Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson most underappreciated job as coach

Started by jdunhog, January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 02:21:32 pm
Okay, I'll play this game.......in no order

[A] 69-59 (25-39) 1 NCAA Appearance Round of 32  (4 years)

[ B ] 86-48 (39-31) 1 NIT 2nd Round 1 NCAA Round of 32  (4 years)

[C] 82-71 (31-49) 2 NCAA Appearance Round of 64  (5 years)

Those are similar?

You got it exactly right. Only one of the three above .500 in conference play.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

You cannot qualify how well a team does by how it does against a point spread....   The point spread has many factors involved.  Because the betting public thinks you are not good, is not a positive for your program.  Some fans bet on their school regardless of the line which skews the line.  Ohio State and Alabama football, Duke and Kentucky basketball numbers are usually inflated. 

If you are satisfied because your team is 10 - 10 because you expected a bad year, that really tells you the state of the program and how the coach is doing. 
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 04:00:24 pm
You cannot qualify how well a team does by how it does against a point spread....   The point spread has many factors involved.  Because the betting public thinks you are not good, is not a positive for your program.  Some fans bet on their school regardless of the line which skews the line.  Ohio State and Alabama football, Duke and Kentucky basketball numbers are usually inflated. 

If you are satisfied because your team is 10 - 10 because you expected a bad year, that really tells you the state of the program and how the coach is doing.

Can you take something from how they do as favorites vs underdogs in terms of pulling upsets vs losing when favored?  Not talking specifically about our current team but perhaps you can see if a team tends to play up or down to its competition or with consistency. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 04:00:24 pm

I think his intent was talking about over achieving vs. under achieving. Not being happy or mad about the current state of the program.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 04:07:14 pm
I think his intent was talking about over achieving vs. under achieving. Not being happy or mad about the current state of the program.

I was trying to spin up a potential positive angle of the team. ;D
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2016, 04:06:57 pm
I was trying to spin up a potential positive angle of the team. ;D
I don't know if it actually did that. The hogs are normally horrible to bet on bc they don't seem to consistently cover the spread. This year I suppose it's different, however back when I used to dabble in it, I learned quick to stay away from the hogs. Mainly bc the emotional attachment and also their ATS record.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 03:14:23 pm
Let this season finish.....I don't expect anything to be different, but at least allow the season to finish before you count it against him.

hogsanity does not care about the very material numerical differences between the three. Most people on here do not care enough to discern the meaning of the numbers, but hogsanity is going to say the same ol' thing regardless of what the numbers say.

Heath's first three teams were well under .500 in the SEC, a combined 14-34. Had one season above .500 in the league; went 7-9 his last season.

Pelphrey went 9-7 his first time out, then 2-14, 7-9, 7-9.

Anderson: 6-10, 10-8, 10-8, 13-5, with a good chance to be above .500 in the SEC again this season.

[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 04:48:35 pm
hogsanity does not care about the very material numerical differences between the three. Most people on here do not care enough to discern the meaning of the numbers, but hogsanity is going to say the same ol' thing regardless of what the numbers say.

Heath's first three teams were well under .500 in the SEC, a combined 14-34. Had one season above .500 in the league; went 7-9 his last season.

Anderson: 6-10, 10-8, 10-8, 13-5, with a good chance to be above .500 in the SEC again this season.

But wouldn't you agree that the NCAA tournament is the standard or measuring stick used in college basketball, especially in a coach's 5th year?

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 04:48:35 pm

If SEC record is what we are basing success on, then fine, but you know that conf record is NOT what most people look at when they look at college basketball.

As for saying the same thing, nothing is repeated on here more than some form of " Don't worry Mike will get it done, just give him (insert time period anywhere from 8 years to 4 decades here ) to get players in here for his system.".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 04:51:28 pm
If SEC record is what we are basing success on, then fine, but you know that conf record is NOT what most people look at when they look at college basketball.

As for saying the same thing, nothing is repeated on here more than some form of " Don't worry Mike will get it done, just give him (insert time period anywhere from 8 years to 4 decades here ) to get players in here for his system.".

Why is only the negative statements called out for being "repeated", but the positive ones are the same way?

