factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkSoda

and that is why we play with a big cushion on D
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Oklahawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 12, 2016, 08:04:25 pm
and that is why we play with a big cushion on D

Sometimes you just tip your hat to the WR.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

razorbackkid

Heck of a one handed catch also...wonder if he got in trouble with the coaches for that.

Looking great at receiver.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 12, 2016, 08:17:42 pm
Sometimes you just tip your hat to the WR.
no doubt, it was a slick move.

just pointing out the danger of playing too close to the line of scrimmage.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

presidenthog

speaking of pulley. did anyone else see him melting on twitter last night? re-tweeting and tweeting a ton of stuff about should have thought more on his decision. how he ain't like the other people around here, he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. he is here to make M (illions). he and his mama gotta eat.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 12, 2016, 08:25:23 pm

It does no good to play close to the LOS if you don't physically jam the receiver, which wasn't done. That's textbook about how you get beat if you aren't playing physical when playing up close. That said, I have no idea what they were doing there. we would need to know if this were a drill for the receivers or for the DB's and if for both, the DB failed.
Go Hogs Go!

presidenthog

who threw that pass? for him being wide open it was high and behind.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: presidenthog on April 12, 2016, 08:28:58 pm
speaking of pulley. did anyone else see him melting on twitter last night? re-tweeting and tweeting a ton of stuff about should have thought more on his decision. how he ain't like the other people around here, he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. he is here to make M (illions). he and his mama gotta eat.

I went back and read it, he wasn't talking to anybody in general with that stuff.  He's just saying he ms really motivated to be the best and make money.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 12, 2016, 08:25:23 pm

you have to jam him at the line before he begins shaking

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

sickboy

FreshHog

Without context of the drill we'll never know, either way that boy can shake and bake.

ChitownHawg

When JC clearly made his move down field DB didn't swivel his hips and tried to cover the last move peddling backwards.

I'm not so sure that shake n bake would fool the better DBs in the West.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

afhogfan1980

It's the Toledo game all over again with pulley
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: presidenthog on April 12, 2016, 08:34:59 pm
who threw that pass? for him being wide open it was high and behind.
Looked like Town.  Wasn't a terrible pass, the optional one handed grab made it look worse than it was.  The wide open pass is often the most difficult to make look perfect.  If the D-back is still running with the WR, that pass is perfect.

jchill

Thumbs up for the coach that recruited and got him to sign with us.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jchill on April 13, 2016, 09:45:04 am
Thumbs up for the coach that recruited and got him to sign with us.

Was that coach Smith?

Hogarusa

You guys are really dissecting this video.  Cant it just be a nice move at the LOS and a smooth 1 handed grab during a practice drill?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

factchecker

Quote from: afhogfan1980 on April 13, 2016, 07:20:37 am
It's the Toledo game all over again with pulley

Pulley didn't play in the Toledo game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rwspear

sickboy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 13, 2016, 05:40:41 am
When JC clearly made his move down field DB didn't swivel his hips and tried to cover the last move peddling backwards.

I'm not so sure that shake n bake would fool the better DBs in the West.

Except he's been getting separation in games as well.

afhogfan1980

He did too go back and watch game he got beat on 3rd down multiple times on slants
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

B501

factchecker

Quote from: afhogfan1980 on April 13, 2016, 02:49:35 pm
He did too go back and watch game he got beat on 3rd down multiple times on slants

Pulley???

No he didn't -

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2015/season.pdf

Go to page 17 and look at the tackle chart.   Find Ryan Pulley.  Cross reference his stats for the Toledo game.

His stats are???  DNP

DNP = DID NOT PLAY
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: sickboy on April 13, 2016, 01:47:55 pm
Except he's been getting separation in games as well.

I was speaking more toward that particular move as some were saying it was very good. I like JC and he is good. I just wasn't that impressed with this particular move is all.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

factchecker

Also if you use  b501's link -

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2015/02.pdf

go to the participation report:

Participation Report (Final)
2015 Arkansas Razorbacks Football
Toledo vs #18 Arkansas (Sep 12, 2015 at Little Rock, Ark.)

