Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where are the Van Horn Haters

Started by jdhoover, March 19, 2006, 08:49:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhoover

This guy just blew 2 games in three days at Florida.  A seven-run lead in the 7th inning?  If his name were Nutt or Heath this board would be filled up with FIRE HIM NOW!!!

Why does this guy get a pass?

Just curious.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

Kodiak

Because with these two losses the Hogs will still be in the top 20.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Richard_white

Quote from: jdhoover on March 19, 2006, 08:49:58 pm
This guy just blew 2 games in three days at Florida.  A seven-run lead in the 7th inning?  If his name were Nutt or Heath this board would be filled up with FIRE HIM NOW!!!

Just curious.

Didn't he take us to a college world series

oops my bad

jdhoover

Didn't Nutt take us to 2 SECCG.  Oops, my bad.  The baseball team has played 3 or 4 respectable teams in this pre-conference season, kina like Heath.  His career SEC record is .500, kinda like Nutt.  I'm just wondering, that's all.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

pioneerhog

FIRE DVH

Just joking he is one of the few REAL coaches we have on campus.

Richard_white

Quote from: jdhoover on March 19, 2006, 08:59:39 pm
Didn't Nutt take us to 2 SECCG.  Oops, my bad.  The baseball team has played 3 or 4 respectable teams in this pre-conference season, kina like Heath.  His career SEC record is .500, kinda like Nutt.  I'm just wondering, that's all.

You are comparing apples to oranges.  HDN last 2 season is 9-13

Bowl record is horrible

Stan "wait until next year" Heath has a horrifying record agianst SEC play

pseudorabies

March 19, 2006, 09:14:24 pm #6 Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 09:16:56 pm by pseudorabies

Nope, Nutt took us to ONE SECCG and has yet to score a TD.  But to his credit, he was able to stay within 30 points against Georgia. 

Arkapigdiesel

Just curious.
I'm assuming you are joking.  If you aren't joking, then please quit whatever intoxicating substance you are on.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

jdhoover

I was joking, in a sense.  I do find it odd that the fans aren't as upset with the dealing is Florida this weekend.  It is probably that it is baseball, not football or basketball, that board is not blowing up.  But as a baseball fan, I am embarrassed by the play of the Razorback baseball team this weekend to blow two very, very winnable games.

zwhogfan

so what, the hogs lost a few winnable games. we are still in the top 20 and van horn has improved the program ever since he arrived. Heath has lost numerous winnable games in his time here and has not improved the basketball program nearly as much as van horn has the baseball program. That is why no one is calling for DVH's head

jdhoover

FYI - Heath has constant improvement since he has arrived.  Check the records.  Maybe not at the pace some of us would like but, steady improvement.  Going from 4-12 to 10-6 in SEC play along is a significant improvement.

LordVader

the problem is you can't afford to lose a couple of winnable games.  Especially on the road.  Especially to the preseason favorite at their place.  Winning 2 out of 3 every weekend means going 20-10 and winning the league.  Start going 1-2 on the weekend and you're in big trouble.  And it is hard to make these games up in this league.  Their are no Vanderbilts like football.  oops, bad example. 

TennesseeRaz

Because baseball is a cure for insomnia, nothing more.

Maddhog

That would very much be a matter of opinion.  I love the game, especially the way DVH coaches it.

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

CharlieHog

Quote from: jdhoover on March 19, 2006, 09:23:29 pm
I was joking, in a sense.  I do find it odd that the fans aren't as upset with the dealing is Florida this weekend.  It is probably that it is baseball, not football or basketball, that board is not blowing up.  But as a baseball fan, I am embarrassed by the play of the Razorback baseball team this weekend to blow two very, very winnable games.

I'm as big of a baseball fan as anybody and while I'm upset that we lost, it's not like Dave Van Horn made a bad coaching decision. It's not like he had a bad strategy. It's not like we lost to a clearly inferior team.

