Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING NEWS: The story on why last night's game was allowed to continue

Started by JHicks3636, June 05, 2017, 09:34:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Per D-1, after the tarp was called for by the umps in the 8 the inning and DVH blew a gasket, the NCAA site representative, Gene McArtor, overruled the umps and ordered the game to continue. McArtor is a former head NCAA baseball coach who is in the Hall of Fame. Who did he coach?......The University of Missouri!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

That's good to know and it reinforces what I told my wife last night.  If there's anyone to blame for the confusion, it's the home plate ump for calling for the tarp at that time.  He should have been more situationally aware.  DVH did exactly what he should have done, and kudos to the NCAA rep who agreed with him.  The MoState coach can bellyache all he wants, and I probably would too, but he'll just have to get over it.  It played out as fair as it could have.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Tejano Jawg

Interesting. BUT...you still have to give Dave VH most of the credit. He knew what needed to happen, and when. That is balls!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HawginFL1991

Guttin's statement that games shouldn't be decided at 3am in the morning in those kinds of conditions is probably an accurate one...but he doesn't have much to stand on considering the Hogs had to endure the same elements. And if MOSU had pulled it out, he would have been talking about how proud he was of his team for fighting the tough conditions to earn the victory. As it stands, he will probably use the "perceived slight" as a way to help his team feel that it us "us against the world." I hope we roll them!! But given how close the last two games have been I think we are in for another nail biter tonight. I do believe that we win though. WPS!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HawginFL1991 on June 05, 2017, 09:56:47 am
Guttin's statement that games shouldn't be decided at 3am in the morning in those kinds of conditions is probably an accurate one...but he doesn't have much to stand on considering the Hogs had to endure the same elements. And if MOSU had pulled it out, he would have been talking about how proud he was of his team for fighting the tough conditions to earn the victory. As it stands, he will probably use the "perceived slight" as a way to help his team feel that it us "us against the world." I hope we roll them!! But given how close the last two games have been I think we are in for another nail biter tonight. I do believe that we win though. WPS!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Should it have been decided in those conditions at some other time  -  like at 12:35 say?

Pancetta

I hope the umps don't feel showed up by DVH and take it out on us tonight.  Of course you would think if there were hurt feelings they would have taken it out on us last night but you just never know in baseball, it's a funny sport where subjectiveness of umpire calls is celebrated. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Pancetta on June 05, 2017, 10:00:48 am
I hope the umps don't feel showed up by DVH and take it out on us tonight.  Of course you would think if there were hurt feelings they would have taken it out on us last night but you just never know in baseball, it's a funny sport where subjectiveness of umpire calls is celebrated.

NCAA site rep overruled the ump.  Same deal as an Instant Replay upholding a coach's protest in FB.

HawginFL1991

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on June 05, 2017, 10:00:38 am
Should it have been decided in those conditions at some other time  -  like at 12:35 say?

Maybe so...but for our sake I am glad it played out the way it did. Unfortunately, I live on the east coast so I went to bed and missed all the excitement and had to read about it and watch the reply when I got up!  :razorback:

DiamondHogFan

I read where DVH was good with postponing in the 4th during the 1st delay but Guttin didn't want to.  Then he complains afterwards about having to play late/early in the rain.

theFlyingHog

That grouchy bastard didn't have a problem playing when Arledge was airmailing the catcher. Let's hang 15 on em tonight!

HawginFL1991

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 10:21:12 am
That grouchy bastard didn't have a problem playing when Arledge was airmailing the catcher. Let's hang 15 on em tonight!

I agree!!! :razorback: :razorback:

dotnet

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on June 05, 2017, 10:09:13 am
I read where DVH was good with postponing in the 4th during the 1st delay but Guttin didn't want to.  Then he complains afterwards about having to play late/early in the rain.

Where did you see that?

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hog.goblin

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 10:21:12 am

Hog in Iowa

I understood DVH was referring to the ump when he said "some people" were not good with postponing the game during the 1st rain stoppage.  I read that in one of the WholeHog sports columns.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

rhog1

Found their board, their fans are whining hard about getting screwed and being forced to pitch in that rain. One of their fans says the rain we pitched in was nothing close to what they were forced to pitch in. Which is a load of crap.

mizzousteve

Quote from: rhog1 on June 05, 2017, 12:28:35 pm
Found their board, their fans are whining hard about getting screwed and being forced to pitch ih that rain. One of their fans says the rain we pitched in was nothing close to what they were forced to pitch in. Which is a load of crap.

