Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McFadden had better stay ready

Started by Tejano Jawg, July 17, 2017, 10:16:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Breaking news—Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott was involved in a "bar incident" last night. Ahhh the popular and ubiquitous bar incident. Stories differ. Some say he punched someone, then stories differ more—a bouncer, a bartender, the DJ, a fellow patron. Maybe broke his nose.

This is on top of the pending domestic violence charge, which is on top of about another half dozen questionable incidents that have put Elliot's name in the paper. The NFL is still floating a possible 2 game suspension out there. Now this bar thing.

It's worth adding, I think about Elliot being under the tutelage of the most-holy Urban Meyer. When you combine Ohio State and Florida, there are few top 10 coaches who have fostered more criminals than Urban.

Cowboys beat writer David Moore wrote an article 4 months ago with his headline—What Ezekiel Elliott did is simply wrong, and his pattern of behavior indicates trouble ahead. So I guess trouble WAS ahead.

DMac better stay ready. And stay OFF his cell phone.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

swineology

Sadly Dmac is done

MOTHO used and abused his body and his talents and got nothing for it but "bringing the wood"

Großer Kriegschwein

Nutt was a jackass. Dude screwed up the unscrewable in 2006 which, instead of doing what Auburn did in 2010, we went back to our 2000 season results.

The blame for that lands squarely on Dale.

It's just unfathomable.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogfan46

Latest report is that Elliot punched and broke the nose of a drunk guy that was harassing a women that was with his group.

threeNout

Quote from: swineology on July 17, 2017, 10:44:01 am
Sadly Dmac is done

He didn't look done to me with what brief time he got at the end of last year, looked pretty darn good.

has something changed?

I was always of the opinion Dmac was unique enough physically, that he could play longer than your average NFL player if he wanted to, could keep most his "measurables" into his mid 30s.

Maybe not Herscel Walker longevity, but close.

I didn't see anything from his 1,000 yard season two years a go, or his brief success from last year, that dissuades me from that idea.  but I haven't kept up with off season news either.

RagingHawgOn

sowmonella

Sadly Dmac is done

MOTHO used and abused his body and his talents and got nothing for it but "bringing the wood"

Wrong.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkRinds

King Kong

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 17, 2017, 11:13:08 am
Elliot will play.

The OP is talking about when Elliott is suspended.

King Kong

Sadly Dmac is done

He was the 4th leading rushing in the NFL year before last.

PorkRinds

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 11:16:34 am
The OP is talking about when Elliott is suspended.

Yeah those preseason games will be hard for him to watch from the sideline in sure. He won't miss a single game of consequence.

King Kong

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 17, 2017, 11:18:24 am
Yeah those preseason games will be hard for him to watch from the sideline in sure. He won't miss a single game of consequence.

NFL doesn't suspend preseason games. Listen I don't know for sure that the NFL will suspend him. But if Zeke is already preparing himself for it. Its probably going to happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/14/report-ezekiel-elliott-bracing-for-a-suspension/amp/

I suspect the NFL feels they can't let anything with the terms domestic abuse go unpunished

Pigsknuckles

Funny how things come around. Darren not a stranger to bar fights.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

goodguytex

Zeke Elliott has so much talent and so much promise for a hall of fame career, and is trying his best to screw all that up because he can't show some self control. He needs to get new friends to hang with and stay away from bars and clubs where there might be trouble.

Someone needs to let him know because he's an NFL starting RB he's a target. And he shouldn't make himself a willing one.

As for Dmac, I think he has more football in him. Hopefully he's good for a few more years.

King Kong

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 17, 2017, 11:49:36 am
Funny how things come around. Darren not a stranger to bar fights.

I think technically it was a Club

RME

Sadly Dmac is done

Darren is 9th in yards among active NFL running backs. And that's with considerably fewer carries than the guys ahead of him. He had over 1,000 just 2 seasons ago.

He's not done.

younghog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:01:23 pm
Darren is 9th in yards among active NFL running backs. And that's with considerably few carries than the guys ahead of him. He had over 1,000 just 2 seasons ago.

He's not done.

EXACTLY
GO HOGS

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 12:00:20 pm
I think technically it was a Club

Oh, and I guess y'all might be referring to the dust up that his brother and others got into at the piano bar shortly after he went pro.

hogcard1964

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on July 17, 2017, 11:07:36 am
Elliot is a ticking time bomb.

