Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NIT?

Started by HawgLife4Eva, January 24, 2016, 11:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 11:54:25 pm
We could probably start guessing how the SEC is going to end up.

As far as your question about the Hogs making the NIT, I would think finishing in the top half of the conference is a must and getting to the 6th seed in the SECT would be big as that would allow them to likely avoid UK or A&M for a couple of games.  6th plays winner of 11-14 and then the 3rd seed.

A&M and UK probably will be the 1-2 seeds in some order.

Florida has a tough schedule left with trips to UK, LSU, SC and UGa and UK at home.  LSU is as tough with trips to UK, Ark, SC and Tenn.

SC and Vandy both get UK at home but Vandy has to play A&M twice.  SC already has a lead over them in the standings.

In some order, 1-5 A&M, UK, Fl, LSU and SC. 

Hogs may be battling UGa and Vandy for the 6-7-8 spots.  UGa has 5 road games including UK, Vandy and SC left and only 4 home games.  These are probably the NIT bubble teams.  Vandy really needed to win over Texas for an NCAAT chance.   
Good call, getting the 6th seed could be big for our chances. If Moses avoids foul trouble, we'd have a solid chance of winning two games as that seed. I'm interested to see if LSU can keep climbing and get a 1 or 2 seed. They certainly have gotten better since their disastrous start to the season.
I think we at least go 3-2 over the next 5 games, if we can win a 50/50 game or two, we can take the 6th seed.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 04, 2016, 12:20:46 am
We have no shot at the NIT. Even 20 wins wouldn't get us in. It's not the magic number it was in the 90s.
LOL, Help me figure this out: Are you trolling or just stupid? I'm hoping for trolling, btw. If we go on to win 20 games this year, which of course is beyond doubtful, we definitely would be in the NIT. It's absurd to say otherwise. Our RPI is 88 according to what I just read, and Vandy got in with that same RPI last year.

elksnort

Quote from: azhog10 on February 03, 2016, 11:00:33 pm
I'll get smited but I've been absolutely impressed by this team. Not much has gone their way but they continue to battle. At home, on the road, in SEC play they have really played their tails off. Missed a few shots here, a couple bad turnovers there, and 7 losses by 4 or less points. That's a tough way to go out and when you get into 2 possession games absolutely anything could have changed the outcome. With this group as a coach you've done about all you can do. Players got to play.
I very much agree.  This is a strange Razorback basketball team. They're not VERY good, but they're not bad at all. They've only played lousy a couple times this year. They're lacking a player or two. I really hope they make the NIT.

HotlantaHog

We have no shot at the NIT. Even 20 wins wouldn't get us in. It's not the magic number it was in the 90s.
20 wins doesn't matter, but schedule and RPI do matter. Not sure where RPI would end up but I imagine 20 wins would make Hogs competitive for the NIT.

jry04

Comments like this make me laugh. Teams get into the NCAAT with 20 or fewer wins every year, but you are saying we have no shot at the NIT with 20? Why do people post this stuff as if it is fact? It just sounds silly.

Our current RPI is 88, and our current SOS is #14. Our SOS is about to take a hit down the stretch, but will still finish top 50. After the SECT it will likely finish top 40. Our non-conference SOS is currently #26. At 20-11 our #s are currently projected as follows:

RPI 50
SOS 45
OOC SOS 29
Record v Top 50: 2-5 with a win over a potential #1 seed depending on how A&M finishes.

That will get us in the NIT, and probably have us hosting our first game. To be completely honest with you, winning our last 9 games to get us to 20 wins would have us firmly on the NCAAT bubble. I would love to see the statistic on how many P5 teams with a top 50 SOS and top 50 RPI get left out of the NIT. I would be willing to bet there hasn't been a single team unless they told the NIT they would not be participating. Most years those #s get you in the NCAAT.

But let's be honest, it won't come to that.

I think our magic number for the NIT is 19 wins in any way to make the NIT. 17 in regular season and 2 in SECT, 18 in regular season 1 in SECT, etc...

yraciv

Last year the following teams got in the NIT:
Vanderbilt   SEC   19–13 (9-9) - End of Season RPI: 101
Alabama   SEC   18–14 (8-10) RPI: 84
George Washington   A10 21–12 (10-8) RPI: 83
Arizona State Pac–12         17–15 (9-9) RPI: 102

We're in no way a lock, but if we finish at 2 or 3 games over .500, we have a respectable shot depending on how conference tournaments go.

jry04

Quote from: yraciv on February 04, 2016, 08:13:18 am
Last year the following teams got in the NIT.
And for reference point, last year, the following teams got in:
Vanderbilt   SEC   19–13 (9-9) - End of Season RPI: 101
Alabama   SEC   18–14 (8-10) RPI: 84
George Washington   A10 21–12 (10-8) RPI: 83
Arizona State Pac–12         17–15 (9-9) RPI: 102

We're in no way a lock, but if we finish a 2 or 3 games over .500, we have a respectable shot depending on how conference tournaments go.
You are correct, and if we were to finish with 20 wins we would be an absolute lock for the NIT. The only question we would have if we finished with 20 regular season wins is whether we would play our way into the NCAAT during the SECT.

