Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 10:19:27 pm

NIT?

Started by HawgLife4Eva, January 24, 2016, 11:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

shown006

Yes.  UALR and Arkansas have never played.  Arkansas St played the Hogs in Barnhill in Nolan's 2nd year (some say had the Hogs lost, Frank would've fired Nolan).  Stephan Moore elbowed ASU's Brad Goshein (ASU's starting 2 guard) in the head knocking him out of the game, and the Razorbacks went on a double digit run late in the game to pull it out by 3.  Back then, there was no replay so Moore only got a normal foul.....no Technical or Flagrant or anything like that, which would be called in today's game, and history was made.
WPS!

Hogsfan1981

Hopefully we can do some good in the SEC tournament this year.

I'll admit though that I did not get really excited about the win. It is a great win for the team and of course I love watching A&M lose.

I just have a hard time like most fans getting excited when the season was almost over before it started.

But we knew what this season would be. Still sucks though. A&M will bounce back and most likely go deep into the tournament.

Meanwhile, I hope we keep winning and getting experience for next year. Alright, back to the recruiting forum. 

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 24, 2016, 01:14:46 pm
We turned down the NIT one year when Heath was here, when the threat of playing UALR then was very real. I bet we'd turn it down again.

I doubt it. We clearly could use it with the experience, and that was a different time & a different AD.

yraciv

And for reference point, last year, the following teams got in:
Vanderbilt   SEC   19–13 (9-9) - End of Season RPI: 101
Alabama   SEC   18–14 (8-10) RPI: 84
George Washington   A10 21–12 (10-8) RPI: 83
Arizona State Pac–12         17–15 (9-9) RPI: 102

Prior to the win tonight our RPI was 116, and the conference was 5th. Obviously that is rising a bit after tonight.  Do any of those RPI's seem out of reach to you considering all but 2 teams left on our schedule are in the top 105?

And let's break down our bad losses and their RPI:
Akron - 80
GT - 72
@Wake -78
Mercer -121
@LSU - 82
@UGA - 77

So in summary, no just awful losses. Lots of questionable, close losses, but no bad loss to bring the resume down.  I'd say 10-8 in conference gets us in the conversation, especially considering our BPI is 57.  Depends on a lot of things, but there is a spot for us if we continue to play pretty well and win a couple more big games.  The SEC kicking some Big 12 ass this weekend would also help.

Atlhogfan1

Easiest Remaining Games

Updated Win Odds

2/20  Missouri Home  87.9%
2/17  Auburn Home  84.5%
2/6  Tennessee Home  73.4%
1/30  Texas Tech Home  69.5%
2/23  LSU Home  66.8%
3/5  S Carolina Home  63.8%
2/13  Mississippi Away  52.6%
2/9  Miss State Away  52.6%
3/2  Alabama Away  50.1%
2/27  Tennessee Away  44.6%

Home games have some nice win opportunities to add to tonight's.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NuttinItUp

We certainly have a much better chance now that we beat the Aggies.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 28, 2016, 12:31:33 pm
We certainly have a much better chance now that we beat the Aggies.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say that it was pretty close to our only chance, unless we do something REALLY crazy from here on out.  We needed that game badly, and it's likely still not going to be enough.  BUT...at least it shows we can compete when we play well, so we're not a world away from getting back on track. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PORKULATOR

I thought coming into the season, we'd win 18 games and make the NIT. That was my goal. Until we win streak a little and get another quality win, I'm still disappointed. Missed FTs have lost at least 2-3. They fall under inexcusables in my book.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 27, 2016, 10:10:25 pm
Easiest Remaining Games

Updated Win Odds

2/20  Missouri Home  87.9%
2/17  Auburn Home  84.5%
2/6  Tennessee Home  73.4%
1/30  Texas Tech Home  69.5%
2/23  LSU Home  66.8%
3/5  S Carolina Home  63.8%
2/13  Mississippi Away  52.6%
2/9  Miss State Away  52.6%
3/2  Alabama Away  50.1%
2/27  Tennessee Away  44.6%

Home games have some nice win opportunities to add to tonight's.

