Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which permanent East opponent would you rather- Tennessee or UGA?

Started by Hogwild, May 18, 2017, 08:12:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Hogwild on May 18, 2017, 12:35:01 pm
Probably not anytime soon, but it looks like Auburn's athletic dept. is interested

From Gus yesterday- http://gridironnow.com/gus-malzahn-auburn-sec-east-makes-sense/

If they were smart, Gus & Co. would push and push and pester the hell out of the SEC til they made this happen. Auburn could possibly have won the East last year, and would be a good bet this year.

Smart may be the guy for Georgia, but it's early. Florida has the wrong coach IMO. Carolina and UT (and maybe UK) look like perennial contenders for the Music City Bowl to me. Mizzou and Vanderbilt, well.....

The sooner Auburn could move to the East, the better Gus' job security becomes.

goodguytex

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 18, 2017, 08:23:52 pm
curb stomped?  We beat UT last we played.  UGA? We are 1-1 the last two meetings with them...
Last time, if I remember right, that Tennessee beat us was 2007, while Nutt was HC. During his last year. A game we had no business loing. We then beat them the last 2 times.

gchamblee

If Aubie moved east, then you run the risk of the SECCG most years being a rematch of a game played the week before. Won't happen.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on May 18, 2017, 08:12:51 am
With Pat Dye, Jay Jacobs, and Gus all saying in recent days that Auburn is open to moving to the East, with Missouri headed the West, our East opponent would have to change.

Auburn and Alabama would be matched up inter-division, that means in the East Georgia & Tennessee would need new permanent opponents with us and Missouri in the West being the two with out any.

I would prefer Tennessee, only because I would enjoy that trip a little more.

I hope this happens. I also want to chose a more beatable opponent Kentucky or Vandy.

PonderinHog

Georgia, a hotbed of SEC caliber athletes.  Maybe a linebacker or two will notice us.

runninhog

We've had some bad outcomes against Tennessee from time to time, but it's mostly a very entertaining series with exciting games. I'd love to see that game played in Memphis. The 1971 Liberty Bowl was my first Arkansas-Tennessee game. I was 9 years old, and it left quite an impression on me.
I think it would be more exciting for the fans than Vanderbilt.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

redleg

When the SEC adds Oklahoma and another team to make it a 16 school conference, Missouri will move to the West.
It also means the SEC will be forced to go to a 9 game conference slate, 7 division games, 1 permanent cross-division game, 1 rotating cross-division game. It's not very practical, nor would it provide any resemblance of conference competition with those schools that the Hogs (or any other SEC school) only played every ten to fourteen years, assuming it would be a two year, home and home arrangement with the rotating team.

I believe that when the SEC adds two more schools, the conference should break up into four divisions (North, South, East, and West) of four teams each. Forget cross-division permanent opponents.
Arkansas would be in the West with, presumably, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU. A tough division, but what a great set of games!
The South would be Ole Miss, Miss St, Alabama, and Auburn.
The East would be Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and another school TBA (maybe UNC).
The North would be Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, and Tennessee.
Each school would play the other three teams in their division, plus four teams from another division for two seasons, then that division would rotate off and another division rotates on. 7 conference games, 5 non-conference games.
The division winners would play in the SEC Semi-Finals on Thanksgiving weekend. The Finals the following weekend. Semi-Final and Finals sites would rotate between Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta.
It would work! The SEC was the first conference to have a conference championship. They should be the first to have conference semi-finals too!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

jgphillips3

Tennessee.  Also, I agree with Redleg.  I like the pod system if we go to 16.

Supermark101

Quote from: redleg on May 19, 2017, 08:50:17 am
When the SEC adds Oklahoma and another team to make it a 16 school conference, Missouri will move to the West.
It also means the SEC will be forced to go to a 9 game conference slate, 7 division games, 1 permanent cross-division game, 1 rotating cross-division game. It's not very practical, nor would it provide any resemblance of conference competition with those schools that the Hogs (or any other SEC school) only played every ten to fourteen years, assuming it would be a two year, home and home arrangement with the rotating team.

