Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey Thompson

Started by WilsonHog, December 23, 2015, 11:22:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

This young man has improved greatly. In 21 minutes on the floor last night, he had seven rebounds, five assists, and a steal, with no turnovers.

The_Iceman

He is an excellent passer for a big man. Real high Bball IQ.

PonderinHog

Willy did some good things, too, after they both pretty much disappeared against Mercer.

Hard to compare the two games due to no TV for Mercer.

Hawg Red

Trey has been much better than I thought he'd be. I've been really impressed with him this season and I'm interested to see what he does with more minutes if Miles has to miss time.

cypress rock

He played great defense last night. Very active.

Atlhogfan1

The passing and ball handling was impressive from the big men last night.  The team looked well prepared on the offensive end.  Coach knew he had a size advantage and broke out the high low Nolan used at times some on them. 

"Our guys did a good job of attacking the basket, getting the ball inside," Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said. "We took advantage of what we had, and that was a size advantage."

Will reserve some judgment and praise for Thompson's progress till he actually plays teams with frontcourt players.  Last night wasn't it.  That kind of rebound and overall interior play domination won't happen often.  The positive was Kingsley and Thompson weren't athletically overwhelmed by smaller, quicker players.  Showed nice hands and skills. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daBoar

Two for two from the free throw line, too. :)

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 23, 2015, 11:50:04 am

Will reserve some judgment and praise for Thompson's progress till he actually plays teams with frontcourt players.  Last night wasn't it.  That kind of rebound and overall interior play domination won't happen often.  The positive was Kingsley and Thompson weren't athletically overwhelmed by smaller, quicker players.  Showed nice hands and skills.
May have had size but their bugs weren't garbage. The Beech kid had 31 against LSU, and another high scoring game against Louisville. The Daniels kid also played well against Louisville and LSU.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on December 23, 2015, 02:16:13 pm
May have had size but their bugs weren't garbage. The Beech kid had 31 against LSU, and another high scoring game against Louisville. The Daniels kid also played well against Louisville and LSU.

6-8 210 who plays on the perimeter quite a bit. 
8-12 from 3 vs LSU
4-7 from 3 vs Louisville

Daniels 6-7 195

These aren't bigs.  It is why I gave the Hogs bigs some credit for doing well against smaller and more athletic players. 

Thompson 6-9 250

Hogs did a good job last night switching on the perimeter especially in the second half. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

If Arkansas can get production from the 4 position from Miles and Thompson this team may surprise some people. Miles played a good game last night with 9 boards and making shots around the rim.

I particular like Thompson upside as a Razorback. He's proven that he is willing to work on his body and all he need is confidence. This kid was once a highly rated player.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Danny J

I hope he starts to shoot more from the FT line and up. He can be a good zone buster with his height, passing ability and he has a pretty good shot. So I hope CMA encourages him to shoot more.

TheRazorback500

He's a great passer for a big guy. He usually gets it in to Kingsley right where he needs it, and sets up the outside shooters well. We should see improvement in his low post moves as he gains experience.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Pork Twain

He is what a few thought he could be but most said he couldn't be.  Very happy with the work he has put in and the results.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

klp1

Danny is right.  if Thompson starts hitting 15-17 foot jumpers on a consistent basis, the middle will really open up in this offense. He's really coming along. He going to be a real nice player for us for his JR and SR years

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 24, 2015, 05:45:04 am
He is what a few thought he could be but most said he couldn't be.  Very happy with the work he has put in and the results.

That's the absolute truth. And I was one that thought he might not amount to much. Glad to see him prove me dead wrong. At best, I thought we'd start to see what we are seeing this year next year. Some of that is circumstance but he came in and busted his tail to drop a bunch of weight right away. The instincts are there and the passing ability is there. Very nice development. Just another reason that we must put the notion that the staff can't develop big men to rest.

onebadrubi

One of my biggest gripes of MA these recent years has that he has full control of is him not redshirting Thompson. 

NorthChuckHog

I know in bball you usually don't redshirt unless you transfer or get hurt, but CMA should've redshirted Trey last year. He hardly play and didn't get any experience. He basically wasted a year.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 24, 2015, 05:45:04 am
Let me guess, he could've done this last year too but never got the opportunity right?

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 23, 2015, 02:30:54 pm
6-8 210 who plays on the perimeter quite a bit. 
8-12 from 3 vs LSU
4-7 from 3 vs Louisville

Daniels 6-7 195

These aren't bigs.  It is why I gave the Hogs bigs some credit for doing well against smaller and more athletic players. 

