Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson most underappreciated job as coach

Started by jdunhog, January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunhog

just quoted by Bradshaw on SEC now. Stated to have only 13 points coming back and have them as competitive as he has. Great job Coach Anderson!!

ShadowHawg

Double edged sword. He's responsible for the 13 pts coming back, but he is getting a lot out of this team. The performance of the team is an example of very good on court coaching.

hog.goblin

This

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 27, 2016, 10:11:48 pm
Double edged sword. He's responsible for the 13 pts coming back, but he is getting a lot out of this team. The performance of the team is an example of very good on court coaching.

intelligence

And some people want to fire Mike Anderson. Look it, my only qualm with Mike is the failures in recruiting, which is bound to pick up eventually. He was basically blackballed when he left Missouri. Remember ESPN left him off the list of top 50 cbb coaches, which we all know he's top 50 in the country easily.

HogFather1

We need to practice rebounding and free throw shooting MUCH, MUCH MORE.  Having said that, I agree that the biggest issue I have with Mike is recruiting.

But, if everyone can just chill out and ride this thing out, I really do think recruiting is about to turn around. By all accounts, the state of Arkansas has a large number of very talented youngers coming up over the next 3 years. If true, that could finally spark the revival of Arkansas basketball!
But, that's assuming we have stability: the same coach with a consistent system in place...as opposed to having a revolving door, a new coach every four years, players learning new systems, every new coach having a different recruiting strategy, etc.

With a talented crop of in state players coming up soon, what we need most right now is STABILITY!  You can't build a program by changing coaches every 4 years.  Recruiting hasn't been up to par, but help is on the way.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Mike is going to turn this thing around. And once he does guys like Malik and Archie are going to regret their decisions bc Arkansas ball will be back and those guys will forever be vilified as sell outs.

Pork Twain

If only he had recruited better to fill those voids.  Coaches has lost much more at Arkansas in my time watching and were able to make it the Sweet 16 the next year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

3kgthog

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 28, 2016, 06:39:21 am
Mike is going to turn this thing around. And once he does guys like Malik and Archie are going to regret their decisions bc Arkansas ball will be back and those guys will forever be vilified as sell outs.

They'll never regret it. Archie is making a nice living and, barring a career ending injury at UK, Malik won't regret it, either.

It's all about the Benjamins, baby. Wins aren't the reason guys are leaving. Mike isn't sending most of his guys to the league. UK is. Game, set, match. That's all these kids are looking at.

Pork Twain

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 28, 2016, 07:16:55 am
They'll never regret it. Archie is making a nice living and, barring a career ending injury at UK, Malik won't regret it, either.

It's all about the Benjamins, baby. Wins aren't the reason guys are leaving. Mike isn't sending most of his guys to the league. UK is. Game, set, match. That's all these kids are looking at.
There in lies the problem.  MA has never run a system that has been known to put guys in the league or prepare them to be there.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 07:25:45 am
There in lies the problem.  MA has never run a system that has been known to put guys in the league or prepare them to be there.
Carroll, Pressey and Portis recently.  Was an assistant for Joe, Corliss, Pargo.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 07:34:14 am
Carroll, Pressey and Portis recently.  Was an assistant for Joe, Corliss, Pargo.

I think Carroll could be a key one. With the way it seems the NBA is going smaller with Guys like Draymond Green the league is going to start looking more at these 6'6" to 6'7"  undersized college combo forward types.

azhog10

We say Cal is sending guys to the league.......I somewhat disagree. Cal isn't doing anything to send them to the league, most the kids he is getting would probably go straight to the league right out of high school if they could. I look at a guy like Poythress. I remember when he went to UK he was a one and done no more than a two year guy and then going to the NBA. Now he's been there for three or four years and his stock has decreased big time.

