Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby P/ Moses Kingsley

Started by HogsBalls, January 05, 2016, 09:46:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsBalls

I am enjoying watching Moses play this year. Bobby P left his thumb print on the program by showing guys what it looks like to work hard and improve. Kingsley clearly watching Bobby and saw how hard he worked and how much better he got. The hard work that Kingsley has put in is paying off this year for sure.

Swinesong1

HogsBalls

Players are often times motivated by the success of other players they are not by a coach telling them what they need to improve on.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 05, 2016, 11:11:33 pm
Players are often times motivated by the success of other players they are not by a coach telling them what they need to improve on.
Orrrrrrr...saying Anderson develops players goes against the Jump ball narrative?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 05, 2016, 11:21:16 pm
Orrrrrrr...saying Anderson develops players goes against the Jump ball narrative?

He just saw how Portis played!!! No way Arkansas coaches had anything to do with his development.

King Kong

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 05, 2016, 11:25:58 pm
He just saw how Portis played!!! No way Arkansas coaches had anything to do with his development.

Yep, and Bobby Portis's improvement here was because he saw himself do it?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 05, 2016, 11:25:58 pm

And Bobby P was just as good in High School as when he left. No coaching involved there. Let's keep this Hogville real!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 05, 2016, 11:21:16 pm
You do understand it's that easy right? Watch a guy long enough and eventually you become as good as he is/was.

HogsBalls

What I'm saying is Kingsley developed the same work ethic as Portis. He saw how hard he had to work to improve. The coaches can open the gym and assist all they want to, but it's up to the player to work on his craft.

JayBell

I don't know what anyone was watching to not think Kingsley was capable of this.  Anderson's insistence on never playing Portis and Kingsley together kept him from showcasing his abilities more the last two years.

I lost my mind in a Buffalo Wild Wings last season when Kingsley took a steal and dribbled the length of the court for a fast break dunk.  I'm like, "That's our backup!"

All credit to Anderson for developing players.  Portis is far from the only example: Bell, Qualls, Clarke, Madden, Durham, etc.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 08:47:15 am
I don't know what anyone was watching to not think Kingsley was capable of this.  Anderson's insistence on never playing Portis and Kingsley together kept him from showcasing his abilities more the last two years.

I lost my mind in a Buffalo Wild Wings last season when Kingsley took a steal and dribbled the length of the court for a fast break dunk.  I'm like, "That's our backup!"

All credit to Anderson for developing players.  Portis is far from the only example: Bell, Qualls, Clarke, Madden, Durham, etc.

I think Mike Anderson does a great job at developing talent as well. Ex: Durham who I thought was a wasted scholarship last year is looking like a totally different player.  For some reason people don't like to give MA credit.

JayBell

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 06, 2016, 09:25:49 amI think Mike Anderson does a great job at developing talent as well. Ex: Durham who I thought was a wasted scholarship last year is looking like a totally different player.  For some reason people don't like to give MA credit.

There's a difference in not giving MA credit and calling him out for his faults.  You can give credit to Anderson for his development for players, as I have, and still be beside yourself about how poorly he has managed the roster the last two seasons.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 09:28:37 am
There's a difference in not giving MA credit and calling him out for his faults.  You can give credit to Anderson for his development for players, as I have, and still be beside yourself about how poorly he has managed the roster the last two seasons.

This wasn't a thread about how he has mismanaged our roster. It was a thread about how much Kingsley has improved. However, I will disagree with you about how "poorly he has managed the roster". Last year we saw what happened when you have a few superstars on your team. They leave college early and that's just not in the benefit of our program. I realize that MA is a coach who get the above average recruits and tries to get them to develop to the fullest. We aren't a elite program so having 2 guys leave for the draft early and another suspended knocks us off track.

HawgnCorona

Speaking of development...Bobby Portis is coming along nicely. Im sure some read article already but for those who have not here you go.

And Kingsley is coming along too.

Hoibergs thought on BP...

"He's a good one," Hoiberg said. "He's one of those kids that's fun to coach because he's physical, he loves a challenge, he doesn't back down from anybody and he's only 20 years old. He's got an extremely bright future. We're lucky to have him."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605399-bobby-portis-finally-earning-stripes-with-chicago-bulls-in-rookie-season

Enjoy! It is a great read.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogman99

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 05, 2016, 09:46:47 pm
I am enjoying watching Moses play this year. Bobby P left his thumb print on the program by showing guys what it looks like to work hard and improve. Kingsley clearly watching Bobby and saw how hard he worked and how much better he got. The hard work that Kingsley has put in is paying off this year for sure.