Doesn't matter.  It's the NFL and he's protected.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 17, 2017, 12:04:21 pm
Oh, and I guess y'all might be referring to the dust up that his brother and others got into at the piano bar shortly after he went pro.

Or this one that happened in the summer of 2006.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2006/07/29/hog-football-in-toe-jam-update

HF#1

I'd bet my house that he is suspended four games. It may not be the first four because of appeals and whatnot.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pig in the Pokey

you are very wrong on this one my friend. He's gonna get 6 games.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

KlubhouseKonnected

Hog Fan...DOH!

Best thing that could have happened.... saves his legs for the playoffs. 

Emmitt Smith in '93 was held out the first 2 games for a contract dispute, then went on to win the MVP and Super Bowl. 

threeNout

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 17, 2017, 01:03:33 pm
you are very wrong on this one my friend. He's gonna get 6 games.

I think it only took Dmac 8 games to hit 1,000 yards year before last.

I'd love to see him get as much as he can the first 6 games, make it a hard decision to switch back. :)

onebadrubi

Quote from: threeNout on July 17, 2017, 01:12:03 pm
I think it only took Dmac 8 games to hit 1,000 yards year before last.

I'd love to see him get as much as he can the first 6 games, make it a hard decision to switch back. :)

Dmac could run for 2,000 and they still wouldn't have a hard decision to make.  The public has made Elliot the best rb right or wrong, but he will get his touches whenever he can play.

RME

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 17, 2017, 01:29:50 pm
Dmac could run for 2,000 and they still wouldn't have a hard decision to make.  The public has made Elliot the best rb right or wrong, but he will get his touches whenever he can play.

The guy just had arguably the best season statistically for a rookie running back......

His rookie season and Eric Dickerson's are surely 1-2 in some form.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:35:47 pm
The guy just had arguably the best season statistically for a rookie running back......

His rookie season and Eric Dickerson's are surely 1-2 in some form.

I didn't say he was the best or not?   I said be it right or wrong.  I personally don't label athletes until years later.  The ones that get the label so early end up flaming out more times than not.  1 year, no matter how good or bad it is, should. It make a career in sports. 

Tejano Jawg

Since the Elliot news hit the airwaves, it's been a constant topic on talk radio here. There's still a mixed bag of who saw what. Evidently, the person who got punched didn't know where the hit came from. So the questions—were the witnesses buddies of the dude who got hit? Are there neutral observers? Etc. Stay tuned.

On McFadden, the Cowboys like him. And, a common belief is the reason they brought both he and Morris back is the Cowboys don't trust Elliot making all 16 games.

I don't think DMac is done. He was terrific season before last, on a team that had ZERO passing threat. And yes, he only started the second half of the season and ended up ranked 4th.

When he came to Dallas, something that everyone talked about was the strange paradox of the number of years he's been in the League vs the amount of snaps (and punishment) he's missed over that time. He agreed with this. He barely played last season because of the phone/broken elbow situation. I hope Elliot misses the first 2-4 games, and DMac—playing with a good QB and a healthy Dez—will really rock.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ChicoHog

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on July 17, 2017, 11:07:36 am
Elliot is a ticking time bomb.
Agree.  I lost a lot of respect for him at Ohio st.  Of course Urban Liar doesn't help matters.  I'm trying to remember but didn't Elliot say he was going to the NFL before they even played the playoff?  Seemed like a very selfish move. I would have to research the exact scenario but I know he did not come off as a team player. 

daprospecta

Rest is key for a RB. McFadden has had time for his body to rest and heal.  I'm sure he still has 3 good years in him. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Sadly Dmac is done

Yeah, Good thing Elliot didn't kick the curb...geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 11:17:20 am
He was the 4th leading rushing in the NFL year before last.

Don't go bringing facts to this thread..😉
(Sarcasm on)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

threeNout

Quote from: daprospecta on July 17, 2017, 09:30:06 pm
Rest is key for a RB. McFadden has had time for his body to rest and heal.  I'm sure he still has 3 good years in him. 

Agree, I'd say he could have as much as 5 years left, what is he now 30, 31? (and I know how extremely rare a 35 y/o RB is.)

The rest factor, as you mention, but also just because he's always been an atypical back, and his physique is closer to the freakish end than most RBs who have played,  again, I think of Herschel Walker, guys that just seem to be born ripped, always easy for them to be faster and stronger than everyone else around without even trying, and then when they work at it, look out. 