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 04:54:38 pm
Why is only the negative statements called out for being "repeated", but the positive ones are the same way?

Who knows. What I cant stand is how every win is all because of Mike, and shows he is some super hof level coach, but if they lose it is because of ANYTHING other than any of his shortcomings as a coach. If he is such a great coach to make this team beat Texas A&M then why did they lose to GA and LSu and Akron and Mercer and Stanford?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 04:59:22 pm
Who knows. What I cant stand is how every win is all because of Mike, and shows he is some super hof level coach, but if they lose it is because of ANYTHING other than any of his shortcomings as a coach. If he is such a great coach to make this team beat Texas A&M then why did they lose to GA and LSu and Akron and Mercer and Stanford?

Don't forget a win means MA has them improving and a loss means that we are doing better than we thought we would and a player left last year and was drafted in the NBA.
SEC!

Biggus Piggus

And all of this is groundless hyperbole from you again, intended to deflect people from your repeated, stubborn misstatements. You never address your lies, or concede where you were wrong. You just move on to another regurgitation of THE SAME OLD darn AND I AM SICK OF IT.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 04:53:04 pm
But wouldn't you agree that the NCAA tournament is the standard or measuring stick used in college basketball, especially in a coach's 5th year?

Which year it is, is not the question. Who gives a crap what year it is? Did you not see the roster in August? Did you not know then what this season might become? Did you just discover this? Why are you still talking about what [CENSORED] year it is? You know this roster wasn't intended to be this way. And you know why. And that's been discussed, oh, 10,000 times on this board. So if it's coming as a shock to you, please go out in your garage and kiss your car battery.
[CENSORED]!

LZH

Captain Morgan

Quote from: LZH on January 28, 2016, 07:13:41 pm
Mmmm......excuse juice.

Yes indeed excuses. Always get a good laugh from Jump Ball  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: ;D

Breems

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 07:03:08 pm
Which year it is, is not the question. Who gives a crap what year it is? Did you not see the roster in August? Did you not know then what this season might become? Did you just discover this? Why are you still talking about what [CENSORED] year it is? You know this roster wasn't intended to be this way. And you know why. And that's been discussed, oh, 10,000 times on this board. So if it's coming as a shock to you, please go out in your garage and kiss your car battery.

Yeah, the "year 5" thing is pretty exaggerated here.

Texas A&M won an NIT game in year 4 whereas we won an NCAAT game. Do they give a damn about year 4 now? Does anyone care about Lon Kruger's 6th year at Florida? No one is talking about year 12 for Billy Donovan.

What matters are trends and whether this year becomes a pattern or anomaly in the Mike Anderson era.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 04:54:38 pm
Duh, holding on to the MA rope and continuing to make excuses in year five is the cool thing to do.  Acting like you have watched basketball and realize it does not take five years to get things rolling is so out.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Almost everyone not making excuses for MA cares what year it is.  Oddly enough you guys cared what year it was under Heath and Pel, but all of a sudden it does not matter.  I am still considering that someone has paid you off, considering how hard you have been on MA in the past and now all of a sudden you love his underachieving ways.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

January 29, 2016, 05:49:45 am #169 Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:12:07 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 06:58:35 pm
And all of this is groundless hyperbole from you again, intended to deflect people from your repeated, stubborn misstatements. You never address your lies, or concede where you were wrong. You just move on to another regurgitation of THE SAME OLD darn AND I AM SICK OF IT.
Many of us are sick of the countless threads talking about how great we are and how MA has improved every year and last year was so great.  Poor ole MA, most under-appreciated overpaid coach in America.  He just could not prepare for two guys leaving last year and Arkansas is the only team in America that has to deal with early exits.  Hey, we are the best 10 loss team in America according to some random guy on Twitter. 

It just gets old, and it is not personal at any poster on here

Breems

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 05:49:45 am
Many of us are sick of the countless threads talking about how great we are and how MA has improved every year and last year was so great.  Poor ole MA, most under-appreciated overpaid coach in America.  He just could not prepare for two guys leaving last year and Arkansas is the only team in America that has to deal with early exits.  Hey, we are the best 10 loss team in America according to some random guy on Twitter. 