Just think if Anderson would have played them together last year. Portis at the high post and Kingsley at the low post.  If they would have worked/coached that combo together they would have been great.  However, I forgot CMA only wants one good player down low and one good player on the outside.  :-\

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogman99 on January 06, 2016, 10:53:41 am
Just think if Anderson would have played them together last year. Portis at the high post and Kingsley at the low post.  If they would have worked/coached that combo together they would have been great.  However, I forgot CMA only wants one good player down low and one good player on the outside.  :-\

We sucked every time they played together except the UT game at home.

hogman99

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2016, 10:55:19 am
We sucked every time they played together except the UT game at home.

That is because they didn't practice them together and there was not chemistry built.  That is what many on here fail to understand. CMA put Moses in there on a couple occasions and was lost because they didn't work it in during practice. CMA didn't do anything to help that combo grow.  BP is much better than Thompson and Kingsley and Thompson seem to work well together because they work together in practice. Just think if that same effort was emphasized by the coaches with Portis and Kingsley.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hogman99 on January 06, 2016, 10:53:41 am

Every game those guys played together they didn't look good and if we played Kingsley and Portis, who comes off the bench to play the 5? In case we forgot after Kingsley and Portis, 6'8" anti physical Jacorery Williams was our next biggest guy. Also, like we've seen a few times this year, Moses has trouble with fouls. We should just stick to spectating and let MA do the coaching.

JayBell

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 06, 2016, 11:15:28 amEvery game those guys played together they didn't look good and if we played Kingsley and Portis, who comes off the bench to play the 5? In case we forgot after Kingsley and Portis, 6'8" anti physical Jacorery Williams was our next biggest guy. Also, like we've seen a few times this year, Moses has trouble with fouls. We should just stick to spectating and let MA do the coaching.

Ah, the zero-sum lineup argument.  Just because you play them together sometimes doesn't mean you have to play them together all the time.  They can be together on the court at the same time for 5-8 minutes without needing to rest them both at the same time.

I always LOL at this excuse: "Every game those guys played together they didn't look good," as if it happened more than half a dozen times last year.

hogman99

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 06, 2016, 11:15:28 am
Every game those guys played together they didn't look good and if we played Kingsley and Portis, who comes off the bench to play the 5? In case we forgot after Kingsley and Portis, 6'8" anti physical Jacorery Williams was our next biggest guy. Also, like we've seen a few times this year, Moses has trouble with fouls. We should just stick to spectating and let MA do the coaching.

So you are saying players can only play one position and you must sub them at the same time? How about if you need to rest one, then you put the other down low at that time. That is what you call coaching and game management.  You obviously don't understand the game of basketball with the statements you made above.

I guess we will never know what could have been, but after watching Kingsley and Thompson working so well together one has to wonder what Kingsley and Portis would have been like together.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogman99 on January 06, 2016, 11:00:45 am
That is because they didn't practice them together and there was not chemistry built.  That is what many on here fail to understand. CMA put Moses in there on a couple occasions and was lost because they didn't work it in during practice. CMA didn't do anything to help that combo grow.  BP is much better than Thompson and Kingsley and Thompson seem to work well together because they work together in practice. Just think if that same effort was emphasized by the coaches with Portis and Kingsley.

You really think Thompson and Moses are working that week together? We are 7-7. They are playing together because we don't have any other options.

Last year we won 27 games. And Moses is much better this year than last year.

JayBell

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2016, 11:57:32 amYou really think Thompson and Moses are working that week together? We are 7-7. They are playing together because we don't have any other options.

You think the team won 27 games last year because of Alandise Harris?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 12:04:25 pm
You think the team won 27 games last year because of Alandise Harris?

I think we won more games playing Harris by Portis than we would have with Moses playing beside him.

JayBell

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2016, 12:41:59 pmI think we won more games playing Harris by Portis than we would have with Moses playing beside him.

I'm not buying that at all.  Arkansas lost more than one game last season when they were hammered on the boards and could not force enough turnovers to compensate for it.

hogman99

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2016, 11:57:32 am
You really think Thompson and Moses are working that week together? We are 7-7. They are playing together because we don't have any other options.

