Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vitello to Tennessee

Started by PintailKiller, June 07, 2017, 10:20:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

outlawhogeywells

jacobp

TNhawgfan

Talking about it now on local radio. TN loves the hire
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

TNhawgfan

Big, big loss for the program

outlawhogeywells

Now our search for his replacement starts?
Any thoughts on maybe Elander going from volunteer assistant to assistant coach?  I know he does not have the resume

knoxvillehog

That stinks, but good luck to him. Had to know he would get a head job soon. Too good of an assistant.

jry04

Good for him. He will be missed, specifically for his recruiting, but this program is at a point that it can sell itself. I really enjoyed having Vitello, but we will be fine. I say promote Elander because he was the biggest reason for our surge in power this year and the players seemed to love him.

RazorPiggie

Time to go get another Vitello.

311Hog

ouch..... did not want to see that at least not yet.  Knew was matter of time.  I guess baseball doesn't prevent assistants from going to other schools within the conference (as head coaches)

eSECpnBias

Good for him. I'm really going to miss having him on the staff.

Who do we replace him with? What's Bubbs Merrill up to these days?

WizardofhOgZ

Life in the SEC just got even harder.  Give TV two years and Tenn will be in the upper tier of the SEC.  Home run hire (pardon the pun . . . couldn't resist) for them.

Of immediate concern is how it will affect our present commits for 2018 and 2019.

We need to get another ace recruiter.

jry04

Quote from: 311Hog on June 07, 2017, 10:37:21 am
ouch..... did not want to see that at least not yet.  Knew was matter of time.  I guess baseball doesn't prevent assistants from going to other schools within the conference.
No sport prevents assistants from going to other schools within the conference when it is an upgrade. He went from assistant to head coach. If Dan Enos wanted the Ole Miss coaching job and Ole Miss wanted him, there is nothing we can do about it. Same situation here.

We need to keep in mind before people panic is Dave almost always goes and gets an equal or better assistant. We lost Jorn, and got Wes and saw a lot of improvement. Butler was an amazing recruiter that everyone wanted gone because of our hitting but would miss because of his recruiting. We got Vitello, a guy who can recruit with the best of them. One thing I will say is as great as our offense has been lately, Vitello's hiring also was around the time Dave openly admitted to changing our recruiting philosophy and offering more hitters a larger % than just pitchers. Not saying that is why and Vitello isn't, but it is something to think about.

ricepig

5 years @ $500,000, I hate it for us, but he's earned his opportunity.

311Hog

Quote from: jry04 on June 07, 2017, 10:46:24 am
No sport prevents assistants from going to other schools within the conference when it is an upgrade. He went from assistant to head coach. If Dan Enos wanted the Ole Miss coaching job and Ole Miss wanted him, there is nothing we can do about it. Same situation here.

We need to keep in mind before people panic is Dave almost always goes and gets an equal or better assistant. We lost Jorn, and got Wes and saw a lot of improvement. Butler was an amazing recruiter that everyone wanted gone because of our hitting but would miss because of his recruiting. We got Vitello, a guy who can recruit with the best of them. One thing I will say is as great as our offense has been lately, Vitello's hiring also was around the time Dave openly admitted to changing our recruiting philosophy and offering more hitters a larger % than just pitchers. Not saying that is why and Vitello isn't, but it is something to think about.

Oh yeah i am not in panic mode i like you said feel good about who Dave will get.  Not sure why i thought different but yeah no reason to prevent a guy from taking an upgrade.  I guess i rather not face TV within conference =)

bighog2255

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 07, 2017, 10:40:33 am
Life in the SEC just got even harder.  Give TV two years and Tenn will be in the upper tier of the SEC.  Home run hire (pardon the pun . . . couldn't resist) for them.

Of immediate concern is how it will affect our present commits for 2018 and 2019.

We need to get another ace recruiter.

Maybe, but that's the same thing they said about Serrano a few years ago. Will be difficult with Vandy not far away

runninhog

Tennessee is a graveyard program. Haven't done anything since Delmonico's early years. Not surprised he took the job, but he's got his work cut out for him.

WilsonHog

Best of luck to Coach Vitello. He did good work for us while he was on the Hill.

rhog1

It sucks to lose him. Great coach and recruiter. Going to have to find an ace recruiter to replace Vitello.

