Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Culture of Losing

Started by ShadowHawg, January 26, 2016, 09:42:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

code red

Quote from: WBOBO on January 26, 2016, 06:11:04 pm
Hawgball was destroyed the day the NCAA came out with the rule eliminating the hand check on the back.  Modifications need to be made to the old Hawball.  Zone traps still work great but not with 6'2 guards trying to implement it.  Last year when Qualls and Madden would immediately trap on smaller guards it was effective.  We simply don't have the athletic type guys this year to pull off this successfully.
Recruit..no problem even with the rules.  JUCOs probably not going to get it done...but we will see.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HogBreath

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 26, 2016, 01:04:18 pm
Maybe I should've put quotes on "boring brand of basketball".  I was a student when Stan Heath had his last three years.  I had a great time going to the SEC tournament with the runs he would put on late in the season.  It was exciting.  I was in the band, and we would play "The Heat(h) is On" for him when he came back out for his post game radio interview.  I still remember hearing some people sing "Stan Heath is gone" to the same tune after that Tennessee loss. 

Many fans were upset seeing a guy with personality on the other sideline winning with a brand of basketball that was more in line with what they felt like the Hogs should be running. 
I always have felt like Heath got dealt a real crappy hand.  Seems most have forgotten he took over a program that Nolan had burned to the ground on his way out.

I realize his players were poor students, but I'd have to figure that's a constant theme thru out college basketball.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hulk hog

Wow.  If there are people on her wishing we had given Stan Heath more time....doesn't that say a lot about where we are at as a program.  :o
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hulk hog on January 26, 2016, 08:27:45 pm
Wow.  If there are people on her wishing we had given Stan Heath more time....doesn't that say a lot about where we are at as a program.  :o

There aren't.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Danny J

Quote from: code red on January 26, 2016, 06:45:05 pm
Recruit..no problem even with the rules.  JUCOs probably not going to get it done...but we will see.
Yeah...hard to sustain success when you are constantly turning over your roster every year. We pick up a transfer every year and have players transfer out every year to go along with all the graduations and early departures. Here is the problem I think we run into in recruiting. We want to have a good season so we can then recruit. Well....we had that last year and it did nothing for us except bring in the worst class in the SEC.

We went 27-9...went to NCAA....played in SECt game only losing to very good UK team...had SEC player of the year....won more road games in the SEC since our national title year and most importantly built a brand new bad to the bone practice facility.

If you can't sell that ^^^^ to recruits I am not sure what will. It all starts on the recruiting trail and getting some talented recruits to buy into what we are selling. 

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Danny J on January 26, 2016, 09:05:23 pm
Yeah...hard to sustain success when you are constantly turning over your roster every year. We pick up a transfer every year and have players transfer out every year to go along with all the graduations and early departures. Here is the problem I think we run into in recruiting. We want to have a good season so we can then recruit. Well....we had that last year and it did nothing for us except bring in the worst class in the SEC.

We went 27-9...went to NCAA....played in SECt game only losing to very good UK team...had SEC player of the year....won more road games in the SEC since our national title year and most importantly built a brand new bad to the bone practice facility.

If you can't sell that ^^^^ to recruits I am not sure what will. It all starts on the recruiting trail and getting some talented recruits to buy into what we are selling.

Over and over objective posters on here have questioned Anderson's recruiting. There's always excuses for that too from the Anderson Syphocant Army. If any other coach with another name was recruiting as poorly Jump Ball would be calling for his termination. Fact is Anderson is connected to an era long ago and gets a pass because of 22 years ago. I really am not a fan of the Anderson Syphocant Army because he can do no wrong to them. Saint Michael Anderson they would call him.

Nonetheless, the Anderson Syphocant Army is worse than the critical posters.  ;)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 27, 2016, 09:42:48 am
Syphocant

Yeah. You know what that word means. That's why you misspelled it three times in a row.
[CENSORED]!