Thompson 6-9 250

Hogs did a good job last night switching on the perimeter especially in the second half.
Regardless your assumption, they play the 3-5 and scored big against really good teams. We kept them from scoring like that and that's all there is to it. LSU and Louisville couldn't.

bigred223

I'd like to see Trey get a little more aggressive offensively.

mhuff

The long and short of the matter is Kingsley and Portis should have been playing together last year with Thompson subbing. That way we would have been playing from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness. That way Kingsley and Thompson would have been better prepared for this year . Babb should have been played as well . Such a waste of talent as I have said before. Kingsley and Thompson have been better this year as I said they would be. The shame of the matter is they were good last year as well.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on December 25, 2015, 02:55:19 pm
The long and short of the matter is Kingsley and Portis should have been playing together last year with Thompson subbing. That way we would have been playing from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness. That way Kingsley and Thompson would have been better prepared for this year . Babb should have been played as well . Such a waste of talent as I have said before. Kingsley and Thompson have been better this year as I said they would be. The shame of the matter is they were good last year as well.

Who's minutes were you going to take?

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on December 25, 2015, 02:58:04 pm
Who's minutes were you going to take?

Just concerned with winning and losing. Qualls would still have fit in that line up. Williams would have given up minutes . Different line ups for different tasks. We did not use our talent wisely . Portis and Kingsley could have played a good high - low as they did on the Wings . Wasn't that a national championship they won together . Thompson's passing skills could have been used as well. The fundamentals were there.

Gotta go. How are the hurricane doing this year ?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: mhuff on December 25, 2015, 03:38:24 pm
We did not use our talent wisely .

Wisely enough to win 27 games. Most wins in 20 years. Not wise? How foolish is that?  ???
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

mhuff

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 25, 2015, 03:58:02 pm
Wisely enough to win 27 games. Most wins in 20 years. Not wise? How foolish is that?  ???

It's called making the most out of your talent and not losing after the first round of the NCAA's. We could have had a better team. Not seeing that Portis was not a center is what is foolish . Not having the proper line up against a tall team and shooting outside for like 3- 30 is stupid
Too many apologists for poor decisions.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on December 25, 2015, 04:09:42 pm
It's called making the most out of your talent and not losing after the first round of the NCAA's. We could have had a better team. Not seeing that Portis was not a center is what is foolish . Not having the proper line up against a tall team and shooting outside for like 3- 30 is stupid
Too many apologists for poor decisions.

It's easy to sit here a year later and make these decisions. If I remember correctly, you and I both had some reservations on whether Trey was SEC quality. I think redshirting might have been better, but he definitely benefited from a year on the Hill and dropped some weight and increased his quickness. Now, would I have played BP and Moses together a little more, sure, but I think MA saw them as one guy with 10 fouls and Moses to give Bobby his breathers.

mhuff

December 25, 2015, 05:41:54 pm #27 Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:12:10 pm by mhuff
Quote from: ricepig on December 25, 2015, 04:18:27 pm
It's easy to sit here a year later and make these decisions. If I remember correctly, you and I both had some reservations on whether Trey was SEC quality. I think redshirting might have been better, but he definitely benefited from a year on the Hill and dropped some weight and increased his quickness. Now, would I have played BP and Moses together a little more, sure, but I think MA saw them as one guy with 10 fouls and Moses to give Bobby his breathers.

I agree that MA viewed Kingsley as a back up to Portis. That's where he weakened our team. IMHO. What do I know about anything or the announcers to our games that said the same thing. The same song I have been singing for two years. I don't remember saying anything about Thompson not being ready. I have said that he should have been on the floor all along. I also agree that he would have been better playing at a lighter weight. I have seen him play I the last five years.

I complemented MA for playing more inside outside than in the past. Do you not see the benefit in the last two games. Getting the ball inside worked well while other games that we have lost we shot too many outside shots. I said before the season started that we would get out brains beaten out if we tried shooting the three too much. You score inside first --- then outside . It helps to loosen things up .

Dominicanhog

it never ceases to amaze me at the abundance of coaching talent we have on Hogville.. we are truly blessed.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: mhuff on December 25, 2015, 02:55:19 pm

Did you watch the games last season? Portis and Kingsley were paired together early in the season and it didn't work!!!

mhuff

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 26, 2015, 06:27:12 pm
Did you watch the games last season? Portis and Kingsley were paired together early in the season and it didn't work!!!

Wonder how much time they practiced together playing in the same line ups. Results would have been skewed there were so few together. Portis was not a center. The announcers said it as well. They probably knew a little basketball. It was only the apologists that say different.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: mhuff on December 26, 2015, 08:44:56 pm
Wonder how much time they practiced together playing in the same line ups. Results would have been skewed there were so few together. Portis was not a center. The announcers said it as well. They probably knew a little basketball. It was only the apologists that say different.

Last season Kingsley did not have a mid range jumper and was not a strong low post finisher. He struggles at times finishing through contact this season. MA had to go with Harris and Portis last season.

GuvHog

Quote from: mhuff on December 25, 2015, 05:41:54 pm
I agree that MA viewed Kingsley as a back up to Portis. That's where he weakened our team. IMHO. What do I know about anything or the announcers to our games that said the same thing. The same song I have been singing for two years. I don't remember saying anything about Thompson not being ready. I have said that he should have been on the floor all along. I also agree that he would have been better playing at a lighter weight. I have seen him play I the last five years.