TNhawgfan

New AD probably promised TV he would put the money in to upgrade the facilities. If they put a little of the money into baseball they do football...he could turn them around

Maddhog

Proud for him but kind of sad too.   I was sort of hoping he would be our HC in a few years.  TN has loads of potential and we know how hard Tony works.  They may be a monster in a few years. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Good look for Arkansas & the program.  If anything, you like for your top assistants (Todd Butler to Wichita & Vitello to Tenn) to get high profile jobs.  Means we must be doing something right here in AR.  I expect a top name to come here.

factchecker

Quote from: gguillo on June 07, 2017, 11:42:52 am
Good look for Arkansas & the program.  If anything, you like for your top assistants (Todd Butler to Wichita & Vitello to Tenn) to get high profile jobs.  Means we must be doing something right here in AR.  I expect a top name to come here.

Also Matt Deggs at Sam Houston:

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/872272572490166272
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog in Iowa

Good luck to you, Coach Vitello.  Thanks for the job you did at UA.  I bet DVH has a good handle on who he wants as a replacement. 
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

jbell96

Quote from: runninhog on June 07, 2017, 11:11:44 am
Tennessee is a graveyard program. Haven't done anything since Delmonico's early years. Not surprised he took the job, but he's got his work cut out for him.

Serrano, despite the lack of on field success, was able to get some good talent to UT over the past few years. I think Tony will do fine there with the talent left over and what he will bring in.

311Hog

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on June 07, 2017, 12:39:40 pm
Good luck to you, Coach Vitello.  Thanks for the job you did at UA.  I bet DVH has a good handle on who he wants as a replacement. 

yeah seems kinda quick after the end of our season i wonder if DVH knew and everyone was just waiting for our season to end.

HogFansReunited

Hate to lose him but can't claim him for leaving. Hope we don't get in many recruiting battles against him though.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

ricepig

Quote from: 311Hog on June 07, 2017, 01:17:59 pm
yeah seems kinda quick after the end of our season i wonder if DVH knew and everyone was just waiting for our season to end.

I'm sure both he and Long knew if Vitello was interviewing at UT.

PorkRyan

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
I'm sure both he and Long knew if Vitello was interviewing at UT.

I was told about it two weeks ago.  Never saw his name mentioned for the job so assumed it was just bad info.  It looks like Tennessee had a deal in place for the South Alabama coach but something fell through.  I assume it fell through because the SC job came open. 

PigDaddyKane

Congrats to Vitello.  I think it's a good sign the number of assistants that have become head coaches.  It will make it easier to replace him.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

zane

Hate that we lose him to a fellow SEC school but he more than deserved the opportunity.

I know it's a big jump but does anyone think DVH moves Elander into the job. Seems he got some praise for the jump in hitting this year.

Edit: didn't see the replacements thread below...
RIP LSUfan

PigWig

Huge loss, and he will be missed dearly.

TebowHater

He absolutely deserves it and I am so happy for him and his family but this certainly is tough. Hopefully our current commits were committed to UA and not TV - if so, we will be fine with the new guy DVH brings in. Baseball recruiting just happens so far in advance that many of the 2018 and 2019 kids are already lining up to schools, leaving fewer left to replace anyone who might flip / the people we were still working on who now may lean the other way. We will be good regardless, but something to consider. Congrats again to TV!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 07, 2017, 10:44:56 am
On paper Tenn and Alabama both got a LOT better in the past month. 

Ironic in light of the former coach at Tenner and his coaching record prior to that. On paper when they hired him it looked like a great hire.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pigture perfect

I hate it for us losing a great Assistant. I hate it for Tennessee of getting him from us more. I hate any team with orange in their Uni"s.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 07, 2017, 04:31:49 pm
I hate it for us losing a great Assistant. I hate it for Tennessee of getting him from us more. I hate any team with orange in their Uni"s.

Same here but I'll say congrats to him on his getting a head coaching job at a P5 school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Maddhog

Puts us in a difficult position, doesn't it?   I want TV to be successful but not Tennessee.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Knot2brite

Quote from: 311Hog on June 07, 2017, 01:17:59 pm
From what I have been told...Vitello was leaving at the end of the season for a head coaching job somewhere ...he wanted to be a head coach and was actively pursuing that dream
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

PORKULATOR

Well crap.
Good luck TV, thanks for the ballplayers you recruited.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

JRHoward

Good luck coach.  Coach DVH has a coaching tree growing.
Woooo Pig!

Rocket23

Three assistants on to P5 head coaching jobs ...   Childress, Butler, and now Vitelli.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Rocket23 on June 07, 2017, 10:58:42 pm
Three assistants on to P5 head coaching jobs ...   Childress, Butler, and now Vitelli.
Also have Deggs at Sam Houston State which is in a Super. DVH has a nice little coaching tree now.

hog.goblin

Happy for Tony.  Says a lot about DVH and the success of our program.  I trust DVH will go out and get the next great recruiter.