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 26, 2016, 10:58:10 am
Again, using history as the best indicator or future performance, what made you or anyone else believe that this season should have made for a post season run?

You are cherry picking. The loss of BOTH Qualls and Portis doomed this season's roster whether Kapita had made it, Jacorey Williams hadn't been dismissed, and Babb stayed.

None of those guys are difference makers and as I pointed out, when we lose our difference makers, the next season is a bust all times but ONE.

Maybe you should have looked at the historical performance of our program BEFORE forming your opinion.
You missed a season there where the turnaround wasn't so bad. After the 91-92 season we lost 3 NBA first round picks, the next season we were in the sweet 16. Recruiting matters, and the times where Nolan's team bombed out after losing the best players was coincidently after his recruiting had become a shell of what it was earlier.........

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 27, 2016, 09:42:48 am
Over and over objective posters on here have questioned Anderson's recruiting. There's always excuses for that too from the Anderson Syphocant Army. If any other coach with another name was recruiting as poorly Jump Ball would be calling for his termination. Fact is Anderson is connected to an era long ago and gets a pass because of 22 years ago. I really am not a fan of the Anderson Syphocant Army because he can do no wrong to them. Saint Michael Anderson they would call him.

Nonetheless, the Anderson Syphocant Army is worse than the critical posters.  ;)

Actually if he was having losing seasons (which he has yet to have one). Then people would call for his termination. Every year he has increased our win total except for this one. His coaching sometimes is frustrating to watch, but he has yet to have a losing season and has made the program better every year he has been here. We were a terrible program for a very long time. Is Mike Anderson a great coach? I don't think so, but he is a good coach and has built Arkansas into a more respectable program than what it was for over a decade before he came.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Captain Morgan

The issue tonight vs the Gators was the guards half court defense was not good. Guys were getting blown by and MK had to rotate over to prevent easy guard layups. This in turn caused guys like Egbunu and Finney Smith to be having a free basket under the net. This was also an issue as MK had foul trouble because he a one Egbunu were getting physical in the paint.

The defense looks like the issue this year with the four guard lineup Michael Anderson puts out there. The rebounding was not very good but you can't have 6'3 and 6'4 guards boxing out 6'8-6'11 guys in the paint. The rebounding is bound to not work. I liked the effort from Thompson when MK was having to sit down for Foul Trouble. We have to recruit some big men is what tonight showed me.

Those announcers tonight were awful. They called Anderson's team a young team. Do what? Is Beard or Watkins the only underclassmen that start? Its a bunch of juniors and seniors that play. SEC network has to improve their broadcasting crews.

Loved the effort and this Anderson team had fight. Problem is they are having trouble winning on the road. Must win a road game of two or you can kiss the NIT goodbye. And trust me, we all need postseason basketball.

intelligence

i said it before in the game thread, and i'll say it again. if this was a pelphrey team we would have laid down and had a good bleed.
if this was a heath team we would have never been in it and never approached being in a position to tie or take the lead.

Mike Anderson is bringing a winning attitude to Arkansas basketball. this year was a step back, but next year should be a leap forward, i'd bet dollars to donuts on it.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: intelligence on February 03, 2016, 09:49:06 pm
i said it before in the game thread, and i'll say it again. if this was a pelphrey team we would have laid down and had a good bleed.
if this was a heath team we would have never been in it and never approached being in a position to tie or take the lead.

Mike Anderson is bringing a winning attitude to Arkansas basketball. this year was a step back, but next year should be a leap forward, i'd bet dollars to donuts on it.

Cake donuts? Those are the best. I am pretty sure we are going to take a big leap forward based on what I am seeing. These guys keep chipping away no matter what happens on the court.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hobhog

Quote from: intelligence on February 03, 2016, 09:49:06 pm

WTH?

cityhog

Hogball/40 minutes of hell/fastest 40 needs to go the way of the old slobbering hog at mid-court. Into the history books. Remembered fondly but move on from it.

cityhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 03, 2016, 10:12:03 pm
Cake donuts? Those are the best. I am pretty sure we are going to take a big leap forward based on what I am seeing. These guys keep chipping away no matter what happens on the court.
Last time I checked we were 11-11 and 4-5. Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and hydrogen bombs.

