Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan cancels Arkansas series to renew Notre DAME rivalry

Started by Murr, July 06, 2016, 11:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The following teams show openings for their season openers in 2018/2019 when we had Michigan scheduled, who would you choose to play?

Florida State
Michigan State
Georgia Tech
Virginia
TCU
Wake Forest
Air Force
Navy
Univ of Central Florida
Tulane

gawntrail

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 07, 2016, 07:50:01 am
Set up a home and home with Miami.

Exactly.  We need a program in a recruiting hot bed.  Good TV buzz, and lots of 'possibilities'.

Miami
Houston
Baylor
SMU
Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Arizona State
UCLA
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado
To name some off top of my head...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on July 07, 2016, 08:57:31 am
Exactly.  We need a program in a recruiting hot bed.  Good TV buzz, and lots of 'possibilities'.

Miami
Houston
Baylor
SMU
Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Arizona State
UCLA
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado
To name some off top of my head...

The states and areas around UNLV and CU locations are not considered recruiting hot beds and a lot of them you listed doesn't create TV buzz.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

SMU looks to have an open spot for both the 18 and 19 seasons.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/smu-mustangs.php

Take a two year break from SW Classic and move the AnM game to campus.

Play SMU at Jerryworld for 18 and 19 seasons.

Add a clause to co-host a satellite camp in Dallas with SMU after series is finished.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogarusa

Thats a huge bummer but hard to beat a ND-Michigan game so understandable on the side of the Blue.  Certainly planned on making that trip.  Will be very difficult to replace them on such short notice.  The good news is can potentially replace it with a home game.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

oldhawg

Notre Dame is a much more appealing opponent to Michigan fans, players, and coaches than Arkansas. 

Given the opportunity, wouldn't you want the Razorbacks to cancel a two year series with the Wolverines to reschedule a long term, or even permanent, series with the Longhorns?

The_Iceman

Quote from: factchecker on July 07, 2016, 09:08:52 am

Add a clause to co-host a satellite camp in Dallas with SMU after series is finished.

Arkansas should move the a&m game permanently to home and home on campus. Then, have a contract with Jerry to play there every season. Rotate new teams every year like Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech. Maybe try to get OU, Oklahoma State, and Texas (if Texas has the balls) to rotate in too. It would be fun to have a big regional non-conference game there every season.

KlubhouseKonnected

Michigan gets more exposure and a weaker opponent. Sounds like typical Harbaugh/B10 to me.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Jborohog09

Going to be hard to find another P5 home-and-home for those years.  Most teams are already booked up for a while.

HogsonHicks

Harbaugh flaps his gums about the SEC, then runs from a future meeting with us. Typical Big10 crap. Say what you will about ND, which is clearly a marquee name, but Harbaugh can see what we're building.  He wants no part of it.

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on July 07, 2016, 09:08:52 am

What P5 conference is SMU in?

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 07, 2016, 12:42:37 am
We are not the same little piggies that we were under Houston Nutt....we played USC during a typical down cycle in talent caused by Houston Nutt and his recruiting...we can go to LSU and Ole Miss and win, but we're skeered to play big bad BLUE and the "khaki kid" ?  I see you are back into the "poor lil' Arkansas" mode as so many on this website tend to get, even when we are doing well...woe is us

The second time USC thrashed us was at home, and we had a ten-game winning streak afterwards, even being included in possible NC conversations. Granted, we did lose to LSU, Florida, and CBB's Wisconsin to end the season, but at 10-1 we were in the conversation for a time.

EFBAB

azhog10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 08:54:44 am
Harbaugh maybe but not their fans. I've been up there and worked among them. They have respect for all the SEC teams except Vandy and KY. They do not however like the fact that the SEC is considered overall better than the Big10.
Not sure I can agree. Lived there for 6 years and trust me, the UM fans I came across did not respect or talk well about any SEC team.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 07, 2016, 09:30:03 am
Arkansas should move the a&m game permanently to home and home on campus. Then, have a contract with Jerry to play there every season. Rotate new teams every year like Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech. Maybe try to get OU, Oklahoma State, and Texas (if Texas has the balls) to rotate in too. It would be fun to have a big regional non-conference game there every season.

agree on move A&M to campus every year and a SW Classic at Jerry's World, not sure I'd limit to just SW teams, I'd like to see Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Miami just to name a few, there as well.....

as for Michigan, I was really looking forward to the games, though my hopes for series dominance had faded with Jim Huffball's arrival... so, take the 2 mill and bring on the next big name...

