Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-E-C Chant and Arkansas Razorbacks

Started by koreaben, January 08, 2018, 04:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

koreaben

Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

MultipleScoreGasms

I never cared about the SEC chant.  Always stood out as a thinly veiled attempt to steal another team's glory when your team fared poorly.  The chant is supposed to signify the conference as superior.  Is it really?  I realize the top two teams are SEC, but what happened after that?  Except for Miss State, the rest of the conference either lost their bowl, or didn't appear in one.  Not very superior.  I would much prefer to chant for the HOGS, and have a reason to.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2018, 06:04:16 am
I'm sick to my stomach reading that.

Then go root for someone in another conference. Ask anyone inside the administrations at Arkansas, Mizzou or TAMU at the time how much better they were/are treated by the conference brethren after joining the SEC. We might not be as successful in football so far but we aren't treated like an outsider anymore. We might be that funny uncle at family get togeathers but at least we're family.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg2afault

We couldn't get out of the SWC fast enough!  Thought we couldn't get the shaft like we did down in TX until we start getting stuck at Florida (Tebow) and Auburn...

ifghog

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on January 08, 2018, 06:37:43 am
I never cared about the SEC chant.  Always stood out as a thinly veiled attempt to steal another team's glory when your team fared poorly.  The chant is supposed to signify the conference as superior.  Is it really?  I realize the top two teams are SEC, but what happened after that?  Except for Miss State, the rest of the conference either lost their bowl, or didn't appear in one.  Not very superior.  I would much prefer to chant for the HOGS, and have a reason to.
While I see your point the fact that two teams from the SEC are playing for the title would mean it is superior. Bowl season doesn't mean much in ways of judging conferences. UCF would not be undefeated if they were in the SEC. OU would have more than 1 loss in the SEC. It is a grind like no other conference. While maybe down a bit...its still the best conference overall.

hoglady

I love it because it irritates the crap out of fans outside the conference.
Got a feeling we will be hearing the SEC chant break out tonight.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Many people from the SWC days seem to hate cheering for the SEC and prefer to root only for the hogs. That's all fine and well, but many of us have been born and raised in Arkansas SEC era. We love being part of a conference that touts its superiority (even if we aren't the reason for said superiority).
#ItJustMeansMore  :)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: ifghog on January 08, 2018, 07:15:07 am
While I see your point the fact that two teams from the SEC are playing for the title would mean it is superior. Bowl season doesn't mean much in ways of judging conferences. UCF would not be undefeated if they were in the SEC. OU would have more than 1 loss in the SEC. It is a grind like no other conference. While maybe down a bit...its still the best conference overall.

+1

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 08, 2018, 07:19:12 am
Many people from the SWC days seem to hate cheering for the SEC and prefer to root only for the hogs. That's all fine and well, but many of us have been born and raised in Arkansas SEC era. We love being part of a conference that touts its superiority (even if we aren't the reason for said superiority).
#ItJustMeansMore  :)

+1

Hoggish1

Any Razorback fan who enters into that chant is agreeing that all the bad calls made against our football team since it's been in the league are OK and justified.  Just a sick chant for a sick person.

Nobody rational football fan should engage in enabling the SEC to steal from one of its members...

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 08, 2018, 07:36:08 am
Any Razorback fan who enters into that chant is agreeing that all the bad calls made against our football team since it's been in the league are OK and justified.  Just a sick chant for a sick person.

No rational football fan should engage in enabling the SEC to steal from one of its members...
That part I agree with
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogarusa

Ah man, so this is all our fault? It is dumb now, its always been dumb, it will forever be dumb.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Craig O Squeal

Sorry, but I derive no pleasure from watching each team that has throttled us during the season go on to have success with the thought of knowing, "Hey! We helped those guys stay undefeated!" Or, "Yeah, well they were averaging 56 points a game but we held 'em to 48!" I can't support the enemy.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ifghog on January 08, 2018, 07:15:07 am

It means UGA and Bama are superior. No one thinks Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Missouri, etc are football powerhouses because Bama wins national championships every other year.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 07:15:26 am

That's right.  If it irritates Big 10, Big 12 and the Big whatever, I'm for it.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Pigsknuckles

A strange feeling of satisfaction knowing that, as an "out of Texas" school, we were the glue holding the SWC together. Upon our departure, the SWC fell apart. Though we have arguably had only mediocre success in the SEC, it sure beats being the red headed step child of what was in reality an exclusive Texas conference. Members of the SEC play in a more competitive football environment than those in most other conferences, and often play the equivalent of 8 regular season bowl games a year. We play some of the best teams in the country, and do not apologize for displaying that pride.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

cjack

I love it and remember the SEC chant against Texas.  People born in the SEC days probably don't understand the Texas hatred as much, but for me, the Longhorns will always be my biggest enemy.

Side note.

