Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAAT REGIONAL FINAL GAME THREAD:#1 ARKANSAS (45-18) vs #2 Missouri State 42-18

Started by Razorbacks#1, June 05, 2017, 06:21:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseehogwild

"Mo State can cry all they want!  Fact is we pitched and played defense in the rain three times to their one. And I didn't see our guys throwing hissy fits ....they manned up, even though we gave up runs all three times. So Coach Guttin...STFU!

hog.goblin

Quote from: Sho Nuff on June 05, 2017, 08:56:51 am
Does anyone else get the urge to punch Keith Guttin in his throat?

Yes, and he has everyone in the national media supporting him because they are ignoring the context of the rainy conditions that got MOST back in the game.

bighog2255

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 05, 2017, 11:44:13 am
Yes, and he has everyone in the national media supporting him because they are ignoring the context of the rainy conditions that got MOST back in the game.

I think they are supporting his comment that games of that magnitude shouldn't be decided at 3:00 AM, which I think everyone agrees with. The part they are missing is that he wanted to keep playing after midnight after the first rain delay, because they has us on the ropes.

It should have been postponed (after the first delay) until this afternoon, but the 3 AM ending makes a great story for the ages

hogsanity

I've never understood coaches that complain about time or weather since BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions and on the same clock.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JHicks3636

I think the real over/under prop bet is: Does any Arkansas pitcher go more than 2 innings?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:52:56 am

It should have been postponed (after the first delay) until this afternoon, but the 3 AM ending makes a great story for the ages
Yes, they could have easily postponed it at the midnight delay, but when you decide to finish after the delay, you can't postpone it at 3 am.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Speaking of weather, what's it look like in beautiful Fayetteville today?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 05, 2017, 11:35:31 am
"Mo State can cry all they want!  Fact is we pitched and played defense in the rain three times to their one. And I didn't see our guys throwing hissy fits ....they manned up, even though we gave up runs all three times. So Coach Guttin...STFU!

Exactly.  It was what it was.  It wasn't like the situation was by design.  The best played through it and prevailed.

Had the lowly Kulaks managed to win the game we would not heard cr@pola out of them.  Bunch of whiny Kulaks.

As you said, the Great Red Army "manned up" and was victorious in the toughest of conditions.  Tonight, the Great Red Army disposes of the last of the sissyfied Kulak invaders!

jry04

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 05, 2017, 11:59:38 am
Speaking of weather, what's it look like in beautiful Fayetteville today?
A few tiny storms around the area, but no threat of rain for the game. Looks like may have a few pop-up showers throughout the day. Sky looks dark South/southwest, but moving away from us.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I think they are supporting his comment that games of that magnitude shouldn't be decided at 3:00 AM, which I think everyone agrees with.

Not me.  A game is a game is a game.  The battlefield is what it is.  Has we lost, oh well, that would be that.

Last night was a true test of grit for any team.  I loved it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Who was in charge of pulling the fire alarm in the Bears hotel around 7am this morning?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 05, 2017, 10:48:00 am
Side note: Missouri State's pitching coach is the number one reason there should be a clock to time visits to the mound beginning the moment the coach steps onto the field. His slow trot is absolutely ridiculous in an era where baseball's biggest issue is the length of games.
Number one rule in BBQ is don't rush it. That pork butt stall will drive you crazy but ol Rob Ryan had it figured out

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 05, 2017, 11:56:47 am
I think the real over/under prop bet is: Does any Arkansas pitcher go more than 2 innings?

You have to hope you can find one that will get in a good grove and give you 4 innings.  If General Van Horn, the great Dutch Aristocrat, can get that from one of his Red Army mound captains, the chance for thundering victory greatly increases.

Not that it matters because we are going to kick the dog s*** out of them anyway. ;) The only Kulaks left alive will be the ones that never left Missouri and Oklahoma to do battle in Fayettenam.

The Great Red Army will not be denied.  Tonight, we celebrate!!

And then we get ready to take on another band of outlaw Kulaks next weekend.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 05, 2017, 12:20:47 pm
You have to hope you can find one that will get in a good grove and give you 4 innings.  If General Van Horn, the great Dutch Aristocrat, can get that from one of his Red Army mound captains, the chance for thundering victory greatly increases.

Not that it matters because we are going to kick the dog s*** out of them anyway. ;) The only Kulaks left alive will be the ones that never left Missouri and Oklahoma to do battle in Fayettenam.

The Great Red Army will not be denied.  Tonight, we celebrate!!