We lost to a top 15 team on the road in the SEC. There is more parity in baseball in the SEC than there is in any other sport in any other conference in the country.

I mean if you want to talk about winnable games, Saturday was very winnable for the Gators but they gave it away, just like we did on Friday and Sunday. That's how it goes in this league. We could have swept but we also could have been swept. That's why we play 56 games, because those things even themselves out over the course of a very long season.

This is the very first weekend of the conference season. There is a long way to go. You just can't push the panic button in baseball like you do in football or basketball.

Flatline

I can't believe this thread was even posted.  Stupid.

Hog1751

Actually he's only taken us to 1 SECG and we got raped while there.

hogman64

to put it simply..........there are numerous reasons to gripe about Heath or Nutt........if you are griping about Van Horn.. you are a total idiot...........

cmevere1027

oh hell the guy is 57-56 in sec baseball play we should be used to mediocroity, were hog fans oh and to blow a 7-0 lead in the 7th im used to that too im a cubs fan

CharlieHog

When Heath makes an Elite 8 or Nutt makes it to a BCS bowl, then you can compare them.

Maddhog

There ya go.  Good post, CharlieHog.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

WilsonHog

To the extent that DVH is getting a "free pass," I would suspect that it is due to (1) his no-nonsense coaching style, which fans can relate to; (2) the fact that we won the SEC West and played in the CWS in only his second year at UA; and (3) that he took two teams to the CWS before he ever came to Arkansas, which arguably gave him the best resume of any coach we've ever hired at UA.

Ugly Uncle

March 19, 2006, 10:57:11 pm #22 Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 11:02:28 pm by uglyuncle
Quote from: Flatline on March 19, 2006, 10:31:27 pm
I can't believe this thread was even posted.  Stupid.

Retired Radio Host

mj4president

Some of you are the worst fans I have ever seen. You are the fans that think you know what you are talking about and you really have no clue. Fire this fire that. We could win 2 national championships but if they had a losing season the next year it would be off with their head.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

freedomcounty

Keep Nutt, Keep Heath, Immortalize DVH.

LordVader

I feel DVH is a great coach and feel lucky we have him.  I just stated that it hurts to not come away with a 2-1 or 3-0 record with the chances we had on the road against a quality opponent.  I'm sure he feels the same way. 

PHill94

I wouldn't fire him just because under him we swept LSU at LSU for the first time in like 30  years  and also took us to the CWS that year. This thread is stupid beyond words.

hit_that_line

Van Horn blew it by putting in our worst pitcher in a critical situation.

CharlieHog

Quote from: hit_that_line on March 20, 2006, 09:01:49 am
Van Horn blew it by putting in our worst pitcher in a critical situation.

Which one?

RAZORBART

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 19, 2006, 10:23:46 pm
Quote from: jdhoover on March 19, 2006, 09:23:29 pm

I'm as big of a baseball fan as anybody and while I'm upset that we lost, it's not like Dave Van Horn made a bad coaching decision. It's not like he had a bad strategy. It's not like we lost to a clearly inferior team.

We lost to a top 15 team on the road in the SEC. There is more parity in baseball in the SEC than there is in any other sport in any other conference in the country.

I mean if you want to talk about winnable games, Saturday was very winnable for the Gators but they gave it away, just like we did on Friday and Sunday. That's how it goes in this league. We could have swept but we also could have been swept. That's why we play 56 games, because those things even themselves out over the course of a very long season.

This is the very first weekend of the conference season. There is a long way to go. You just can't push the panic button in baseball like you do in football or basketball.