Yeah, the board has just been chalk full of MA apologists this year. You can hardly wade through all the positivity.

Quit acting like a victim. Buncha cry babies everywhere.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:17:21 am
It's pretty sad that our students and fans are so arrogant about 22 years ago that they won't storm the court after beating the no 5 team in the nation.

We are not the program to not celebrate that win in a glorious way. When I saw the court not yet to h stormed I couldn't believe it.

Fans acting like they've been there before when realistically they haven't.

Nonetheless, after Wofford in the tournament and Kentucky in Rupp Arena; this is Michael Anderson's third best win as Arkansas coach. I have to admit I'm shocked by the arrogance of the fans in BWA. The court should have been stormed but our fans think they too good for that.  >:( >:( >:(

Seriously??

The fans at ANY legitimate D1 school should storm the court after beating the number Five (not number One) team, who's not a rival school, in the middle of the conference schedule?

Sheesh man, what should the fans do if we beat Kentucky, while they're ranked number one, on a last second shot to win the SEC tournament?

Have a riot and burn cars?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

wheelspigharvey

A logical explanation of a situation isn't the same as making excuses.  He's the head coach so it all rests on him, that's the nature of the game, BUT none of you really have any idea why he was betting on Bobby and Mike staying or why Babb left.  You would have been foaming at the mouth had the pulled Kapita's offer and wondered why he didn't take a gamble on the guy. 

I just don't understand where people get the idea that in a rebuilding project after 5 years we must be strong enough to withstand four pretty sizeable roster disruptions (if you consider Portis and Qualls as one) and that have no effect on the court.  That's so freaking arbitrary. 

What I think is interesting about all this blame game stuff is that when interviewed Mike basically says "this isn't the team we planned on having, but that doesn't mean we can't get it done."  Notice this isn't year 2, when he was saying all season "help is coming."

Pork Twain

Quote from: Breems on January 29, 2016, 07:11:02 am
Yeah, the board has just been chalk full of MA apologists this year. You can hardly wade through all the positivity.

Quit acting like a victim. Buncha cry babies everywhere.
Counting down the days till you turn on MA and Biggus stays turned.

wheelspigharvey

Also I don't want to reveal too much about myself but give the upside down horns if you've ever tried to build an athletic and academic program from scratch and had any success with it.

::hornsdown:: 

Anyone else?

azhog10

I have never stated we won bc of CMA. In fact, IMO most wins and losses this season (especially the close ones) had everything to do with the players, win or lose. Most of my points are that everyone wants to bash the recruiting class, and has every right to. That being said, with the "poor", "talentless" players that we have we have played quite a few teams very close and then blew some teams out. Therefore CMA has done a damn good job of getting these "subpar" players to play up to the competition level and in every single one of those close games had it not been for late turnovers or missed free throws or shots we would have won. So we can dish on the recruiting class, and you have every right to and I won't argue with you for a second about that. However the players need to make the plays, and it's not like they are being asked to do something that is completely out of their skill set to do. Like catch a ball, not dribble off their leg, making an easy pass instead of a hard one, or just making a free throw in crunch time when you shoot it 70-80% from the line. The losses you listed outside of Arkon (we missed shots all game and they shot very very well) you can find in each of those games where we turned it over late because we simply just lost focus. That has nothing to do with Mike and the LSU game was a poorly officiated game in which we really had to overcome close to 10 points due to the officials. On the road at LSU, that isn't an easy task and by listing that game your argument really doesn't hold water.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 05:46:17 am
Almost everyone not making excuses for MA cares what year it is.  Oddly enough you guys cared what year it was under Heath and Pel, but all of a sudden it does not matter.  I am still considering that someone has paid you off, considering how hard you have been on MA in the past and now all of a sudden you love his underachieving ways.
I think the Heath argument is a good one. Although I believe Heath was let go, not because of the improvement on the court (his record backs up that he was turning the program around) but because of the academic progress and the turmoil he was about to introduce the program to. That's something Pelphrey and CMA had to deal with, and essentially why he was let go. Pel, did not continuously imrpove, instead went the other direction. As Breems said, if we have another season like this one, back to back, or even in year 7. I would imagine that would do it for CMA, and rightfully so.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 05:49:45 am

Point me to the thread that says Arkansas Basketball is great? Yes someone started a thread saying he is underappreciated, but there are more threads talking about apathy, and we are awful, we suck type of threads than threads like these that pop up after a big win. Look at the board when we lose and you can see multiple threads about how CMA just can't get it done. But yet the one that tries to give him credit and you blow your top.