I complemented MA for playing more inside outside than in the past. Do you not see the benefit in the last two games. Getting the ball inside worked well while other games that we have lost we shot too many outside shots. I said before the season started that we would get out brains beaten out if we tried shooting the three too much. You score inside first --- then outside . It helps to loosen things up .

I said last year that Portis should have been playing the 4 spot and Kingsley the 5 spot and I still believe that. Harris was decent at the 4 but didn't turn out to be the force that some thought he would be.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 26, 2015, 06:27:12 pm

That's because they weren't used to playing together. It takes playing time to mesh but Mike didn't give them that time in non-conference play.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mhuff

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 27, 2015, 01:40:06 am
Last season Kingsley did not have a mid range jumper and was not a strong low post finisher. He struggles at times finishing through contact this season. MA had to go with Harris and Portis last season.

" Sure "

mhuff

Quote from: GuvHog on December 27, 2015, 12:01:08 pm
That's because they weren't used to playing together. It takes playing time to mesh but Mike didn't give them that time in non-conference play.

Not practice

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: GuvHog on December 27, 2015, 12:01:08 pm
That's because they weren't used to playing together. It takes playing time to mesh.

They spent at least two years/summers playing together for the Wings, and won an AAU title playing together in 2012. Considering how close of friends they were before coming to campus, being familiar with one another was the least of their issues as a duo.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

nwahogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 24, 2015, 02:13:55 pm
One of my biggest gripes of MA these recent years has that he has full control of is him not redshirting Thompson.
I have expressed that same opinion and the responses I get back is nobody redshirts bb players anymore.  I don't agree especially for big men.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 27, 2015, 12:28:26 pm
They spent at least two years/summers playing together for the Wings, and won an AAU title playing together in 2012. Considering how close of friends they were before coming to campus, being familiar with one another was the least of their issues as a duo.

Well I agree ,but I never saw anything much that resembled a dedicated effort to use their strengths while playing together . Thompspn's passing skills could also have been used

rude1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 27, 2015, 01:40:11 pm
I have expressed that same opinion and the responses I get back is nobody redshirts bb players anymore.  I don't agree especially for big men.
The problem is if you are red shirting a player then he is a project for sure, and if that guy doesn't develop into a regular rotation player you have effectively locked down a roster spot for 5 years if you don't run the player off.

The_Iceman

Over the last two games he has a combined:

9 points, 10 rebs, 3 asts, 4 blocks, 2 steals in 36 minutes of play.

Really impressed with his development.

Hawg Red

His 9 rebounds Saturday were a career high.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2016, 11:12:04 am
Over the last two games he has a combined:

9 points, 10 rebs, 3 asts, 4 blocks, 2 steals in 36 minutes of play.

Really impressed with his development.
and ten fouls?   ;)

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

Rawker

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 25, 2015, 03:58:02 pm

Jeeeeez.  Thank you.  I was reading that load of pooh and almost replied with the same.  Besides - and perhaps you (mhuff) weren't actually watching the games - MA did indeed play Kingsley and Portis simultaneously on occasion, and contrary to what I personally thought along with everyone else, it simply didn't work.  Moses looked uncomfortable and confused as to his position in that situation, so it had to be one or the other, and you couldn't sit the SEC POY because Moses looked like someone who was getting better.  The result?  The SEC POY, Qualls, and the supporting cast helped the team to 27 wins and a hard-fought loss in the 2nd Round, where unfortunately only Qualls showed up.  I have ZERO problems with how last year played out besides losing in a 50/50 tournament game against NC....in my opinion, getting to the next level would have required a more savvy point-guard like MA had at UAB and Mizzou, not the BP-MK combo.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 27, 2015, 12:28:26 pm

Do you think he meant inside our system?

RaisinHog

The games Mike played them together last year they sucked .. I don't know how much they practiced together and I don't care .. Kingsley couldn't do crap last year thank god a light flipped on in the off season and he is now balling and I don't care how many aau tournys they won together no one plays defence in aau and that is where playing together last year was not good cause neither of them could guard the other teams 4 out away from.the basket ... Ok.rant over sorry

daprospecta

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 02, 2016, 06:04:12 pm
The games Mike played them together last year they sucked .. I don't know how much they practiced together and I don't care .. Kingsley couldn't do crap last year thank god a light flipped on in the off season and he is now balling and I don't care how many aau tournys they won together no one plays defence in aau and that is where playing together last year was not good cause neither of them could guard the other teams 4 out away from.the basket ... Ok.rant over sorry
I think you are going too far.  Moses definitely showed flashes of what he is doing now, last year. That is why everyone wanted BP and Moses to play together.  I think last year, he felt like his minutes depended on his play so I felt like he forced it at times.  I feel that he knows we need him this year and he's a star on this team, I think he can relax and play his game.