NCAAT REGIONAL FINAL GAME THREAD:#1 ARKANSAS (45-18) vs #2 Missouri State 42-18

Started by Razorbacks#1, June 05, 2017, 06:21:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks#1

#1 Arkansas vs #2 Missouri State  at Fayetteville, Arkansas
                                    Monday @6:00 PM Central

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2017 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL
                                    ROAD TO OMAHA GAME THREAD

#1 ARKANSAS (45-18) VS #2 Missouri State (42-18)

First Pitch is set for 6:00 PM CT and WILL NOT TELEVISED . This game will be streamed live online on WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. also.

THIS IS A DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, Maddhog,  Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, ucahogfan, HogFansReunited    will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

TIME TO CALL THE HOGS!

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

:razorback:

0          6:00pm                  0                   
                 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | -  |  R |  H  | E  |LOB
MSU         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
ARK         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

:razorback:

THUNDER!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

shotgun7

SPAL

I guess Evan Lee will start?

I would think Knight would be the only arm unavailable, but even he might pitch to a batter or two. Reindl might also be a last resort. Tac may only be available for an inning as well. After that, most people should at least be good for at least 2 innings.

Alberius may be your hired hand. He only threw 40 yesterday and that was for a reason. He will probably be able to give you 50-60 today. That needs to be good for 4 innings. Chadwick has to be on as he is a guy that could give you 2.

We will need to score in bunches because they will be short in the pen as well.

We've come his far, we might as well finish it.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: twistitup on June 05, 2017, 06:27:23 am
Watch party at the Moon Tower
Sweet! I'm heading to Houston tomorrow to get my Aerosmith tickets. Top priority of the summer
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

dotnet

i agree, it's lee, alberius, and Chadwick in some order. After that you can probably go to kopps, taco, Stephan for a little bit.

The hope would be Chadwick is on and he can get you four innings or so.

TheEnemy

I wonder if they will pitch Still.... I think he only threw around 70 pictures Friday

razorbackfan86

onebadrubi

Quote from: TheEnemy on June 05, 2017, 08:49:23 am
I wonder if they will pitch Still.... I think he only threw around 70 pictures Friday

I bet we see their Friday guy, as angry as they are after last night, I think they come at us with everything they got and we better make him regret it. 

I think knight reindl and Murphy are out for sure.  After that I think you have all those pitchers left to get you hopefully 27 outs with a lead.  I don't think we will see a guy getting pulled while still pitching well, at least I hope not. 

I hope DVH keeps the ol double switch in his bag of tricks too.  He could bring Lee In then switch him to field and bring him back in to pitch. 

knoxvillehog

I agree and think it will be Alberius to start with Chadwick first out if the pen, although I like Lee starting to get those 2 leftys out to start. Have we retired the lead off man in 2 games? Dude is killing us.

Sho Nuff

Does anyone else get the urge to punch Keith Guttin in his throat?

PigWig

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2017, 07:22:58 am

I would think Knight would be the only arm unavailable, but even he might pitch to a batter or two. Reindl might also be a last resort. Tac may only be available for an inning as well. After that, most people should at least be good for at least 2 innings.

Alberius may be your hired hand. He only threw 40 yesterday and that was for a reason. He will probably be able to give you 50-60 today. That needs to be good for 4 innings. Chadwick has to be on as he is a guy that could give you 2.

Cronin has had short outings each time, he will give us some innings if he pitches well. Reindl has been as efficient as you can be, so even though he has had 3 appearances, he will still be available late. He threw about 20-25 in the 2nd game, and threw 18 pitches and recorded 7 outs v ORU.

I think their normal bullpen day would be tomorrow, so I could definitely see Knight and Stephan coming out of the pen late for a batter or two and just skip bullpen session tomorrow. At this point, it will be all hands on deck for at least a batter or two. Even Kopps and Murphy will be able to throw 20-25 pitches if I had to guess.