And then we get ready to take on another band of outlaw Kulaks next weekend.

Tovarisch Kalashnikov says he'll drink to that

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 12:27:00 pm

Tovarisch Kalashnikov says he'll drink to that

All Hail and toast Red Army comrade, Field General Tovarisch Kalashnikov!!

May he live long and prosper! 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 05, 2017, 12:33:32 pm
All Hail and toast Red Army comrade, Field General Tovarisch Kalashnikov!!

May he live long and prosper!
Too bad ol Mikhail invented his rifle in a communist country. He's probably living well (if he's still alive?) but not as good as he would be in the US!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 12:35:48 pm
Too bad ol Mikhail invented his rifle in a communist country. He's probably living well (if he's still alive?) but not as good as he would be in the US!

Mikhail prospered well.  He was granted a Siberian winter's supply of grains and meat for creating his genius design for the mother country.  Siberian winters are long.  The best part o the deal, he got to keep his original rifle.

respirback

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 10:52:22 am
No offense to Cronin, but he's been showing to be a 4-6 out guy.  Which is we can get 4-6 outs from a few guys then piece together a few more we are right where we want them.  In my mind though I save a Cronin and or reindl for jams or late innings.  Lee has even shown to possibly demand duh treatment. 

I hope whoever starts though gets us into the 5th with a lead.

I don't see Cronin getting us out of a jam. I love the speed and movement but he hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently as of late. MSU seems to be good at laying off pitches out of the zone.

jry04

Quote from: respirback on June 05, 2017, 12:59:54 pm
I don't see Cronin getting us out of a jam. I love the speed and movement but he hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently as of late. MSU seems to be good at laying off pitches out of the zone.
To be fair, last night he got the first 2 batters he faced with relative ease. Then, he fell mid-pitch and I think it messed with his head the rest of his outing.

Hog-Corleone

I know this might be is a whole lot of wishful thinking, but I see that Campbell is on the regional roster.  Is there any chance that he could go?
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

vandybuff

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 05, 2017, 11:44:13 am

I am often amazing by the simple lack of logic that some people have.  Its axiomatic that you cant understand practically anything separate from its context.  That would be equivalent of a dog wagging his tail at you as you cursed him in a sweet sounding voice. 

For the umps suspending play after the hogs had to play through the rain that made the outfielders commit bad throws (by normally superior defensive outfielders); that had their pitchers falling on the mound, etc and giving up the lead (and in fact falling behind) would have been a miscarriage of justice. 

Further, I submit it would be a violation of the principle philosophy of rules and officiating in the first place-not to allowing a player or team to gain an unfair advantage.  That is the context, if they dont get that, then I submit that they are EMR (educable mentally retarded) at best. 

You can rationally disagree that the game should never have resumed after the first delay (until today) but to handicap one team with having to play in the field under unfavorable conditions until the other team was ahead and then to stop it there is certifiably insane or worse, dishonest or intellectually vapid. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

I think they are supporting his comment that games of that magnitude shouldn't be decided at 3:00 AM, which I think everyone agrees with. The part they are missing is that he wanted to keep playing after midnight after the first rain delay, because they has us on the ropes.

with that I also agree!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jry04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 05, 2017, 01:23:29 pm
I am often amazing by the simple lack of logic that some people have.  Its axiomatic that you cant understand practically anything separate from its context.  That would be equivalent of a dog wagging his tail at you as you cursed him in a sweet sounding voice. 

For the umps suspending play after the hogs had to play through the rain that made the outfielders commit bad throws (by normally superior defensive outfielders); that had their pitchers falling on the mound, etc and giving up the lead (in in fact falling behind) would have been a miscarriage of justice. 

Further, I submit it would be a violation of the principle philosophy of rules and officiating in the first place-not to allowing a player or team to gain an unfair advantage.  That is the context, if they dont get that, then I submit that they are EMR (educable mentally retarded) at best. 

You can rationally disagree that the game should never have resumed after the first delay (until today) but to handicap one team with having to play in the field under unfavorable conditions until the other team was ahead and then to stop it there is certifiably insane or worse, dishonest or intellectually vapid. 
I also think one point a lot of people fail to discuss is how unfair it would be for both teams had they suspended the play. Game 7 wasn't being moved. It is a firm 6pm start time barring bad weather, which isn't in the forecast. Therefore, the remainder of game 6 would have had to start around 12pm or 1pm to assure enough time if it were to go into extras, plus enough time for the mandatory 55 minute field prep in between. They cannot start the game at 3 or 4 pm and just hope it only goes 9. If that game goes into extras and ends up being 12-13 innings long, there is a good chance a 2 or 3 pm start doesn't allow enough time to start at 6pm. Therefore, game 6 would start around 12-1pm and would mean these players leaving the field at 2:30 am, getting to bed at the earliest 3:30 am after cleaning out the dugout and driving home, would have to turn around and be back at the field by probably 10 am. They would essentially be playing these games deciding their season on a few hours of sleep.