I gotta wonder how much speed DMac has really lost since his combine days, if any.  (he still looked great last year)

Would love to see how much Elliot would beat him by in an end zone to end zone sprint, if by any at all.

If the Cowboys start the year with DDog as their feature back, it could end up being really fun to watch.

WizardofhOgZ

This is a strange turn of events, and I'm anxious (in both senses of the word) to see how it will shake out for DMac this September.

On the one hand, there is no doubt in my mind that at comparable ages (ie, when they were both 20, etc), the talent difference between DMac and Zeke is negligible.  I know that's blasphemous to say in Dallas (or, to most NFL fans) today, but those of us who saw him in college (and, in his case, that was a LOT of the nation) know it's true.  Zeke is very talented, but I believe he may be over-rated.  In other words, I don't think he's in the same class as true elites such as Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell and Jim Brown (Emmitt was another "very good" back who happened to be a the perfect place at the perfect time; his best "talent" was that he was durable enough to last long enough to post the most yards in NFL history).  Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.  However, he - like Emmitt - landed at the perfect time and place.  If he doesn't self-destruct, he may put up fantastic numbers just because of where he is - the line he's playing behind, the QB, the WR/TE.  However, unlike Emmitt, free agency will probably not let it last quite as long.

Getting back to DMac, he does not have a lot of "mileage" on his tread for a guy who's been in the NFL 10 seasons.  Part of that is injuries, and part is playing behind others for a couple of seasons.  I wrote here at great length before about how he was as good if not better then De Marco Murray, and the NFL numbers back me up on that.  People are surprised to find out that De Marco is only 5 or 6 months younger than DMac - they are basically the same age!  Because Murray was almost 2 years older than DMac when he made it to OU, and he stayed in 4 years (to DMac's 3), Murray came into the NFL 3 years after McFadden - so people tend to think of him as younger.  Really, ALL of their numbers are very, very similar; but Murray had the advantage of playing in the Dallas offense with Romo, Witten, Dez and an OL that was "good" when he got there but fantastic by his 3rd season.  Meanwhile, DMac was in the cesspool that was Oakland until he got to Dallas - and then, he hasn't gotten to play too much in a situation where his numbers would have soared (see the 10 games he started in 2015).

IMO, had DMac played the same number of snaps that Zeke did last season, he would have put up at least 1,500 yards.  Quite possibly, about the same number Zeke did (of course, there's no way to prove one way, or the other).  So, I'm excited to see what happens if he gets a few starts early this season.

All of that said, there is no telling when his body/skills will start to decline.  For an NFL RB, the clock usually starts turning the other way about the age he is now.  Even though he should be pretty healthy, relatively speaking, I hope he doesn't hit the proverbial "wall" just as he finally gets a chance to play with the type of offense Murray and Zeke played with from Day #1 (remember - even when DMac played in 2015, it was WITHOUT Romo AND Dez).  He deserves a chance to show everyone what kind of career he might have had, if not for Al Davis selecting him.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: threeNout on July 18, 2017, 07:51:57 am
Agree, I'd say he could have as much as 5 years left, what is he now 30, 31? (and I know how extremely rare a 35 y/o RB is.)

The rest factor, as you mention, but also just because he's always been an atypical back, and his physique is closer to the freakish end than most RBs who have played,  again, I think of Herschel Walker, guys that just seem to be born ripped, always easy for them to be faster and stronger than everyone else around without even trying, and then when they work at it, look out. 

I gotta wonder how much speed DMac has really lost since his combine days, if any.  (he still looked great last year)

Would love to see how much Elliot would beat him by in an end zone to end zone sprint, if by any at all.

If the Cowboys start the year with DDog as their feature back, it could end up being really fun to watch.

In this day and age, it is extremely rare for a starting RB to be 30 or older.  You just don't see it much anymore.

As for DMac's speed, I know that when he came to Dallas 2 years ago, he was timed (at their workout site) in a sub 4.4 forty (4.38, 4.39).  I would expect he's still a true 4.5 or better - but don't know that for a fact.  Guess we will find out.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogfan46 on July 17, 2017, 10:50:34 am
Latest report is that Elliot punched and broke the nose of a drunk guy that was harassing a women that was with his group.

That's a heartwarming story, and I really mean that, but when you hang around bars you subject yourself to those kinds of incidents.  It's the main reason I quit going a long time ago.  There's always some guy with a mouth and an attitude, and if you're one of those people who can't or doesn't want to let it go there is plenty of trouble to be found.