Arkansas  (Starters)

Pos ## OFFENSE
RT 70 Dan Skipper
RG 72 Frank Ragnow
C 65 Mitch Smothers
LG 73 Sebastian Tretola
LT 5A Denver Kirkland
TE 84 Hunter Henry
QB 10 Brandon Allen
WR 4 Keon Hatcher
RB 3 Alex Collins
WR 81 Cody Hollister
TE 83 Jeremy Sprinkle

Pos ## DEFENSE
DL 6 JaMichael Winston
LB 51 Brooks Ellis
DL 94 Taiwan Johnson
CB 5 Henre' Toliver
S 26 Rohan Gaines
CB 29 Jared Collins
CB 2 DJ Dean
DL 93 DeMarcus Hodge
DL 55 Jeremiah Ledbetter
LB 21 Josh Williams
S 28 Josh Liddell

Played in the game:

Arkansas: 1-Jared Cornelius, 7-Damon Mitchell, 7A-Willie Sykes, 9-Santos Ramirez, 9A-Cole Hedlund,
13-Davyon McKinney, 14-Eric Hawkins, 17-Jojo Robinson, 19-Anthony Antwine, 20-De'Andre Coley,
22-Rawleigh Williams, 23-Dre Greenlaw, 24-Kody Walker, 27-Khalia Hackett, 30-Kevin Richardson, 32-Drew Gorton,
35-Dwayne Eugene, 36-Jack Kraus, 37-Toby Baker, 38-Reid Miller, 42-Lane Saling, 48-Deatrich Wise,
50-Josh Allen, 56-Matt Emrich, 60-Brian Wallace, 69-Cordale Boyd, 78-Bijhon Jackson, 80-Drew Morgan,
82-Luke Rossi, 86-Armon Watts, 88-Alex Voelzke, 89-Mitchell Loewen, 91-Hjalte Froholdt, 96-Karl Roesler,
97-Tevin Beanum.

No Ryan Pulley on the participation chart.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Also if you go back to my first link- http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2015/season.pdf

and go to page 16 you can view the start/played/DNP chart-

START = the player started this game

XXX =  the player played in this game

...  =  the player did not play in this game

Ryan Pulley only started against Tennessee Martin.  He played against UTEP, Texas Tech, AnM, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Missouri.

He didn't play against Toledo, Tennessee, and LSU

Although it is cut off- he also played against K-State in the Liberty Bowl:

https://twitter.com/ironmike132/status/683434990638624773
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sickboy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 13, 2016, 03:44:33 pm
I was speaking more toward that particular move as some were saying it was very good. I like JC and he is good. I just wasn't that impressed with this particular move is all.

Oh, I got ya. I'm impressed with JC's athleticism. I think JC's burst is more impressive than him making Pulley tripping over his own feet. The one handed catch is just as impressive.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: sickboy on April 13, 2016, 05:27:10 pm
Oh, I got ya. I'm impressed with JC's athleticism. I think JC's burst is more impressive than him making Pulley tripping over his own feet. The one handed catch is just as impressive.

He is a good one and he is a hog.  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on April 13, 2016, 06:21:23 pm
Jared Cornelius:

When he made the TD I was wondering if he was thinking to himself "and you guys thought I wasn't good enough for your team? Have second thoughts now?"  ;D

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

longpig

Got a feeling JC's gonna light it up this season :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Don't be scared, be smart.

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on April 13, 2016, 08:25:50 pm
Got a feeling JC's gonna light it up this season :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I've got a feeling none of our receivers are going to light it up, but in a good way.

We have Hatcher who was our best WR going into the season before being injured. He brings in precise route running, underrated speed and agility, and is by far our best outside blocker (unless you count Antwine who I believe has switched back to WR). We have Cornelius who is our shifty/speedy receiver and reminds me of a bigger though slightly less shifty Joe Adams. We have Morgan who should be nicknamed 7/11 because he is always open and really impressed me with his speed last year. Came on as a favorite for Brandon last year. We have Reed who if he can gain some muscle without losing speed is otherwise in the same mold as Julio Jones and AJ Green. Want to see what type of difference having a superior athlete who runs a reported sub 4.4 forty? Watch his TD catch and runs vs Bama and Tenner. 4.5 receivers would have been tackled. On top of that, Pettway and Stewart are both great prospects who earned a lot of praise from the coaching staff coming off of redshirts and Jordan Jones who has been a target for a long time and as a sophomore in HS, he was beating the senior corners at the arkansas camps. With so many talented guys, I'm not sure anybody lights it up as far as accumulating statistics but that we have a wealth of talent to throw to, and I haven't even mentioned the 4 guys we have at TE.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

AA (or whoever wins the job) will have plenty of targets to throw to this fall.

rkjones

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 13, 2016, 11:16:08 pm
I've got a feeling none of our receivers are going to light it up, but in a good way.

