Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan cancels Arkansas series to renew Notre DAME rivalry

Started by Murr, July 06, 2016, 11:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The following teams show openings for their season openers in 2018/2019 when we had Michigan scheduled, who would you choose to play?

Florida State
Michigan State
Georgia Tech
Virginia
TCU
Wake Forest
Air Force
Navy
Univ of Central Florida
Tulane

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 12:29:38 pm
One home and home series won't make any difference in recruiting, anyway.

Exactly. Have we signed tons of players out of New Jersey lately, nope.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 11:52:38 am
Either way, I want us to schedule the worst team possible.  :)

Do you like playing golf against eight year olds?  Get them to tee if up for money and you might be able to get into their piggy banks and score some serious allowance dinero.  I'd try to play girls...or midgets...if I were you.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 07, 2016, 08:30:31 am
Add me to the group who doesn't like this. That was a game of the week typ game. Game day would've been there and all the hype. CBB would've had a blast taking down Harbough both on the field and in the press.
College football fans across the nation lose out on this.

Wow I finally agree with allvol

hogcard1964

So is this official, or not?  Have they "pulled out"? 

What has Long said or what is he planning to do about it?

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 07, 2016, 12:47:11 pm
Do you like playing golf against eight year olds?  Get them to tee if up for money and you might be able to get into their piggy banks and score some serious allowance dinero.  I'd try to play girls...or midgets...if I were you.

Or you?  :)

But seriously, I don't care if we play Incarnate Word.  I just want us to be 4-0 going into conference play.  Don't care who we have to schedule to get there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 12:49:30 pm
So is this official, or not?  Have they "pulled out"? 

What has Long said or what is he planning to do about it?

Yes, didn't you read the response I posted?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 12:50:31 pm

But seriously, I don't care if we play Incarnate Word.  I just want us to be 4-0 going into conference play.  Don't care who we have to schedule to get there.

Probably be 3-0, I think we'll always play a conference game before week 4.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 12:50:31 pm

At least you're honest about it.  I'm finding all the "let's schedule Kansas, Wake Forest, or Memphis" talk interspersed with the occasional "Harbaugh is a coward who runs from competition and has a gaping hole between his legs" commentary to be pretty entertaining.

oldhawg

Then there is this headline from April 2008:
"Arkansas cancels '09 game with Texas to add Aggies to schedule."

And Jeff Long's accompanying statement,
"While it is unfortunate that we will have to postpone the return game in the Texas series, we felt that it was important to seize the window of opportunity to secure a long-term series with Texas A&M," Long said.

What goes around comes around.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 07, 2016, 12:58:53 pm
At least you're honest about it.  I'm finding all the "let's schedule Kansas, Wake Forest, or Memphis" talk interspersed with the occasional "Harbaugh is a coward who runs from competition and has a gaping hole between his legs" commentary to be pretty entertaining.

4-0 > 3-1

You play to win the game.  With a conference schedule as brutal as ours, I just don't see the allure in wanting to schedule another big time program.  In the current system, you just aren't rewarded for it.  There are no moral victories.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on July 07, 2016, 01:01:47 pm
Then there is this headline from April 2008:
"Arkansas cancels '09 game with Texas to add Aggies to schedule."

And Jeff Long's accompanying statement,
"While it is unfortunate that we will have to postpone the return game in the Texas series, we felt that it was important to seize the window of opportunity to secure a long-term series with Texas A&M," Long said.

What goes around comes around.

Postpone>cancelled, haha

RazorPiggie

Quote from: gawntrail on July 07, 2016, 08:57:31 am
Exactly.  We need a program in a recruiting hot bed.  Good TV buzz, and lots of 'possibilities'.

Miami
Houston
Baylor
SMU
Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Arizona State

UCLA
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado

To name some off top of my head...

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 12:58:09 pm
Probably be 3-0, I think we'll always play a conference game before week 4.

I guess that's true.  I should say, "4-0 out of conference"
1909/1964/1965/1977

Adam Stokes

Probably around 125k Mormons within 5 hours of Fayetteville.  You could probably expect a good 10k or so if the game were to go down.  Of course most Arkansas Mormons are bigger Arkansas fans than BYU fans (like me.)