CMA on the other hand has had a few guys who weren't on the NBA radar and given them a chance at a profressional NBA career. Portis was obviously an NBA prospect out of high school but Qualls was not. I would have to go back and do some research to look into his players at Mizzou. I know Carrol went to the league and I'm not sure out of JUCO if he was an "autmoatic" to go. So I don't think Cal sends anyone to the league. He just is a guy who gets the kids who really wouldn't normally go to college if not for the 1 year rule.

hogsanity

So he takes a team that is .500 and pulls an upset at home and now he is vastly underappreciated? Underappreciated would be a coach that wins 23 games a year and is in the ncaat every year and still people thinks he is a bad coach---that is underappreciated.

How can Mike be underappreciated? He is considered both in and out of coaching circles to be a good coach, which he is, a GOOD coach, but good coaches only get teams so far. So how is he underappreciated?

As pointed out above, and has been pointed before, his recruiting holds him back, and it always will.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RebelW

I love his team, he's a very good offensive mind. I wish he would hire an assistant that was strictly defense. We would win the close games if we had a better D. No team should be able to drive as easy as they have been in recent weeks. PROTECT YOUR GOAL. nNeed old school defense. This game atleast they were trying to set up charges in the pain instead of watching them go by. Anderson is doing a great job for a rebuilding year

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:11:11 am
As pointed out above, and has been pointed before, his recruiting holds him back, and it always will.

Yep.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RebelW on January 28, 2016, 08:17:20 am
I love his team, he's a very good offensive mind. I wish he would hire an assistant that was strictly defense. We would win the close games if we had a better D. No team should be able to drive as easy as they have been in recent weeks. PROTECT YOUR GOAL. nNeed old school defense. This game atleast they were trying to set up charges in the pain instead of watching them go by. Anderson is doing a great job for a rebuilding year

Not sure if serious.
[CENSORED]!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: HogFather1 on January 28, 2016, 04:56:27 am
We need to practice rebounding and free throw shooting MUCH, MUCH MORE.  Having said that, I agree that the biggest issue I have with Mike is recruiting.

But, if everyone can just chill out and ride this thing out, I really do think recruiting is about to turn around. By all accounts, the state of Arkansas has a large number of very talented youngers coming up over the next 3 years. If true, that could finally spark the revival of Arkansas basketball!
But, that's assuming we have stability: the same coach with a consistent system in place...as opposed to having a revolving door, a new coach every four years, players learning new systems, every new coach having a different recruiting strategy, etc.

With a talented crop of in state players coming up soon, what we need most right now is STABILITY!  You can't build a program by changing coaches every 4 years.  Recruiting hasn't been up to par, but help is on the way.

I see a lot of people talking about our FT shooting but last night it was stated that our team is 3rd in the SEC in FT shooting. I think our problem is more so clutch situations. We play well , but for some reason in the last 6 min of the half we tend to turn the ball over more and miss free throws. I think that is due to nerves. Our team doesn't have much game experience before this year and the more games we continue to play the more they will settle in.

hogsanity

Mike has this team right where most people thought it would be, on pace for 17 or 18 wins and a spot on the NIT bubble. They have 12 games left and they have to go 8-4 to get to 18 wins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogsonHicks

He's the 5th highest paid coach in the SEC at $2.2M.  Being so unappreciated must be difficult.

Kevin

10-10 in year five of the program. not sure there is a reason to celebrate.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

The team averages high at the FT line because Hannahs, Durham and Bell are great shooters. Whitt's numbers are very good too, and Kingsley is at 71%.

But the Hogs have obvious "foul me" people too:

Beard 62%
Kouassi 60%
Thompson 59%
Miles 50%
Watkins 42%
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

Quote from: jdunhog on January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm
just quoted by Bradshaw on SEC now. Stated to have only 13 points coming back and have them as competitive as he has. Great job Coach Anderson!!

Cal only brought back 14 points from last year,  only 9 if you don't count Poythress who injured most of the year...
SEC!

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Kevin on January 28, 2016, 08:48:07 am
10-10 in year five of the program. not sure there is a reason to celebrate.

