Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacements for Vitello

Started by RazorPiggie, June 07, 2017, 10:48:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

I would like to see us shift our focus at the plate to a team that just scraps and battles on every pitch. I know the home runs were fun this year but, I would rather lead the league in batting avg. than home runs.
Just seemed like we got HR happy and all started swinging for the fence every AB, and in almost every count. Power hitters are going to hit their share of home runs and that's great, but I would like to have the other 5 or 6 spots in the order, just get up there and be a big pain in the rear for the pitchers.

Some of the MoState batters ran our pitch count up by double digits, with foul balls alone, I think that played a part in how hard Blaine had to work and how mentally frustrated he got.

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Knot2brite

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 08, 2017, 05:37:46 pm
I would like to see us shift our focus at the plate to a team that just scraps and battles on every pitch. I know the home runs were fun this year but, I would rather lead the league in batting avg. than home runs.
Just seemed like we got HR happy and all started swinging for the fence every AB, and in almost every count. Power hitters are going to hit their share of home runs and that's great, but I would like to have the other 5 or 6 spots in the order, just get up there and be a big pain in the rear for the pitchers.

Some of the MoState batters ran our pitch count up by double digits, with foul balls alone, I think that played a part in how hard Blaine had to work and how mentally frustrated he got.

I am going out on a limb with this but I figure your are in the minority...the game is now about power ....not every at bat but the days of Punch and Judy working the counts has almost passed by. The kids are so much stronger and the emphasis is getting lift to the ball..the pitchers are blowing gas and this leads to more long balls. Mo state doesn't do anything different ...they swing for power as well.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Kevin on June 08, 2017, 07:21:36 pm
More guys like jax biggers

Yes exactly, first year in the SEC and leads the team in avg. by .33 points.

Yes I figure I am in the minority , knot2brite,

BroyledNutts

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 08, 2017, 05:37:46 pm

I'd like to see more consistency throughout the entire order when it comes to hitting base hits or extra base hits, but the ability to slap one out of Baum at any plate appearance is something I've cried for many, many years in a row - I'm not willing to abandon that idea for more singles just yet. Working counts and being a PItA to opposing pitchers can be accomplished by those same guys that can put it in the parking lot.

If I had a single nit pick it would be improving the ability to hit oppo, hit off speed, and hit "crafty" lefties, but that's always going to be a wish when dealing with young amateurs.

tophawg19

please just hit the breaking balls and no more chasing trash. hopefully the new coach brings something new to get them over the hump
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kevin

also. be able to bunt more effectively
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

arthurhawgerelli

https://twitter.com/RazNation/status/873209038418456576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwoopig.net%2Fboard%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C87812.900.html

Hog in Iowa

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on June 09, 2017, 11:37:21 am
https://twitter.com/RazNation/status/873209038418456576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwoopig.net%2Fboard%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C87812.900.html

This is good news.  I figured Josh would follow Tony and am real happy he's staying for another year.  I'd like to see us work on being able to lay down the sac bunt.  That inability hurt us several times late in the year when we were unable to move runners.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

ucahogfan

Could see it being one of the TAMU assistants.  Both are top 30 recruiters from that D-1 poll with Justin Seely being the better of the two.  Will Bolt is probably the most like Vitello with experience coaching in the Midwest (Nebraska) and in Texas (TAMU).  Might be tough to get him away from TAMU, but you never know.  I think this is one of the top 5 assistant jobs in the country.

Kendall Rogers would also have solid sources.  He called Vitello early on when he wasn't on our radar.  Could see it being Holbrook as well as he is an elite recruiter.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2017, 09:54:15 pm
Could see it being one of the TAMU assistants.  Both are top 30 recruiters from that D-1 poll with Justin Seely being the better of the two.  Will Bolt is probably the most like Vitello with experience coaching in the Midwest (Nebraska) and in Texas (TAMU).  Might be tough to get him away from TAMU, but you never know.  I think this is one of the top 5 assistant jobs in the country.

Kendall Rogers would also have solid sources.  He called Vitello early on when he wasn't on our radar.  Could see it being Holbrook as well as he is an elite recruiter.

UCA, you think adding Holbrook might allow us to tap into that elite level East Coast talent pool USCe, UNC, FlaSt, Clemson, etc utilize?

ucahogfan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 09, 2017, 09:59:44 pm

UCA, you think adding Holbrook might allow us to tap into that elite level East Coast talent pool USCe, UNC, FlaSt, Clemson, etc utilize?
The amount of teams recruiting out there would make it tough, but I think Holbrook has some experience in this part of the country.  We have gotten a couple of signees from that area in Buttrey in 2012 (signed with the Red Sox) and Cronin last year.  It is an area of the country where we get someone every couple of years and focus mainly on this area of the country.  Getting someone with Los Angeles area ties might be good as So Cal turns out a ton of good talent and we are one of the closest SEC schools to them.  I just don't know if he has the ties that DVH would want, but he is known as one of the top recruiters in the game.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2017, 10:08:55 pm
The amount of teams recruiting out there would make it tough, but I think Holbrook has some experience in this part of the country.  We have gotten a couple of signees from that area in Buttrey in 2012 (signed with the Red Sox) and Cronin last year.  It is an area of the country where we get someone every couple of years and focus mainly on this area of the country.  Getting someone with Los Angeles area ties might be good as So Cal turns out a ton of good talent and we are one of the closest SEC schools to them.  I just don't know if he has the ties that DVH would want, but he is known as one of the top recruiters in the game.