We have Hatcher who was our best WR going into the season before being injured. He brings in precise route running, underrated speed and agility, and is by far our best outside blocker (unless you count Antwine who I believe has switched back to WR). We have Cornelius who is our shifty/speedy receiver and reminds me of a bigger though slightly less shifty Joe Adams. We have Morgan who should be nicknamed 7/11 because he is always open and really impressed me with his speed last year. Came on as a favorite for Brandon last year. We have Reed who if he can gain some muscle without losing speed is otherwise in the same mold as Julio Jones and AJ Green. Want to see what type of difference having a superior athlete who runs a reported sub 4.4 forty? Watch his TD catch and runs vs Bama and Tenner. 4.5 receivers would have been tackled. On top of that, Pettway and Stewart are both great prospects who earned a lot of praise from the coaching staff coming off of redshirts and Jordan Jones who has been a target for a long time and as a sophomore in HS, he was beating the senior corners at the arkansas camps. With so many talented guys, I'm not sure anybody lights it up as far as accumulating statistics but that we have a wealth of talent to throw to, and I haven't even mentioned the 4 guys we have at TE.

and Cody Hollister

alohawg

Good post. Such an abundance of talent to throw to for sure.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

bennyl08

Quote from: rkjones on April 14, 2016, 12:56:34 am
and Cody Hollister

Fun fact, Cody has only caught a pass in 3 games we  have ever won, Nicholls, NIU, and UAB all last season.

Reminds me for some reason of the fun fact with Childs. 4/5 games he had 100+ receiving yards, we lost. The one game we won was vs ULM. For some reason, the better he did, the worse we did.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

April 14, 2016, 05:36:07 am #40 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:04:36 am by FANONTHEHILL
If you think Jared's catch was impressive, you should see him catch punts the same way during warm ups.  When he goes through drills and team periods, he makes the catches the right way.  The drill they were doing was about initial move and separation, then fighting for the catch.  The ball just gets lobbed up.  Pulley got his feet crossed up and tripped, it happens.  Jared made a good move, it happens.  They're both talented players, but in my opinion, I don't like this being thrown out on social media.  Let the coaches view the film and correct Pulley's technique.  I credit Jared for a great move, but I don't like the grief this has caused a Pulley.  Let's make that move on an SEC opponent and then put it online. Just my opinion.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 14, 2016, 05:36:07 am
If you think Jared's catch was impressive, you should see him catch punts the same way during warm ups.  When he goes through drills and team periods, he makes the catches the right way.  The drill they were doing was about initial move and separation, then fighting for the catch.  The ball just gets lobbed up.  Pulley got his feet crossed up and tripped, it happens.  Jared made a good move, it happens.  They're both talented players, but in my opinion, I don't like this being thrown out on social media.  Let the coaches view the film and correct Pulley's technique.  I credit Jared for a great move, but I don't like the grief this has caused a Pulley.  Let's make that move on an SEC opponent and then put it online. Just my opinion.

I agree about the social media as it is being picked up by the national media now. Will they post a great interception by Pulley to counter this?

razorsharptusk

That was great!  Glad he is a Hog.
GO HOGS!!

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2016, 08:31:37 pm
It does no good to play close to the LOS if you don't physically jam the receiver, which wasn't done. That's textbook about how you get beat if you aren't playing physical when playing up close. That said, I have no idea what they were doing there. we would need to know if this were a drill for the receivers or for the DB's and if for both, the DB failed.

^^^This.  DB made this look like a great offensive move. 

TDHawgs

We have such great depth at WR and TE that its scary good!!  Jared Cornelius will have a great year for us, totally beast mode on that play!

RME

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 14, 2016, 08:43:05 am
I agree about the social media as it is being picked up by the national media now. Will they post a great interception by Pulley to counter this?