Where did those win odds come from?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 05:14:18 pm
Where did those win odds come from?

teamrankings.com  - Probably changed a little since last posted. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 05:14:28 pm
teamrankings.com  - Probably changed a little since last posted.

Thought maybe they came from your Atlanta bookie.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 05:17:20 pm
Thought maybe they came from your Atlanta bookie.

I quit a long time ago.

lynbug

Quote from: PORKULATOR on January 29, 2016, 05:04:07 pm
I thought coming into the season, we'd win 18 games and make the NIT. That was my goal. Until we win streak a little and get another quality win, I'm still disappointed. Missed FTs have lost at least 2-3. They fall under inexcusables in my book.

Realistically, the fact that we're even talking about NIT, last four out, best 10-loss team in the country...............should be encouraging considering that most of our players were, for the most part, bench warmers last year, except for Beard (late in the year), and Miles resting Portis.  Yes, I know proper recruiting would have mitigated damages, but I guess we just take the positives wherever we can find them.

BadHog

Quote from: lynbug on January 29, 2016, 08:32:14 pm
Realistically, the fact that we're even talking about NIT, last four out, best 10-loss team in the country...............should be encouraging considering that most of our players were, for the most part, bench warmers last year, except for Beard (late in the year), and Miles resting Portis.  Yes, I know proper recruiting would have mitigated damages, but I guess we just take the positives wherever we can find them.

Realistic you say.........?

proper recruiting?

mitigated damages?

Watching a little downton abbey lately?

Please, elaborate......
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

lynbug

Quote from: BadHog on January 29, 2016, 11:11:16 pm
Realistic you say.........?

proper recruiting?

mitigated damages?

Watching a little downton abbey lately?

Please, elaborate......

I certainly don't think there is anything UNREALISTIC about anything I said.  In fact, there has been much debate about the things I mentioned.  AGAIN, merely voicing my feelings at the time......And YES..... I do watch Downton Abbey.  I hate that you have a problem with me because I like anyone who's a hog fan.  I'll reread some of your posts and try to brush up on my redneck language. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on January 27, 2016, 09:34:29 pm
Hopefully we can do some good in the SEC tournament this year.

I'll admit though that I did not get really excited about the win. It is a great win for the team and of course I love watching A&M lose.

I just have a hard time like most fans getting excited when the season was almost over before it started.

But we knew what this season would be. Still sucks though. A&M will bounce back and most likely go deep into the tournament.

Meanwhile, I hope we keep winning and getting experience for next year. Alright, back to the recruiting forum.
Those are fair statements. However, it sure hasn't kept people from overreacting to each and every loss.

TikiHog

Rawker

Quote from: hobhog on January 24, 2016, 11:52:02 am
Who cares? Seriously.

This forum can definitely be retarded, but this is among the most turd-laden things written on the boards. Hannahs' expression after the TT game, along with the 14,000 screaming fans at the game, who at least momentarily forgot what the teams overall postseason chances were, could speak to just how mindless that question is.  Seriously. 

wheelspigharvey

Even if fans aren't showing up in droves, I think the basketball team is in the "if you build it" mood.  They know about Dusty and Moses, and getting some justice against the state of Texas has helped.  If you give the average would be fan something to buy into, I think they will be happy to do it.

SRV

I thought after the TAMU game that we could go 18-15 and get into the NIT. If my math is right, that would be 17-14 and then 1-1 in the SEC Tournament. I understand that the NIT is not the yearly goal, but I think it would be huge for this team, this year.

Woo pig!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigalphahawg on February 02, 2016, 08:37:35 am
I thought after the TAMU game that we could go 18-15 and get into the NIT. If my math is right, that would be 17-14 and then 1-1 in the SEC Tournament. I understand that the NIT is not the yearly goal, but I think it would be huge for this team, this year.

Woo pig!