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

ricepig

rzrbackramsfan

How about Rutgers, Texas tech, Louisiana Monroe, or Toledo. I'd love Another match against either of those problems.

hoggusamoungus

AirWarren

AirWarren

oldhawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 01:03:59 pm
Postpone>cancelled, haha

It creates the same scheduling problems for the team left with a game.

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on July 07, 2016, 01:32:44 pm
It creates the same scheduling problems for the team left with a game.

Well, if you remember correctly, Texass cancelled a time or two, also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 01:14:06 pm
$2M

I wonder what David Pryor thinks the athletic department should do with it....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 01:36:36 pm
I wonder what David Pryor thinks the athletic department should do with it....................

Yeah, I started to post that, but I just lowered the bond issue to $118M, haha.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 01:37:53 pm
Yeah, I started to post that, but I just lowered the bond issue to $118M, haha.

So that leaves only 59 more cancels till it's paid for!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 01:40:48 pm
So that leaves only 59 more cancels till it's paid for!

Yep, I think we've got a plan, take that Pryor!

FANONTHEHILL

With Jeff Long's reputation, I'm not worried about getting another P5 team scheduled.  He will find another team that can cancel on someone else and put us in that slot.  That's why the $2M breech of contract is there.  So a team has resources to use to entice another opponent.  All that being said, I was really looking forward to watching the Hogs in the Big House.  A shame it won't happen.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Inhogswetrust

July 07, 2016, 01:54:43 pm #181 Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:15:45 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 07, 2016, 01:50:44 pm
With Jeff Long's reputation, I'm not worried about getting another P5 team scheduled.  He will find another team that can cancel on someone else and put us in that slot.  That's why the $2M breech of contract is there.  So a team has resources to use to entice another opponent.  All that being said, I was really looking forward to watching the Hogs in the Big House.  A shame it won't happen.

So if we really want to get back at michigan lets schedule Ohio State, then cancel and then endorse that michigan check over to the Buckeyes! THEN turn around and sign a new contract to play against the Buckeyes at Ford Field!

FraggleHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 07, 2016, 10:53:19 am
I trust Long and Bielema will figure something out.  May be able to do one of those season opening neutral site games now in 2018 as we wouldn't be giving up a scheduled home game.

Arkansas already plays a "neutral" game vs aTm... I'd rather have a home and home vs 2 straight years of 2 neutral site games, but that's just my humble opinion.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

hogman99

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 11:49:26 am
BYU would make the most sense at this point.  I'd be pissed, too.

Didn't realize BYU was in a P5 conference.  :o

FraggleHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 07, 2016, 01:50:44 pm

Well we have a big fat $2MM check... Seems like some team of a higher caliber would be interested.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

HoopS

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: jneal56 on July 07, 2016, 10:34:32 am
You don't reach that level without playing at a high level. S.H.I.T. and the sisters of the poor do not get you to that level. Why? Several reasons but here are just a few...players have to play their best the entire game no matter what. Losing to Michigan or losing to Toledo. You choose. Also who do you think recruits want to play against? Crap schools? No way. They are competitors and want to be the best and in order to be the best you have to play and beat the best. Always makes me sick hearing the "we already play in the SEC" crap. All that means is you are not a real competitor except you like to win the awards in your co-ed softball rec league. To say you'd rather play a weaker, almost guaranteed win of an opponent tells alot about how afraid of competition you really are.

Just to clarify, I am speaking about everyone who feels this same way. These are the type of people who would brag about going undefeated as 25 year olds against 6 year olds. If it isn't difficult, that means it probably wasn't worth it.

You're right, man. Let's schedule Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan State, and Oklahoma as our 4 non-confs year in and year out. According to your logic we'll be playing the best so that can only help us, right?

I'd rather go 15-0 against mediocre competition and win an SEC Championship and a National Championship rather than go 6-6 but say, "You know man, we really competed this season."

That's just me. I don't shy away from competition, but I like championships more than "being competitive and still losing."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 02:09:16 pm
Noooooooooooo...  Let's schedule Army.