Pig in the Pokey

duh he better be ready. Elliot wont play the first 1/3 of the season.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 18, 2017, 02:42:16 pm
That's a heartwarming story, and I really mean that, but when you hang around bars you subject yourself to those kinds of incidents.  It's the main reason I quit going a long time ago.  There's always some guy with a mouth and an attitude, and if you're one of those people who can't or doesn't want to let it go there is plenty of trouble to be found.
while i'd normally agree, in Elliot's case, it just adds to the "he is violent and makes just stupid decisions" narrative.

threeNout

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 18, 2017, 02:29:38 pm
In this day and age, it is extremely rare for a starting RB to be 30 or older.  You just don't see it much anymore.

yep, very rare to play much past 30, but guys like Walker, Emmitt Smith and others were able to, and isn't Adrian Peterson still going?  there are some, and I'm suggesting DMac may be one.

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 18, 2017, 02:29:38 pm

As for DMac's speed, I know that when he came to Dallas 2 years ago, he was timed (at their workout site) in a sub 4.4 forty (4.38, 4.39).  I would expect he's still a true 4.5 or better - but don't know that for a fact.  Guess we will find out.

If he's still basically 4.4 that's pretty awesome. 

From the time he was being drafted, many said the team he'd go to would be so vital.

Two years ago was the first time he played on an even decent team, and he ran on pace for a 2K yd season.

He's never once started a season on a great team, with a great line and a passing threat (what Elliot enjoyed his first year).

If it plays out that way for him this year, it seems completely feasible that he could meet or even surpass the pace he had going in '15.

Would love to see Dmac leading the NFL in rushing by week 6, by about 200 yards. :)

Jackrabbit Hog

Wish I had time to look for my old posts when the Cowboys drafted Elliott, but I said then that he had character issues.  I got shouted down for that. 

Yeah, he's a great back and no doubt he'll play many games and gain tons of yards this year, but he's got character issues and I don't see them getting any better.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hobhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 18, 2017, 02:42:16 pm

Or....don't hang out in bars full of low lifes late night. Just sayin....

hobhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 18, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
while i'd normally agree, in Elliot's case, it just adds to the "he is violent and makes just stupid decisions" narrative.

Well.....

Dmac is fortunate he is in Dallas instead of hanging with his relatives back home.

Could be perfect siruation for him this year in several ways.

threeNout

Quote from: hobhog on July 18, 2017, 06:23:07 pm

Could be perfect siruation for him this year in several ways.

few deserve it more.

Tejano Jawg

Even though I've lost interest, here's a Zeke update. Funny opening line from an article a couple days ago—As the Cowboys prepare to leave for camp in 5 days, remind me again about the health of Darren McFadden. Since then, amid the ambiguity of the Zeke case, the police have temporarily given up. (Or Jerry's crack team of lawyers have headed it off.)

So...here's a selfie with DMac from season before last. I was sitting with some friends in a strange field-level suite. Late in this game—vs Seattle—DMac had an awesome, tough 30 yard run to the 4 yard line (right behind where I shot this pic.) But it was called back for an illegal shift, and the Cowboys kept going backwards. They didn't even get a field goal out of it and the Cowboys lost by one point. DMac's run would have been the game-winner. It's this kind of bad luck that always seems to be hanging around. Maybe he'll catch a break this year.

Hoggish1

Sadly Dmac is done

Yep.  That game vs. Bama in Nick's first year, where he banged DMac off tackle repeatedly ruined him for the rest of his career.

Mo_Better_Hogs

McFadden has plenty left, for the reasons mentioned above. His time off the field is significant. Like last year, sitting out most of the season with a non-football injury. The question for him isn't the mileage/wear-and-tear, it's the football sharpness/quickness/speed. Does he still have that? I think we'll see, no matter what happens to Zeke Elliot.

T-Jawg, nice shirt, by the way. Where'd you get that?

Soooie21

Sadly Dmac is done

He still has gas in the tank.

jgphillips3

McFadden can be productive for another 2-3 years.  Yeah, he will never be 2006 DMAC again but the on field speed in the NFL neutralizes his amazing speed.  However, if he was the featured back, I could see him getting 1000 yards plus in a couple more seasons.  As is, he is a great asset as a seasoned veteran with time left behind a slightly erratic pup.  He'll do just fine if Zeke is out.  In fact, with the kind of threat that Dak poses, DMAC could find running a LOT easier than he ever has in his entire career.