BTW:  I'm predicting we'll meet them in the playoffs and it'll be the "karma" talk of the season...

flynhog

I say we call Notre Dame and get them.  Leave Me-Chicken out in the cold.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2016, 09:48:27 am
I like what we're doing with our schedule. Alcorn State and Texas State should be comfortable wins. Louisiana Tech is a cut above, and TCU is a legitimate Power 5 foe. I'd like to see us play one out-of-conference marquee game each year, so from that standpoint I hope the Michigan game is played.

We have to schedule a P5, so we'll have at least "marquee" game a season. The problem is we will be in a bind trying to find one at this date. We also are dead last in P5's on having their future schedule filled.

greghog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 07, 2016, 12:52:46 am
What a load of crap. The west is LOADED. We start consistently running the west with only one loss and THEN talk to me about setting up some out of conference trap game against Michigan, USC,or some other high profile team. We havent beat Bama in ten years. We are trending up but no need to add pressure to an already ridiculously difficult schedule. Just my opinion. I'd rather play a middle of the pack power-5 team. A nebraska, virginia tech, ucla.

I agree.  Ever since we joined the SEC, my position has been, the conference schedule is hard enough, we don't need to be playing top 10 teams in the non-conference.  I know that is not a popular opinion. 

I understand those that want "big games" in the non-conference. 

Also, as noted, there is a "in-between" between scheduling Tennessee State and Michigan. 

If we were winning the SEC and not going to the playoffs, sure.  Or, if we were winning enough games that we were in the running for the "BCS" (non-playoff) games (what ever they are called now) but not getting invited due to a "weak schedule", sure.

But we aren't there yet.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 08:54:44 am
Harbaugh maybe but not their fans. I've been up there and worked among them. They have respect for all the SEC teams except Vandy and KY. They do not however like the fact that the SEC is considered overall better than the Big10.
I guarantee you Harbaugh doesn't either.

Ex-Trumpet

We should outbid Michigan and schedule Notre Dame home and home.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 07, 2016, 09:30:03 am

No way. The Hogs/Aggies in Arlington is a fabulous atmosphere.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 07, 2016, 10:02:04 am

Hogs/Notre Dame might be even better!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ALLVOL

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 07, 2016, 10:03:07 am
Hogs/Notre Dame might be even better!

Not as good as a conference foe that fans get fired up for every year. Jerry World game has always had a championship type atmosphere

psooie

The_Iceman

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 07, 2016, 10:02:04 am

But you also take an SEC home game away from RRS every other year. With the addition in 2018, we need as many home SEC games as we can get.

Jborohog09

Quote from: psooie on July 07, 2016, 10:07:31 am
2018 @ BYU
2019 BYU

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php

makes the most sense now since it will be hard to get anybody in a P5 league.

Yea they're pretty much the only team available.  Everyone else either has a full OOC or has one or two P5's already scheduled.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 09:44:47 am
What P5 conference is SMU in?

You're right.   

I was thinking about recruiting and forgot about the P5 requirement.  We still have a couple open spots on our 18 and 19 schedule so we still could play SMU and add a P5 school on top.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ImHogginIt

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 07, 2016, 10:09:39 am
But you also take an SEC home game away from RRS every other year. With the addition in 2018, we need as many home SEC games as we can get.

Nah ! That's why we have a P5 school come to Fayetteville every other year like next year with TCU and last year with Tech.
I think most people that complain about the Jerry World game have never been to it. 

oldhawg

Quote from: HogsonHicks on July 07, 2016, 09:43:03 am
Harbaugh flaps his gums about the SEC, then runs from a future meeting with us. Typical Big10 crap. Say what you will about ND, which is clearly a marquee name, but Harbaugh can see what we're building.  He wants no part of it.

Yea, right.  Harbaugh does not strike me as one who would cower from a challenge.  Playing a mid-level SEC team vs playing a team likely to be ranked in the Top Ten most years, especially a team that historically is a rivalry game ---- you tell me which is more appealing to the most fans.  Let's see. Michigan and Notre Dame are ranked #1 and #2 respectively in all time winning percentages, and #1 and # 3 in all time wins.  Plus, each school claims something like ten or eleven national championships.  The overall series favors Michigan 24-17.  This is a series that is just begging to be re-ignited.

So you think that Harbaugh is afraid of playing Arkansas? ---- in your dreams ---- just like he was afraid to take on Nick Saban on the satellite camp issue.  Michigan fans will love this series ---- Arkansas was just a two year blip on the screen to them.

