Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas-Tennessee Game Thread (Hogs Win 13-11)

Started by hogfan13, April 02, 2006, 11:35:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PoconoHog

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

HokieHawg

Wow, seems as though neither Ark or Tenn has very good pitching. This could be a problem down the road, but I'll gladly take the win today!!!!

hogfan13

PoconoHog

Poor pitching and poor infield defense
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

V. V. Hawg

The wind had a lot to do with the high score.  TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many errors! ARG!!!!!

hogfan13

Thank you. Yes I did a good job updating today

BigPapaHawg

An ugly win, but still a Win! Way to go diamond Hogs!
WOO PIG

pigsooie1000

we took advantage of the home field wind effect.  Good, big win for the Hogs.  Good to hear some hitting even if it was wind-aided.  Pitching and defense remains a concern, especially Rhoads uncharacteristically walking 3 men and hitting one.  Had only walked 2 all year before today.  But all in all, good win and lets roll the momentum into next week.  WPS!!!

hogfan13

YES I DID DO A NICE THING BY MISSING TODAY'S GAME TO UPDATE FOR HOGVILLE

Maddhog

YES YOU DID!  I had some obligations and missed most of it but I always appreciate the updates.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

hogfan13

Quote from: Maddhog on April 02, 2006, 04:43:57 pm
YES YOU DID!  I had some obligations and missed most of it but I always appreciate the updates.
Your welcome. Luckly my girlfriend didn't get in the way of me updating

Maddhog

You should never let a woman interfere with your duty to Hogville. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

PorcineSublime

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on April 02, 2006, 04:30:55 pm
we took advantage of the home field wind effect.  Good, big win for the Hogs.  Good to hear some hitting even if it was wind-aided.  Pitching and defense remains a concern, especially Rhoads uncharacteristically walking 3 men and hitting one.  Had only walked 2 all year before today.  But all in all, good win and lets roll the momentum into next week.  WPS!!!
Picky umpires had something to do with the walks. His strike zone was very small, and both teams pitchers struggled at times. Not a good day to shrink the strike zone, but at least he was calling both ways. I bounce back and forth between thinking that there is no way that this is a top ten team and then again, the top teams win when not playing well, so who knows.

We need some consistant pitching and our middle infielders have to grow up fast and stop giving the other team extra outs. All in all a very poor weekend for execution and we still got two of three. WPS
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogs777

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Awsome game. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!

ballhog™

Yes, the defense did not help the pitchers much.  Had some timely hitting (homeruns).  Tennessee looked like the better team most of the day, but Parker redeemed himself.  Glad I didn't leave early like I thought about.  Maybe this win can get us going.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

heathshogs

Quote from: thehill1414 on April 02, 2006, 03:22:54 pm
This is ridiculous. Why do we not have more than one person who can pitch? Recruiting? Developing? I seriously don't know...
Perhaps a combo of all these things. We definitely should have a pair coming into this season but Boyce hasn't pitched well yet maybe that he hasn't worked out all his mechanics sincce surgery in hte fall. Kyle Hancock (recruit) might have cracked the line-up but he got drafted and decided to take a major league deal for half of what he told DVH he would need to go pro. Then after a week in the minors realized Baum would have been a much nicer place to develop for a couple years. Another possible option was Josh Smith who is injured for the season.

And I'm sure most of you who care to read this thread have noticed by now baseball recruiting is not like other major sports. With only barely more scholarships than players on the field, and mlb draft pulling off most of the top HS prospects it's tough to k now what your going to get each year. It's really tough to convince a kid that can get even a $50,000 signing bonus that he should come to school where you can promise him maybe a half scholarship. Imagine college basketball with only 6 scholarships to give. Which leads to the point that it's not just us that has 1 guy who can pitch. It's a problem all over the country. Your top 100 teams will probably have 1 great pitcher. Your top 50 will have another good starter or maybe a great closer. If you have 2 great starters or 3 good ones you can pencil yourself into the top 20.   

I don't want to just throw the rest of the staff under the bus though. There are a lot of good arms that make fine SEC pitcher, but haven't been consistent. Guys like Seibert, Gilbert, and Collis are decent options. To be fair to pithcers in today's game, Holloway I believe only gave up 2 maybe 3 Earned runs as did Rhoads and if you take away those homers which would have been long outs the guys did quite well. (Our score would not be impressive either).

Going into this weekend we were 3rd in the SEC in ER and Avg against. So it's not really on pitchers' shoulders at this point.   
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

ballhog™

I have never known why baseball gets so few scholarships.  Does anyone know? 
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

WilsonHog

Quote from: ballhog on April 02, 2006, 05:57:36 pm

My best guess is because it is largely a non-revenue sport. At least historically. I know that for a long time the only Razorback baseball player to ever be on a full ride was Kevin McReynolds.  Jeff King might have been as well, but the list is an extremely short one.

msudawgs64

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 02, 2006, 06:59:22 pm

My best guess is because it is largely a non-revenue sport.

Title IX..

When this was all the rage it was decided that all NCAA DI men's sports scholarship totals would be reduced by 10%, across the board.  If you look at total allowable scholarships for men's sports you will see the unusual amounts, like 11.7 for baseball. This came as a result of reducing the previous number (13) by 10%.

Did you know that the NCAA Division I men's baseball College World Series is the second largest championsip series sponsored by the NCAA?  The baseball regionals, super-regionals and CWS are surpassed in revenue generated for the NCAA only by the men's basketball tournament. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

WilsonHog

April 02, 2006, 07:19:45 pm #319 Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 07:22:41 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 02, 2006, 07:12:15 pm

Title IX..

When this was all the rage it was decided that all NCAA DI men's sports scholarship totals would be reduced by 10%, across the board.  If you look at total allowable scholarships for men's sports you will see the unusual amounts, like 11.7 for baseball. This came as a result of reducing the previous number (13) by 10%.

Did you know that the NCAA Division I men's baseball College World Series is the second largest championsip series sponsored by the NCAA?  The baseball regionals, super-regionals and CWS are surpassed in revenue generated for the NCAA only by the men's basketball tournament. 

I didn't think about Title IX, but you're right.

Still, even with 13 scholarships those would have to be spread out for 40 players. Although there are other trends at play as well, the relatively few number of baseball scholarships available has to be a contributing factor as to why so few college baseball players are African-American.

How many minorities would populate college football rosters if there were only 24 scholarships available for an 85-man roster, or four scholarships available for a basketball roster? 

lyon98

Thanks to those that do the work on baseball threads. I appreciate it.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

msudawgs64

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 02, 2006, 07:19:45 pm
Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 02, 2006, 07:12:15 pm

Title IX..

I didn't think about Title IX, but you're right.

Still, even with 13 scholarships those would have to be spread out for 40 players. Although there are other trends at play as well, the relatively few number of baseball scholarships available has to be a contributing factor as to why so few college baseball players are African-American.

How many minorities would populate college football rosters if there were only 24 scholarships available for an 85-man roster, or four scholarships available for a basketball roster? 

absolutely agree with you, does make one go hmmmm..another reason for fewer African-American baseball players on the college ranks in programs that are not considered a historically black college, such as Grambling and Southern is that if the kid is good enough, they can get drafted right out of high school, has always been like that but really has gone unnoticed or rather no one made a big deal out of it like basketball, since most high schoolers drafted go  down to the rookie leagues where, for the most part, they are playing against players with the same skill sets and make way less than a high schooler going straight to the NBA makes.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.