I believe that when the SEC adds two more schools, the conference should break up into four divisions (North, South, East, and West) of four teams each. Forget cross-division permanent opponents.
Arkansas would be in the West with, presumably, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU. A tough division, but what a great set of games!
The South would be Ole Miss, Miss St, Alabama, and Auburn.
The East would be Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and another school TBA (maybe UNC).
The North would be Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, and Tennessee.
Each school would play the other three teams in their division, plus four teams from another division for two seasons, then that division would rotate off and another division rotates on. 7 conference games, 5 non-conference games.
The division winners would play in the SEC Semi-Finals on Thanksgiving weekend. The Finals the following weekend. Semi-Final and Finals sites would rotate between Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta.
It would work! The SEC was the first conference to have a conference championship. They should be the first to have conference semi-finals too!

Wow, that north division is a real crap show. Not a bad day idea but 3 main problems.
1. No way Bama gives up Tennessee every year.
2. OU will not move without OSU. Way too much political pressure.
3. No way ESPN allows only 7 conference games. They want more interesting games to keep subscribers,  not less

Put OSU in the South, US in the North, and Kentucky in the East. Then add at least one cross division game a year that is the same.

Supermark101

redleg

Quote from: Supermark101 on May 19, 2017, 09:51:42 am
Wow, that north division is a real crap show. Not a bad day idea but 3 main problems.
1. No way Bama gives up Tennessee every year.
2. OU will not move without OSU. Way too much political pressure.
3. No way ESPN allows only 7 conference games. They want more interesting games to keep subscribers,  not less

Put OSU in the South, US in the North, and Kentucky in the East. Then add at least one cross division game a year that is the same.
If the SEC adds OU and Ok St, the West will be those two plus A&M and LSU. Arkansas would be in the North with Missouri, UK and Vandy. Tennessee would be in the East with SC, GA, and Flo. The South would not change - OM, MSU, Aub, and Al.
I do see the Tide giving up Tennessee, or rather, Tennessee giving up the Tide. With the system I outlined, Bama and the Vols would still play each other every fifth and sixth year.
If cross-division games are truly that important to some, a compromise could be reached.....
.....Assign each team a primary and a secondary cross-division opponent. Let's say Arkansas' primary would be Ole Miss. When the North Division was playing the East and West, Arkansas' 8th SEC game would be vs Ole Miss. When the North is playing the South, Ole Miss' division, Arkansas would play Texas A&M for those two years. Problem solved, and we don't have to hear ESPN bitch and moan about anything.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hogcard1964

I'd rather the SEC shaved off Missouri and Texas A & M.  There's a few too many teams currently.  I realize what A & M brings to the conference, but come on already.  Neither of those teams belong.  Missouri brings nothing anyway.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogwild on May 18, 2017, 07:59:31 pm
Those rumors are for a more polite word, false. No way the SEC adds a team that would cost them revenue. 

OU is handicapped because they turned their back on their conference traditional rivals, Nebraska/Colorado/Missouri, for the Longhorns.  Now the OK legislature wants to handcuff the two schools, which won't happen.

The Pac 12 passed on the 4 team packaged deal back in '11 because of OK State, the Big 10 is a non starter for Ok State.  And the SEC & ACC both  passed on West Virginia, so their is no way they add Ok State.

Adding OU and OSU would not cost the SEC revenue because OU is not just a regional team, they have appeal nationwide and would greatly enlarge the SEC's viewing audience to the point that taking OSU would be worth it to get OU.

OU is not handicapped.