Breems

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 08:00:28 am

No need to count. If next year isn't a return to the NCAAT, I'm out. I prefer going by results and not personal investment in the coach like younger me did with the Pelphmeister.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Breems on January 29, 2016, 08:23:42 am
No need to count. If next year isn't a return to the NCAAT, I'm out. I prefer going by results and not personal investment in the coach like younger me did with the Pelphmeister.

I wanted Pel to succeed so badly.  I think people think that support from Mike is only Nolan-based, but what about having respect for somebody who is making an honest effort to put out a dumpster fire and turn it into a winning machine?  No easy task, and honestly hats off to Pel for trying.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 29, 2016, 07:59:02 am
A logical explanation of a situation isn't the same as making excuses.  He's the head coach so it all rests on him, that's the nature of the game, BUT none of you really have any idea why he was betting on Bobby and Mike staying or why Babb left.  You would have been foaming at the mouth had the pulled Kapita's offer and wondered why he didn't take a gamble on the guy. 

I just don't understand where people get the idea that in a rebuilding project after 5 years we must be strong enough to withstand four pretty sizeable roster disruptions (if you consider Portis and Qualls as one) and that have no effect on the court.  That's so freaking arbitrary. 

What I think is interesting about all this blame game stuff is that when interviewed Mike basically says "this isn't the team we planned on having, but that doesn't mean we can't get it done."  Notice this isn't year 2, when he was saying all season "help is coming."

If he was counting on Bobby coming back, for any reason ( including Bobby saying he was coming back ) then you have to question his sanity. The guy was a borderline lottery pick as a FR and considered coming out then. HE goes out and wins secpoty as a soph, is again being talked about as a possible lottery pick. No way you plan on him coming back, you plan like he is leaving, and if he comes back, well it is Christmas come early.

I place the Babb issue squarely on Mike and how he strung Babb along last year. Countless times Mike would say things like " Babb is really working hard in practice he has earned some playing time " Or " I think Babb can really help us this week " and then he never sees the court.

His statements about help being on the way were fine in year two, they are not acceptable in year 5. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 08:00:28 am

I still don't believe MA will ever bring in enough talent, or upgrade his staff enough. I'm not going to say he shouldn't have a chance to prove me wrong.

MA's overall coaching performance has been surprisingly good over the past two years, if you can see through the limitations of the roster (even last season, when they needed better guards as usual). Getting this roster to score well and play any kind of defense -- that's quite an accomplishment.

Putting together this roster -- not so much. I just don't understand why ANYBODY is still griping about something they should have gotten over six months ago. It's done. This year's team is undermanned. Look at what MA's doing with it.
[CENSORED]!

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 08:29:58 am
If he was counting on Bobby coming back, for any reason ( including Bobby saying he was coming back ) then you have to question his sanity. The guy was a borderline lottery pick as a FR and considered coming out then. HE goes out and wins secpoty as a soph, is again being talked about as a possible lottery pick. No way you plan on him coming back, you plan like he is leaving, and if he comes back, well it is Christmas come early.

I place the Babb issue squarely on Mike and how he strung Babb along last year. Countless times Mike would say things like " Babb is really working hard in practice he has earned some playing time " Or " I think Babb can really help us this week " and then he never sees the court.

His statements about help being on the way were fine in year two, they are not acceptable in year 5.

He took a gamble on the guy coming back, he could have taken a gamble on going after another big.  Both are gambles.  The problem is that it's not just Bobby leaving, that's one isolated thing.  I really think that they did count on him leaving before he finished his senior year, and I think that Moses was probably always meant to be his replacement. 

