting something that didn't happen.

Our press this year has not at all killed us as maybe it had in years past. Our press has done a good job of creating turnovers here and there, but what has hurt us the most is once we get into the half court, are the fouls 45 feet from the basket. Teams are getting less and less open looks against the press, our issue is in the half court IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2016, 04:00:15 pm
He dropped his summer classes he needed to complete to stay eligible. More of the Heath academic fallout. Thus, he was suspended for the fall semester.
Thanks. I couldn't remember what it was but knew it wasn't legal issues.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2016, 03:24:17 pm
glad you asked.

Alford will be fine because his AD isn't an idiot. But the trend is that his win total has gone down from year 1, to 2 then 3. Mike went up from years 1-4 and then will finally go down in year 5 and most feel will quickly go back up in year six.

Only a dummy would have either of these guys in the hot seat.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2016, 04:00:15 pm
Henry and Fortson stole some hair-care products from Walmart.

I understand Fortson, but Henry kept his hair cut pretty short.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 04:07:16 pm
It wasn't for him.....it was for his HHHH......O's kay never mind.

MountieDawg

Quote from: azhog10 on February 05, 2016, 03:57:45 pm
Let's see, Marcus Britt, Nick Mason, Glenn Bryant, Courtney Fortson, Brandon Moore, and Patrick Beverly was having someone write papers for him while at Arkansas and NCAA forced him to sit out a year. Jason Henry was also arrested although his big one came after he was out of an Ark uniform. All those listed were either charged and convicted of something or, accusations were made causing them to be suspended and miss considerable amounts of game time. Stephan Welsh also missed a good amount of a season for something that I am not sure what it was.

Didn't Heath bring in BEVERLY and WELSH?
SEC!

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 05, 2016, 04:31:30 pm
Didn't Heath bring in BEVERLY and WELSH?
Very well could have. I think you are right that Heath brought them in. Just saying it happened while Pel was here. But yeah I think you are right that Pel didn't technically recruit them. I think they were part of the 06' class which would have been Heaths.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2016, 04:07:16 pm

Fortson was the only one of the two who was actually detained, since he had more than $23+ in merchandise, or whatever threshold Walmart's policy adhered to. Henry didn't have enough, thus he was let go (but being a Hog, it still made the news). There was a football player involved as well.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

razorbackkid

I believe this my first post in Jump Ball this season.  I have been reading some throughout the season like I always do.

I've read this thread from start to finish and have a few observations.  I'm pretty old school and have traditional basketball roots that grow within a foundation of solid man to man defense, solid point guard play, and sound fundamentals such as blocking out on rebound opportunities, sharp passing and movement without the basketball.

I've played the game since 3rd grade and by the time my high school days were over I had a few offers to play the game at small colleges.  I joined the U.S. Army instead.  I'm now 53 years old.

From my youthful days of watching Joe Dumars rip Arkansas St. in the old Indian Fieldhouse at ASU, to my older days of seeing Scotty Thurmans' three point shot enable us to win a National Championship vs Duke, basketball has been fun to play and fun to watch.

From the power teams of the Eddie Sutton era thru the magical teams of Nolan Richardson, Arkansas basketball has been exciting.  Whether it was the Ron Brewer's top of the key turn around jump shot that beat Notre Dame in the consilation game, or Balentines' baseline shot to beat Michael Jordan's N.C. team in Pine Bluff, Joe Kline's play to beat Shaq.  Reed's half court shot to beat Louisville, Al Dillards' 16 point performance in less than two minutes, Marvin Delphs' first half shot to put Arkansas up over UCLA 41 to 19. 

From the Triplets to Forty Minutes of Hell....I've been there.  And I've loved it.

From the sweat of players like Sidney Moncrief, Scott Hastening, Alan Zahn, Brad Friess, Alvin Robinson, Darrell Walker, Corliss Williamson, Steve Shaw, Andrew Lang, Oliver Miller and so many more my love for the Razorbacks was created, sustained and continues.

Since Nolan Richardson's departure our program has been in disarray. 

Heath and Pel were expected to fill the shoes of a giant.  They couldn't and didn't.

Mike Anderson is placed in a similar situation.  He ain't gonna do what Nolan did in the same fashion and to be expected to is ridiculous. 

For Arkansas Basketball to return to glory is not ridiculous nor is it beyond expectations.  The means for it to happen is not fixed on following the footsteps of giants, but in getting back to the basics and fundamentals from which every giant has grown.

I like this years basketball team more than any other Mike has had.  Sure I miss the "Qualls dunks" factor.  He was exciting, but he looked like a 3rd grader dribbling the basketball. 

This team with one more year of experience behind them could be really, really good.  Coach Anderson has trimmed down the "fastest forty in basketball" to "fast when it is good for us" fast.

To me it seems we are toning down the "Nolan Revisited" notion, and being better fundamentally sound than the first 4 years of his tenure.  I'm really happy to see this.

At my age, waiting another twenty years to see a national championship caliber team, is not an option most likely.  And with Arkansas's history from the mid seventies thru the mid nineties, I do not anticipate another such drought.

Mike Anderson just needs to go out and get his own Clint McDaniel, his own Corey Beck, his own Roger Crawford, his own Corliss Williamson and his own Yvonne Richardson motivation.  (God Bless her soul and I mean no disrespect).

I really believe when Mike Anderson quits living in Nolan's shadow (and we fans quit expecting him to be the next Nolan) and becomes his own man, we, as fans, will see Mike Anderson come alive and have a great career with the Razorbacks.

I have no doubt Coach Anderson wants to deliver us from the twenty years of futility, it's now year five and the natives are restless.  But what I see now, not in wins, but in the style of play and heart of the team, has given me a bit of hope.

Next year will tell the tale. 

:razorback:

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HoopS

I believe he's done a great job with this team.

We play team ball. Sure, we make some mistakes, but what team doesn't. 

Player development is evident.

Our motion offense looks really sharp at times and it's because we have unselfish players looking to find the right cutter, or shooter, or big man.

I'm happy with what I'm seeing right now. We blew some games we should have won, and we've gotten some bad officiating at times, but I see development. I don't care what the WL is right now. I know team ball and that's what's happening. I know development and it is easy to see.

We are well on our way back to being a factor.

I'm curious to see how we close this season out. 

I said 17-22 wins in the preseason and despite losing some games I expected to win, I have to think we still hit that range.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HoopS on February 06, 2016, 09:32:43 pm
I believe he's done a great job with this team.

We play team ball. Sure, we make some mistakes, but what team doesn't. 

Player development is evident.

Our motion offense looks really sharp at times and it's because we have unselfish players looking to find the right cutter, or shooter, or big man.

I'm happy with what I'm seeing right now. We blew some games we should have won, and we've gotten some bad officiating at times, but I see development. I don't care what the WL is right now. I know team ball and that's what's happening. I know development and it is easy to see.

We are well on our way back to being a factor.

I'm curious to see how we close this season out. 

I said 17-22 wins in the preseason and despite losing some games I expected to win, I have to think we still hit that range.

I never thought a 12-13 record would classify as great by any measure. Its actually very bad