Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan cancels Arkansas series to renew Notre DAME rivalry

Started by Murr, July 06, 2016, 11:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The following teams show openings for their season openers in 2018/2019 when we had Michigan scheduled, who would you choose to play?

Florida State
Michigan State
Georgia Tech
Virginia
TCU
Wake Forest
Air Force
Navy
Univ of Central Florida
Tulane

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2016, 11:14:34 am
Don't get it.

We don't have a true rival.  Just about everybody else in the country does.  I would like teams to get fired up about playing us, but I just don't think it happens with the best of the best.  We want to be thought of as being at that level, but we just aren't.  And that's frustrating to me as a Hog fan.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

trphog

On one hand it's probably a good thing - Harbaugh is going to turn them around. On the other hand I am ticked. I was going to see that game in person Lord willing. I Already had the tickets lined up from a family member who is a UM season ticket holder. Dang!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 07, 2016, 11:12:18 am
I really, really hate hearing this.  Were we gonna beat Michigan?  Who knows?  But one thing we do know is that it would have been a big game, with the Hogs in the national spotlight. 

I tend to agree with the poster who said he bet Michigan fans weren't considering it a big game, much like we thought previously about Rutgers and TTech.  Face it folks, we don't move the meter that much in the national perception, and "elite" programs just don't get excited about playing us the way we get excited about playing them.  I think that's as frustrating to me as just about anything else as a Hog fan.  We are still sort of an afterthought SEC program. 

Michigan dropping us for Notre Dame is just another example of how perception hurts our program. 

Unfortunately, it's not a lot different than it's ever been.  We used to love hating Texas, but they just kinda thought of us as that annoying yip dog snipping at your heals.

As far as perception goes, many of us would drop just about anyone on the schedule to play Texas again.  Not because of perceptions, but because of our hatred towards them.  Same could be said for Michigan/Notre Dame.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Buck Brewer

Call up Memphis, the away game is a home game, make a 4 game series in basketball part of the deal.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 09:36:01 am
Going to be hard to find another P5 home-and-home for those years.  Most teams are already booked up for a while.

May play into our favor.  The NCAA, as well as polls certainly can't hold that against us.  Michigan backed out, not us.

Buck Brewer

Call up Memphis, the away game is a home game, make a 4 game series in basketball part of the deal. Helps soothe the sting of losing WMS games. If we can play a home and home with Memphis on a two years on and 4 years off rotation that included a yearly basketball game and continued baseball games at AutoZone it should be done.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Buck Brewer on July 07, 2016, 11:36:16 am
Call up Memphis, the away game is a home game, make a 4 game series in basketball part of the deal. Helps soothe the sting of losing WMS games. If we can play a home and home with Memphis on a two years on and 4 years off rotation that included a yearly basketball game and continued baseball games at AutoZone it should be done.

I would like that because Memphis is so close, but they're not a P5 and that's what Arkansas needs.

Wildhog

Wake Forest and Illinois both have openings.  Schedule one of them and let's open the '18 and '19 seasons at 4-0!
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jborohog09

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 11:35:26 am
May play into our favor.  The NCAA, as well as polls certainly can't hold that against us.  Michigan backed out, not us.

The P5 once a year in OOC isn't an NCAA thing, it's an SEC rule.  Maybe they can help find a replacement.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 11:42:00 am
Wake Forest and Illinois both have openings.  Schedule one of them and let's open the '18 and '19 seasons at 4-0!

Illinois is booked.  Big Ten is going to nine conference games so they only have three OOC spots and those are all filled those two years.  Wake also has all four of their slots filled those years.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/wake-forest-demon-deacons.php
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/illinois-fighting-illini.php

Wildhog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 11:44:51 am
Illinois is booked.  Big Ten is going to nine conference games so they only have three OOC spots and those are all filled those two years.  Wake also has all four of their slots filled those years.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/wake-forest-demon-deacons.php
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/illinois-fighting-illini.php

The only OOC game Wake has scheduled in 18-19 is Rice.  Surely they could schedule us.
1909/1964/1965/1977

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ricepig

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 11:42:12 am
The P5 once a year in OOC isn't an NCAA thing, it's an SEC rule.  Maybe they can help find a replacement.

I'm guessing BYU, but who knows?? From the sound of it, Long was pissed, although he didn't say it explicitly.

https://twitter.com/TreyBiddy/status/751091430869770240

Jborohog09

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 11:46:37 am
The only OOC game Wake has scheduled in 18-19 is Rice.  Surely they could schedule us.