I was reading the Missouri State message board and they are really worried about tonight because of how little pitching they have left. Knutson is their usual game 3 starter and he has thrown 3 straight games for a total of 5 innings and 70 pitches. Fromson is their stud in the bullpen that Gates took yard. He has thrown 3 straight games for 80 pitches and a total of 5 innings. Coleman was the game 2 starter, and he threw 102 pitches. Witherspoon threw 65 pitches in just over 3 innings yesterday. I feel like Dave managed our pitching staff much better than their coach managed theirs. Maybe they aren't as deep as D1 baseball made them sound, but MSU has thrown a lot of guys 40+ pitches in every game. Alberius is reliever who has thrown 40 or more pitches in a single outing this regional. Taco threw 34 v Missouri State this morning, and everyone else threw in the 20s or fewer.

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 08:54:53 am
I bet we see their Friday guy, as angry as they are after last night, I think they come at us with everything they got and we better make him regret it. 

I think knight reindl and Murphy are out for sure.  After that I think you have all those pitchers left to get you hopefully 27 outs with a lead.  I don't think we will see a guy getting pulled while still pitching well, at least I hope not. 

I hope DVH keeps the ol double switch in his bag of tricks too.  He could bring Lee In then switch him to field and bring him back in to pitch. 

Their coach made be mad but surely he isn't stupid enough to start Asusa, they would basically be kissing any chances of winning a possible Super Regional against TCU good bye. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch to a batter or 2 sometime late in the game but I don't see him starting.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2017, 09:24:24 am
Their coach made be mad but surely he isn't stupid enough to start Asusa, they would basically be kissing any chances of winning a possible Super Regional against TCU good bye. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch to a batter or 2 sometime late in the game but I don't see him starting.
Ausua doesn't even play for Missouri State...

Doug Still is their ace, and he is a stud. He is a lefty that could give us fits. He threw 72 pitches. He will without a doubt throw 2-3 innings this game if needed. Wouldn't be shocked if he started. Young is really their only guy who is fresh, but he is used to throwing as a closer. After that all of their arms have 60+ pitches.

bighog2255

Their coach made be mad but surely he isn't stupid enough to start Asusa

I don't think he is eligible to pitch....He plays for Oral Roberts....

onebadrubi

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 05, 2017, 09:31:49 am
Early Vegas line on tonight's game - 10.5 innings, 42.5 minutes of delays, 1.5 pork butts consumed by Mo State staff....

What say you?

I'll take the over on the prop bet on pitching changes

Wild Bill Hog

Should have posted a little more cautiously Guv.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

jbell96

Please go away.......

JHicks3636

Guv is probably exhausted like most of us who stayed up. Also the whole tournament is just blending together now. After I made my first mistake a few days back, I've taken it easy on others' mistakes.

TheEnemy

Still is their one advantage.  Only going 72 pitches Friday....if he is on he could man up and go 5-6 innings....hopefully we get him out of there early

seasonhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2017, 07:22:58 am

I think I just heard the game will be on ESPNU.........after last night I might be hearing thing.......3:11AM

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TheEnemy on June 05, 2017, 09:52:29 am
Still is their one advantage.  Only going 72 pitches Friday....if he is on he could man up and go 5-6 innings....hopefully we get him out of there early
6 innings after throwing 72 pitches just 3 days ago? I wouldn't do it if i was the coach...unless you only care about beating the hogs and not having your best pitcher hurting  in case you advance

TNhawgfan

Quote from: seasonhog on June 05, 2017, 09:54:39 am
I think I just heard the game will be on ESPNU.........after last night I might be hearing thing.......3:11AM
Secsports.com is showing espn3

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2017, 09:10:30 am
Cronin has had short outings each time, he will give us some innings if he pitches well. Reindl has been as efficient as you can be, so even though he has had 3 appearances, he will still be available late. He threw about 20-25 in the 2nd game, and threw 18 pitches and recorded 7 outs v ORU.