Anyone want to go back and hear what he had to say about Trey last season?  Who was Babb supposed to beat for PT?  Last year we had probably our best group of guards we've seen in a long time period (hey, including Babb), it boggles the mind that we are supposed to think that every single one of them including the freshmen gets the playing time they "deserve," especially since we weren't playing small ball really.  Larry Brown said it himself.  He wasn't saying "I don't know why a talented guy named Nick doesn't see the floor," he was saying that it was really clear.

He's NOT saying "help is on the way" in year 5.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 08:16:00 am
I think the Heath argument is a good one. Although I believe Heath was let go, not because of the improvement on the court (his record backs up that he was turning the program around) but because of the academic progress and the turmoil he was about to introduce the program to. That's something Pelphrey and CMA had to deal with, and essentially why he was let go. Pel, did not continuously imrpove, instead went the other direction. As Breems said, if we have another season like this one, back to back, or even in year 7. I would imagine that would do it for CMA, and rightfully so.
I have absolutely no love for Heath or Pel.  I started watching Arkansas basketball in the 80s and what it has become over the last 20 years is disheartening to say the least. 

I wanted MA because I wanted Hawg Ball and after the last two guys had beaten me down, I thought he might turn this ship around.

I did not want MA because I did not think he could adequately recruit to Arkansas over the long-haul and his style of play was not attractive to recruits.

I have been following basketball most of my life, especially college ball.  I hate it when people try to compare our basketball and football programs to make themselves feel better.  They are not the same and cannot be compared.  Just the number of players required should be enough to stop people but sadly it does not.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 29, 2016, 08:35:47 am
I still don't believe MA will ever bring in enough talent, or upgrade his staff enough. I'm not going to say he shouldn't have a chance to prove me wrong.

MA's overall coaching performance has been surprisingly good over the past two years, if you can see through the limitations of the roster (even last season, when they needed better guards as usual). Getting this roster to score well and play any kind of defense -- that's quite an accomplishment.

Putting together this roster -- not so much. I just don't understand why ANYBODY is still griping about something they should have gotten over six months ago. It's done. This year's team is undermanned. Look at what MA's doing with it.
Very reasonably stated and very similar to my feelings.  Except for the bitterness I feel about dropping the ball in recruiting.

Pork Twain

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 29, 2016, 08:29:16 am
I wanted Pel to succeed so badly.  I think people think that support from Mike is only Nolan-based, but what about having respect for somebody who is making an honest effort to put out a dumpster fire and turn it into a winning machine?  No easy task, and honestly hats off to Pel for trying.
I think most of us did at the beginning.  I do not think Pel left a dumpster fire for MA, I do think Heath left a dumpster fire for Pel.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 08:29:58 am

We can talk about losing BP. But honestly that's a wasted argument bc whether CMA did or didn't, the lack of an extra big isn't hurting this team. Moses has played well, not up to BP level, but no one we brought in was going to. The fail in recruiting was not going after a wing/SF type, and probably needed two of them as Harris played that kinda role as well (even Madden at times). Whether or not CMA thought he was staying and decided not to go after another big and gamble on Kapita hasn't hurt this team. We complained about it in the offseason but Moses, Trey, and Willie have really don't a hell of a job in that role. Our guard play and shooting has stepped up, but the thing we lack is that longer more athletic wing that can get to the rim and defend the taller wings in this league. Some could argue Babb could have done that, but those who say he deserved more time, are just running an agenda. No one knows why Babb left, just as much as no one knows how productive he would have been here had he stayed. Losing Jacorey sucked, and he would have helped in the role I'm describing but he couldn't keep his hands to himself so he's gone.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 09:28:15 am
We can talk about losing BP. But honestly that's a wasted argument bc whether CMA did or didn't, the lack of an extra big isn't hurting this team. Moses has played well, not up to BP level, but no one we brought in was going to. The fail in recruiting was not going after a wing/SF type, and probably needed two of them as Harris played that kinda role as well (even Madden at times). Whether or not CMA thought he was staying and decided not to go after another big and gamble on Kapita hasn't hurt this team. We complained about it in the offseason but Moses, Trey, and Willie have really don't a hell of a job in that role. Our guard play and shooting has stepped up, but the thing we lack is that longer more athletic wing that can get to the rim and defend the taller wings in this league. Some could argue Babb could have done that, but those who say he deserved more time, are just running an agenda. No one knows why Babb left, just as much as no one knows how productive he would have been here had he stayed. Losing Jacorey sucked, and he would have helped in the role I'm describing but he couldn't keep his hands to himself so he's gone.

