Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holbrook Out at USCe

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, May 20, 2017, 05:47:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

Does the pillsbury dough boy get axed if the Gamecocks don't make the post-season in 2018? I'm thinking he gets another year for sure. He was Ray Tanner's pick. But the heat will be on Tanner to make a change if next season is dismal. South Carolina baseball has seen a steady decline in success since Tanner left the team for the AD job. 

Scott7703

During the razorback game on sec network yesterday the announcers were giving Carolina a shot at making the post season this year. Kinda surprised me but that's what they said.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 21, 2017, 07:46:25 am
During the razorback game on sec network yesterday the announcers were giving Carolina a shot at making the post season this year. Kinda surprised me but that's what they said.

I don't see how. They lost 8 SEC series.

King

Maybe Perry Costello is going to ump their SECT games.

SPAL

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 21, 2017, 07:46:25 am

I don't remember that. They said their only chance was to win the SECT

CJ HOG

Not sure if this comes as a suprise after missing the postseason for the 2nd time in 3 years. Tanner had the program running pretty darn good before turning it over to Holbrook. I hope they stay away from any/all of our assistant coaches and vulture sombody else.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article154752604.html

BroyledNutts

Calvi, Bakich, or Lovelady make the most sense from that list of supposed prospects ... getting one of the others on that list to leave an already highly competitive program, some within this conference, to move to USCe would be extremely difficult to say the least.

I hope that our assistants can stay under the radar and stick around a while. There's something special building here if we can retain them all.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Kinda felt it was coming when I started this thread.

Chad Holbrook has resigned this morning at South Carolina.

Missing the tourney 2 out of the last 3 seasons just didn't sit well with South Carolina fans, or Ray Tanner either I guess.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Oops.  Didn't see this thread when I resurrected the other Holbrook thread from a few weeks ago.

PorkRyan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 07, 2017, 12:36:04 am
Calvi, Bakich, or Lovelady make the most sense from that list of supposed prospects ... getting one of the others on that list to leave an already highly competitive program, some within this conference, to move to USCe would be extremely difficult to say the least.

I hope that our assistants can stay under the radar and stick around a while. There's something special building here if we can retain them all.

Might as well have added Joe Maddon to that list while they are dreaming.  According to Kendall Rogers, Calvi is the frontrunner.

I worry about Vitello once the dominos start falling, but I don't know if the right job is going to come open.  I thought we would hear his name for the Tennessee job, but so far nothing.  I wonder if our performance in 2016 is hurting him?  Johnson has the arm injury cloud (fair or not) hovering over him so I don't think he is an option for many schools at the moment.   

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 07, 2017, 08:25:01 am #10 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:35:44 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
I wouldn't rule out Dave Serrano who resigned at UT.  He'd be on my list if I were Tanner.  Serrano had a lot of success at Cal State Fullerton and also coached UC Irvine before coming to Tennessee.  Problem for Serrano at UT was he is at UT.  Not an easy place to recruit.  In comparison, SC would be like walking a field of clover for Serrano.   The recruiting ties he has managed to make at UT would carry over to SC geographically well.  I know he resigned at UT, but I would have too if I were him.

Pig Papi

It seems the recent trend in the SEC is to hire young energetic assistant coaches which differs from the old rule of thumb to hire an experienced head coach.

Kentucky hired Mangione and is having their best year ever.  Mississippi St has had a great year with Carnizarro given what all they lost.  Both are in Supers and could end up in Omaha.  Last off season Alabama hired the experienced head coach and he has already been let go. 

Vitello's time is coming, and probably sooner than we want it to.