I think their normal bullpen day would be tomorrow, so I could definitely see Knight and Stephan coming out of the pen late for a batter or two and just skip bullpen session tomorrow. At this point, it will be all hands on deck for at least a batter or two. Even Kopps and Murphy will be able to throw 20-25 pitches if I had to guess.

I was reading the Missouri State message board and they are really worried about tonight because of how little pitching they have left. Knutson is their usual game 3 starter and he has thrown 3 straight games for a total of 5 innings and 70 pitches. Fromson is their stud in the bullpen that Gates took yard. He has thrown 3 straight games for 80 pitches and a total of 5 innings. Coleman was the game 2 starter, and he threw 102 pitches. Witherspoon threw 65 pitches in just over 3 innings yesterday. I feel like Dave managed our pitching staff much better than their coach managed theirs. Maybe they aren't as deep as D1 baseball made them sound, but MSU has thrown a lot of guys 40+ pitches in every game. Alberius is reliever who has thrown 40 or more pitches in a single outing this regional. Taco threw 34 v Missouri State this morning, and everyone else threw in the 20s or fewer.

Good point on Cronin. He really hasn't thrown much. If he could get us 3 solid innings, that would be icing.

TheEnemy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 05, 2017, 10:00:40 am
6 innings after throwing 72 pitches just 3 days ago? I wouldn't do it if i was the coach...unless you only care about beating the hogs and not having your best pitcher hurting  in case you advance

Still is pretty efficient though I think.  If he is on he could keep his numbers down.

You don't save pitchers for the Super on Elimination Monday.....you throw whatever gives you a chance to win.

bhogs05

I just hope Chadwick can pitch more than a couple batters..we are going to need him to go at least 2 innings to win I think.  He's the freshest arm we have but has really struggled lately, hopefully tonight is the night he gets it back. 

Pig Power

Quote from: Sho Nuff on June 05, 2017, 08:56:51 am
Does anyone else get the urge to punch Keith Guttin in his throat?
Guttin is an angry old man for sure. Gotta love their Sasquatch pitching coach too

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TheEnemy on June 05, 2017, 10:06:43 am
Still is pretty efficient though I think.  If he is on he could keep his numbers down.

He would have to be super efficient to pitch six innings and be under 80 pitches, and even at 80 that's a lot after just throwing 70. Not saying he can't, just i wouldn't if i was the coach

bighog2255

Quote from: seasonhog on June 05, 2017, 09:54:39 am

Will likely be shown on ESPNU or SEC Network. According to the ESPN schedule, there are 3 games starting at 6:00 -  FSU-Auburn is slated for ESPN2, while the ESPNU and SEC networks slots are open.

However, there are games at 3:00 on those networks which I can almost guarantee will not be completed with the 3 hour window (nobody has pitching left). Anyways, here is the schedule:

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule?type=upcoming

jry04

Quote from: TheEnemy on June 05, 2017, 10:06:43 am

You don't save pitchers for the Super on Elimination Monday.....you throw whatever gives you a chance to win.
He is very efficient, but he still wouldn't be available for more than 3 innings I would imagine. 72 pitches plus warming up pregame, and warming up in between innings 6 times combined with what he throws today. If he went 6 innings again he would likely end up throwing close to 200 pitches in 4 days between the warm up and game pitches. I imagine Still would be a on a 30-40 pitch count, and if Knight or Stephan came in it would be 20 or less, or maybe just to get a batter.

seasonhog

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 10:19:21 am
Will likely be shown on ESPNU or SEC Network. According to the ESPN schedule, there are 3 games starting at 6:00 -  FSU-Auburn is slated for ESPN2, while the ESPNU and SEC networks slots are open.

However, there are games at 3:00 on those networks which I can almost guarantee will not be completed with the 3 hour window (nobody has pitching left). Anyways, here is the schedule:

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule?type=upcoming

Yes!.....ESPNU said ARK/MSU.....6pm

onebadrubi

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 05, 2017, 09:40:04 am
How could I forget about that!  Just added! 

To paraphrase the MIMITW - Stay awake my friends!

