Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Half Full or Half Empty?

Started by bphi11ips, September 24, 2017, 02:10:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

September 24, 2017, 02:10:25 pm Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:30:57 pm by bphi11ips
I've learned to never mention Hogville to Razorbacks fans unless I know them well.  We don't exactly have the best reputation.  Maybe I'm naïve, but I've never been able to understand why.  It's starting to dawn on me.  Over the years we've looked at times like this to outsiders:

Now, with Houston Nutt, the mob mentality didn't bother me.  If anyone ever deserved a good lynching, it was TCTWF.  And not because he was a monkey with a whistle. 

It's far too early to break out the pitchforks and rope with our current coach.  And not because he's a good guy. 

There's no need to recite all the challenges Bret Bielema faced when he took over the Razorbacks or the time it would take to convert a 7-on-7 team to SEC-style football.  Dead horse.  On the other hand, there's no need to overlook how close the Razorbacks came to winning the last two games against opponents to whom the Razorbacks were underdogs.  Those guys in Vegas make the big bucks for a reason.

As has been said here many times, "fan" is short for "fanatic".  The Online Entymology Dictionary gives us this history as the term relates to American culture:

fan (n.2) 1889, American English, originally of baseball enthusiasts, probably a shortening of fanatic, but it may be influenced by the fancy, a collective term for followers of a certain hobby or sport (especially boxing);

Most of us have been a player and a fan at some point in our lives.  Many of us have coached.  For the vast majority, playing is a fleeting function of youth.  Coaching might be a fleeting function of our children's youth.  On the other hand, fandom is generally a lifetime experience.  We are fans of something before we can walk.  That type of fandom is often derivative of our parents and grandparents' fanaticism.  Eventually we develop our own fanaticisms, but one thing is for certain - human beings are wired for it.  Fanaticism has gone to the very heart of the culture in societies where humans have a lot of time on their hands.  Roman emperors understood this.  So do university chancellors.

What do modern players and coaches do - even in professional sports - after virtually every game?  They walk to somewhere near the middle of the field or court and congratulate each other for a game well played.  We call that "sportsmanship".  Sportsmanship is universally taught at the earliest stages of organized athletics.  Bad sportsmanship is universally condemned.  "Bad sports" are universally despised.  Anyone remember Ilie Nastase?  So why do we tolerate the worst kind of sportsmanship from fans?  We even encourage it on Hogville.

Maybe fan reaction is the acceptable outward expression of the true feelings of the losing players and coaches.  We know what the Aztecs and Mayans did with the losers.  Saddam Hussein tortured Iraqi soccer players after a loss.  Are we any better than Hussein?  Of course we are, but sometimes I wonder by how much.  Right now many of you are ready to boil oil and pluck chickens and apply both liberally to a few Razorbacks coaches and players before riding them out of town on a rail.  All because we lost two football games to teams we weren't supposed to beat to begin with. 

I was amazed at the few number of posters on Hogville during the months leading up to the season.  Muskogee and I and a few others did our best to talk a little football.  Few joined in.  The subject of nine out of ten posts was the likely season record of the Razorbacks football team.  Vegas and ESPN and others, like Phil Steel, said about 6-6 to 7-5.  Sounded like a safe prediction to many.  Still does. 

Personally, I said over and over that this season is the hardest one to predict I've seen in the almost 50 years I can remember.  I said we can go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3.  Why? 

First, Arkansas plays a lot of pretty good football teams, and Arkansas is a pretty good football team itself.  When two pretty good football teams meet on the field, either team can win.  Prior to the season, we looked like we would play three teams who can't possibly match up with us, three we can't possibly match up against, and six pretty good football teams.  Now that we're four games into the season, the number of pretty good teams looks like it might be more like eight, and the number of fughidabout a win is one.  In other words, we have two guaranteed wins left and six of the could-go-either-way variety. 

Second, we had more question marks about our own team and personnel than I can ever remember during preseason: 

Would the 3-4 and Paul Rhoads improve the defense?  Looks like the answer to that question is yes. 

Would we be able to replace four receivers and a tight end now being paid to play football?  Nope.

Will we be able to field an offensive line more akin to the 2014 version than the 2016 version?  Not yet, anyway.

Will special teams improve?  The jury is still out.  They were better against A&M until the end. 

The answers to more questions than not don't look good three games into the season.  But - one answer may trump the rest.  Defense is looking pretty good and should only improve.  Whatever Bret Bielema said to the offensive line during the second half yesterday seems to have gotten their attention.  Who knew David Williams or Chase Hayden would play like they have played? 

So we've lost two games to two pretty good teams.  TCU might be better than that.  The outcome of this season will hinge on how many wins the Hogs get in the 6 could-go-either-way games left on the schedule.  The longest distance on the field in those games will be the six inches between the players' ears.  Are you ready yet to throw them all out with last week's Chinese leftovers?   