I like that idea or playing the Air Force Academy.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 01:54:43 pm
So if we really want to get back at michigan lets schedule Ohio State, then cancel and then endorse that michigan check over to the Buckeyes! THEN turn around and sign a new contract to play against the Buckeyes at Ford Field!

Brilliant!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 07, 2016, 02:05:49 pm
Arkansas already plays a "neutral" game vs aTm... I'd rather have a home and home vs 2 straight years of 2 neutral site games, but that's just my humble opinion.

A reason why I am not a proponent of the A&M series. 

I understand the desire for the home and home and it is probably where we will lean.  Was suggesting just as an option since the Michigan game was opening the season. I like the idea for 2018 with the right venue and opponent but not for 2019.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 07, 2016, 02:06:59 pm
Well we have a big fat $2MM check... Seems like some team of a higher caliber would be interested.
big? fat? dont we usually pay 1million for a rent a win? and we have to buy two of them. i was wondering why we signed off on such a low penalty figure. maybe im trippin.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 09:44:47 am
What P5 conference is SMU in?

https://twitter.com/wholehogsports/status/751125497153785856

QuoteThe SEC requires its teams to play at least one Power Five opponent each season, or against independents Notre Dame, BYU or Army. Sankey said Arkansas can request a scheduling exemption if it is unable to find a suitable nonconference opponent for one or both of the seasons in which Michigan was previously scheduled.

"Given that an executed contract has been in place and considering the lateness of this cancellation, we will certainly work with Arkansas on this issue as it relates to the SEC's nonconference scheduling requirement," Sankey wrote. "Institutions are permitted to seek a waiver from the conference office when extenuating circumstances exist."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/07/sec-will-work-razorbacks-after-michigan-cancellati/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FraggleHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 07, 2016, 02:21:14 pm
A reason why I am not a proponent of the A&M series. 

I understand the desire for the home and home and it is probably where we will lean.  Was suggesting just as an option since the Michigan game was opening the season. I like the idea for 2018 with the right venue and opponent but not for 2019.

I know this is going off on a tangent, but I get the aTm series. It's an incredible recruiting tool to walk into a kids living room and tell him and his parents that he will get to play in the biggest and baddest football stadium in the universe, but on the other hand, we already lose out on a true (on campus) home game playing in Central Arkansas... but that's opening up a huge can of worms. Should be interesting to see where Long and Bielema go with this... Tough to recover with such little lead time when teams typically have their "Marquee" games locked out a minimum of 5 or 6 years in advance. 

FraggleHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 07, 2016, 02:26:30 pm
big? fat? dont we usually pay 1million for a rent a win? and we have to buy two of them. i was wondering why we signed off on such a low penalty figure. maybe im trippin.

I see your side of it and I can't speak to the contract agreements. Agree that the contract buyout is quite low, but feel that a check of that size would catch someone's attention.

Wildhog

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 07, 2016, 02:33:08 pm
I know this is going off on a tangent, but I get the aTm series. It's an incredible recruiting tool to walk into a kids living room and tell him and his parents that he will get to play in the biggest and baddest football stadium in the universe, but on the other hand, we already lose out on a true (on campus) home game playing in Central Arkansas... but that's opening up a huge can of worms. Should be interesting to see where Long and Bielema go with this... Tough to recover with such little lead time when teams typically have their "Marquee" games locked out a minimum of 5 or 6 years in advance. 

Playing in Jerry's World hasn't done us much good in Texas so far, and it's one less home game where we can host official visitors. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 07, 2016, 02:33:08 pm

I'm not against playing a game in Dallas many seasons.  Not against playing A&M in something like a rotating 3 seasons of home-away-Dallas.  Just don't like being locked into it every season over a long period as it limits versatility.  And I'm not sure how much it has truly affected recruiting. 

Short notice is a reason I suggested a neutral site option.  Some of these neutral games like OM - FSU were put together within the time window we are looking. 
http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111914aaa.html
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 02:40:16 pm
Playing in Jerry's World hasn't done us much good in Texas so far, and it's one less home game where we can host official visitors

That might change when we quit playing in LR.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977