Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Collins draft stock

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 21, 2016, 03:35:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Was looking on the RB rankings and saw AC3 was at #10. Wth? Ahead of him are some guys iv'e never heard of except for Kenneth Dixon, Derrick Henry, and Ezekiel Elliot.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

kibster

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 21, 2016, 03:35:07 pm
Was looking on the RB rankings and saw AC3 was at #10. Wth? Ahead of him are some guys iv'e never heard of except for Kenneth Dixon, Derrick Henry, and Ezekiel Elliot.

He didn't have a good combine.  Then he followed that up by not trying to improve the numbers at Senior Day.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

kibster

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 21, 2016, 04:05:53 pm
A good question is how much more money Kirkland could've/would've made by staying another year...

I think quite a bit.
That really would have been a mutually beneficial decision, had he stayed.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pig in the Pokey

AC could have improved his stock by staying. 75% or more of the board balked at the very idea of such a thing.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Cinco de Hogo

It's not whether they stay or not it's whether they are as good as you think they are.  They will be drafted exactly where the team that drafts them "thinks" they should be drafted.  Then and only then will they prove to be worth it or not.

Duh...right! And that's my point.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 21, 2016, 04:45:57 pm
It's not whether they stay or not it's whether they are as good as you think they are.  They will be drafted exactly where the team that drafts them "thinks" they should be drafted.  Then and only then will they prove to be worth it or not.

Duh...right! And that's my point.
it only takes one outta 31 per round and those guys aren't releasing their real notes anyway i guess.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 21, 2016, 04:05:53 pm
A good question is how much more money Kirkland could've/would've made by staying another year...

I think quite a bit.
Personally I thought Kirkland leaving a year early was likely a mistake. However, as we know, our opinions don't matter when it comes to what some of these kids think and/or told. I was kinda undecided when it came to AC.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

Heck they're (some talking heads) talking Derick Henry as a low first rounder.  Guess RB's are a dime a dozen these days. 

B501

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 21, 2016, 04:33:30 pm
AC could have improved his stock by staying

or he could have gone the way of the lattimore

LJHOG

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on April 21, 2016, 05:58:54 pm
Heck they're (some talking heads) talking Derick Henry as a low first rounder.  Guess RB's are a dime a dozen these days. 
Just not as important as other positions.

sickboy

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on April 21, 2016, 05:58:54 pm

Derrick Henry is landing at 2nd round in most of the mocks I've seen. I've seen him fall to 3rd in a few.

bennyl08

AC could have improved his stock by staying. 75% or more of the board balked at the very idea of such a thing.

How? Is he suddenly going to catch 50 passes in our offense? Improve his speed by a tenth a second in the forty?

At best he'd improve his pass pro, fumbling, and running lower, which if he improves to basically perfect in those other than speed which he isn't going to improve on, he at absolute best moves up one rank on draft teams rb rankings. Is 3 million dollars difference in your total rookie contract worth not making any money this year?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Peter Porker

Everyone knows if a kid, any kid, would just stay and play for the Razorbacks he'd go from maybe not being drafted to a surefire first rounder every time.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

I'm not bashing AC here but his top end speed wasn't all that great.  He did have toughness and I think he will play in the NFL.  He's more of a grinder. 
I do think if he returned he might have up'd his draft pick because he might have been the leading SEC rusher.  I don't know how that would translate to him being any better or worse in the NFL as a player though.

a0ashle

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 22, 2016, 04:24:58 am
How? Is he suddenly going to catch 50 passes in our offense? Improve his speed by a tenth a second in the forty?

At best he'd improve his pass pro, fumbling, and running lower, which if he improves to basically perfect in those other than speed which he isn't going to improve on, he at absolute best moves up one rank on draft teams rb rankings. Is 3 million dollars difference in your total rookie contract worth not making any money this year?

AC's decision is over, so I am not posting to rehash the "Should he" or "Shouldn't He" argument, that said, a factor in any players decision should be how much guaranteed money are they likely to get, and not for the obvious reasons. Guaranteed money is best in rounds 1 and 2 and isn't just money you are sure to get, it's money the team keeps on their books if they cut you, meaning you are given more chance to succeed and develop since they will still be paying you anyways if you are cut. Extending your career as long as possible is significantly more worthwhile then any one contract. Guaranteed money is a team committing to you as much as you are expected to commit to them.

Pigsknuckles

He won't be a home run hitter, but he will move the chains. Hate to see him go, but he best get out of BFU healthy, and make some coin while the opportunity is there. Wish he and JWill the best.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The Hogfather

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 22, 2016, 04:24:58 am

Yeah, I completely agree.  Nothing for him to gain by coming back.  Nothing at all.

KlubhouseKonnected

Or not. We will never know.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on April 22, 2016, 07:55:44 am
I'm not bashing AC here but his top end speed wasn't all that great.  He did have toughness and I think he will play in the NFL.  He's more of a grinder. 
I do think if he returned he might have up'd his draft pick because he might have been the leading SEC rusher.  I don't know how that would translate to him being any better or worse in the NFL as a player though.