Less than 24 hours after we beat the #5 team in the country, a team that was seen as dead in the water showing life, still in position for a post-season.  You want to tell people not to be happy?  Save the "we should expect more" spiel too.

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 08:50:41 am
The team averages high at the FT line because Hannahs, Durham and Bell are great shooters. Whitt's numbers are very good too, and Kingsley is at 71%.

Beard 62%
Kouassi 60%
Thompson 59%
Miles 50%
Watkins 42%
Not sure I've even known a coach's son to be such a poor FT shooter. Kind of surprising.

razoredge178

Super ridiculous post. I'd recommend deleting it.

JenksHawg

Quote from: intelligence on January 28, 2016, 12:25:21 am
And some people want to fire Mike Anderson. Look it, my only qualm with Mike is the failures in recruiting, which is bound to pick up eventually. He was basically blackballed when he left Missouri. Remember ESPN left him off the list of top 50 cbb coaches, which we all know he's top 50 in the country easily.
Two questions - how was he "blackballed" when he came here? And what points to recruiting being "bound to pick up eventually"? I see no signs of either.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 08:11:40 am
We say Cal is sending guys to the league.......I somewhat disagree. Cal isn't doing anything to send them to the league, most the kids he is getting would probably go straight to the league right out of high school if they could. I look at a guy like Poythress. I remember when he went to UK he was a one and done no more than a two year guy and then going to the NBA. Now he's been there for three or four years and his stock has decreased big time.

CMA on the other hand has had a few guys who weren't on the NBA radar and given them a chance at a profressional NBA career. Portis was obviously an NBA prospect out of high school but Qualls was not. I would have to go back and do some research to look into his players at Mizzou. I know Carrol went to the league and I'm not sure out of JUCO if he was an "autmoatic" to go. So I don't think Cal sends anyone to the league. He just is a guy who gets the kids who really wouldn't normally go to college if not for the 1 year rule.

Guys are on their own when they get to the league, I think what college prospects and players are thinking about more is the initial contract and getting the highest possible amount there.  No doubt going to a blue-blood school puts you in a position to do that.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on January 28, 2016, 08:57:09 am
Not sure I've even known a coach's son to be such a poor FT shooter. Kind of surprising.

He just can not shoot from more than maybe 5 feet. It is why when gets the ball anywhere away from the basket his defender sags off 5 or more feet. Some guys just can't shoot, no matter how much they work on it. His shooting motion, on the few longer shots I have seen, or while he warms up is just plain ugly.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:59:03 am
He just can not shoot from more than maybe 5 feet. It is why when gets the ball anywhere away from the basket his defender sags off 5 or more feet. Some guys just can't shoot, no matter how much they work on it. His shooting motion, on the few longer shots I have seen, or while he warms up is just plain ugly.

His shot is ugly, but he moves very well without the ball, something that a lot players never seem to understand. If he didn't, he would never score.

His shot is so bad you could lock him in the gym overnight and tell him he can shoot anything but a layup and he wouldn't have 10 pts come the morning!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 07:01:12 am
If only he had recruited better to fill those voids.  Coaches has lost much more at Arkansas in my time watching and were able to make it the Sweet 16 the next year.

Was this during the one and done era. I don't think people understand how much that effects recruiting. Last year Kentucky brought in a class of 7 guys, being that they are the Alabama of Football most of those guys if not all were top 50. The one and done makes impossible for talent to be spread out the way it used to be. I hate that people feel like MA hasn't recruited well because I feel he has done a decent job for his system. Other than Portis we haven't had any elite recruits, but I think his system is based on development. Guys like Qualls, Durham, Bell, and even Madden (who improved dramatically his last 2 years at Ark) show his method works. This off season was just terrible bad luck. We lost 2 superstars to the draft surprisingly, We lost Williams to suspension (who would've been a big help with his high post passing and mid range shot), Babb to transfer (a lengthy guard who could play the 3 and shoot), and Kapita( who's country didn't get his transcript over in time). I'm not sure if we can say he can't recruit, now if the question is can he recruit like Coach K or Coach Cal the answer is of course not.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:59:03 am
i think one can improve technique. He seems like a great kid and a workhorse. Bro, sign up with a reputable shot doctor and become a full player. Practicing bad habits doesn't improve results much at all. He needs to focus on it hard this offseason. With help.