TomBigBeeHog

After every loss, the vultures come in to pick the bones.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

cityhog

After 11 loses you'd think there wouldn't be much meat left on the bones.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: cityhog on February 03, 2016, 10:39:10 pm
After 11 loses you'd think there wouldn't be much meat left on the bones.

What could 11 lose that would make him eat all of the meat off of the bones? Whatever it was, he must have worked up a hell of an appetite looking for it.

hobhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 03, 2016, 10:36:14 pm
After every loss, the vultures come in to pick the bones.

Yet you hang.....?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: cityhog on February 03, 2016, 10:30:25 pm
Hogball/40 minutes of hell/fastest 40 needs to go the way of the old slobbering hog at mid-court. Into the history books. Remembered fondly but move on from it.

I agree with this. Because we slap and grab arms that fits the refs making calls against us. Hand checking is actually a dirty form of basketball but no one will admit it. When you slap guys in the face and shoulders that's not classy basketball.

I agree this style of basketball is outdated unless you have college superstars. Sorry, not enough of those guys on this 2016 team. Anderson Should recruit half court personell and begin a new way of playing basketball but he's too stuck in his hand checking ways that I see it never happening.

jchill

I respectfully disagree with those who blame Mike. He addressed the issues through recruiting. Things just did not work out. That's how it goes in life. This year, CBB addressed needs at CB and LB. If the guys at the those positions do not work out, you cannot blame him. He did try. Also, it does not help that Florida became the new Ole Miss and flipped Putu. Sorry for getting off topic.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jchill on February 04, 2016, 11:19:33 am
I respectfully disagree with those who blame Mike. He addressed the issues through recruiting. Things just did not work out. That's how it goes in life. This year, CBB addressed needs at CB and LB. If the guys at the those positions do not work out, you cannot blame him. He did try. Also, it does not help that Florida became the new Ole Miss and flipped Putu. Sorry for getting off topic.

I don't blame Florida, I tried to flip a little putu last night myself.

majp51

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 26, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
I've seen nothing that would guarantee "we will be very good again very quickly".

It's year 5 and we are likely going to miss the postseason entirely, not sure where your confidence is coming from.

Guess we'll see but I hope you're right.

Arkansas Men's Basketball new slogan:

"Well Somebody has to be the Cubs of the NCAA!"

BRHogfan

You know we got no cornerbacks right?

azhog10

He also failed to address OLine, CB, and imo RB. Sure we got Whaley but we needed to RBs.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 01:47:06 pm
He also failed to address OLine, CB, and imo RB. Sure we got Whaley but we needed to RBs.

they did sign a guy out of Pine Bluff who can play RB. He also successfully recruited Kody Walker to come back and play his extra year granted by the NCAA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 01:52:10 pm
they did sign a guy out of Pine Bluff who can play RB. He also successfully recruited Kody Walker to come back and play his extra year granted by the NCAA.

I can't believe you actually are claiming Kody Walker coming back as a coup of some sort. Really tough to get a guy who has been on campus 5 years to come back and go to grad school for free.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on February 04, 2016, 01:52:10 pm
Who did they sign from PB? I see no signees from Pine Bluff, there may be a preferred walk-on but we did not sign someone from PB.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on February 04, 2016, 02:33:00 pm
Who did they sign from PB? I see no signees from Pine Bluff, there may be a preferred walk-on but we did not sign someone from PB.

i was referring to the Hammonds kid from LR, not PB. That was my mistake.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 02:06:32 pm
I can't believe you actually are claiming Kody Walker coming back as a coup of some sort. Really tough to get a guy who has been on campus 5 years to come back and go to grad school for free.

not claiming it as some sort of coup, just pointing out that though they only signed one player listed as RB, they do have the luxury of having a guy who toted a lot of mail last year coming back. It is not like DW is going to be the only back on campus.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BRHogfan

I know I got pulled in to it, but it's really stupid we're talking about football over here.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 04, 2016, 03:17:26 pm
I know I got pulled in to it, but it's really stupid we're talking about football over here.