The last reason I said during preseason that this season could wind up 3-9 is because a season like this one can become a snowball rolling downhill.  We knew going in that Arkansas might lose to TCU and A&M.  The bookies sure knew it whether we were realistic or not. 

Winning has a way of becoming contagious, too.  Arkansas will get that taste back in its mouth next weekend.  It looks like South Carolina is much more beatable than it did in preseason.  Losing Deebo Samuel hurt the Gamecocks.  They are likely to be licking their wounds after a loss at A&M when we meet them in Columbia. 

Arkansas is likely to go into Alabama 3-3.  The most important thing about that game is to get out of Bryant-Denny without suffering emotional or physical trauma.  Then the real season starts - especially for the fans.  Auburn is vulnerable.  75,000 screaming fans could very well be the difference.  So could 60,000 with pitchforks.  The players will take the latter personally.  Does Sosa Agim deserve that? 

With a win against Auburn, Arkansas could very well get on a roll and win out.  Ole Miss?  Win.  Syracuse almost beat LSU yesterday in Death Valley.  Orgeron and crew make their own trip to Bryant-Denny the week before they get us.  LSU is very beatable.  Is Mississippi State that much different than the team we beat in Starkville last year?  Ask Georgia.  The Bulldogs have some good running backs.  So do we.  Are we going to roll over for a bunch of mamby-pamby Missouri Tigers?  I have an answer for Eric Beisel.  His name is Hayden Johnson.

Is your glass half full or half empty?  Can you say good game after close losses?  Can you sit in the stands against New Mexico State and Auburn and act like a good sport?  Because that is what it might take to get this team on a roll to end the season. 

Is this season over?  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

OR COURSE NOT!!!

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Boardon Hamsay

You really expect folks to read that dissertation? This is like 1000 deltaboy posts.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ricepig

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 04:47:05 pm
You really expect folks to read that dissertation? This is like 1000 deltaboy posts.

No way, too many paragraphs....

hobhog

Need eye surgery if read that. And if going to read that much might as well go to office!

bphi11ips

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 04:50:27 pm
Whiners...

Get with the times, man! ;D  Anything over 140 characters can start a nuclear war these days.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jrulz83

I counted 16 question marks.

Miscounted, 17.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 24, 2017, 04:56:35 pm

Good work! If we team up, we'll have this thing broken down in a couple days. I got 26 paragraphs and 2 videos.

damgoodestuffyhog

Didn't read all of it, but I don't know if fans are bringing out the pitchforks for Bielema necessarily we are just incredibly frustrated with the results. What you are seeing is an outpouring of embarrassment and hurt, wanting our program to be headed in a positive direction.

I don't think that Bret is inspiring confidence either in showing measurable progress or acknowledging consistently that he considers this season do or die.

Group 1

Vanderbilt's Identity = Defense

Kentucky's Identity = Air Raid with Florida Recruiting Ties

Group 2

Missouri = Total Disaster

Ole Miss = Total Disaster

We are quickly leaving group 1 and headed to group 2. Not saying it's inevitable.

The sentiment turns at some point and I think we are possibly at that point currently.

pigelow

This might be one of the most detailed, yet onesided explanations ever seen from a Sunshiner.  Liberal use of IF.  Old timers used to offer this about IF.  If the dog hadn't stopped to poop, he would have caught the rabbit, yeah and if you hadn't stopped to eat it, you would have seen the race.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 04:58:27 pm
Good work! If we team up, we'll have this thing broken down in a couple days. I got 26 paragraphs and 2 videos.

Let me save you the time, the OP is a glass is half full guy.  And that's probably an understatement.  End thread.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jrulz83

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 04:58:27 pm
Good work! If we team up, we'll have this thing broken down in a couple days.

Working on periods now. Gonna be a minute......

bphi11ips

It shouldn't take most Hogvillians more than two days to read. Delta excluded.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 04:50:27 pm
Whiners...

Don't you mean winners?? You should know your jury summation is wasted on HV. I'm always a half full guy, but it's getting closer to the time to just chug the whole thing down. I hope we turn it around because I support the team and university, but I'll support the next coach or AD as well.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:01:36 pm

+1

jrulz83

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 05:02:14 pm
Don't you mean winners?? You should know your jury summation is wasted on HV. I'm always a half full guy, but it's getting closer to the time to just chug the whole thing down. I hope we turn it around because I support the team and university, but I'll support the next coach or AD as well.

