Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just got to say

Started by labb, November 18, 2017, 10:51:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

I'm old. Been following Razorback basketball since before Sutton. Have seen some great players through the years with Sid being the  best I think...Never have I seen a Razorback big like Gafford. We have had some in state kids of late that had the opportunity to help get our program back to the top but they chose to go another route..That's ok. One has to take care of themselves. I understand that . Now we have this kid from, of all places, ElDorado that chose to stay home...He is special, very special. Just watch how our three Sr. Stars, Barford, Macon and Beard speak of him. Talent loves talent. He is very, very talented...Enjoy the ride.

jbigs77

This has the potential to be a very exciting and successful year. Hope things fall into place. I can relate to the first post. I went to games when Lanny Van Eman. (not sure on that spelling) was the coach. Remember a kid named Martin Terry was fun to watch. It was called the barn for a reason, it was a barn. Bleachers and straw on the ground in some areas.

daBoar

Quote from: jbigs77 on November 18, 2017, 11:15:53 am
This has the potential to be a very exciting and successful year. Hope things fall into place. I can relate to the first post. I went to games when Lanny Van Eman. (not sure on that spelling) was the coach. Remember a kid named Martin Terry was fun to watch. It was called the barn for a reason, it was a barn. Bleachers and straw on the ground in some areas.
I played lots of ball with Terry in the 70's.  That was fun.   Even though I was playing against him, I just watched him.

SPAL

He is a freshman. There will be games where he plays like a freshman and games where he looks like a superstar. I hope everyone who is loving on him right now remembers that when it comes SEC play and the nights he struggles.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 19, 2017, 04:28:19 pm
He is a freshman. There will be games where he plays like a freshman and games where he looks like a superstar. I hope everyone who is loving on him right now remembers that when it comes SEC play and the nights he struggles.

That's why getting Thomas and Cook back is so important.
Hogs up! Covid down!

IronMountainHog

He is the anti Monk. Proud Arkansan, proud to be a Razorback, and isn't a traitor who yearns to play against us.

hview

I too have been watching Arkansas Basketball since before Eddie Sutton. I don't recall a "big man" who has displayed the talent, explosiveness, motor and ability this young man displays at this early stage. He seems too have a great attitude, loves to play the game and gets along well with his team mates.  Granted it's just 3 games in, but I like what I see. He'll have off games, but it's exciting watching him play. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop. He may struggle against OK, but he'll bounce back. We need to be patience with him.

Man this has the makings of a special year. I'm trying to damper my excitement. CJ and Bailey look much improved and both are coming on strong. You can tell the freshmen Hall and Gabe are talented and gifted players, who will help us this year. Our 3 senior guards are playing great and complement each other well. It definitely looks like the makings of a special year, if they all stay healthy. With Trey and now Thomas in the middle things are looking up for Razorback Basketball.

hogmolar

Hopefully, for the fans sake, he has just enough off games to decide that he needs another year to develop.  He is a really good ball player and good representative of Hog ball.   ;D

azhog10

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 19, 2017, 11:09:45 pm
He is the anti Monk. Proud Arkansan, proud to be a Razorback, and isn't a traitor who yearns to play against us.
Monk would have came here if we were willing to shell out $100k. Fortunately Moke wouldn't agree to let that happen.

devildog

Martin Terry had an awesome afro, there should be an all-afro Razorback HOF, who else Jerry Eckwood?, Jimmy Walker?

daprospecta

Quote from: azhog10 on November 20, 2017, 10:22:17 am
Monk would have came here if we were willing to shell out $100k. Fortunately Moke wouldn't agree to let that happen.
Yep, it's water under the bridge and I wish him success.  He didn't choose Arkansas but he's not a bad kid.  With that being said, I heard he was ready to choose Arkansas but Cal came with money.  If we gave the same offer, he would have signed. Of course, we don't play that game and he goes to Kentucky. 

blu

Not a bad kid but willing to take money which is against the rules in CBB - strange society we're living in.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

FineAsSwine

Quote from: labb on November 18, 2017, 10:51:41 am
I'm old. Been following Razorback basketball since before Sutton. Have seen some great players through the years with Sid being the  best I think...Never have I seen a Razorback big like Gafford. We have had some in state kids of late that had the opportunity to help get our program back to the top but they chose to go another route..That's ok. One has to take care of themselves. I understand that . Now we have this kid from, of all places, ElDorado that chose to stay home...He is special, very special. Just watch how our three Sr. Stars, Barford, Macon and Beard speak of him. Talent loves talent. He is very, very talented...Enjoy the ride.

Would love to see him on the hill for 3 years but 2, or less, is most likely. So much upside with his soft touch around the rim. Develop a jump shot out to the 3 point line and he will be the best Razorback big ever, hands down.
Hogs up! Covid down!

phadedhawg

Against FSU the lob into the post pass was money every time.  Last year we tried to execute that with Moses and Trey and at best, it set them up for an assist bc neither could finish like Daniel.   

I cringed every time we threw that pass and every time Daniel finished.  The kid is just awesome.  He's like a very tall Todd Day when it comes to filling up the basket.

NoogaHog

Quote from: devildog on November 20, 2017, 11:20:45 am
Martin Terry had an awesome afro, there should be an all-afro Razorback HOF, who else Jerry Eckwood?, Jimmy Walker?

This guy!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

East TN HAWG

The problem is he is 7' tall with a motor.  If he plays like he did in the last game, he won't be here next year.  There are not many 7' with the potential that Gafford has.  With a good year, he will be a lottery pick because of his size and motor.  NBA drafts on potential and Gafford is oozing with it.   

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 20, 2017, 02:26:07 pm
The problem is he is 7' tall with a motor.  If he plays like he did in the last game, he won't be here next year.  There are not many 7' with the potential that Gafford has.  With a good year, he will be a lottery pick because of his size and motor.  NBA drafts on potential and Gafford is oozing with it.
Gafford does look good but definitely isn't ready to make that leap yet. Not to mention this year draft is deep with big men and down on guards.

98hogs

Quote from: labb on November 18, 2017, 10:51:41 am
Super Sid was the best, then Corliss,  ............I wish that we can keep Gafford for a while but you are right.  YOu better watch him while you can

AugustaHog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 20, 2017, 02:26:07 pm
His length is incredible and he knows how to use it.  He's not extremely polished with his back to the basket yet and he still gets the ball up.  If he adds some muscle, works on his post up moves, and stretches out his jumper, he could really be a special player on the next level.  For him to have done the things he has this early just shows how much potential he has. 

Deep Shoat

There has never been a Hog big man like Gafford.  If he realizes his potential, he is special.

I would be on the phone to Hakeem Olajuwon planning some teaching sessions. 
All Gas, No Brakes!