7.5?  Heck I bet we see at least 6 Arkansas pitchers if DVH is going by his seemingly latest rule of 20-30 pitches per pitcher.  Granted that might have been to not waste anyone for future games and that being said there isn't another game after today without adequate rest

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 05, 2017, 10:40:56 am
7.5?  Heck I bet we see at least 6 Arkansas pitchers if DVH is going by his seemingly latest rule of 20-30 pitches per pitcher.  Granted that might have been to not waste anyone for future games and that being said there isn't another game after today without adequate rest
I think it was more to make sure we have enough guys for tonight. MSU has probably 6 guys with 60+ pitches this weekend. I think we have 3 or 4.

JHicks3636

At least after the game last night we didn't have to ask "Is it Monday yet".

Wild Bill Hog

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: seasonhog on June 05, 2017, 10:26:07 am
Yes!.....ESPNU said ARK/MSU.....6pm

Glad to see that confirmed cause the ESPN Watch schedule shows us playing at 3:00.

4:00 PM
Missouri State vs. Arkansas (Site 14 / Game 7) (NCAA Baseball Championship)

JonClaudeVanHam

Side note: Missouri State's pitching coach is the number one reason there should be a clock to time visits to the mound beginning the moment the coach steps onto the field. His slow trot is absolutely ridiculous in an era where baseball's biggest issue is the length of games.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

TheEnemy

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2017, 10:22:37 am
He is very efficient, but he still wouldn't be available for more than 3 innings I would imagine. 72 pitches plus warming up pregame, and warming up in between innings 6 times combined with what he throws today. If he went 6 innings again he would likely end up throwing close to 200 pitches in 4 days between the warm up and game pitches. I imagine Still would be a on a 30-40 pitch count, and if Knight or Stephan came in it would be 20 or less, or maybe just to get a batter.

Yeah but he has thrown over 100 pitches in a game 4 times this year and over 110 three of those and routinely goes high 90s in games....so he looks pretty durable.

It is possible he could man up if he is hitting on all cylinders and we are hungover.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 05, 2017, 10:04:00 am
Good point on Cronin. He really hasn't thrown much. If he could get us 3 solid innings, that would be icing.

No offense to Cronin, but he's been showing to be a 4-6 out guy.  Which is we can get 4-6 outs from a few guys then piece together a few more we are right where we want them.  In my mind though I save a Cronin and or reindl for jams or late innings.  Lee has even shown to possibly demand duh treatment. 

I hope whoever starts though gets us into the 5th with a lead. 

jry04

Quote from: TheEnemy on June 05, 2017, 10:48:48 am
Yeah but he has thrown over 100 pitches in a game 4 times this year and over 110 three of those and routinely goes high 90s in games....so he looks pretty durable.

It is possible he could man up if he is hitting on all cylinders and we are hungover.

I understand that, but throwing 100-110 pitches in one outing is not the same as throwing 2 different outings for 6+ innings. If you average 10 pitches per inning you are doing GREAT. So let's say he comes out and throws an average of 10 per inning, he is combining for 132 total pitches in 2 outings in 4 days, and you combine all of the warm-up pitches in between the total of 11 or 12 innings you think he can throw plus warming up in the bullpen before the game. That is a lot of throwing for a guy who has MLB potential. It is dangerous. I think the guy could definitely go 2-3 innings for 30 or maybe 40 pitches at most. MSU usually takes care of their pitchers though, so if I had to guess he would be on a strict pitch count. If he went into the 50-60 pitch range it would be a shocker unless he was just cruising and they weren't "high stress" pitches.

If I had to guess, any starter from a previous game who throws again tonight will be moving their bullpen session up a day and throwing the same number of pitches they would as if it were their bullpen session. I guess Missouri State doesn't have a ton of options, but I think they would be highly criticized throwing Still more than a couple innings.

Hog-Corleone

Where can I get a copy of the official roster that is available for this regional?
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

BigBrandonAllenFan

All Hail the Great Red Army of Fayettenam!!

Conquering Kulaks everywhere.

onebadrubi