Had they suspended play at 2:30am, we come back and play the rest of the game and win, and then beat them in game 7, Guttin would be crying about how his guys just weren't rested enough and that they should have finished the game the night before since they were already out there.

Birminghog

Quote from: vandybuff on June 05, 2017, 01:20:02 pm
Good luck to you and all the SEC schools.

You too, Vandy. I'm with you. Rooting for A&M right now, which is highly irregular for me. Will be rooting for you guys this afternoon for sure. Thanks for your support.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 05, 2017, 12:06:44 pm
Exactly.  It was what it was.  It wasn't like the situation was by design.  The best played through it and prevailed.

Had the lowly Kulaks managed to win the game we would not heard cr@pola out of them.  Bunch of whiny Kulaks.

As you said, the Great Red Army "manned up" and was victorious in the toughest of conditions.  Tonight, the Great Red Army disposes of the last of the sissyfied Kulak invaders!

I agree wholehearted with most of your post, however, we have had two one run games so far.  I think its gong to be a dogfight.  I would be surprised if it was anything else.  Despite their coaches whining (and I submit that the whining was because he doesn't want any part of our team a third time) they are still a very quality team. 

Birminghog

let's try again to quote the right person, shall we? I'll blame it on lack of sleep, but that's a poor excuse.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 05, 2017, 01:33:38 pm
The NCAA needs to examine their regional scheduling rules and procedures.  Situations like yesterday should be avoided as much as possible and there were solutions available that could have avoided the late night / early morning that was.

probably true, but the amount of rain delays this year is pretty much unprecedented, how to you have rules for mother nature.  I dont think she would follow them anyway. 

Birminghog

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2017, 01:29:03 pm
I also think one point a lot of people fail to discuss is how unfair it would be for both teams had they suspended the play. Game 7 wasn't being moved. It is a firm 6pm start time barring bad weather, which isn't in the forecast. Therefore, the remainder of game 6 would have had to start around 12pm or 1pm to assure enough time if it were to go into extras, plus enough time for the mandatory 55 minute field prep in between. They cannot start the game at 3 or 4 pm and just hope it only goes 9. If that game goes into extras and ends up being 12-13 innings long, there is a good chance a 2 or 3 pm start doesn't allow enough time to start at 6pm. Therefore, game 6 would start around 12-1pm and would mean these players leaving the field at 2:30 am, getting to bed at the earliest 3:30 am after cleaning out the dugout and driving home, would have to turn around and be back at the field by probably 10 am. They would essentially be playing these games deciding their season on a few hours of sleep.

Had they suspended play at 2:30am, we come back and play the rest of the game and win, and then beat them in game 7, Guttin would be crying about how his guys just weren't rested enough and that they should have finished the game the night before since they were already out there.

This, which is why they have an NCAA rep there and why McArtor has the job.

Hawgphish

It was an incredible win.  But I can't understand why at Midnight they did not tarp it and bring us back at noon today to finish.  What was the urgency to get it in last night/this morning?

Birminghog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 05, 2017, 01:35:28 pm
probably true, but the amount of rain delays this year is pretty much unprecedented, how to you have rules for mother nature.  I dont think she would follow them anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j12J3PCai5A

SPAL

Quote from: Hawgphish on June 05, 2017, 01:37:53 pm
It was an incredible win.  But I can't understand why at Midnight they did not tarp it and bring us back at noon today to finish.  What was the urgency to get it in last night/this morning?

See jry04's post about 8 above you.

bighog2255

Quote from: seasonhog on June 05, 2017, 10:26:07 am
Yes!.....ESPNU said ARK/MSU.....6pm

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on June 05, 2017, 10:46:10 am
Glad to see that confirmed cause the ESPN Watch schedule shows us playing at 3:00.