Good explanation !!!! Did our pitching get weak on him Sunday ??  I didn't get to listen so have no idea but I agree with what you said.
Difference between Vanhorn,Nuttz, and heath......Van horn is a winner and knows what he is doing while the other two are in over their heads and ain't got a clue.

hogfan064

The SEC has 8 legit national championship contenders in baseball every year.  Florida played for the NC last year.  We played them on the road 1,000 miles from home.  The whole curfew thing took alot of focus away from the team in the late innings IMO.  Just winning 1 in Gainsville has me satisfied.  Florida was preseason #2 if I'm not mistaken.

djgaffer

There is a point to this thread, but it's not that people should start hating on Van Horn.  I think most would agree that right at .500 is mediocre.  Granted, you're mediocre in the best league in the country.  That is pretty much the same as in football.  We're in the middle of the best league in the country.  (last 2 years excluded)

So, why is DVH so highly regarded when posters create genetalia nicknames to bash the football program?  It's been said in this thread it's because we have been to a college world series. 

This is how narrow the window is.  If Brady Toops hits a ball 10 feet shorter, or if Charley Boyce can't throw 95 pitches on Sunday after throwing 110 on Saturday, the Hogs have nothing but failed regional tourney appearances to go with that .500 record.  I don't know what the perception of DVH would be "if", but I'm sure he wouldn't be on the pedistal he is today.  He would still be as good of a coach, but his perception is much different because essentially two guys stepped up and made plays on the biggest of stages.

Lastly, it seems to be easier to blame players in baseball than in other sports.  We lost our baseball games this weekend because we made errors and our pitching depth got us in game 3.  We lost our game against Bucknell.  You can find 500 posts about Heath being an idiot, but very few about missed free throws and lack of players execution.  There is a "pass" there, in the way DVH is perceived.  I think that is the point, if there is one, to the thread.

hogfan064

Right at .500 in the SEC in baseball is not mediocre.  Look at all the SEC's coaches in that 3 year period and none have a record that high over .500.  Finish 18-12 in the SEC and you'll be SEC Champs.  15-15 will make you a top 15 team and a regional host.   14-16 gets you a #2 seed in a regional.   Everyone in the SEC is great.  Few would argue that Ray Tanner has been the leagues most productive coach since 2000.  His record last year was 16-14 in league play.  Ray Tanner is far from mediocre and so is DVH

hogfan064

DVH has been to 3 CWS in the last  5 years.   Only South Carolina, Texas, Cal State, and LSU can say this.

fineswine

Keeping DVH should be a priority.  We should feel fortunate to have someone over one of the sports with actual credentials.  None of this sub .500 football in their previous year at another school, or tourney run in only year as a HC (aka Steve Fisher).  The university will be lucky to get him to stay.

Hoghead

Just curious.

Because it's Baseball!  As bad as Chuck Barrett and a handful of others want to pump up Hog Baseball as a alternitive to Sub-Par Basketball and Football Programs. Hog Baseball will never do that. No one in the Hog Nation sits at the ALabama Game in Football wondering what The baseball team is gonna be like. Now they'll say I wonder if Stan is gonna have good basketball team at that same Bama Football Game. 

CharlieHog

Here's the real reason that nobody is on DVH:

There aren't that many Hog fans that *really* care about baseball (at least, not to the extent that they care about football and basketball).

So while everybody would be pretty happy if the team did well, there aren't that many that are really upset when the Hogs lose in baseball.

I'd say there are probably only a few thousand hardcore baseball fans, and most of them know enough about baseball and have followed college baseball long enough to know that one weekend doesn't mean a whole lot, one way or another.

And DVH isn't going anywhere. He's not leaving us for another school, and we're not getting rid of him. Period.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Hoghead on March 20, 2006, 09:54:10 am

Because it's Baseball!  As bad as Chuck Barrett and a handful of others want to pump up Hog Baseball as a alternitive to Sub-Par Basketball and Football Programs. Hog Baseball will never do that. No one in the Hog Nation sits at the ALabama Game in Football wondering what The baseball team is gonna be like. Now they'll say I wonder if Stan is gonna have good basketball team at that same Bama Football Game. 

You got in ahead of me, basically the same thing I was getting at.

Burnt Orange Sucks

Because less people care about baseball right now than Basketball or football.
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

jdhoover

Charlie, hoghead, and djgaffer make my point exactly. 