Michael Anderson needs to take these games one at a time.  ;)

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 08:50:41 am
I think most of us did at the beginning.  I do not think Pel left a dumpster fire for MA, I do think Heath left a dumpster fire for Pel.
What dumpster fire was that? A team that finished runner up in the SECT and one an NCAAT game? Or the academic mess taht had a 5 year effect on the program (that includes CMA's first year). So you can say CMA didn't receive a dumpster fire from Pel, however the program did not receive a loss of a scholarship till Mike's first year (not Pel's fault) so Heath's APR issues hurt the program well into the first year of CMA. Like it or not, that's the facts.

Pork Twain

January 29, 2016, 09:59:18 am #189 Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:45:28 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 09:30:29 am
What dumpster fire was that? A team that finished runner up in the SECT and one an NCAAT game? Or the academic mess taht had a 5 year effect on the program (that includes CMA's first year). So you can say CMA didn't receive a dumpster fire from Pel, however the program did not receive a loss of a scholarship till Mike's first year (not Pel's fault) so Heath's APR issues hurt the program well into the first year of CMA. Like it or not, that's the facts.
Pel left the program better than he found it, especially in APR.
Heath left the program worse than he found it, especially APR.  he also made basketball almost unwatchable.

Perfect Frankenstein coach from the last three.

Heath/Pel recruiting, Pel on APR watch, MA coaching.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 08:49:01 am
Very reasonably stated and very similar to my feelings.  Except for the bitterness I feel about dropping the ball in recruiting.

Last year's recruiting was like a slow-motion train wreck. Then we went into the summer + the coaches couldn't get any of the power players they went after. Had a chance to do something really special, didn't quite get there. But I'm still eager to see this team for the next two or three years. Should be a big step up.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 29, 2016, 10:51:40 am
Last year's recruiting was like a slow-motion train wreck. Then we went into the summer + the coaches couldn't get any of the power players they went after. Had a chance to do something really special, didn't quite get there. But I'm still eager to see this team for the next two or three years. Should be a big step up.
I am excited for next year but I am mad at myself for allowing me to get excited.  This has become like a Shakespearean tragedy.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 29, 2016, 09:28:46 am
Michael Anderson needs to take these games one at a time.  ;)

Do you know the implication of the winking yellow head that you include after nearly every post?  ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

You know why it matters? Because we all heard "wait until year 3, that's when Mike is at his best". Then when Mike squandered away his chance at a NCAA tournament in year 3, it was "look at this Top 25 team we have in year 4, here is that Sweet 16 year."

When Mike was hired, the expectations he set and the fans set were that once this was his program, we would be rolling. Well, we are in year 5 and we have one NCAA tournament win against Wofford to show for it. We aren't even going to make the NIT this year. We are relying on 3 JUCO's to come in and take us from a .500 team to an NCAA team.

What did I expect the roster to be? Well, once last year ended I thought that even with Portis and Qualls leaving, we had a decent shot to be a bubble NCAA team if everything went well.

Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Babb / Whitt / Watkins
Williams / Miles
Kingsley / Kapita / Thompson

That could have been a good team. Then Mike's gamble on Kapita fails and we end up with Kouassi who can't even find the floor now. Babb transfers and we end up with a 2-star that probably won't even be here in the future. We bring in the last ranked recruiting class in the SEC and Hannahs to add to a team that lost all that talent.

If Mike was a high school coach graduating his senior class and didn't have much talent coming up from Jr. High, I could deal with all of these "He's a great coach, just give him a year" and "Best coaching job of his career" stuff. But the fact is he and his staff are responsible for recruiting and replenishing this roster. And by judging by the talent gaps on the court this season and the 10-10 record, he failed to do that. And that is not acceptable for a coach that gets paid $2.2 million and is in his fifth season running a program. You get excuses when taking over in years 1 and 2, but by now, our record is all his responsibility.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 29, 2016, 11:33:09 am
We are relying on 3 JUCO's to come in and take us from a .500 team to an NCAA team.