There's another thread going, I think making the NIT is the same as making a non-marquee bowl mathematically speaking.  I agree it's not ideal but it would be an accomplishment in a year where we had some guys who needed to grow into their roles fast.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigalphahawg on February 02, 2016, 08:37:35 am

Woo pig!

NIT is certainly better than nothing at all. NIT is more development time for the returning players and a chance to build momentum going forward. We saw this two years ago (yes, I get that we're talking about being right back in the NIT two years later).

I would consider the NIT a pretty solid victory for this team.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2016, 08:39:58 am
NIT is certainly better than nothing at all. NIT is more development time for the returning players and a chance to build momentum going forward. We saw this two years ago (yes, I get that we're talking about being right back in the NIT two years later).

I want more for Jabril and Bell, guys who have really done a lot for the program in terms of upping the guard play.  Maybe if we make the NIT we can play our way to the Garden.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2016, 08:39:58 am

No one is happy about the NIT. However, most of us were hoping/expecting to be in the NIT. I don't think CMA is happy with knowing that's where we are headed, but I think he has to be happy with how the boys have played in the midst of everything that happened in the offseason.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 02, 2016, 08:48:44 am
I want more for Jabril and Bell, guys who have really done a lot for the program in terms of upping the guard play.  Maybe if we make the NIT we can play our way to the Garden.

I think this team would make a better showing in the NIT than the last one. They laid an egg in that second round game. I would love to see them get some post season experience to build on for next season.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jjdlc

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 02, 2016, 10:04:31 am
I think this team would make a better showing in the NIT than the last one. They laid an egg in that second round game. I would love to see them get some post season experience to build on for next season.

I agree, this team still has trouble closing out close games, but so far, they have played reasonably well on the road.

gmarv

the nit would be good for this team. beard, whit ,Thompson even hannahs and kingsley can use as many games as they can get. then we can see how much better they are next year.i think they can be a pretty good team next year.

Nipsey Mussle

No, I don't need any "Year 5 and hoping for NIT" type of whining, we can see that in every other thread. I just want to gauge others' opinions on what it will take to make the NIT. These players deserve some form of postseason, as they have played with maximum effort despite the results.

hobhog

Who cares? NIT? Really?

Nipsey Mussle

ShadowHawg

Practically win them all.

hobhog

rude1

After 22 games I think we have seen enough to believe this team is what its record says it is, a .500 basketball team. It will take a miracle for NIT...........

azhog10

I'll get smited but I've been absolutely impressed by this team. Not much has gone their way but they continue to battle. At home, on the road, in SEC play they have really played their tails off. Missed a few shots here, a couple bad turnovers there, and 7 losses by 4 or less points. That's a tough way to go out and when you get into 2 possession games absolutely anything could have changed the outcome. With this group as a coach you've done about all you can do. Players got to play.

Atlhogfan1

Easiest Remaining Games

Bettor's site projections:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/arkansas-razorbacks/projections
Win Odds

2/20  Missouri Home  90.4%
2/17  Auburn Home  87.4%
2/6  Tennessee Home  74.6%
3/5  S Carolina Home  65.7%
2/23  LSU Home  65.5%
2/9  Miss State Away  52.3%
2/13  Mississippi Away  51.2%
3/2  Alabama Away  50.5%
2/27  Tennessee Away  46.0%

I don't think 6-7 wins is a stretch by any means.  That isn't exactly a gauntlet of a schedule.  Would be a good seed in SECT with a chance for a win or two there.  18-20 wins after SECT and see where we are.  SC and LSU would be decent wins.  Still missing a good road win. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 10:55:48 pm
After 22 games I think we have seen enough to believe this team is what its record says it is, a .500 basketball team. It will take a miracle for NIT...........
Really, a miracle? Best I can tell, our RPI is 88-ish after losing to UF. Didn't Vandy get in last year with mid 80s rpi? I feel pretty good that 6-3 and 1 SecT win gives us a chance. Or maybe you think doing that is a miracle, which is more understandable lol

hobhog

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2016, 11:00:33 pm
I'll get smited but I've been absolutely impressed by this team. Not much has gone their way but they continue to battle. At home, on the road, in SEC play they have really played their tails off. Missed a few shots here, a couple bad turnovers there, and 7 losses by 4 or less points. That's a tough way to go out and when you get into 2 possession games absolutely anything could have changed the outcome. With this group as a coach you've done about all you can do. Players got to play.