That deal involved 6 teams (Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, OU, OSU, and Colorado) but the deal failed because A&M wouldn't go along with it and as a result, Texas backed away from it because they were afraid the Aggies would jump to the SEC if the Horns didn't agree to try to salvage the Big 12 (Obviously the Aggies left anyway and the Missouri Tigers followed later).

goodguytex

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 19, 2017, 09:36:15 am
Tennessee.  Also, I agree with Redleg.  I like the pod system if we go to 16.
I like it too.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 19, 2017, 02:23:00 pm
I'd rather the SEC shaved off Missouri and Texas A & M.  There's a few too many teams currently.  I realize what A & M brings to the conference, but come on already.  Neither of those teams belong.  Missouri brings nothing anyway.
Man I wish this would happen. I don't like the super size leagues but it is here to stay.  No way of getting a true champions when many teams don't play each other. All about the schedule. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 19, 2017, 02:23:00 pm

Honestly the SEC probably would want to get rid of Arkansas and Missouri if they were to cut out 2 teams.  Texas A&M isn't going anywhere because they bring the SEC into Texas.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 19, 2017, 10:41:58 pm
Honestly the SEC probably would want to get rid of Arkansas and Missouri if they were to cut out 2 teams.  Texas A&M isn't going anywhere because they bring the SEC into Texas.
I wouldn't mind having 8 guaranteed wins every year

Mike_e

I have liked the pods idea for a while.  It just makes sense.

Aubie and bama are joined more closely than OU/OSU in that neither wants the other to have an easier time than they do nor do they want the other to have any more leverage in recruiting.

So unless they both move there won't be any realignment.  The only way they both move is with the addition of two more schools and then pods are the only way they can both have their cake and eat it too ie not loosing any rivalries.

There is a reason after all that the SEC HQ is in Alabama.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

southeasthog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 09:38:31 am
Our lifetime record against Tennessee is 5-13.  Against UGA it's 4-10.  For God's sakes we have losing records to both Kentucky and Missouri as well.

So, you like to use the 21-5 for Bobby, discounting his first two years but argue for history over recent success against Tennessee and Georgia. Sound logic. 
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 18, 2017, 08:39:14 am
+1000

Kentucky campus is beautiful.

Went to U of Krogerwealth stadium back in 05. Biggest bunch of low-bred, redneck, mouth-breathing scrum I've ever encountered. Throwing water bottles at children.

Living in Louisville, I would HATE if the KrogerKats were our permanent cause the only way I'd go back to that couch-, tv-burning hellhole is if the Kentucky legislature outdid Arkansas' and actually allowed CCDW in the stadium.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2017, 04:01:36 pm
Adding OU and OSU would not cost the SEC revenue because OU is not just a regional team, they have appeal nationwide and would greatly enlarge the SEC's viewing audience to the point that taking OSU would be worth it to get OU.

OU is not handicapped.

That deal involved 6 teams (Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, OU, OSU, and Colorado) but the deal failed because A&M wouldn't go along with it and as a result, Texas backed away from it because they were afraid the Aggies would jump to the SEC if the Horns didn't agree to try to salvage the Big 12 (Obviously the Aggies left anyway and the Missouri Tigers followed later).

After the 6 teams deal didn't go through, the Oklahoma schools tried again and were told no by the Pac-12 Presidents.

QuoteThe Pac-12 Conference announced Tuesday night that it would not expand at this time, apparently ending one of the two stated options of OU and OSU

But if the Pac-12 closed the door on the Sooners — and some sources indicated Scott failed to muster support from his presidents to get the Oklahoma schools admitted — then OU would have lost its bargaining power. 
http://newsok.com/article/3606252

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/02/report-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-surprised-by-pac-12-snub/

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/113902/would-oklahoma-be-better-off-in-sec

The reason that those two schools(OU/OKST) are still in a conference that they don't want to be in is their state legislature, is forcing them to be a package deal. And it doesn't make any financial sense to add both, that's why no one has offered them.  If the SEC adds OU, teams from Kansas, North Carolina, and Virginia would be in line ahead of Ok St.
QuoteOklahoma is another story. It and Oklahoma State seriously considered jumping to the Pac-12 in 2011 until the conference out west declined to take them.
Adding one school creates an untenable membership of 15, so someone else would have to come along with OU. Oklahoma State would be the least messy option, but it would be out of step with the conference's incentives.