It will be someone who can recruit Texas and the mid-west.

DeltaHog66

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2017, 10:18:41 pm
It will be someone who can recruit Texas and the mid-west.
Yeah, which is why I brought up Bolt and Seely at TAMU earlier.  They have those connections that DVH would want and are the type of recruiters who can go all over the country and land players like Bonfield, Cronin, and Fletcher.

SPAL

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on June 09, 2017, 11:51:47 am
This is good news.  I figured Josh would follow Tony and am real happy he's staying for another year.  I'd like to see us work on being able to lay down the sac bunt.  That inability hurt us several times late in the year when we were unable to move runners.

I was wrong on this. I had heard he was following TV. I'm glad he is staying.

Seebs

With all of the talent at Missouri State - well, just saying.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

pccmizuno24

tophawg19

couldn't go wrong with him at all.  Sounds like he could even be an improvement
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bulldog04

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on June 11, 2017, 08:13:08 pm
http://www.ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?rc=843&path=baseball

Heard Talbots name mentioned today by some ex players
It make sense being a former player and served under DVH. Has the qualifications we want

SPAL

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Kevin

PorkRyan

Quote from: Kevin on June 11, 2017, 09:22:54 pm
Wonder why gen left a&m

He left to coach a high school close to his home to be with his family.  That is all I can find on the subject.  He would be a great hire. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on June 11, 2017, 08:13:08 pm
http://www.ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?rc=843&path=baseball

Heard Talbots name mentioned today by some ex players

I like what I read about him, and it could be a great opportunity to get a possible, HCIW. I don't think it's too early to consider it. Sounds like he has a good technical understanding of swing fundamentals.

From a couple of years ago.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2015/06/04/talbot-cajuns-super-regional/28513523/

"Coach Talbot knows his stuff about hitting. He really, really does," said UL designated hitter Tyler Girouard, who's batting .335 with a team-high doubles and 30 RBI. "He knows how to translate it, and give it to you in a way that it's special. He knows. He can see it. He has a feel for it, and it's impressive."

When Deggs left UL to become Sam Houston State's head coach, Robichaux hired Talbot, who knew the system – centered around hitters not trying to be something they're not, and grouped by Deggs under labels like Hitters, Runners, Bombers and Ballplayers – inside-out.

dotnet

The idea of someone who followed Deggs makes me nervous.  Not sure how good they are vs riding off Deggs for a year or two. 

I'm sure DVH will have a good feel for him from Childress

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2017, 11:16:43 am
The idea of someone who followed Deggs makes me nervous.  Not sure how good they are vs riding off Deggs for a year or two. 

I'm sure DVH will have a good feel for him from Childress
True, and his team hit .266 this year.

DVH made it sound like we would be hiring an active HC or a current assistant who was still in the NCAAT. He could have just been speculating, though. It definitely looks like Talbot can recruit, though.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 12, 2017, 11:32:06 am
He could have just been speculating, though.

I took it that way. I'm not sure how zero'd in he is on the person he wants. 

I think Holbrook has to make you think, no matter what.  If he is willing to do it and still go through the recruiting grind, I don't know how much you care about territory experience.  If you can recruit as good as he can, you can recruit anywhere. 

I'm not sure if Will Bolt makes the move from A&M to Arkansas.  Its known he has 100% control of the offense down there.  What he did with the offense last year was amazing, though this year left something to be desired.  I think that has more to do with who they had on campus though. 

Its a weird time because withe all the recent SEC turnover, some quality programs have already gotten the best people they could in the last few years - including Arkansas.  DVH may be able to go get someone else's guy, ala Wes Johnson, but I'm not sure if this hire will be quite the slam dunk as Vitello

I really liked what Vitello did with the roster and the type of guys he recruited.  I would have really liked to get one more year recruiting class with vitello

Dr. Starcs

Serrano backing out at Bama.

Possibility here?

PorkRyan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 12, 2017, 03:22:05 pm
Serrano backing out at Bama.

Possibility here?

Great recruiter but he is a pitching guy.

dotnet

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 12, 2017, 03:31:59 pm
Great recruiter but he is a pitching guy.

And Serrano can go and get a legit head coaching job tomorrow I would think.  especially on the left coast. Maybe take the Long Beach job if their guy goes to stanford or something - not that I think that will specifically happen