Realistically, the Razorbacks have an opportunity to improve enough in the next two to three years to reach the national championship series, and perhaps play Michigan for a title.  Now that would be a meaningful game that I would like to see.

factchecker

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 07, 2016, 10:13:59 am
Nah ! That's why we have a P5 school come to Fayetteville every other year like next year with TCU and last year with Tech.
I think most people that complain about the Jerry World game have never been to it.

I've only missed one SW Classic game in Dallas. 

I enjoy games in Jerry World and still want to play there.  However, I don't like taking away an on campus conference home game every other year. 

We still could play marquee matchups with teams like TCU, Baylor, Texass in Dallas.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 07, 2016, 10:01:14 am
We should outbid Michigan and schedule Notre Dame home and home.

we do have an extra $2 million to offer them...

gawntrail

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 09:03:11 am
The states and areas around UNLV and CU locations are not considered recruiting hot beds and a lot of them you listed doesn't create TV buzz.

UNLV is 4-5 hours from LA Metro; 5 hours from San Diego and Phoenix; 6 hours from Tucson.  As of 2013, SoCal is 22MM, Las Vegas metro is 2MM, Phoenix is 3.5MM, and Tucson is over 1MM. 

P5 OOC games create their own buzz.  Outside of their own fan base, nobody wants to see big programs run little programs in to the turf by half time.  I would think somebody surfing the channels before, after, and/or on a bye week, would tune in to a good P5 OOC game. Especially if it was a WED or Thursday night on ESPN.

.... And, SMU, Houston, SDSU, UNLV not P5, but good recruiting areas.

Quote from: SemperHawg on July 07, 2016, 07:10:12 am
This.... He/They get a marquee matchup that puts dollars in both of their pockets and Michigan gets to run over one of the most consistently overrated teams in the country.  Seems like a no brainer for Michigan. 
Are you saying that Michigan and their fans views Arkansas as a tougher opponent than ND?  That's crazy.

jneal56

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 07, 2016, 12:56:45 am
1000000% agree. Spot on. Once we hit that Alabama level, then I'll feel better about scheduling like they do. I mean, they've played West Virginia (2014), Wisconsin (2015), and USC this year. Those teams are very good, but it's not like they're playoff contenders.

You don't reach that level without playing at a high level. S.H.I.T. and the sisters of the poor do not get you to that level. Why? Several reasons but here are just a few...players have to play their best the entire game no matter what. Losing to Michigan or losing to Toledo. You choose. Also who do you think recruits want to play against? Crap schools? No way. They are competitors and want to be the best and in order to be the best you have to play and beat the best. Always makes me sick hearing the "we already play in the SEC" crap. All that means is you are not a real competitor except you like to win the awards in your co-ed softball rec league. To say you'd rather play a weaker, almost guaranteed win of an opponent tells alot about how afraid of competition you really are.

Just to clarify, I am speaking about everyone who feels this same way. These are the type of people who would brag about going undefeated as 25 year olds against 6 year olds. If it isn't difficult, that means it probably wasn't worth it.
"At least we are moral"

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Karma on July 07, 2016, 10:24:17 am
Are you saying that Michigan and their fans views Arkansas as a tougher opponent than ND?  That's crazy.

So is Michigan one of the few places outside of Indiana and ESPN offices where people don't see right through their pretend competence as a program and overrated results?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Atlhogfan1

Michigan has openings in both seasons.  The issues are:

The B1G will play 9 conf games.

The B1G plays conference opponents almost exclusively after the first few weeks which limits flexibility to move games.

Should take it as somewhat flattering they want to exchange us instead of adding to us as they may could have done so if dates could have been worked out between us/Mich/ND. 

Saturday
Sep. 1 Razorbacks Arkansas Razorbacks
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 8 --- TBA --- ---
Saturday
Sep. 15 Mustangs SMU Mustangs
Saturday
Sep. 22 Cornhuskers Nebraska Cornhuskers
Saturday
Sep. 29 Wildcats at Northwestern Wildcats
Ryan Field, Evanston, IL TBA ---
Saturday
Oct. 6 Terrapins Maryland Terrapins
Saturday
Oct. 13 Badgers Wisconsin Badgers
Saturday
Oct. 20 Spartans at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI TBA ---
Saturday
Oct. 27 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
Nov. 3 Nittany Lions Penn State Nittany Lions
Saturday
Nov. 10 Scarlet Knights at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ TBA ---
Saturday
Nov. 17 Hoosiers Indiana Hoosiers
Saturday
Nov. 24 Buckeyes at Ohio State Buckeyes
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH TBA ---

