Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A nondescript spring game

Started by Bacon_Bitz, April 23, 2016, 02:37:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

Will make for a special season in the fall. Just looked like a football team going about their business. OL will need to make strides but they're hungry.

Only worries I have is 2d TE and the absence of Brian Wallace.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Großer Kriegschwein

2nd Mackey Award in 5 years. Seeing DJ next to Hunter just makes DJ's award all the more interesting. He was a pretty short TE.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 23, 2016, 02:37:26 pm
Will make for a special season in the fall. Just looked like a football team going about their business. OL will need to make strides but they're hungry.

Only worries I have is 2d TE and the absence of Brian Wallace.

Positives:
1. Pass defense looks better than it has in some time against receivers who may be the best group in the SEC.
2. We will have a pass rush and a pretty solid run defense. These guys are pretty good, #1 and #2.
3. AA is going to be good but I bet we throw more INT's this coming season than we have in the past. AA tends to be more of a risk-taker than BA. But I believe that AA will hit more big plays if he gets his timing down. Missed some big plays today by virtue of later throws.
4. Hollister impressed with his speed at the edge and willingness to put his head down and get extra yards.
5. Reed is a speed burner, if we can get the ball to him (and others like Hollister) in a timely fashion. Both those guys can be game-changers for us. Not to dismiss Hatcher, Cornelius or Morgan who certainly play their roles as well.

Negatives:
1. The O-Line has a way to go. Just not dominating at this point but some of that has to do with how good the defense is and that will do nothing but prepare them for SEC defenses.
2. We better hope that 1) Walker comes back strong, 2) that RW III looks as good against competition as he does when he has on a green jersey and 3) that Whaley and Hammonds can adapt quickly and be immediate contributors. I'm sure Evans is a great kid and has a lot of work ethic, but I wasn't impressed with what he produced.
3. Not impressed with DuWop's performance. Made some good runs but went down too easily in traffic. Again, good kid, committed without a doubt, but not to the level that we need at RB. Get him in a situation in the open and I think he will be a valuable contributor in situational offensive calls.
Go Hogs Go!

hogninja

I did like AA's speed on passes.  No floaters or duck's.  Did show an arm on a throw or two.  That one PI would have been caught.  Pass into 3 cover needs to be corrected.  Overall, he just needs some reps under fire. Throws a better ball than BA, IMHO.  :razorback:  Of course, just a scrimmage and no hits on the green shirt.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 23, 2016, 03:06:38 pm
Positives:
1. Pass defense looks better than it has in some time against receivers who may be the best group in the SEC.
2. We will have a pass rush and a pretty solid run defense. These guys are pretty good, #1 and #2.
3. AA is going to be good but I bet we throw more INT's this coming season than we have in the past. AA tends to be more of a risk-taker than BA. But I believe that AA will hit more big plays if he gets his timing down. Missed some big plays today by virtue of later throws.
4. Hollister impressed with his speed at the edge and willingness to put his head down and get extra yards.
5. Reed is a speed burner, if we can get the ball to him (and others like Hollister) in a timely fashion. Both those guys can be game-changers for us. Not to dismiss Hatcher, Cornelius or Morgan who certainly play their roles as well.

Negatives:
1. The O-Line has a way to go. Just not dominating at this point but some of that has to do with how good the defense is and that will do nothing but prepare them for SEC defenses.
2. We better hope that 1) Walker comes back strong, 2) that RW III looks as good against competition as he does when he has on a green jersey and 3) that Whaley and Hammonds can adapt quickly and be immediate contributors. I'm sure Evans is a great kid and has a lot of work ethic, but I wasn't impressed with what he produced.
3. Not impressed with DuWop's performance. Made some good runs but went down too easily in traffic. Again, good kid, committed without a doubt, but not to the level that we need at RB. Get him in a situation in the open and I think he will be a valuable contributor in situational offensive calls.

Some VERY  myopic observations further clouded by such a small sample and the fact it was a scrimmage.  I'm not a coach, referee or scout.  For those that want to take me to task, these are my opinions based on very little.

THE NOT SO GOOD:
AA seemed dialed into Hatcher and Sprinkle to the detriment of Reed and Morgan (who are the two best receivers on the team, IMHO).  Of course, I couldn't keep up with who was on the field at the time, so this could be illusion on my part.
He also didn't have the split second decision-making to throw the ball exactly on time (small window) or maybe away.  Almost threw a pick, and had a few others that were late.

The OL failed to open good running lanes.
If this is the first string OL, it makes me wonder what level of drop-off there is to the backups.  What if we have injuries?

Peavey was an obvious step down from AA.  We better hope for no hiccups or injuries at QB.

The RB's didn't hit what creases there were to give a run support to the offense.

Duwop......Little or no creases, or a great athlete with NO natural football position?
I'm starting to think the latter.

The FG kicking is a concern.......Again.

THE BETTER POINTS:
AA did have a certain confidence to him that leads me to believe that he will grow, becoming better at seeing the field and anticipating.
When AA was in the moment, his passes were crisp and well delivered.

Froholdt mauled his block at times.  He could be a force going deeper into his career when he's developed technique and experience.

RW3 didn't get to show much due to his green jersey and few carries.
When he did get the ball, he ran to attack and with authority.  If he comes back to normal, and I think he will, the RB spot has a legitimate SEC upper echelon player in him not counting the return of KW and the arrival of Whaley.  This should put us in a good situation.

Hollister showed he can be yet another SEC level WR.  If we split our top WR corps in half, that would still give us three legit SEC starters which would be deeper than any corps I've seen us have outside of the BP days.

The defense looked pretty good.  The DL got consistent push to disrupt the QB.
The DL made creating running creases troublesome.
Tackling seemed good.

When a pass was completed, a good portion of the time the receiver was dropped immediately or quickly rather than the catch being the beginning of a YAC-fest.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 23, 2016, 02:53:29 pm
2nd Mackey Award in 5 years. Seeing DJ next to Hunter just makes DJ's award all the more interesting. He was a pretty short TE.
Sprinkle could very well win it again for us this year. He and Hollister looked dangerous today.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 23, 2016, 05:17:24 pm
Sprinkle could very well win it again for us this year. He and Hollister looked dangerous today.

TPTB won't let that happen. If it did, then we would definitely be coined TE U.
This is my non-signature signature.