What did I expect the roster to be? Well, once last year ended I thought that even with Portis and Qualls leaving, we had a decent shot to be a bubble NCAA team if everything went well.

Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Babb / Whitt / Watkins
Williams / Miles

It's not just the JUCOs we are depending on, we are depending on these guys too.  They are all playing objectively solid, they just need to put it together.  I think another 1/3 of a season with all winnable games and an off-season will help that.

wheelspigharvey

Correct me if I'm wrong but the general doubter vibe is that if somehow Mike pulls out a tourney bid this year you will not be impressed because he should have never been behind the 8-ball in the first place?

itshogsbaby

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:17:21 am
It's pretty sad that our students and fans are so arrogant about 22 years ago that they won't storm the court after beating the no 5 team in the nation.

We are not the program to not celebrate that win in a glorious way. When I saw the court not yet to h stormed I couldn't believe it.

Fans acting like they've been there before when realistically they haven't.

Nonetheless, after Wofford in the tournament and Kentucky in Rupp Arena; this is Michael Anderson's third best win as Arkansas coach. I have to admit I'm shocked by the arrogance of the fans in BWA. The court should have been stormed but our fans think they too good for that.  >:( >:( >:(
This must be sarcasm.  You don't storm the court over that win.  Texas A & M is a pretty good ballclub, but overrated at #5.

I'll never understand the constantly unsatisfied fan.   Mike is of high character, bleeds Razorback red.  Let's see this through a few more years and see if stability rises to the top.

Pork Twain

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 29, 2016, 11:42:47 am
It's not just the JUCOs we are depending on, we are depending on these guys too.  They are all playing objectively solid, they just need to put it together.  I think another 1/3 of a season with all winnable games and an off-season will help that.

Agreed and that is why I am optimistic about next year, even though I figure my heart will be broken again.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: itshogsbaby on January 29, 2016, 12:10:30 pm
This must be sarcasm.  You don't storm the court over that win.  Texas A & M is a pretty good ballclub, but overrated at #5.

This mirrors my post earlier in this thread with no responses.
I'm not sure if you and I are in the minority or not.   I'd like to think the crickets I got in response was due to other people thinking there's no need for a response to something so obvious.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 29, 2016, 11:33:09 am
You know why it matters? Because we all heard "wait until year 3, that's when Mike is at his best". Then when Mike squandered away his chance at a NCAA tournament in year 3, it was "look at this Top 25 team we have in year 4, here is that Sweet 16 year."

When Mike was hired, the expectations he set and the fans set were that once this was his program, we would be rolling. Well, we are in year 5 and we have one NCAA tournament win against Wofford to show for it. We aren't even going to make the NIT this year. We are relying on 3 JUCO's to come in and take us from a .500 team to an NCAA team.

Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Babb / Whitt / Watkins
Williams / Miles

That could have been a good team. Then Mike's gamble on Kapita fails and we end up with Kouassi who can't even find the floor now. Babb transfers and we end up with a 2-star that probably won't even be here in the future. We bring in the last ranked recruiting class in the SEC and Hannahs to add to a team that lost all that talent.

If Mike was a high school coach graduating his senior class and didn't have much talent coming up from Jr. High, I could deal with all of these "He's a great coach, just give him a year" and "Best coaching job of his career" stuff. But the fact is he and his staff are responsible for recruiting and replenishing this roster. And by judging by the talent gaps on the court this season and the 10-10 record, he failed to do that. And that is not acceptable for a coach that gets paid $2.2 million and is in his fifth season running a program. You get excuses when taking over in years 1 and 2, but by now, our record is all his responsibility.

Will you give a damn about year 5 if years 6-20 are Sweet Sixteen+?

I again challenge you to check Lon Kruger's history. If Long was deciding on a new coach for Arkansas if Mike was fired and Kruger was interested, I'd expect you to fly banners around screaming "OMG BUT LOOK AT HIS YEAR 6 AT FLORIDA"