Ask the LSU defense how "not all that great" his speed is. He isn't elite but he has good speed.

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SemperHawg

Even if he stayed and got better next year, is he going to jump over Chubb or Fournette?  The NFL draft, especially for RB's, is about finding your spot and going.  He only has so many carries in him.

RME

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 22, 2016, 09:39:50 am
Even if he stayed and got better next year, is he going to jump over Chubb or Fournette?  The NFL draft, especially for RB's, is about finding your spot and going.  He only has so many carries in him.

This is what advocates for Collins coming back next year don't realize.

SEC guys coming out include Chubb, Fournette, Sony Michel, Jalen Hurd

Non-SEC guys include Dalvin Cook (FSU), McCaffrey (who knows how well he'd translate to NFL though), Gallman (Clemson), Perine (OU).

Next year's RB class is quite a bit stronger than this year's class. I'm not saying Collins still wouldn't be the third back taken next year (behind Fournette and Chubb), but what if he fell to being the 9th back taken?

songofthesword

Jalen herd lol
McCaffrey, cook, lf7, Chubb those are 4 he has no shot going over what so ever

Hes 90% not going over gallmnan (Clemson) perine (ou) Conner (Pitt)

He made the right move

Kirkland on the other hand... Someone gave him extremely ** advice

atekido

Kiper I think it was on the radio has Alex as the #4 RB  with only Ezek, Henry,  and some other guy ahead of him.

yraciv

He wouldn't have. The RB position is absolutely loaded next year with Fournette, McCaffrey, Chubb, Cook, Royce Freeman, Perine. Guys  that Collins has absolutely no shot to be drafted over barring a miraculous SR year. 

I think there is a spot for Collins in the NFL, but he did the right thing.  Those guys are a different level in terms of combine numbers and potential.  And again RB is a devalued position in the NFL these days, so go when you have the best shot to maximize your value.

yraciv

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on April 22, 2016, 09:46:35 am
This is what advocates for Collins coming back next year don't realize.

SEC guys coming out include Chubb, Fournette, Sony Michel, Jalen Hurd

Non-SEC guys include Dalvin Cook (FSU), McCaffrey (who knows how well he'd translate to NFL though), Gallman (Clemson), Perine (OU).

Next year's RB class is quite a bit stronger than this year's class. I'm not saying Collins still wouldn't be the third back taken next year (behind Fournette and Chubb), but what if he fell to being the 9th back taken?

I don't see anyway McCaffery doesn't transition well to the NFL.  Guy is a freak and if he wasn't white I don't think people would be asking this question. His dad was an all pro WR and he isn't near the freak athlete as his son.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 22, 2016, 09:34:20 am
Ask the LSU defense how "not all that great" his speed is. He isn't elite but he has good speed.

Nice run, but don't show that clip to the scouts, though I'm sure they have already seen it. AC got overhauled by a DB that had to reverse his field, and begin his pursuit from the opposite hash. Another 5 yards, and he doesn't make it to the end zone.Collins is a quality back, but his lack of that extra gear has been obvious for quite some time, and has been mentioned more than once in scouting reports. Regardless, he will do well with the right team.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 22, 2016, 02:14:37 pm
Nice run, but don't show that clip to the scouts, though I'm sure they have already seen it. AC got overhauled by a DB that had to reverse his field, and begin his pursuit from the opposite hash. Another 5 yards, and he doesn't make it to the end zone.Collins is a quality back, but his lack of that extra gear has been obvious for quite some time, and has been mentioned more than once in scouting reports. Regardless, he will do well with the right team.

Having played DB I ran down many backs due to having a good angle which LSU did. I also said he doesn't have elite speed but good speed. Take the play 5 yards back, as you say. Then you are correct it probably isn't a TD, but what team would squawk at a 75 yard run to the 5?  ;)

Check out these stats. There are not as many big runs today as you might think.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingBigPlays
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

gawntrail

In my opinion....

A true TB type running the rock:

90% getting everything the Oline gets you;

5% making the first guy miss;

3% falling forward;

1% moving the pile; and

1% 25yd+ breakaways.

As an aside.... I'd like to see a rule change making 'wrap tackling' mandatory.  Too many RBs are injured by DBs diving at RBs knees and 'bowling ball' tackles from the side.

$0.02 worth

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gawntrail on April 23, 2016, 02:04:56 pm
In my opinion....

A true TB type running the rock:

90% getting everything the Oline gets you;

5% making the first guy miss;

3% falling forward;

1% moving the pile; and

1% 25yd+ breakaways.

As an aside.... I'd like to see a rule change making 'wrap tackling' mandatory.  Too many RBs are injured by DBs diving at RBs knees and 'bowling ball' tackles from the side.

$0.02 worth

Players predicted this when rules against high hits.

root_hawg

Think he will be 5th off board