HawgHeadCheese

UK isn't sending these guys to the league, their hoop mixtapes are.

HoopS

We did just have two guys leave early for the draft ourselves.

MountieDawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 28, 2016, 08:56:32 am
Less than 24 hours after we beat the #5 team in the country, a team that was seen as dead in the water showing life, still in position for a post-season.  You want to tell people not to be happy?  Save the "we should expect more" spiel too.

Can you say HOUSTON DALE NUTT....  Lose games you shouldn't get one big win and keep everyone happy...
SEC!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 08:11:40 am

I agree since Polythress has been there he really hasn't improved. It's crazy you mentioned him because I was watching them play the other day thinking if he was here at Arkansas he would be a star instead he is coming off the bench at KY. Cal get a little too much credit.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 09:11:43 am
Can you say HOUSTON DALE NUTT....  Lose games you shouldn't get one big win and keep everyone happy...

Not the same at all.

Captain Morgan

It's pretty sad that our students and fans are so arrogant about 22 years ago that they won't storm the court after beating the no 5 team in the nation.

We are not the program to not celebrate that win in a glorious way. When I saw the court not yet to h stormed I couldn't believe it.

Fans acting like they've been there before when realistically they haven't.

Nonetheless, after Wofford in the tournament and Kentucky in Rupp Arena; this is Michael Anderson's third best win as Arkansas coach. I have to admit I'm shocked by the arrogance of the fans in BWA. The court should have been stormed but our fans think they too good for that.  >:( >:( >:(

Swinesong1

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:17:21 am
It's pretty sad that our students and fans are so arrogant about 22 years ago that they won't storm the court after beating the no 5 team in the nation.

We are not the program to not celebrate that win in a glorious way. When I saw the court not yet to h stormed I couldn't believe it.

Nonetheless, after Wofford in the tournament and Kentucky in Rupp Arena; this is Michael Anderson's third best win as Arkansas coach. I have to admit I'm shocked by the arrogance of the fans in BWA. The court should have been stormed but our fans think they too good for that.  >:( >:( >:(
In the SEC, schools get penalized when fans storm the court.

wheelspigharvey

You officially can't be satisfied.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:38:05 am
Mike has this team right where most people thought it would be, on pace for 17 or 18 wins and a spot on the NIT bubble. They have 12 games left and they have to go 8-4 to get to 18 wins.

I honestly thought they would be a lot worse.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2016, 08:50:41 am

Beard 62%
Kouassi 60%
Thompson 59%
Miles 50%
Watkins 42%

Thompson, Kouassi, Miles, and most of the games even Watkins are never in the game during clutch moments.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on January 28, 2016, 08:57:09 am

It makes no sense to me. There is one thing he should focus on all offseason, and that is shooting. So why did he come back worse (or no better) this season? I just don't get it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:38:05 am

NIT bubble in year 5 of a $2.2 million coach's tenure? Unacceptable and embarrassing.

Breems

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 28, 2016, 07:25:45 am
MA has never run a system that has been known to put guys in the league or prepare them to be there.

People still believe this?

The only "systems" ran in college basketball that consistently get players to the NBA are the recruiting systems ran by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and other powerhouse schools.

Recruit NBA players and you will send players to the NBA. Already proven here at Arkansas, and even with Mike in charge. Done deal. History. Toast.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Biggus Piggus

I certainly did not expect Arkansas to be as competitive as it has this season.

Did not expect Anthlon Bell to be making 47% of his threes and average 3 treys per game. Did not expect Bell to add a halfway respectable short-range game. Did not expect him to become one of the best ballhandlers in college basketball. Did not expect Bell to up his rebounding game.