Dwight_K_Shrute

While the NIT is not what anyone wants it's a pretty good accomplishment for this team.  With 300+ D1 teams and only 68 spots for the NCAA less than 25% make the NCAA.  It is even more difficult because of the auto bids and with more low to mid major conferences getting multiple bids than ever before.

In contrast about 60% of FBS teams make a bowl with bowls having to scrape bottom of the barrel to fill spots. 

Even when we don't make the best possible bowl fans still turn out and still looked at as a good thing long term because of the extra practice and experience.

We should view basketball post season in the same way.  NIT is basically akin to the bowl that a 6-6 or 7-5 team gets.  Team will get extra practice.  Will most likely get an additional home game and hopefully a road game.  NIT will give you quality opponents as well.

Even if you are disappointed with the way this season is unfolding you should still care about the long term success of the program and want whatever is best for that.  If the kids earn an NIT bid and it will have to be earned on the court should be happy for them and proud of them. 

It's amazing that the OP posed a simple question on what it would take to get to the NIT and yet the negatives still have to chime in for the umpteenth time. 

I'm thinking they will go 7-3 down the stretch 1-1 in SEC tourney gets team to 19-15.  That should be good enough to get in.  But I thought the 2012/2013 squad should have gotten an NIT bid with 19-13 overall record.  Just shows how tough it is to get in. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 04, 2016, 08:27:43 am
While the NIT is not what anyone wants it's a pretty good accomplishment for this team.  With 300+ D1 teams and only 68 spots for the NCAA less than 25% make the NCAA.  It is even more difficult because of the auto bids and with more low to mid major conferences getting multiple bids than ever before.

In contrast about 60% of FBS teams make a bowl with bowls having to scrape bottom of the barrel to fill spots. 

Even when we don't make the best possible bowl fans still turn out and still looked at as a good thing long term because of the extra practice and experience.

We should view basketball post season in the same way.  NIT is basically akin to the bowl that a 6-6 or 7-5 team gets.  Team will get extra practice.  Will most likely get an additional home game and hopefully a road game.  NIT will give you quality opponents as well.

Even if you are disappointed with the way this season is unfolding you should still care about the long term success of the program and want whatever is best for that.  If the kids earn an NIT bid and it will have to be earned on the court should be happy for them and proud of them. 

It's amazing that the OP posed a simple question on what it would take to get to the NIT and yet the negatives still have to chime in for the umpteenth time. 

I'm thinking they will go 7-3 down the stretch 1-1 in SEC tourney gets team to 19-15.  That should be good enough to get in.  But I thought the 2012/2013 squad should have gotten an NIT bid with 19-13 overall record.  Just shows how tough it is to get in.

Yeah, the question isn't "do you like the NIT," the question is "how can we get in."  Threads abound for people to voice their displeasure at looking for an NIT bid.

TomBigBeeHog

We have a good shot. Need to win out at home and get one or two on the road.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jry04

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 04, 2016, 08:27:43 am

Good post, but one issue is we only have 9 games left. Finishing 19-15 is only possible at this point if we went 6-3 to finish 17-14, and then went 2-1 in the SEC.

Problem with the 2012 squad not getting a NIT bid is our SOS was in the 90s and our RPI was 99. Most assumed we would still get in because of our quality wins, but our RPI and SOS was not that good. This year at 19 wins our RPI and SOS would reflect that of a NCAAT bubble team more than a fringe NIT team. If we could beat someone like South Carolina or LSU down the stretch, while stealing a few road wins like @ Alabama or Miss State, then we would have a quality enough resume to likely host a NIT game with 19 wins. We need Vanderbilt to keep winning, too. As of right now, they are on the border of giving us a second top 50 RPI win. Evansville closing strong to the season and some how upsetting WSU in Arch Madness would be nice, too. They are currently a top 85 RPI team.

I think winning all of our homes games plus taking 2 of 3 @ MSU, @ Tennessee, or @ Alabama is doable to finish 18-13. That should be enough to get us in the NIT with 1 SECT win to be safe. Realistically, I think we should win every game left on our schedule except maybe LSU and @ Ole Miss. Although with Jones anything is possible against LSU.