Expansion last time around was an opportunity to build up the subscriber base for the soon-to-come SEC Network. Adding Texas and Missouri increased the population in the conference's footprint by 53 percent based on 2011 estimates. None of the Big 12 states besides Texas is all that large, but the preferable goal would be to add multiple states.

The dream partner to Oklahoma would be Kansas. It would bring another new state, create a blockbuster basketball rivalry with Kentucky, and reignite the Border War with Missouri. KU would be a target for both the Big Ten and ACC, however, and I think it'd probably end up in one of those leagues. Oklahoma's partner for the SEC must come from a different state, West Virginia is more likely than Kansas State. KSU is less of a draw than WVU, and its football could face a steep drop-off once Bill Snyder retires for good.  Though the Mountaineers are a notable team in the revenue sports, the low population of their home state doesn't promise much for the SEC Network. The SEC also reportedly rejected WVU as an expansion candidate last time around.

QuoteOU should make every effort to join the SEC as soon as financially possible," he said. "One, to join what is currently considered the most elite college football conference in the nation. Second, and most importantly, to get away from Texas."

Of course, there's also Oklahoma State. Thanks to T. Boone Pickens' money and Mike Gundy's coaching, the Cowboys have improved their football program dramatically over the past 10 years. The SEC, however, might not be thrilled with the prospect of adding two schools from the same state, especially one that doesn't claim a top-40 TV market.

carolinahogger

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on May 18, 2017, 08:49:30 am

Mizzu - Vandy  (two crappy teams deserve each other)

Now, if we could just improve our 1-2 SEC record against that crappy Mizzou team...

carolinahogger

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 19, 2017, 10:25:55 pm
No way of getting a true champions when many teams don't play each other. All about the schedule.

Yeah, all about the schedule.  The same 4 or 5 teams keep getting easy schedules.

LZH

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on May 20, 2017, 07:12:42 am

Went to U of Krogerwealth stadium back in 05. Biggest bunch of low-bred, redneck, mouth-breathing scrum I've ever encountered. Throwing water bottles at children.

Living in Louisville, I would HATE if the KrogerKats were our permanent cause the only way I'd go back to that couch-, tv-burning hellhole is if the Kentucky legislature outdid Arkansas' and actually allowed CCDW in the stadium.

....and for those of us who aren't tuned in to your rant, what is CCDW again?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 20, 2017, 12:27:08 am
I wouldn't mind having 8 guaranteed wins every year

That would be nice.  Where can we go for that?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogwild on May 20, 2017, 09:24:48 am
After the 6 teams deal didn't go through, the Oklahoma schools tried again and were told no by the Pac-12 Presidents.
http://newsok.com/article/3606252

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/02/report-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-surprised-by-pac-12-snub/

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/113902/would-oklahoma-be-better-off-in-sec

The reason that those two schools(OU/OKST) are still in a conference that they don't want to be in is their state legislature, is forcing them to be a package deal. And it doesn't make any financial sense to add both, that's why no one has offered them.  If the SEC adds OU, teams from Kansas, North Carolina, and Virginia would be in line ahead of Ok St.

The reason the 2 Oklahoma Schools were turned down was because Colorado was already going to the Pac 10 and a 3 team deal was not workable. Since they couldn't find another team to make it a four-some, OU and Okla State got left out. If Ou and Okla State would both agree to the move to the SEC, it would happen very soon. OU is the one stopping the deal, not Okla State. The Sooners are afraid leaving the Big 12 for the SEC would hurt their recruiting in Texas.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: LZH on May 20, 2017, 10:33:22 am
....and for those of us who aren't tuned in to your rant, what is CCDW again?
Concealed Carry.......
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

LZH

ALLVOL

There's no chance they do away with the UT vs bammer game. Big money people at both schools won't allow it to go away.

ALLVOL

rlamb

Why  would anyone want to play either one pf those SOB's every year. We have it more
than hard enough dealing with what we have in the WEST?