One of my better summations, though. I once counted 9 jurors in tears when I represented a former Freedom Rider in a racial discrimination case. Four hours later the jury came back with a verdict for the defendant employer.  Expecting a similar result here.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:01:36 pm

Now that's pretty funny right there.  I don't care who you are.  That's funny.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 02:10:25 pm
Maybe fan reaction is the acceptable outward expression of the true feelings of the losing players and coaches.  We know what the Aztecs and Mayans did with the losers.  Saddam Hussein tortured Iraqi soccer players after a loss.  Are we any better than Hussein?  Of course we are, but sometimes I wonder by how much.  Right now many of you are ready to boil oil and pluck chickens and apply both liberally to a few Razorbacks coaches and players before riding them out of town on a rail.  All because we lost two football games to teams we weren't supposed to beat to begin with.

1. The apathy that I am seeing is from regular Hog fans not on Hogville or associated with it in any way

2. This outpouring is not related solely to the last two games.

3. We are supposed to beat Texas A&M at least once every five years. Especially when spotted 4 points and playing in Jerry World with a fifth year quarter back, wearing uniforms staking our claim in the college football landscape, and playing against a freshman quarterback when those in front of him on the depth chart are out with injury.

4. Compared to the Nutt and to a lesser degree the Pelphrey firings, this is absolutely nothing. I do not see the personal attacks that were more pervasive.

5. I think that as a fan base, we realized through experience that unaddressed coaching problems, fester and boil over. That is why you are hearing all the chatter.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 24, 2017, 05:10:51 pm
Now that's pretty funny right there.  I don't care who you are.  That's funny.

Where is Ponderin' when I need him?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:12:13 pm
Where is Ponderin' when I need him?

Ponderin's been assigned the comma count and number crunching. #teameffort

ricepig

Boardon Hamsay

bphi11ips

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 24, 2017, 04:56:35 pm

Miscounted, 17.

You missed one question in the Frankenstein clip and 14 in Bluto's speech.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 05:22:06 pm
Coma count??

I don't think Ponderin' wakes up until 6:00. It may be a while.

MuskogeeHogFan

September 24, 2017, 05:29:35 pm #26 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:44:15 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
That's a lot to digest but I will do my best.

We could always count on HDN to produce an average of 8 wins. Not too much to get excited about but occasionaly due to better better Arkansas talent or big pick-ups due to the miscues of out of state schools, we had talent that really helped us win more games than the HC was capable of winning. The, "Jimmies and Joe's". He lucked into a lot of this while playing pick-up basketball games in the off season.

Bp was not a fantastic recruiter in terms of what everyone else felt were great recruiting classes, but that which was good for him, even with attrition.

Bielema seeks to build a top 10 program without being within a top 10 recruiting area and playing in a far more difficult division than the entire conference that he played in at the Big Ten. He seems to be beating his head against the wall, as well meaning and driven as he seems. It's just hard to compete straight up against Alabama, LSU and A&M and everyone else that is willing to pay more for players when you are attempting to play it straight. That's just the SEC.

We are improving, the defense is definately improved. The Offense appears to be dangerous, at times. Consistency, on both sides of the ball, is where we need to live That gets us to 9 wins. Anything less, does not.
Go Hogs Go!

jrulz83

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:23:32 pm
You missed one question in the Frankenstein clip and 14 in Bluto's speech.

They don't count.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 04:47:05 pm

that's funny, man. ;D
The rest of the frog.

bphi11ips

HognotinMemphis

I read the whole thing, and it is a nice opinion.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:33:12 pm
Rice - can we get a ruling?

I'll have to retire to my office and await the bribes from each side in order to make a ruling.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 05:33:22 pm
I read the whole thing, and it is a nice opinion.

Felt like a Sunday during Father Tribou's English class.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 05:37:30 pm
I'll have to retire to my office and await the bribes from each side in order to make a ruling.

Secret Mississippi State fan?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 05:38:14 pm
Felt like a Sunday during Father Tribou's English class.
I know what that is like after 2 years of his Am Lit and Brit Lit classes!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Mike_e

Good read!

Obviously you understand that a 12 oz glass that has half of it's volume occupied with a liquid has 6 oz in it. 

Opinions don't affect what is.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 24, 2017, 05:46:13 pm
Still readin' ...   ;D

WR education kicking in, I'm waiting on the Cliff notes.....

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 05:39:27 pm
I know what that is like after 2 years of his Am Lit and Brit Lit classes!

You into BDSM, too?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 05:50:53 pm
WR education kicking in, I'm waiting on the Cliff notes.....

Whatsshakin holds record of 27 question marks in a single post, so I need a little help here.

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike_e on September 24, 2017, 05:41:54 pm
Good read!

Obviously you understand that a 12 oz glass that has half of it's volume occupied with a liquid has 6 oz in it. 

Opinions don't affect what is.

Math was never my subject, but sounds right.

cj_sez

More than half empty. We sat silently in our seats yesterday, surrounded by cheering A&M fans as they were moving out. My husband tapped my shoulder and pointed across at Bielema. He had returned to the sidelines after meeting Sumlin and was standing there with a defeated look and posture. He looked lost. I don't think he has the ability to build a program, and I was wondering then and on the plane this morning, does he think he has the ability? I saw doubt.