RPI Forecast currently has our probability of winning each game higher than 50% for every game left except right at 50% at Tennessee.

Breems

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 03, 2016, 10:46:15 pm
No, I don't need any "Year 5 and hoping for NIT" type of whining, we can see that in every other thread. I just want to gauge others' opinions on what it will take to make the NIT. These players deserve some form of postseason, as they have played with maximum effort despite the results.
Quote from: hobhog on February 03, 2016, 10:51:36 pm
Who cares? NIT? Really?

Posters like this should be banned/punted from Jump Ball.

The OP clearly stated the intent of the thread and asked that we avoid copying/pasting the "NIT sucks" debate which is hashed out almost weekly elsewhere in Jump Ball.

The very first reply (likely a reaction to the thread title without bothering to read the post) was solely to instigate the rehashed discussion the OP was trying to avoid.

This is how garbage threads start. Cut the weeds by the roots.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2016, 08:55:58 am

The OP clearly stated the intent of the thread and asked that we avoid copying/pasting the "NIT sucks" debate which is hashed out almost weekly elsewhere in Jump Ball.

The very first reply (likely a reaction to the thread title without bothering to read the post) was solely to instigate the rehashed discussion the OP was trying to avoid.

they need 7 wins between not and the sec to make the nit. 7 wins would be a good strong finish, and should make them an attractive NIT team. At this point, it is the most realistic goal.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2016, 08:55:58 am

I have never used the "report to moderator" option. Let's see what happens....
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

JackMcQueen

I think we'll finish..

W vs. Tennessee
W at Miss State
L at Ole Miss
W vs. Auburn
W vs. Missouri
W vs. LSU
W at Tennessee
L at Alabama
W vs. South Carolina

That would put us at 18-13 (11-7), and make us a good NIT team, a win or two at the SECT would do us better.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: JackMcQueen on February 04, 2016, 09:37:44 am
I think we'll finish..

W vs. Tennessee
W at Miss State
L at Ole Miss
W vs. Auburn
W vs. Missouri
W vs. LSU
W at Tennessee
L at Alabama
W vs. South Carolina

That would put us at 18-13 (11-7), and make us a good NIT team, a win or two at the SECT would do us better.

I think we lose at Tennessee and finish 17-14. If we win 2 in the SEC tourney, we may get in the NIT at 19-15.

JackMcQueen

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 09:47:36 am
I think we lose at Tennessee and finish 17-14. If we win 2 in the SEC tourney, we may get in the NIT at 19-15.
Tennessee is a toss up to me, I think we have a better chance of winning there than at Alabama.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

Hawg Red

Quote from: JackMcQueen on February 04, 2016, 09:37:44 am
I think we'll finish..

W vs. Tennessee
W at Miss State
L at Ole Miss
W vs. Auburn
W vs. Missouri
W vs. LSU
W at Tennessee
L at Alabama
W vs. South Carolina

I'm with you pretty much. I think we'll win at Tennessee or Alabama, but probably not both.

jry04

Quote from: JackMcQueen on February 04, 2016, 09:48:39 am
Tennessee is a toss up to me, I think we have a better chance of winning there than at Alabama.
I am the opposite, but woudn't be surprised either way. 

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: gmarv on February 02, 2016, 01:04:55 pm
the nit would be good for this team.

Little Rock just won #20. Would the Hogs decline going to the NIT if it meant playing the Trojans?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on February 04, 2016, 09:33:02 pm
Little Rock just won #20. Would the Hogs decline going to the NIT if it meant playing the Trojans?

You mean like when we played Arkansas St?

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 04, 2016, 09:36:42 pm
You mean like when we played Arkansas St?

Right. Players might want to, but would the administration go for it?

jry04

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on February 04, 2016, 09:33:02 pm
This team needs the extra work, badly. We wouldn't turn it down. I am rooting for UALR this year, but even if they beat Arkansas they wouldn't get ANY home state recruits over us. If any quality players in the state of Arkansas have an offer from UA and want to stay in the state, then they will be choosing UA regardless of the success UALR is having at this point.

With that said, I am not so sure UALR would beat us. They are having a remarkable season, but haven't played a very good schedule. They lost by double digits to Texas Tech earlier this year, but I realize in college basketball more than any sport you cannot compare scores.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: jry04 on February 05, 2016, 07:43:35 am
With that said, I am not so sure UALR would beat us.