I'll be at the Missouri game with our high school basketball team and parents (16 total and first Razorback game for most).  I'll be wearing my upside down longhorns shirt.  Undefeated in it, so I feel like the basketball team needs it.  And yes, I'm superstitious.  It's probably the baseball brain I have. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Svrdhd

25 years without a conference title in SEC football. Arkansas is a proud program, we need to earn it before we yell it.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

McKdaddy

My enthusiasm for the chant has waned over the years, though sadly, I still hate the sips more than any SEC foe.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

cincokids

South Carolina beat Michigan.

Right now the SEC is 4-5, will end up 5-6.  That's not too bad.
LSU's loss was at the end of the game, to Notre Dame, who at one point was in the playoff, I think.
A&M had no business losing their game, they sucked it up.
Aubbie got beat by a really good team.

So, not as bad really as you make it sound.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2018, 06:46:44 am
Then go root for someone in another conference.

There it is.  That's the dumbest thing I'll read on the internet today.

And it's only 8:20.

Kudos, sir.

Keyser Sooieze

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 08, 2018, 08:22:55 am
There it is.  That's the dumbest thing I'll read on the internet today.

And it's only 8:20.

Kudos, sir.

You underestimate Hogville, me thinks.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 07:15:26 am

I love it because it irritates certain posters here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Kig

Nobody rational football fan should engage in enabling the SEC to steal from one of its members...

Wha?   You have posted some strong opinions that I either agree or disagree with in the past, but most of the time they at least make sense. 

This one just appears to be drunk ramblings where there is no correlation between your two arguments. 
Poker Porker

carolinahogger

I never cared about the SEC chant.  Always stood out as a thinly veiled attempt to steal another team's glory when your team fared poorly. 

Agreed.  It is so ridiculous for our program, with about a 40% win rate in conference games, to try to ride on the coattails of the conference. 

jkstock04

Pretty good read because it explains a lot. Now, it makes more sense to me why so many of our fans and on here in particular chest thump and get some sort of vindication or sense of pride just being in this conference (despite lack of success).

Hog fans are the ones who started this lol. Thing is it was actually started as a spit in the face to the SWC to us leaving. Ok...that makes logical sense. But then to go on and read about things like the SEC chant after beating a lowly Texas team in 2014? That's embarrassing to me. We haven't accomplished enough in football to chest thump about being in this league to other fan bases/conferences...especially since 2012.

Like I said, pretty good read and explains a lot about our fans pride of being in this conference (disliking the SWC so much). But for us to chest thump about it these days is embarrassing. I don't get the boastful type pride of being in a conference if we are incapable of competing in it, which has for sure been the case the past 6 years running. And many would argue this the entire time we have been in the league since 1992.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I'm not a fan who gets some sort of thrill or pride simply from being in the SEC. It does not make logical sense to me.

So Alabama wins another national championship? Doesn't do much for me on the fan side of things. Other Hog fans will without doubt be happy about it. But the way I see it...higher up the food chain they go, the lower we go.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

carolinahogger

Quote from: cincokids on January 08, 2018, 08:21:41 am

LSU's loss was at the end of the game, to Notre Dame, who at one point was in the playoff, I think.

Sounds like a losing 5-6 record to me.  Spin it all you want.

razorpimp

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on January 08, 2018, 07:54:35 am
Sorry, but I derive no pleasure from watching each team that has throttled us during the season go on to have success with the thought of knowing, "Hey! We helped those guys stay undefeated!" Or, "Yeah, well they were averaging 56 points a game but we held 'em to 48!" I can't support the enemy.

Exactly!!!!  If you root for other sec schools it is just a losers mentality! 

My best friend is dating the prom queen so I must be cool too!!!!

Was everyone chanting S-E-C in their chairs when the sec officials were screwing the hog basketball team at MSU???

Cinco de Hogo

CiriusPorker

I hate it, because it's like us chanting NORTH AMERICA! when the USA loses in the olympics, but Mexico wins.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: razorpimp on January 08, 2018, 08:51:25 am
Exactly!!!!  If you root for other sec schools it is just a losers mentality! 

My best friend is dating the prom queen so I must be cool too!!!!

Was everyone chanting S-E-C in their chairs when the sec officials were screwing the hog basketball team at MSU???

Well ya some were.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 08, 2018, 08:03:33 am
That's right.  If it irritates Big 10, Big 12 and the Big whatever, I'm for it.

I love it cause it upsets the pac 12 and little 12 the Big 10 and the ACC!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Peter Porker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 08, 2018, 08:56:13 am
I love it cause it upsets the pac 12 and little 12 the Big 10 and the ACC!