Nope

longpig

The programs who stay loaded at WR as we are this year don't spread the touches evenly when there are a few that stand out and neither will we.  One or three of them will likely separate from the pack and get the majority of touches.  My money is on JC and Reed to do that, reestablishing themselves on top of the depth chart may be tough for Morgan and Hatcher.   
Don't be scared, be smart.

lasthog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 13, 2016, 06:31:57 pm
When he made the TD I was wondering if he was thinking to himself "and you guys thought I wasn't good enough for your team? Have second thoughts now?"  ;D

You've got to be right about that.

Another very cool thing going on during that run was the fact that Reed had run his DB 50 yards downfield, near the ten before he engaged him as a blocker.  I believe I recall that Reed had announced in the huddle that that was what he was going to do, run the guy downfield as far as he could.

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on April 18, 2016, 11:41:11 am

The programs who stay loaded at WR as we are this year don't spread the touches evenly when there are a few that stand out and neither will we.  One or three of them will likely separate from the pack and get the majority of touches.  My money is on JC and Reed to do that, reestablishing themselves on top of the depth chart may be tough for Morgan and Hatcher.   

RB, I'd agree with you. WR, though is a different animal. To a certain degree, yes. If you have a stud, you feed the stud. However, at WR, it benefits you to not throw to the same receiver too often. Look at this past season. The ball was spread around quite well b/w Henry, Morgan, Reed, Cornelius, and Sprinkle. All of them over 300 yards.

Go back to the passing days of Petrino. Ball was spread quite evenly between the likes of Childs, Adams, Wright, and DJ Williams and Hamilton and Wade (pre kicked off) even among the crowded corps in front of them were able to make their presences felt.

Sure, it's not going to be exactly even, but relatively close. Looking at 2015, 5 players previously mentioned had catches ranging from 27 with Sprinkle to 63 with Morgan. You have to go down to the 6th player to find somebody with a third of Morgan's catches. That is spreading the ball around. Looking at yards, again, you have to go down to the 6th option at receiver to find somebody with less than half of his yards. TD's were evenly distributed more or less as well. With 5 receiving options like that for a defense to cover, it makes a defense think twice about double coverage. At least are going to be out on the field at any given time, and you have to worry about the run game as well. Factor in the depth, and by the time you think you've figured out Morgan, in comes Cornelius.

Similarly, if you look at the next level, the NFL, teams who have only one viable target don't have the most efficient passing games. You need at least two, and typically 3 weapons to have an effective passing game in the NFL.

Of course, you do run into diminishing returns. Only so many players can play and catch the ball. More importantly, qb only has time to develop high level chemistry with a handful of players. So, at the end of the day, the qb needs to have a couple of safety blanket guys. When the pressure is on, he can trust these players. However, he needs a couple of other players to be stud playmakers so that defenses can't take away his safety blanket. For example, last year, Morgan and Henry were the safety blankets. Cornelius, Reed, and Sprinkle were the playmakers. We had the added benefit that Henry and Morgan can make plays in their own rights, though neither are the athletic specimens of their counter parts. They were simply more reliable to be open and catch it on third downs and such.

It creates a huge difference in playing time though compared to RB's where spreading the ball around is a bad idea. At WR, the top receiver in our best seasons isn't that far ahead of the second. You see distributions such as maybe 60, 50, 40, 35, 25. There is a hierarchy, but still well distributed. Switch to RB, the best seasons you may see something like 300, 100, 50 if we have one primary carrier or perhaps 200, 200, 30, 20. Yes, you want to keep the primary carrier/s from shouldering all the load obviously. However, we are talking about the third back in either scenario being an order of magnitude less than the top 2. There is extremely little distribution of touches to go around there. Part of that goes towards needing to get a feel for the game. A receiver is getting a feel for how the defense is playing and what certain guys do each and every snap almost. If the ball gets thrown to a different guy, you still have to run your route. Even in run plays, you get a sense for how much your cornerback is giving you the benefit of the doubt. A RB, you only get to see your OL run block on run plays. You only get practice seeing the holes basically on run plays (to a very small degree perhaps on a play action, but doubtful.

DeltaBoy

I hope he has a breakout season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.