I don't think it is a given by a long stretch. Your bigs would cause LR all sorts of problems. But unless the administration's policy has changed since the Days of Frank, that game will never happen, anyway.

jry04

Another thing to consider is 2 teams who likely would be in the NIT this year will now be in the NCAAT with the exclusion of SMU and Louisville. That frees up two spots that wouldn't have been available, therefore creating two spots in the NIT that typically would not have been available. While it creates more opportunities for teams who probably wouldn't have had a shot, it makes the bubble teams weaker for each tournament.

Captain Morgan

Looking harder and harder with each road game

hobhog

hogman99

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2016, 09:21:06 pm
CBI?

How about pick up games in the new Basketball Practice Facility? Plus they can watch March Madness from the players lounge.

Captain Morgan

CBI?

Jeff Long would be an idiot to turn down the CBI. It would be similar to when Heath was the coach and Broyles had his nose stuck up in the air about being too good for the NIT. Long turning down the CBI would be similar snobness

Atlhogfan1

This only counts as one loss.  Win the home games and get one on the road. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2016, 09:25:50 pm
This only counts as one loss.  Win the home games and get one on the road.

Good grief......I think he's serious.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2016, 09:27:18 pm
Good grief......I think he's serious.

I'm trying to be positive. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2016, 09:29:28 pm

Admirable. This game will test even the most optimistic of the optimistic.

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2016, 09:29:28 pm
Hard to be positive after watching now the 4 out of 5 years CMA has been coach that our team struggles away from BWA. Struggles is an understatement.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on February 09, 2016, 09:37:09 pm
Hard to be positive after watching now the 4 out of 5 years CMA has been coach that our team struggles away from BWA. Struggles is an understatement.

Most of his career.   Road blowouts have not been uncommon. 

alohawg

Arkansas not even good enough for the Not Invited Tourney.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Sharky

I still think we're an NIT team. We are just so dang streaky.

hobhog

Quote from: Sharky on February 09, 2016, 10:30:21 pm
I still think we're an NIT team. We are just so dang streaky.

😐

Captain Morgan

To turn down the CBI would be cowardly and a slap in the face for all the student athletes in the basketball program that want to play post season basketball.

mjsphd

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 09, 2016, 10:34:29 pm
To turn down the CBI would be cowardly and a slap in the face for all the student athletes in the basketball program that want to play post season basketball.

Really can't recall, but have any SEC teams accepted CBI bids in recent years?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: mjsphd on February 09, 2016, 10:37:28 pm
Really can't recall, but have any SEC teams accepted CBI bids in recent years?

Well that's a perfect reason to be the first.

hobhog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 09, 2016, 10:34:29 pm

Let the seniors vote then. You may be surprised....

Iwastherein1969

I hear Parkers Chapel is having a 'semi-pro' tournament in the latter part of March for local YMCA teams...maybe a week in El Dorado playing in a tournament at Parkers Chapel will wake this team up...or maybe they can even pitch tents around the Parkers Chapel High school gym and rough it for a while...I'll donate a case of pork n' beans for the guys and some wal mart bottles of water and maybe even the 88 cent a loaf of bread...now that's the high life
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

This thread needs to die immediately
Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 24, 2016, 11:45:55 am
Since the NCAA tournament seems to be out of reach this season--How many more do we have to win to have a chance to get to the NIT?

AirForceHog

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 24, 2016, 12:59:02 pm
UALR might be going to the NCAAs.

However, if it did happen, I think they would go and play.

When was the last time they played? I know they played several years ago in the NCAA tournament.

Simple no name conference. Of course they might go.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: AirForceHog on February 09, 2016, 11:41:33 pm
UALR might be going to the NCAAs.
However, if it did happen, I think they would go and play.
When was the last time they played? I know they played several years ago in the NCAA tournament.
\\

Little Rock last went to the NCAA in 2011. Before that it was 1990 back in the old TAAC days

HawgLife4Eva

CBI?

Besides the NCAA and NIT, there are:

College Basketball Invitational (CBI): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Basketball_Invitational
CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament
Vegas 16 (new this year): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_16

The CollegeInsider.com tournament is apparently more geared towards mid-major teams, but we might have a shot at the other two if we miss out on the NIT.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on February 11, 2016, 06:55:12 pm
Besides the NCAA and NIT, there are:

College Basketball Invitational (CBI): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Basketball_Invitational
CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament
Vegas 16 (new this year): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_16

The CollegeInsider.com tournament is apparently more geared towards mid-major teams, but we might have a shot at the other two if we miss out on the NIT.

Participating teams in the CBI have to pay $35k per game to host the early home games, then $70k and up in later rounds.

It's not worth that money to play insignificant games against insignificant competition.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jbcarol

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit  (Updated yesterday b/4 the LSU game)

Also considered (in ABC order): Albany, Arkansas, ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net