Lol as long as we keep losing it doesn't matter just as long as those other conferences are irritated. Some fan.

hogsanity

To me the sec thing is just something to use to determine a rooting interest in a game the Hogs are not. I wanted GA to beat OU because I can't stand OU. I wanted LSu to beat ND because I hate ND. I wanted UCF to beat AUB because I hate Aub. IT has nothing to do, for me, with " hey the Hogs look better if the SEC team wins this game ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

I was a kid when I attended that last Reunion Arena game. Man those are some awesome memories
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Grag T

Quote from: CiriusPorker on January 08, 2018, 08:54:01 am
I hate it, because it's like us chanting NORTH AMERICA! when the USA loses in the olympics, but Mexico wins.

That's okay because Mexicans wouldn't understand what you were chanting anyway
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: cincokids on January 08, 2018, 08:21:41 am
South Carolina beat Michigan.

Oh, that's right.  I forgot about that one.

GuvHog

That just shows you don't understand the chant. The chant isn't about what happens within the SEC, it's about the SEC against the rest of the College Football Conferences.

When I was in High school, I didn't like a lot of the schools in our athletic conference but I always pulled for our conference to dominate the playoffs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Deep Shoat

Some of you boys are fricking stupid, if you think chanting SEC or not has anything to do with wins and losses.

Good grief, find something useful to whine about.
All Gas, No Brakes!

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 08, 2018, 08:36:53 am
Pretty good read because it explains a lot. Now, it makes more sense to me why so many of our fans and on here in particular chest thump and get some sort of vindication or sense of pride just being in this conference (despite lack of success).

Hog fans are the ones who started this lol. Thing is it was actually started as a spit in the face to the SWC to us leaving. Ok...that makes logical sense. But then to go on and read about things like the SEC chant after beating a lowly Texas team in 2014? That's embarrassing to me. We haven't accomplished enough in football to chest thump about being in this league to other fan bases/conferences...especially since 2012.

Like I said, pretty good read and explains a lot about our fans pride of being in this conference (disliking the SWC so much). But for us to chest thump about it these days is embarrassing. I don't get the boastful type pride of being in a conference if we are incapable of competing in it, which has for sure been the case the past 6 years running. And many would argue this the entire time we have been in the league since 1992.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I'm not a fan who gets some sort of thrill or pride simply from being in the SEC. It does not make logical sense to me.

So Alabama wins another national championship? Doesn't do much for me on the fan side of things. Other Hog fans will without doubt be happy about it. But the way I see it...higher up the food chain they go, the lower we go.

Interesting perspective on the origin of the chant.  I'd forgotten about the Reunion deal but vaguely remember it now.  The author does mention it happened in the 80's as well.  Today it is about Southern pride more than anything else.  Not the Old South-type of racial bigotry.  The New South, we are better than the media darlings in the East and Midwest and West kind of pride.  And we prove it year after year.

Living in Nashville, Tennessee, where everyone is from somewhere else or went to school at Alabama or Auburn or Ole Miss or some other SEC school, I have a different perspective.  Fans will pack sports bars all over this city tonight. They will be loyal first to their alma mater or their state school, but even the transplants from places like Southern California will be out showing the SEC pride.  One I know is organizing a watch party tonight.  He has two kids at Alabama.  These folks pull for SEC teams every time in bowl games.  It's just what we do here.  If Arkansas is playing Virginia Tech, everyone here is a Hogs fan.

It's not just Arkansas fans living vicariously through its SEC cousins.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Kig on January 08, 2018, 08:35:00 am
Wha?   You have posted some strong opinions that I either agree or disagree with in the past, but most of the time they at least make sense. 

This one just appears to be drunk ramblings where there is no correlation between your two arguments. 

I used to think the chant was great and took pride in knowing we were in the SEC—the best conference.  But then the refs started doing what we've all come to hate and that's making obvious calls against the Hogs when we were in a position to upset a higher ranked team in the conference.  My feelings began to change over time and now I hate EVERY TEAM in the conference we play.

We are not treated as a conference equal. 

The article explains the derivation of the chant's history, which I didn't know about.  So, we started it!  Yet we are not afforded equal membership in the S-E-C.

I'm bitter about that and wonder when we will gain real membership.

Hoggish1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 08, 2018, 09:22:41 am
That just shows you don't understand the chant. The chant isn't about what happens within the SEC, it's about the SEC against the rest of the College Football Conferences.

When I was in High school, I didn't like a lot of the schools in our athletic conference but I always pulled for our conference to dominate the playoffs.

Correct and after reading the article I now understand the chant's history. 

Now that I've seen (experiences) how the SEC treats one of its members I hate the chant and hate the SEC.  I want Alabama to lose a little less than I want UGA to lose.  I hate both programs.  And to think Bama wants to claim our only national championship as their own!?