I guess I should say they are working better than expected. Thompson does a good job of passing from the high post to the low post.  Now just think how much better it could have been with Portis at high post. He is a better player who can not only pass the ball, but has the ability to shoot and drive.

JayBell has explained the rest.

Virgil

I've been very impressed and really surprised by Kingsley.  I'd be lying if I said otherwise. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

JayBell

Quote from: hogman99 on January 06, 2016, 03:01:57 pmI guess I should say they are working better than expected. Thompson does a good job of passing from the high post to the low post.  Now just think how much better it could have been with Portis at high post. He is a better player who can not only pass the ball, but has the ability to shoot and drive.

It's my fault for bringing it up.  It's just one of those things that sticks with me.  Kingsley is exceeding expectations, but I felt like his potential was very obvious since he arrived on campus.

hogman99

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 03:21:25 pm
It's my fault for bringing it up.  It's just one of those things that sticks with me.  Kingsley is exceeding expectations, but I felt like his potential was very obvious since he arrived on campus.

Agree. It's a shame he and Portis didn't get a proper chance to showcase their skills together.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 01:07:08 pm
I'm not buying that at all.  Arkansas lost more than one game last season when they were hammered on the boards and could not force enough turnovers to compensate for it.

Believe what you want. MA teams will alway get hammered in the boards. That's what his style does. Moses and Portis didn't play well together. No better example that against UNC were they played together in a Zone and left a UNC player wide open for a 3 that helped put UNC up double digits late.

But MA put then in at the same time to help get rebounds and it back fired.

I get it everyone thinks is sounds so simple. Noah and Horford, Robinson and TD. It sounds great. Much harder to execute.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 05, 2016, 10:34:58 pm
No credit to Anderson?
Shouldn't that be implied from his post? Probably not going to happen without some coaching involvement!

Also most people are probably looking at his points/offensive production as being his big improvement, but it isn't! His big improvement is on the defensive end, you tally up his points v. minutes last year are probably close to where he is right now per minute played. He has had some offensive moves and his shot has always been smooth. he is playing at least a 100% better on the defensive end of the floor.

Swinesong1

Wasn't obvious to the Jump ball coaches.  Did you read some of the things being said about him on here?  Now, all of a sudden, those same people are saying he was being wasted last year.  Even tho he was a bum until now ( according to them).

bphi11ips

Arkansas has been notorious for its failure to develop projects in the post.  Moses Kingsley's game has been transformed in the space of a year like none other I can think of.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

azhog10

Moses has improved greatly, but all you have to do is look at his FT% to see his improvement and shut your mouth about this whole "he's always been this good" argument. Moses went 65% his first year, 62% his second year, and is shooting almost 75% this year. That's a HUGE jump and shows just how much he has improved this year from last. He couldn't shoot the ball well at all last year. This year he is up in every statistical category when you look at it based of a per minute scale. So if he was this good last year you would think that maybe he is just putting the same ratio out there per minute. But he's not.

JayBell

Quote from: azhog10 on January 07, 2016, 06:43:29 amMoses has improved greatly, but all you have to do is look at his FT% to see his improvement and shut your mouth about this whole "he's always been this good" argument. Moses went 65% his first year, 62% his second year, and is shooting almost 75% this year. That's a HUGE jump and shows just how much he has improved this year from last. He couldn't shoot the ball well at all last year. This year he is up in every statistical category when you look at it based of a per minute scale. So if he was this good last year you would think that maybe he is just putting the same ratio out there per minute. But he's not.

I am rubber and you are glue.  You shut your mouth! 

Sorry.  I wanted to join you in middle school.

Anyway, I never once said he was this good last year.  I said he is exceeding expectations.  All I have ever said is that the potential was always there.  You can check my post history (which is under a different name).  I'm not one of those people who claimed Kingsley was terrible last year and have reversed this season.

My point is that he could have improved a bit more in the last two years and it would have benefited the team if Anderson had not been so rigid in his system and actually worked two of the team's best players onto the court together.

azhog10

Quote from: JayBell on January 07, 2016, 08:39:42 am
I am rubber and you are glue.  You shut your mouth! 

Sorry.  I wanted to join you in middle school.

Anyway, I never once said he was this good last year.  I said he is exceeding expectations.  All I have ever said is that the potential was always there.  You can check my post history (which is under a different name).  I'm not one of those people who claimed Kingsley was terrible last year and have reversed this season.