1) It's baseball and very few Arkansas fans really care.
2) There is a pass because two players made plays in one game.  Players have not made those plays for the others in similar situations.

If Clint Stoener doesn't fumble, Hogs play in BCS bowl and possibly for the NC.
If Hogs don't shoot <50% in FT against Bucknell in the 2nd half or if Brewer hits the 10-jumper with 15 seconds to go, they are in the sweet sixteen.

CharlieHog

Quote from: jdhoover on March 20, 2006, 12:08:26 pm

2) There is a pass because two players made plays in one game.  Players have not made those plays for the others in similar situations.

If Hogs don't shoot <50% in FT against Bucknell in the 2nd half or if Brewer hits the 10-jumper with 15 seconds to go, they are in the sweet sixteen.

Well,  I mean, I care. I care more about baseball than I do about football or basketball, but I realize that I'm in the minority.

And also...Dave Van Horn is a GREAT coach. He has won at every level he's been at and I believe he will win at Arkansas. He has a history of building programs.

And as long as we're dealing with IFs, well, IF our two best hitters weren't suspended, and our best relief pitcher hadn't been hurt last season...I really don't think we would have lost as many games as we did in conference play.

DVH has had us in the post season every year he's been here. That's really the only stat I need.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: jdhoover on March 20, 2006, 12:08:26 pm

NO, NO, NO.

There are no haters because whether you want to admit it or not, Arkansas has an intelligent fan base.  You are posting on the assumptions that NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO SPORTS. 

This is a silly thread...and here is why.

NUTT has made just terrible mistakes on a consistent basis for years now.  His calls, game time decisions, postgame comments cannot be explained by any intelligent, informed person.  It has been quite clear that he has some deficiency as a head coach.  You just can't explain away some of the things he has done.

HEATH has not appeared to give this team any direction.  Our record has improved, but is it due to better talent, an easier schedule, or some other reason.  There are still some things that he does that just doesn't make sense to the casual (much less the informed) observer.  There doesn't seem to be an identity with this basketball team. This causes those that do have some knowledge of basketball and coaching to be frustrated with the situation.

VAN HORN is an aggressive coach that has given his team a personality and intensity.  There are not just an over abundance of things during the game that you look at and say, "Wow, why would he do something like that?"  Which is what you get with the other two coaches CONSTANTLY. 

Before you go off on, "Oh, so you are smarter than Heath and/or Nutt" that is not what I am saying.  Well, not necessarily saying.  But we (at least not all of us) fans are  not ignorant either.  We are an informed fan base and recognize quality in people and in coaching.  This kind of thread is an affront to anyone that is intelligent in the ways of football, basketball, or baseball. 

To even ask this kind of question shows a lack of ability to think clearly and objectively about any or all of these sports.  This is a silly question and a silly thread...with an agenda to defend one or both of the coaches in our money making sports.  Having an agenda is the only way I can explain the purpose for even posting such a thing.
Retired Radio Host

TuckFexas

DVH had no part in the loss yesterday. We were up 7-0 after 6 innings. He ran Boyce out there for the 7th, because he was obviously on. Boyce and Parker made critical errors that allowed Florida to get back in it. You can't coach your player into not making an error. It happens. Boyce was tired and DVH had to go to the bullpen. Want to know why we lost? Cause our bullpen is not that strong. Holloway was spent on Saturday and everyone else is too inconsistent (except maybe Seibert) who pitched on Saturday as well. If you have any knowledge of baseball, you'd understand that there is no reason for DVH to be called out on this series. Throw in the fact that Florida is stacked with talent and we were playing at their place and we were in all three games with a chance to win.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

mutdog

There are some facts coming out in this thread that have merit. 

It seems that most are willing to admit that .500 in baseball is respectable because of how strong the SEC is.