Sigh.......

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 11:02:32 pm
Easiest Remaining Games

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/arkansas-razorbacks/projections
Win Odds

2/17  Auburn Home  87.4%
2/23  LSU Home  65.5%
3/2  Alabama Away  50.5%

I don't think 6-7 wins is a stretch by any means.  That isn't exactly a gauntlet of a schedule.  Would be a good seed in SECT with a chance for a win or two there.  18-20 wins after SECT and see where we are.  SC and LSU would be decent wins.  Still missing a good road win.

Good grief.

Ok I'll play. If we don't accomplish your projected acceptable finish then what?

rude1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 03, 2016, 11:04:40 pm
Really, a miracle? Best I can tell, our RPI is 88-ish after losing to UF. Didn't Vandy get in last year with mid 80s rpi? I feel pretty good that 6-3 and 1 SecT win gives us a chance. Or maybe you think doing that is a miracle, which is more understandable lol
We have won ONCE away from home, there are 4 road games remaining plus have to play LSU and SC at home. Hard for me to imagine any scenario that doesn't leave us right at that .500 level and  no NIT.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 11:02:32 pm
Easiest Remaining Games

Win Odds

2/17  Auburn Home  87.4%
2/23  LSU Home  65.5%
3/2  Alabama Away  50.5%

Interesting win %, I think we have a reasonable chance of going 6-3 over that schedule. Do you think 6-3 and 1 SecT win, gets us in? I'm glad we have at least looked respectable on the road, although we can't seem to get over the hump.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 11:10:37 pm
We have won ONCE away from home, there are 4 road games remaining plus have to play LSU and SC at home. Hard for me to imagine any scenario that doesn't leave us right at that .500 level and  no NIT.
We have played a lot better away from home than in year's past (aside from last year), we just can't quite seal the victories. I know, I know, we can't possibly use context, but this isn't the team that got blown out by horrible teams on the road, like we had a few years ago.

I could see Lsu beating us at home, but USC-E doesn't scare me for some reason. Maybe it's their 147th SOS, I'm not sure, but I bet we beat them.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 03, 2016, 11:11:27 pm
Interesting win %, I think we have a reasonable chance of going 6-3 over that schedule. Do you think 6-3 and 1 SecT win, gets us in? I'm glad we have at least looked respectable on the road, although we can't seem to get over the hump.

I have no idea on the NIT. 

We play like we did tonight and I think there is a reasonable chance to win the home games and get one or two on the road.  Wouldn't be surprised if we win anywhere from 5 to 8.  Most will probably be close.  I do think we need to win an SECT game.  I'll see what the proj seeds are and who we may play.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on February 03, 2016, 11:10:37 pm

Our road schedule has been pretty brutal this year. We should have beaten Mercer in a neutral site game and didn't close out Stanford in another. Other than that we really haven't been blessed with playing anything more than TOUGH road games. I can't wait to see if we do better against Tenn, Bama, Miss St., and Ole Miss.

I think LSU will be hard to beat regardless of venue. I am not sold on SC. They would have lost by double digits at Ole Miss if Moody didn't pull a hamstring with 5 mins to go.

But I am with you about us being what our record says we are by this point in the season. .500 teams at this point of the season tend to stay that way regardless of what should or could be.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on February 03, 2016, 11:07:44 pm
Good grief.

Ok I'll play. If we don't accomplish your projected acceptable finish then what?