Saturday
Aug. 31 Razorbacks at Arkansas Razorbacks
D.W.R. Razorback Stadium, Fayetteville, AR TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 7 --- TBA --- ---
Saturday
Sep. 14 --- TBA --- ---
Saturday
Sep. 21 Badgers at Wisconsin Badgers
Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI TBA ---
Saturday
Sep. 28 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
Oct. 5 Hawkeyes Iowa Hawkeyes
Saturday
Oct. 12 Fighting Illini at Illinois Fighting Illini
Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL TBA ---
Saturday
Oct. 19 Nittany Lions at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA TBA ---
Saturday
Oct. 26 Scarlet Knights Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Saturday
Nov. 2 Terrapins at Maryland Terrapins
Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD TBA ---
Saturday
Nov. 9 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
Nov. 16 Spartans Michigan State Spartans
Saturday
Nov. 23 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN TBA ---
Saturday
Nov. 30 Buckeyes Ohio State Buckeyes
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 06:29:45 am
They fear us because we lose to teams like Texas Tech and Rutgers?

LOL, that was supposed to be some kind of joke but then I remembered Appalachain St.

redleg

Looking over Power 5 teams future schedules, another Big Ten team is out of the question. In fact, a vast majority of Power 5 teams already have their "big time" non-conference games set. The only teams I found that either would be open to adding another Power 5 team, or didn't have one already on their schedules for 2018 were: Oregon, Oklahoma St, BYU, and Notre Dame.
Take your pick.  :razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Atlhogfan1

I trust Long and Bielema will figure something out.  May be able to do one of those season opening neutral site games now in 2018 as we wouldn't be giving up a scheduled home game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Good.  Now schedule Kansas or Wake Forest or Syracuse to a home and home series.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

Any Florida team not on our schedule would be fine with me.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redleg on July 07, 2016, 10:52:20 am
Looking over Power 5 teams future schedules, another Big Ten team is out of the question. In fact, a vast majority of Power 5 teams already have their "big time" non-conference games set. The only teams I found that either would be open to adding another Power 5 team, or didn't have one already on their schedules for 2018 were: Oregon, Oklahoma St, BYU, and Notre Dame.
Take your pick.  :razorback:

Schedules can be a little flexible as Michigan is showing. 

BYU needs opponents.  Probably an option.  Not easy scheduling for them sometimes. 

Again, in 2018 perhaps look for an ACC opponent willing for a neutral site game in the Falcons new stadium or a PAC 12 opponent like Az, Az St, Oregon, UCLA who like to recruit a little in Texas.  UCLA has come to Jerry World recently.  Az St just had a series with A&M.  One of these teams could probably move an opponent.(if we can't find a home and home)

Wildhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 07, 2016, 10:57:02 am
Any Florida team not on our schedule would be fine with me.

FIU.  FAU.  USF.

I want us to schedule our OOC games to be 4-0.  Our conference schedule is tough enough.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 10:58:41 am
FIU.  FAU.  USF.

I want us to schedule our OOC games to be 4-0.  Our conference schedule is tough enough.

We have to schedule a P5, BYU, ND, or a service academy for one of them, but after that, sure.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 11:00:43 am
We have to schedule a P5, BYU, ND, or a service academy for one of them, but after that, sure.

Army.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

I really, really hate hearing this.  Were we gonna beat Michigan?  Who knows?  But one thing we do know is that it would have been a big game, with the Hogs in the national spotlight. 

I tend to agree with the poster who said he bet Michigan fans weren't considering it a big game, much like we thought previously about Rutgers and TTech.  Face it folks, we don't move the meter that much in the national perception, and "elite" programs just don't get excited about playing us the way we get excited about playing them.  I think that's as frustrating to me as just about anything else as a Hog fan.  We are still sort of an afterthought SEC program. 

Michigan dropping us for Notre Dame is just another example of how perception hurts our program. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 07, 2016, 11:12:18 am
Michigan dropping us for Notre Dame is just another example of how perception hurts our program. 

Don't get it.
[CENSORED]!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 07, 2016, 07:42:03 am
Hurry up and get the memo to Alabama that they are dense and don't have to schedule tough OOC games. They are obviously too dense to get it.

For fans that actually go to the games it matters. Like I said, that was a road trip I was looking forward to. Maybe we will replace it with something comparable maybe not.   

For the record, I wasn't calling you dense.
I was cutting off the old, worn out argument at the pass about how these SEC teams aren't ranked in the top ten at season's end.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

wholehog92

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 07, 2016, 09:34:13 am
Michigan gets more exposure and a weaker opponent. Sounds like typical Harbaugh/B10 to me.

Nailed the routine and dismount.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.