4:00 PM
Missouri State vs. Arkansas (Site 14 / Game 7) (NCAA Baseball Championship)

I don't see where this is posted anywhere??

woodhog14

Quote from: Birminghog on June 05, 2017, 01:30:27 pm
You too, Vandy. I'm with you. Rooting for A&M right now, which is highly irregular for me. Will be rooting for you guys this afternoon for sure. Thanks for your support.
No way! Screw A&M in every sport, every year. I wish they would go 0 for in every sport.

vandybuff

Quote from: Birminghog on June 05, 2017, 01:30:27 pm

Thank you so and most glad to support you .... you all here are very kind to me.  And I am a conference fan, so while I would be very happy to see Houston advance (for sentimental reason), I will cheer a "straight-conference" ticket.

And if Vandy wins, we go to Corvallis, which might be a short trip :) but it lets ours guys see some country they may not have seen before, and who knows, perhaps a kid from the area will see the games and want to be a 'Dore.

Again, all the best to you tonight!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: respirback on June 05, 2017, 12:59:54 pm

Interesting.  He's retired like 8 of the last 10 batters he's faced. 

USChog

Hey EI! Long time lurker who finally made an account last night at about 2:45 in the morning. I use Hogville a lot to keep up with Razorback sports, but EI is by far the best forum. Keep up the good work guys. I don't have much to add to the conversation, but I was amped after Gates hit that HR in the 8th so I decided to finally create an account!

Go Hogs! Screw the Mizzou Lite State Bears!

Hawgphish

Quote from: USChog on June 05, 2017, 02:57:40 pm
Hey EI! Long time lurker who finally made an account last night at about 2:45 in the morning. I use Hogville a lot to keep up with Razorback sports, but EI is by far the best forum. Keep up the good work guys. I don't have much to add to the conversation, but I was amped after Gates hit that HR in the 8th so I decided to finally create an account!

Welcome! 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
Yeah my foggy memory from last night was that he destroyed batters before his awkward landing/slip

Pudgepork

bighog2255

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 05, 2017, 03:13:53 pm
Yeah my foggy memory from last night was that he destroyed batters before his awkward landing/slip

He wasn't good Saturday night. Faced 2 batters. Plunked the first guy in the head, and walked the next guy on 4 pitches. Unproven IMO

Pudgepork

Quote from: USChog on June 05, 2017, 02:57:40 pm

Glad you became vocal, visible and a signed up hog fanatic.  You already know that this forum is addictive so join in and share the fun

Pudgepork

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 03:18:35 pm
He wasn't good Saturday night. Faced 2 batters. Plunked the first guy in the head, and walked the next guy on 4 pitches. Unproven IMO

Yeah but you gotta admit that he looks great on the mound.   Like a poster boy

onebadrubi

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 03:18:35 pm

What about the 7-7 or whatever from the previous game?

nesjunk

Texas A&M will host Davidson in College Station in the Super Regionals.

USChog

Quote from: nesjunk on June 05, 2017, 03:34:52 pm
Texas A&M will host Davidson in College Station in the Super Regionals.

A&M to host a super, who would have thought? I checked their forum the weekend we were spanking them and they were so down on their team. They were worried about missing out on post season play all together. Now they get to host a super! Baseball...

bighog2255

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 03:31:47 pm
What about the 7-7 or whatever from the previous game?

He pitched 3 scoreless innings against Auburn in the SEC tournament. He looked great with 6 K's, but also had 3 walks. There was no pressure on him either, since we had a huge lead (Won 12-0 in 7 innings)
Quote from: Pudgepork on June 05, 2017, 03:24:30 pm

Yeah but you gotta admit that he looks great on the mound.   Like a poster boy

He does look great, and I believe he will be very good next year. But I trust Lee, Reindl, Kopps more than I do Cronin at this point

jm

Quote from: Hawgphish on June 05, 2017, 01:37:53 pm

They could have, but once it is resumed it must be finished if there is any way possible.

BroyledNutts

Put this in another thread, but I think it needs to be here ...
I just realized this ... tonight will be the last game at Baum Stadium for the year. Win or lose.
TCU will most likely win their regional, and will host the winner of tonight's game next weekend.
Anyone who wishes to experience the magic and madness of Baum Stadium and Razorback Baseball one last time this year needs to be there tonight.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 05, 2017, 04:05:42 pm
Put this in another thread, but I think it needs to be here ...
I just realized this ... tonight will be the last game at Baum Stadium for the year. Win or lose.
TCU will most likely win their regional, and will host the winner of tonight's game next weekend.
Anyone who wishes to experience the magic and madness of Baum Stadium and Razorback Baseball one last time this year needs to be there tonight.

I wish I didn't live about 4 hours away.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568