In football it is my opinion that this same line of thinking also applies.  But, it is obvious in football when the coach is predictable in his play calling.  It is easier to pinpoint reasons to criticize the coach.  Certainly the SEC is tough in football that is why it is so disturbing to see close games slip away because of so called bad play calling.  I hope that this coming year with the new offensive coordinator, the play calling will be less predictable.  Will it translate into more wins? We shall see.

EastexHawg

Comparing baseball won-loss records to football and basketball records is asinine.

The best teams in major league baseball win around 60-65% of their games (60% would be a record of 97-65, which would have been the third-best record in the majors last year and would have won four of the six divisions.  65% would be 105-57, which would be one of the better records of the last 40 years).

Meanwhile, NFL and college football teams routinely go through seasons with 0-2 losses.  The Bears, Giants, 49ers, Dolphins, and Patriots have all gone through seasons with two or fewer losses in the last generation.  NBA champion and NCAA champion basketball programs win 80-90% of their games (Bulls 72-10, 76ers 69-13, etc)...even 100% occasionally in the case of college basketball (UCLA, Indiana, etc).

Have you ever seen a college or major league baseball team go through a season undefeated?

Winning 65% of your games in college baseball will get you a record of 42-22 and maybe a host spot for an NCAA regional.  Winning around 65% of your games in football will get you a record of 7-4 and a berth in the Gaylord Hotels Banjo Bowl. 

Just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea to think about some of this stuff before posting it.

hogfan064

The best winning pct in SEC baseball history is 83%.  In 2000 South Carolina went 25-5.  This kind of record will never be seen again..  Noone has come close since.  That 2000 team had 2 infielders starting in MLB today(Adam Everett and Brian Roberts) and several other players that are on the verge of making big league rosters.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2006, 01:08:58 pm
Comparing baseball won-loss records to football and basketball records is asinine.

The best teams in major league baseball win around 60-65% of their games (60% would be a record of 97-65, which would have been the third-best record in the majors last year and would have won four of the six divisions.  65% would be 105-57, which would be one of the better records of the last 40 years).

Meanwhile, NFL and college football teams routinely go through seasons with 0-2 losses.  The Bears, Giants, 49ers, Dolphins, and Patriots have all gone through seasons with two or fewer losses in the last generation.  NBA champion and NCAA champion basketball programs win 80-90% of their games (Bulls 72-10, 76ers 69-13, etc)...even 100% occasionally in the case of college basketball (UCLA, Indiana, etc).

Have you ever seen a college or major league baseball team go through a season undefeated?

Winning 65% of your games in college baseball will get you a record of 42-22 and maybe a host spot for an NCAA regional.  Winning around 65% of your games in football will get you a record of 7-4 and a berth in the Gaylord Hotels Banjo Bowl. 

Just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea to think about some of this stuff before posting it.

Very well said.  karma.
Retired Radio Host

Donald Miller

Ooops, you mean the one SECCG in 2002 when Alabama won the West outright and we backed into the bowl game and got pounded by Georgia?  We shared the title in '98 and didn't go to the championship game.

jdhoover

I did not say that Arkansas fans are not intelligent or that anyone on this board knows nothing when it comes to sports.

What I was trying to point out is that an Arkansas team choked real bad yesterday.  Anyway you look at it, when you blow a 7-run lead in two innings, that is embarrasing.  Worse than blowing a 12-point lead in basketball or a 10-point lead in football.  I believe that had that been the basketball or football program, this board would have been ruthless on the coach.  Why did he leave that player in?  What did he put that player in?  What was he thinking?

I know Arkansas fans are smart, hell I'm one of them.  What I was pointing out was the bias that, to me, seems to exist with no reason.

mutdog

I have very little interest in baseball.  With that said I have observed that the baseball fans are very excited and enthusiastic over the Van Horn era.  Seems that games are having good turnouts and people are having fun.  Even though I am not a baseball fan, doesn't mean that I don't want Razorback baseball to do good.  Props to Van Horn and the baseball team.