Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Oman and UAE on vacation

Started by Tomhog™, January 17, 2010, 01:10:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

I'm having a heck of a vacation here in these Middle East countries.  Been here just over a week with almost a week left.  I am actually surprised at how modernized the people are here.  They just haven't learned how to drive safely yet.

I spent the last two days in the desert at a villa owned by an oil company here.  All the best local foods.  Leg of lamb was my favorite.  We also did some dune riding in 4X4s and visited a camel farm where we have to drink camel milk as customary here.  Not as bad as I thought it would be.

We squeezed in a quick trip to Dubai on the way back to see the newly crowned tallest building in the world.  Quite a sight if you ask me.  The rate of construction in the UAE is nothing short of astounding.  Cranes everywhere erecting new buildings and road work to accommodate the increasing traffic.

This week should be slower-paced as the folks in Oman don't drive nearly so crazy and the population is a good bit less as well.  Think we will go see the beach some more and some centuries-old fortresses. 

It sure is nice to be in nothing but shorts and tees for two weeks!