Misery loves company.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawginbigd1

Anyone engaging in talking about FB v. BB recruiting and arguing BB is anywhere close is engaged in a foolish activity.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 04, 2016, 03:17:26 pm

That side of the argument came from Michael Anderson Syphocant Army.

I think football and basketball are two different areas. But some guys want to compare.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 04, 2016, 03:34:03 pm
Misery loves company.

Talk about guards just blowing by our guards. I believe this is all coaching. Miss State can even get a McDonald's All American in Malik Newman and Michael Anderson wants to get JUCOs and transfers.  :puke: :puke: :puke:

lynbug

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 10, 2016, 09:20:19 am
Talk about guards just blowing by our guards. I believe this is all coaching. Miss State can even get a McDonald's All American in Malik Newman and Michael Anderson wants to get JUCOs and transfers.  :puke: :puke: :puke:

Very good point.  The reason MA has had to settle for jucos and transfers is because lately he hasn't been able to get the top state recruits.  And I think part of the reason for that is because of some of these "cultures" we have discussed.  I think there are several "cultures" in place at the current time....culture of mediocrity, culture of total inconsistency, culture of half-empty Bud Walton, culture of not getting top in-state recuits.....It's a vicious cycle that everyone wants stopped, but we're not the ones who should be racking our brains.  Someone making a couple million should be spending a lot of time on a recruiting rotation schedule.....just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 26, 2016, 03:35:47 pm
Yep.  And...the people who wanted their Hawg Ball back aren't about to admit that hiring Mike was a mistake no matter what, thus the excuses and lowered expectations.

It is hard for me to believe how little Razorback fans expect from their athletic programs these days.

Yep.  Extremely hard for us blue hairs who grew up before participation trophies were the measure of success.

intelligence

The Arkansas Loserbacks, thats what we should change our mascot to.

We are a pathetic sports college. we have no pride in any sports. this young man says it best:

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on February 11, 2016, 08:49:06 am
Yep.  Extremely hard for us blue hairs who grew up before participation trophies were the measure of success.

Relevant!

hobhog

Quote from: intelligence on February 11, 2016, 02:46:30 pm

We are a pathetic sports college. we have no pride in any sports. this young man says it best:

If basketball team finishes HALF as well as football team did I will be happy..........

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: cityhog on February 03, 2016, 10:30:25 pm

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 09:46:14 am
I agree with this. Because we slap and grab arms that fits the refs making calls against us. Hand checking is actually a dirty form of basketball but no one will admit it. When you slap guys in the face and shoulders that's not classy basketball.

I agree this style of basketball is outdated unless you have college superstars. Sorry, not enough of those guys on this 2016 team. Anderson Should recruit half court personell and begin a new way of playing basketball but he's too stuck in his hand checking ways that I see it never happening.

Agree with you both. If we are to say we now have a culture of losing, I would say part of the reason we have that culture is because we continue to embrace a style of play that is less appealing to recruits, less effective, and produces diminishing results.

You'd figure folks might want to change the culture. Nope. Not here! Now, in fairness, we did try with Heath, Altman's brief cup of coffee stop, and Pel. It wasn't hog ball though. We couldn't just let hog ball lie there outside BWA and have a good bleed back when the Gladiator-esque "Are you not entertained?" banners should have been put in place to hide the empty upper deck seats. So, we brought hog ball back inside BWA.....so it could be surrounded by friends and family as part of having a more comfortable place to have a good bleed.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Captain Morgan

Quote from: intelligence on February 11, 2016, 02:46:30 pm

It wouldn't be so bad if Michael Anderson's team finishes as strong as the football program. And CBB isn't afraid to replace his assistants either ;)