Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacements for Vitello

Started by RazorPiggie, June 07, 2017, 10:48:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

I'll get this thread started.

I like Elander after reading his Bio on the Razorbacks site (http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/josh-elander/#sm.000y780mr17hsdi0zow1pdse2de68)

But he lacks recruiting and coaching experience we need. He definitely has the pedigree to become a solid assistant coach though.

What do some you of smarter guys think out there that follow College Baseball much much closer than I?

ricepig

I suspect it will a proven recruiter.

jry04

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 07, 2017, 10:48:54 am
I'll get this thread started.

I like Elander after reading his Bio on the Razorbacks site (http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/josh-elander/#sm.000y780mr17hsdi0zow1pdse2de68)

But he lacks recruiting and coaching experience we need. He definitely has the pedigree to become a solid assistant coach though.

What do some you of smarter guys think out there that follow College Baseball much much closer than I?
Elander is my vote. This program sells itself. We have one of the best head coaches in the country, you are almost guaranteed to make the NCAAT, and if you stay for 3 years have as good of a shot as any to make Omaha. The draft picks speak for themselves. Butler was a great recruiter, Vitello a great recruiter, Jorn a great recruiter, etc. The next guy will be one just because he is wearing the Arkansas logo when he walks into that home and shows them our history. However, the noticeable change in hitting this year is being credited largely to Elander. If you noticed in many post game interviews the players would mention what Coach Elander told them.

Read this article explaining how he is responsible for our power and tell me you wouldn't want him to be a part of this staff:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/26/state-hogs-meet-man-behind-arkansas-power-surge/

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2017, 10:50:06 am
I suspect it will a proven recruiter.

You'd think so.

Hopefully it will be a Vitello type hire?

rolyat_2008

Serrano and Holbrook are both available.

Both have been named assistant coach of the year in their careers.

We might want someone younger though.

jry04

I would be cool with hiring Chad Holbrook, too.

TNhawgfan

Serrano will want to be head coach somewhere, even if it is a step down from UT
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

outlawhogeywells

Good pick would be Dan Fitzgerald from Dallas Baptist

Porked Tongue

jry04

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 07, 2017, 11:25:14 am
Brian Walker.
Nothing against him personally, but that would be very underwhelming. WSU isn't exactly tearing it up, and I think there are much better options out there. If we don't want to go with a relatively unproven guy like Elander, even though we know the work he did with the team this year, then we should swing for the fences. If we got Wes Johnson and Vitello from major programs then we can probably get someone else from a major program with a proven resume.

jb11

Didn't Elander play under Vitello at TCU?  If so, he might follow him there.

Maddhog

Quote from: jb11 on June 07, 2017, 11:35:02 am
Didn't Elander play under Vitello at TCU?  If so, he might follow him there.

Yes, he will have a job at TN if not here.   
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Maddhog on June 07, 2017, 11:37:37 am
Yes, he will have a job at TN if not here.
Losing both would be a gut punch
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

yraciv

Quote from: jry04 on June 07, 2017, 10:52:45 am
Elander is my vote. This program sells itself. We have one of the best head coaches in the country, you are almost guaranteed to make the NCAAT, and if you stay for 3 years have as good of a shot as any to make Omaha. The draft picks speak for themselves. Butler was a great recruiter, Vitello a great recruiter, Jorn a great recruiter, etc. The next guy will be one just because he is wearing the Arkansas logo when he walks into that home and shows them our history. However, the noticeable change in hitting this year is being credited largely to Elander. If you noticed in many post game interviews the players would mention what Coach Elander told them.

Read this article explaining how he is responsible for our power and tell me you wouldn't want him to be a part of this staff:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/26/state-hogs-meet-man-behind-arkansas-power-surge/

Jorn was many things to this program, but I never think great recruiter.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: yraciv on June 07, 2017, 12:04:18 pm
Jorn was many things to this program, but I never think great recruiter.

There is much evidence to prove you wrong, but by all means think what you want.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkRyan

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on June 07, 2017, 11:18:00 am
Good pick would be Dan Fitzgerald from Dallas Baptist

That was the first guy I thought of.  Most of the top recruiters are pitching guys.  Elander is unproven but I really like him. 

RazorPiggie

azhog10

Elander! Hitting was improved from a power standpoint. Frustrated in how some of our guys slumped it up in the regional especially your 2,4, and 5 hitters. But that's baseball at times. He's done an amazing job and I believe had more to do with our improved hitting. Vitello was a recruiter and hopefully Elander learned a thing or two from him. I would imagine he's a hitting coach here or there next season.

Kevin

I like how the third base coach, coached his hitters for Missouri state.

http://www.missouristatebears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=365&path=baseball
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rolyat_2008

Can anyone read Kendall's update on d1baseball?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Kevin on June 07, 2017, 02:24:31 pm
I like how the third base coach, coached his hitters for Missouri state.

http://www.missouristatebears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=365&path=baseball

I'd do it just to piss off MSU.