Slow down.  I didn't say anything about acceptable finishes.  The question was asked about NIT and I gave an optimistic guess on where we COULD end up.  It is a what if thread.  Just playing along. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 03, 2016, 11:11:27 pm

We could probably start guessing how the SEC is going to end up.

As far as your question about the Hogs making the NIT, I would think finishing in the top half of the conference is a must and getting to the 6th seed in the SECT would be big as that would allow them to likely avoid UK or A&M for a couple of games.  6th plays winner of 11-14 and then the 3rd seed.

A&M and UK probably will be the 1-2 seeds in some order.

Florida has a tough schedule left with trips to UK, LSU, SC and UGa and UK at home.  LSU is as tough with trips to UK, Ark, SC and Tenn.

SC and Vandy both get UK at home but Vandy has to play A&M twice.  SC already has a lead over them in the standings.

In some order, 1-5 A&M, UK, Fl, LSU and SC. 

Hogs may be battling UGa and Vandy for the 6-7-8 spots.  UGa has 5 road games including UK, Vandy and SC left and only 4 home games.  These are probably the NIT bubble teams.  Vandy really needed to win over Texas for an NCAAT chance.   

TikiHog

http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

this was before tonights loss...go to the bottom of the page

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TikiHog on February 04, 2016, 12:07:04 am
http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

this was before tonights loss...go to the bottom of the page

UALR a 12 seed.  Will be fun to see them back in again if they make it.

UGa and Vandy barely on bubble. 

Not much respect for the SEC's strength.  A&M a 2 but UK and Fl 7 seeds.  South Carolina a 9 and LSU first four out. 

Site looks reasonable as far as SEC teams although I think UK will be a higher seed and not sure UGa or Vandy will really be that close. 

Hogs firmly in NIT.  Bama in as well which seems like a stretch.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 03, 2016, 11:21:28 pm
Our road schedule has been pretty brutal this year. We should have beaten Mercer in a neutral site game and didn't close out Stanford in another. Other than that we really haven't been blessed with playing anything more than TOUGH road games. I can't wait to see if we do better against Tenn, Bama, Miss St., and Ole Miss.

I think LSU will be hard to beat regardless of venue. I am not sold on SC. They would have lost by double digits at Ole Miss if Moody didn't pull a hamstring with 5 mins to go.

But I am with you about us being what our record says we are by this point in the season. .500 teams at this point of the season tend to stay that way regardless of what should or could be.

ok im done listening to this crap everyone acting like LSU is some juggernaut with a pisspoor coach and 1 talented player...Guess what they beat us by a whole 2 on their home court. We wont lose that game at home. We beat A & M  @ home and were ultimate cupcake schedule. Tenn will be tough on the road we always play competively at bama both Miss teams suck. I could see us potentially going 7-2 or 8-1 down the stretch we get to 18 19 wins well be in nit they took a 16-15 St Bonaventure team just 2 years ago so just saying. Not sayin we will do that well down the stretch but I could see it. Were playing the easy part of conf schedule now toughest part over.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

3kgthog

We have no shot at the NIT. Even 20 wins wouldn't get us in. It's not the magic number it was in the 90s.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 04, 2016, 12:14:36 am

ok im done listening to this crap everyone acting like LSU is some juggernaut with a pisspoor coach and 1 talented player...Guess what they beat us by a whole 2 on their home court. We wont lose that game at home. We beat A & M  @ home and were ultimate cupcake schedule. Tenn will be tough on the road we always play competively at bama both Miss teams suck. I could see us potentially going 7-2 or 8-1 down the stretch we get to 18 19 wins well be in nit they took a 16-15 St Bonaventure team just 2 years ago so just saying. Not sayin we will do that well down the stretch but I could see it. Were playing the easy part of conf schedule now toughest part over.

LSU is coached horribly, but Simmons is a load and what makes him a nightmare matchup for us has nothing to do with what court the game is played on. You never know what LSU team is about to show up either. It's not like they suck and have no talent. They have a ton of talent. Talent can beat you on any given night regardless of venue.