My point is that he could have improved a bit more in the last two years and it would have benefited the team if Anderson had not been so rigid in his system and actually worked two of the team's best players onto the court together.
You act as though Moses was never "worked in". He started 4 games last year and as I said before he never showed signs of being able to shoot the ball the way he has. He actually at times would never even look at the rim as the confidence in his shot wasn't there. Defensively Portis and Kingsley weren't great off the ball as they both loved to try and block shots and had a tendency to leave their man. I'm glad Kingsley put in the work to refine his game and it's showing but to insinuate that he's always been able to do this, or that you always expected him to be able to do this seems odd when there is no statistical proof to support it.

HogsBalls

Tell me I was wrong about Kingsley. He been watching that Portis tape.

daprospecta

Quote from: azhog10 on January 07, 2016, 03:15:11 pm
You act as though Moses was never "worked in". He started 4 games last year and as I said before he never showed signs of being able to shoot the ball the way he has. He actually at times would never even look at the rim as the confidence in his shot wasn't there. Defensively Portis and Kingsley weren't great off the ball as they both loved to try and block shots and had a tendency to leave their man. I'm glad Kingsley put in the work to refine his game and it's showing but to insinuate that he's always been able to do this, or that you always expected him to be able to do this seems odd when there is no statistical proof to support it.
Moses has always had a mid range jumper but I don't remember him being able to create his own shot.  I can remember him catching the ball and shooting jumpers while open last year but never creating off the dribble etc.

SONofHAM

@RazorbackMBB tweeted this earlier.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

LRHawg

I'm here to eat some crow. Kingsley's improved. Hope he keeps it up.

Nipsey Mussle

This staff has been really good at developing players. Not just Moses and Bobby, but Bell, Durham, Qualls, etc..  While part of that is coaching, it is also not accomplished without the work being put in by those players. Major kudos to Moses for the huge strides he has made.
While OP overstates Bobby's role in player development, it is most definitely a big help that your best player have the work ethic that BP displays regularly.

Nipsey Mussle

Didn't expect to be asking this, but odds Moses goes pro after this season?

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 06, 2016, 08:24:54 am
What I'm saying is Kingsley developed the same work ethic as Portis. He saw how hard he had to work to improve. The coaches can open the gym and assist all they want to, but it's up to the player to work on his craft.

Why do the coaches have to get up off their @ss to open the gym?  Just give each player a key and sleep in...

Biggus Piggus

Ken Pomeroy's site generates all-conference teams based on individual player stats. For the SEC, his system names Moses Kingsley as an all-SEC player, top big man in the league.

But of course, all great players should go to Kentucky.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

The Team looked pretty solid against the Zoo.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 13, 2016, 07:51:41 pm
Didn't expect to be asking this, but odds Moses goes pro after this season?

They have to be increasing. Still isn't getting a lot of buzz by the NBA media yet, though. That usually comes from scouts talking about a player. We'll see how that shakes out after we play LSU and Kentucky coming up.

Hawg Red

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 04, 2016, 04:06:58 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25471266/nba-draft-big-board-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-vie-for-no-1

Sam Vecenie had Moses at like #64 on his last Big Board, but he's dropped him to #89 on this newest one.

Moses still has a lot to prove as far as the NBA goes. I think Bud Walton will be a great place for him to launch himself into the conversation next year. He still needs to add an assortment of go to post moves on offense and add a little more physicality to his game, among other things.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Foshodo

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 04, 2016, 04:12:53 pm
Moses still has a lot to prove as far as the NBA goes. I think Bud Walton will be a great place for him to launch himself into the conversation next year. He still needs to add an assortment of go to post moves on offense and add a little more physicality to his game, among other things.

SEC player of the week and barely miss a double double and he drops like that? dang...

ergh... quoted the wrong one

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 04, 2016, 05:11:51 pm #48 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:23:47 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
I see Moses being here next year I don't see anyway him leaving. But if for some reason he is thinking about it MA better do his best sales job ever to get him to stay... He could be out of a job after would be a rough 2016-2017 season without him.

husker71

Does anybody know if they have the equivalent to what used to be the Pete Newell camp for Big Men???  I know some send the players to Akeem  but not sure if that is just (for college players) a volunteer deal.  I would guess when the pro rookies go down to Houston some money is exchanged, but maybe not.