NaturalStateReb

Remember hearing both the chant and All My Exs Live in Texas at Arkansas vs. Rice in 1990 in War Memorial.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HoggyCat

We went from the only school outside of the state of Texas in the SWC to being the only school west of the Mississippi River in the SEC, until Mizzou & TAMU came along.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 08, 2018, 10:02:48 am
I used to think the chant was great and took pride in knowing we were in the SEC—the best conference.  But then the refs started doing what we've all come to hate and that's making obvious calls against the Hogs when we were in a position to upset a higher ranked team in the conference.  My feelings began to change over time and now I hate EVERY TEAM in the conference we play.

We are not treated as a conference equal. 

The article explains the derivation of the chant's history, which I didn't know about.  So, we started it!  Yet we are not afforded equal membership in the S-E-C.

I'm bitter about that and wonder when we will gain real membership.

This is how I feel now, no doubt. And it's been an evolution.

Interesting article. The origin it mentions—the Southwest Conference Basketball Tournament in Dallas Reunion Arena—I was there, so I'm sure I was a part of that. Incidentally, my record in Reunion Arena over the years was 15-2, including 2 NCAA Regional Finals. I saw our last 13 straight wins there, under Nolan. In that time, there was a gigantic sense of pride in our program...AND in our "new deal" with our new conference. We were so good in that stretch, I think the "SEC...SEC" was just another thing we could yell to antagonize the Texas crowd. It made for a nice parting shot, following one last Hog call and mixed in with goodbye waves as all the losers were filing out. That was a great time to be a Hog fan.

Following our 1994 Regional win—our last Reunion win—over Fab-5-minus-Weber Michigan, things started to change. (By the way, the SEC chant was probably issued at that game too.) Our basketball program started its slow decline...which brings us to football.

For our football program, our welcome to the SEC was not as hospitable. It was an ugly existence. While there have been some bright spots—some during the Stoerner days, some during the Matt days, some with McFadden & Jones, and the last couple Petrino seasons—I keep wondering if those are enough? How do we feel about our sub-500 SEC record? Do we belong? Good questions. We have experienced so many "downs"—from all the screw jobs (as mentioned) to enduring losses to the likes of Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Are we ever going to feel like we fit, or will Arkansas only be a team that can upset the apple cart every now and then?

Whatever the case though, the SEC chant has run its course. I'm not sure I ever had a fondness for the conference, or teams individually, but nothing exists now. My rooting for an SEC team is not automatic, it's on a case-by-case basis. And even when I do, I'm staying quiet about it. I hope there's a time coming when the Hogs have enough success, that IF I hear "SEC...SEC" again, I can at least tolerate it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

cincokids

Quote from: carolinahogger on January 08, 2018, 08:37:53 am
Sounds like a losing 5-6 record to me.  Spin it all you want.

I wasn't trying to spin it and make it sound great.  I didn't say that.
I was just trying to point out that it's not as bad as MultipleScoreGasms said when they said we (SEC) had only won 1 game.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 08, 2018, 12:07:59 pm
This is how I feel now, no doubt. And it's been an evolution.

Interesting article. The origin it mentions—the Southwest Conference Basketball Tournament in Dallas Reunion Arena—I was there, so I'm sure I was a part of that. Incidentally, my record in Reunion Arena over the years was 15-2, including 2 NCAA Regional Finals. I saw our last 13 straight wins there, under Nolan. In that time, there was a gigantic sense of pride in our program...AND in our "new deal" with our new conference. We were so good in that stretch, I think the "SEC...SEC" was just another thing we could yell to antagonize the Texas crowd. It made for a nice parting shot, following one last Hog call and mixed in with goodbye waves as all the losers were filing out. That was a great time to be a Hog fan.

Following our 1994 Regional win—our last Reunion win—over Fab-5-minus-Weber Michigan, things started to change. (By the way, the SEC chant was probably issued at that game too.) Our basketball program started its slow decline...which brings us to football.

For our football program, our welcome to the SEC was not as hospitable. It was an ugly existence. While there have been some bright spots—some during the Stoerner days, some during the Matt days, some with McFadden & Jones, and the last couple Petrino seasons—I keep wondering if those are enough? How do we feel about our sub-500 SEC record? Do we belong? Good questions. We have experienced so many "downs"—from all the screw jobs (as mentioned) to enduring losses to the likes of Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Are we ever going to feel like we fit, or will Arkansas only be a team that can upset the apple cart every now and then?

Whatever the case though, the SEC chant has run its course. I'm not sure I ever had a fondness for the conference, or teams individually, but nothing exists now. My rooting for an SEC team is not automatic, it's on a case-by-case basis. And even when I do, I'm staying quiet about it. I hope there's a time coming when the Hogs have enough success, that IF I hear "SEC...SEC" again, I can at least tolerate it.

I will be hoping for a loss by both teams tonight.  If I had to choose one it might be Alabama.  Then Nick might decide to coach the NYG.

The SEC has screwed us just at the right times to keep us under their thumb...