RazorPiggie

Pig Papi

Looks like Bryson Kemp (2019 commit) has flipped to MO State.

jry04

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 07, 2017, 03:12:26 pm
Looks like Bryson Kemp (2019 commit) has flipped to MO State.
Is that a joke, and why is it in this thread? I have no idea how good that kid is, but picking Missouri State over Arkansas is hilarious regardless of the outcome this last weekend.

Pig Papi

Quote from: jry04 on June 07, 2017, 03:25:11 pm
Is that a joke, and why is it in this thread? I have no idea how good that kid is, but picking Missouri State over Arkansas is hilarious regardless of the outcome this last weekend.

Its on his Twitter.  Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.  My guess is he was likely not going to stick anyway.

jry04

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 07, 2017, 03:32:03 pm
Its on his Twitter.  Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.  My guess is he was likely not going to stick anyway.
What is his twitter handle?

Mr.Swine89

futurehogdad

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 07, 2017, 12:07:24 pm
There is much evidence to prove you wrong, but by all means think what you want.

Jorn was NOT a good recruiter , but was had a SUPERIOR eye for talent and knew how to get the best out of the kids.  He got out of the way and let DVH, Butler and TV work their magic.

SPAL

I'm hearing Mike Anderson and Matt deggs being mentioned in my circles. Elander likely headed to UT.

Scott7703

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 07, 2017, 08:02:16 pm
I'm hearing Mike Anderson and Matt deggs being mentioned in my circles. Elander likely headed to UT.

Sign me up for Anderson.

ricepig

Mike Anderson?? It will be someone with Texas recruiting connections IMO.

futurehogdad

Degg's should use his success at SHSU to get him a better head coaching gig.

hogfan14

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 07, 2017, 08:07:21 pm

Sign me up for Anderson.

That could get very confusing lol.

Would Deggs really leave a HC job to come here?

SPAL

Let me clarify....those names aren't necessarily names that are interviewing or would leave current gigs.....just names being mentioned from the program.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: futurehogdad on June 07, 2017, 07:22:01 pm
Jorn was NOT a good recruiter , but was had a SUPERIOR eye for talent and knew how to get the best out of the kids.  He got out of the way and let DVH, Butler and TV work their magic.

I guess I associate identifying the talent with recruiting, and if your idea of got out of the way is, leaving Omaha and the CWS for the recruiting/scouting trail, instead of coming home for a break,then that's yeah you're right.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 07, 2017, 08:25:45 pm
That could get very confusing lol.

Would Deggs really leave a HC job to come here?
No
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

RazorPiggie

Hogs49ers

I feel like the only way we keep Elander is if we promote him to this position, otherwise he is gone.  I feel like he has earned it.
SCREW Vandy!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 07, 2017, 11:05:28 pm
I feel like the only way we keep Elander is if we promote him to this position, otherwise he is gone.  I feel like he has earned it.

I agree, he is not making much money currently because he's not even paid by the U of a for baseball, I don't believe.   

He will soon find a lower level college to give him a shot at a paid coaching gig so get his feet wet.  No matter how good he was, I don't see him getting his first job at a top baseball school right now. 

BroyledNutts

Help me out - where do I know Mike Anderson's name from ...

ucahogfan

It is going to be one of the elite recruiters in the country with experience recruting this part of it. Just look at the track record DVH has laid out for his recruiting coordinator. It is probably one of the top 5 assistant jobs in the country.  It will more than likely be a guy at a P5 school.

Before Vitello, DVH targeted only Butler who was at Alabama at the time and one of the top recruiters in the country. With Vitello, he targeted only him and Cliff Godwin who was at Ole Miss and was one of the top 2-3 assistants in the country. DVH basically gets who he wants for this position.  Kendall Rogers also has excellent info as he called Vitello early in the process when none of us had him.

ricepig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 08, 2017, 02:26:14 am

Nebraska, and now an OU assistant.

SPAL

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 08, 2017, 02:26:14 am

Assistant under DVH and took over for him when he came here. Had good success for a while and then tanked. Now he is an asst at Oklahoma

jry04

I know you clarified that these are just names being mentioned, not necessarily happening, but Deggs seems silly. The guy is in a supers as a head coach. Not sure why he would come here as an assistant.

Sad to hear Elander is likely going to UT, but makes sense.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2017, 07:23:06 am
Nebraska, and now an OU assistant.

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2017, 08:06:12 am
Assistant under DVH and took over for him when he came here. Had good success for a while and then tanked. Now he is an asst at Oklahoma

Thanks guys - I was drawing a blank. I don't think I've recovered yet from this past weekend.

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on June 08, 2017, 08:28:47 am
I know you clarified that these are just names being mentioned, not necessarily happening, but Deggs seems silly. The guy is in a supers as a head coach. Not sure why he would come here as an assistant.

Sad to hear Elander is likely going to UT, but makes sense.

Right. I think it's nonsense.

SPAL

How would y'all feel about Trip Couch?

tophawg19

he is a good option and recruits well.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Maddhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2017, 04:27:34 pm
How would y'all feel about Trip Couch?

Is he still at UH?   Would have good recruiting connections. 
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.