Al Boarland

We must be watching different defenses. I don't think we stand a chance in heck against Auburn. Their D line with be all over AA. MS St is also a huge challenge.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

IT WAS JAPAN THAT BOMBED PEARL HARBOR, NOT THE GERMANS!!!!

Geez!!!!

bphi11ips, thanks buddy, needed this!  Reminds me of Good Times!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 05:29:35 pm
That's a lot to digest but I will do my best.

We could always count on HDN to produce an average of 8 wins. Not too much to get excited about but occasionaly due to better better Arkansas talent or big pick-ups due to the miscues of out of state schools, we had talent that really helped us win more games than the HC was capable of winning. The, "Jimmies and Joe's". He lucked into a lot of this while playing pick-up basketball games in the off season.

Bp was not a fantastic recruiter in terms of what everyone else felt were great recruiting classes, but that which was good for him, even with attrition.

Bielema seeks to build a top 10 program without being within a top 10 recruiting area and playing in a far more difficult division than the entire conference that he played in at the Big Ten. He seems to be beating his head against the wall, as well meaning and driven as he seems. It's just hard to compete straight up against Alabama, LSU and A&M and everyone else that is willing to pay more for players when you are attempting to play it straight. That's just the SEC.

We are improving, the defense is definately improved. The Offense appears to be dangerous, at times. Consistency, on both sides of the ball, is where we need to live That gets us to 9 wins. Anything less, does not.

That inconsistency you mentioned is WHY I've started to waiver on my support for coach. It's inconsistent in different areas of different games all the time. Fix one thing and then another area the next game or season doesn't work right. To me that is symptomatic of some real issues with details not begin addressed in some way. I will give ANY coach at least two years to prove themselves they can do the job in all areas. He's done a great job in all areas except the one that usually is the important one to most people and that's win enough. The first two years were a given the last two were inconsistent as has been this year so far. Even IF you take out the first two years record then he still is only barely above .500 by one game and still has a losing conference record by one game in that same timeframe. That is not a good way to get fans to keep supporting you when someone else that got fired had a much better record with lower ranked recruiting classes. Doesn't matter why that guy was fired since it was appropriate for his actions. He may turn it around the rest of the season and I hope he does. However IF that inconsistency continues I'll still be worried going forward if he keeps his job after this season. Think about it, at Wisconsin he had a decent record at a school not in a recruiting hotbed just like Arkansas isn't. So why has the inconsistencies and losses continued. As a fan I can't say and don't know why. As the coach he should know exactly why and do something in a timely manner to correct it. The time is now. Otherwise his loss of fan support will only grow bigger and more emboldened. Nobody wants that and the only person that can cure it is himself or ultimately he will need to leave.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cj_sez on September 24, 2017, 06:05:42 pm
More than half empty. We sat silently in our seats yesterday, surrounded by cheering A&M fans as they were moving out. My husband tapped my shoulder and pointed across at Bielema. He had returned to the sidelines after meeting Sumlin and was standing there with a defeated look and posture. He looked lost. I don't think he has the ability to build a program, and I was wondering then and on the plane this morning, does he think he has the ability? I saw doubt.

He came here FOR that reason. To actually build something instead of inheriting it and then keep it going as what happened at Wisconsin. Maybe the challenge aspect was intriguing to him. I know it is for most people in a high pressure job. He's built a solid program in all areas except the one that most fans consider the most important. I think he's discovered it's much harder to build from scratch than simply maintain what was already there. Maybe he's up to the challenge and maybe not. I guess we will find out this season.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

vandybuff

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on September 24, 2017, 05:00:07 pm
Didn't read all of it, but I don't know if fans are bringing out the pitchforks for Bielema necessarily we are just incredibly frustrated with the results. What you are seeing is an outpouring of embarrassment and hurt, wanting our program to be headed in a positive direction.

I don't think that Bret is inspiring confidence either in showing measurable progress or acknowledging consistently that he considers this season do or die.

Group 1

Vanderbilt's Identity = Defense

Kentucky's Identity = Air Raid with Florida Recruiting Ties

Group 2

Missouri = Total Disaster

Ole Miss = Total Disaster

We are quickly leaving group 1 and headed to group 2. Not saying it's inevitable.

The sentiment turns at some point and I think we are possibly at that point currently.

Vandy allowed 59 against Alabama ... yeah, we are a defensive juggernaut all right!  :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: vandybuff on September 24, 2017, 07:03:45 pm
Vandy allowed 59 against Alabama ... yeah, we are a defensive juggernaut all right!  :)

Bama gonna Bama? They had only given up 13 total points in the prior three games, which is a good sign, given the competition wasn't elite. We will know a lot more about Vandy's D after the next two games.

We have given up 85 over our first three games.  :'(