It surprised me - after watching Moses Kingsley flop around last season - that he would become a serious inside force, with a bigtime inside scoring, rebounding, and shotblocking game. The guy made enormous strides. Signs of really effective coaching and development.

Never expected Jabril Durham to become one of the best passers in college hoop, while also becoming one of the best defensive guards.

And Dusty Hannahs has been a surprise with his all-around effective offensive game and good ballhandling. Hannahs shot 37% from 3-pt range, about 40% inside the arc at Texas Tech, playing a subordinate role. With much more defensive attention, Hannahs has sharply increased his shooting accuracy while maintaining low turnovers.

If the Hogs could get somebody else (Whitt, Beard, Watkins, Thompson) to make similar progress, this team would win more of these close games. This roster was never intended to be this incomplete, and it took a lot to go wrong for it to get that way.

Nothing that has happened -- losing six nonconference games, losing to LSU-UK-UGa -- diminishes the likelihood that Arkansas will be very good next season. And the development of certain players directly rebuts many of the incessant criticisms people have ranted about MA on this board over the years.

I've seen it ever since Nolan's first season. Some fans -- who are attached to a certain conventional style -- can't stand how this system works.

This system allows certain things to happen that are must-stop, primary points of emphasis for conventional basketball. This system is trying to accomplish certain things, one of those to intentionally get opponents to take shots from spots and at times they're not used to. Contrary to the normal, practiced flow of their offense.

People try to coach the team about crap like blocking out and stopping the dribbler, not knowing what the system is supposed to be doing. Sometimes it's true that some player isn't doing what he's supposed to be, but not because he forgot his blocking-out technique or man stance or other darn that fan-coaches think they know.

With the right players, this system will work great again. And it's right to wonder whether MA can get and keep his team manned with the right players.

MA is not going to completely change things up for a one-season optimization of style with roster. He has an eye on next year and the year after. Even though this team's playing a style that begs for more depth - the style + the progress of the best players is what's getting the Razorbacks into so many close games against good opponents.

Mike Anderson might never be a top 20 recruiter, but he's a very competent basketball coach. If you can't see that, you're looking at it the wrong way.
[CENSORED]!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jdunhog on January 27, 2016, 10:09:00 pm

Nothing you can do sometimes on what you have coming back because of early exits for the Pros but there is a lot you can do with those you bring in.  Kentucky, Duke and many other schools face early exits all the time but are ready.  That is my problem here.  CMA is a good person.  He is a good coach.  He is an decent recruiter.  He is good at a lot of areas but not really great at nothing. 

Now the issue is where can a good coach/recruiter  take our program.    IMO from looking at his past jobs he will win the SEC and take us to a elite 8 once every 5 to 10 years.   Is that enough to keep the fan base happy?     We will see.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2016, 09:23:18 am
In the SEC, schools get penalized when fans storm the court.

Who cares? That's the price of winning big games. Our pants aren't big enough to act like we're too good to celebrate and storm the court. The laid back atmosphere goes too far.

Any other .500 program would have a better celebration after beating no 5 but our fans have their noses stuck in the air. We're not a good enough program to act that way. >:(  >:( >:(

code red

Em hm....well he can't swing and miss on recruits...to get where we need to be.  Furthermore, NIT appearances are not our expectation.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TomBigBeeHog

The fans have been there for 30 years and running. That's the last time SHaggie got a win in Arkansas.

As far as the SHaggies #5 ranking, we know they are frauds dating back to our SWC dealings so it was our duty to expose them as such, and we did. Mission accomplished.

Never acknowledge a SHaggie. Great job fans.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 09:32:23 am
Who cares? That's the price of winning big games. Our pants aren't big enough to act like we're too good to celebrate and storm the court. The laid back atmosphere goes too far.

Any other .500 program would have a better celebration after beating no 5 but our fans have their noses stuck in the air. We're not a good enough program to act that way. >:(  >:( >:(
Did you storm the court last night?