You also have fans over there trying to get personal details on the NCAA site administrator.

Worth noting: Gene McArtor is a long time friend of Keith Guttin (and DVH too).

tennesseehogwild

Found their board, their fans are whining hard about getting screwed and being forced to pitch ih that rain. One of their fans says the rain we pitched in was nothing close to what they were forced to pitch in. Which is a load of crap.

We played defense in the rain 3 times to their one. And they scored on us each time.

jry04

I have read over there, too. Some are very reasonable, but there are a few trying to act like the rain they played in was harder than ours like you said. That is ridiculous. I tried making a post and it is pending approval. I doubt I get approved, even though it wasn't an aggressive post.

Birminghog

Maybe this will help.
https://www.dollardays.com/wholesale-pacifiers.html

WorfHog

I hope the sun is shinning like it is right now while we hang 17 on them.

SMSU fans can stick it where the sun don't shine. Although I guess Baum Stadium at 3am qualifies.

Pig Papi

The MO State fan base is as rude and arrogant as any I have ever seen.  All 1000 of them.

If you take the arrogant fan base of Texas and divide it by about 10 million, add about 50 lbs to each (women and children included), give each a country Southern accent, change their colors from nasty burnt orange to MS State maroon, remove any hint of tradition, take away their own on campus baseball stadium, take away their own national TV deal, and pave all the roads heading in to their campus you have the MO State fan base.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 05, 2017, 01:39:06 pm
The MO State fan base is as rude and arrogant as any I have ever seen.  All 1000 of them.

If you take the arrogant fan base of Texas and divide it by about 10 million, add about 50 lbs to each (women and children included), give each a country Southern accent, change their colors from nasty burnt orange to MS State maroon, remove any hint of tradition, take away their own on campus baseball stadium, take away their own national TV deal, and pave all the roads heading in to their campus you have the MO State fan base.

good lord ^^

ROFL
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

MSUDuo

Must not have seen too many then!

WilsonHog

Let's don't let hyperbole make us look foolish. No need to overstate. I have a family member who has worked on the Missouri State campus for three years. She has made life-long friends there, and I have met a lot of good people from Springfield. Are there some you wouldn't be excited to invite to the family BBQ? Yeah, probably so, but that makes them no different from other fan bases. They're people, too; they just choose to root for another team.

DLUXHOG

Actually, they may be a bit arrogant (but light years less than Texass fans), but overall they are really good, down to earth, simple folk.   I know quite a few and have a few nieces & nephews that are alumni of MSU as well....   
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dirty

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 05, 2017, 04:12:49 pm
Let's don't let hyperbole make us look foolish. No need to overstate. I have a family member who has worked on the Missouri State campus for three years. She has made life-long friends there, and I have met a lot of good people from Springfield. Are there some you wouldn't be excited to invite to the family BBQ? Yeah, probably so, but that makes them no different from other fan bases. They're people, too; they just choose to root for another team.

They are collaborators.  ;)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 05, 2017, 04:12:49 pm

thanks
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hog.goblin

I have a lot of hate for the Missouri St baseball team, their staff, and some of their fans.

But I have a ton of respect for them too.  They consistently have a great team, talented players (many of whom were underrated), players who don't give up, and I would like the attitude if it was a little less whiney.

theFlyingHog

My man just went n threw gas on this budding rivalry

JoeyCapital

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 05:40:22 pm
My man just went n threw gas on this budding rivalry

It's only a rivalry if both teams win. Here's to hoping we beat that azz and keep it from happening.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

moses_007

I've never seen a baseball game played with that much rain coming down.  Unbelievable.......

Rocket23

One to consider though, the television cameras make the rainfall look a lot worse than actually is.  Regardless that was rain for a longer period than usual to play baseball in.  They are whining just to whine.

Pig Papi

Yes my post was made mostly in jest after sitting very close to a bunch of MSU fans for way too long over the weekend.

I will say they have a very very good baseball team and they should be proud of them.

Disappointing ending to the season but this team far exceeded my expectations.

WPS