Where are you seeing that?  They have Notre Dame, Liberty, and Tulane to go with Rice in 18.  In 19 they have Rice, UNC for some odd reason, Elon, and Utah State.

Jborohog09

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 11:47:19 am
I'm guessing BYU, but who knows?? From the sound of it, Long was pissed, although he didn't say it explicitly.

BYU would make the most sense at this point.  I'd be pissed, too. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 11:48:15 am
Where are you seeing that?  They have Notre Dame, Liberty, and Tulane to go with Rice in 18.  In 19 they have Rice, UNC for some odd reason, Elon, and Utah State.

Oops.  I didn't scroll all the way down to see ND.  I still don't see Tulane or Liberty on that link, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jborohog09

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 11:51:08 am
Oops.  I didn't scroll all the way down to see ND.  I still don't see Tulane or Liberty on that link, though.

It has them listed as TBA for dates, but they're listed.

Wildhog

Either way, I want us to schedule the worst team possible.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 07, 2016, 11:52:28 am
It has them listed as TBA for dates, but they're listed.

Oh.  Well that was just all kinds of fail on my part.  Apologies.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jborohog09

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 11:53:53 am
Oh.  Well that was just all kinds of fail on my part.  Apologies.

Haha it happens.  I would like to schedule them at some point, too, but it won't be for a long time unfortunately.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 07, 2016, 11:12:18 am
I really, really hate hearing this.  Were we gonna beat Michigan?  Who knows?  But one thing we do know is that it would have been a big game, with the Hogs in the national spotlight. 

I tend to agree with the poster who said he bet Michigan fans weren't considering it a big game, much like we thought previously about Rutgers and TTech.  Face it folks, we don't move the meter that much in the national perception, and "elite" programs just don't get excited about playing us the way we get excited about playing them.  I think that's as frustrating to me as just about anything else as a Hog fan.  We are still sort of an afterthought SEC program. 

Michigan dropping us for Notre Dame is just another example of how perception hurts our program. 
JR I agree with you on a lot of things. But I think you're wrong on this one. Michigan vs ND is just a very old school rivalry that means a lot to both schools and fan bases. I think it's really that simple. I think, no I know the Hogs are well thought of nation wide.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 11:47:19 am

Sue them.  Why not?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 12:01:29 pm
Sue them.  Why not?

Ha! Probably better uses for the $2 million. But if it was in the contract, no grounds to sue.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Cinco de Hogo

Look guys I don't care there is nothing special about Michigan.  They want to play a team they can beat, I get it.  Wouldn't we want to do the same with Texas? I mean gosh that's a easy win.

That's me not giving them the satisfaction of thinking I'm in any way butthurt about it. 😉

Adam Stokes

Well, BYU is already scheduled to play Arizona on Sep 1st, 2018, and they play Utah the first weekend in 2019.  BYU has to schedule out a lot further into the future because they are independent.

It would probably need to be Sep 22 for 2018 and Sep 7, 2019 for them to work.  I'm sure BYU would be more than happy to play.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 12:01:29 pm
Sue them.  Why not?

For what?
Why have a provision put into the contract for breakage if you can sue for breaking it?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 07, 2016, 12:07:29 pm
For what?
Why have a provision put into the contract for breakage if you can sue for breaking it?

^^^This
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Jborohog09

Quote from: Adam Stokes on July 07, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
Well, BYU is already scheduled to play Arizona on Sep 1st, 2018, and they play Utah the first weekend in 2019.  BYU has a lot of open slots, but not necessarily during weeks that would work for Arkansas.

They're available the fourth week of 2018 and second week in 2019 though.  Those would work.

Edit:  Just saw your edit.  Never mind!

Wildhog

I'd love to do a home and home with BYU.  I love that part of the country.

EDIT:  JUST SAW EDITED RESPONSES TO EDITS.  DOH!
1909/1964/1965/1977

TrueBlue

For what?

The only thing you can sue them for would be if there was a particular time frame to cancel the series in the contract. If they had let the time deadline pass, then you might have something.

hogcard1964

So Michigan can't keep both ND and us on the schedule at the same time?  Why not?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on July 07, 2016, 09:19:25 am

Given the opportunity, wouldn't you want the Razorbacks to cancel a two year series with the Wolverines to reschedule a long term, or even permanent, series with the Longhorns?

HELL NO!
Tuck Fexas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 12:12:24 pm
So Michigan can't keep both ND and us on the schedule at the same time?  Why not?

The same reason we all don't, because a home and home takes away from the number of home games they will have.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: azhog10 on July 07, 2016, 09:47:22 am
Not sure I can agree. Lived there for 6 years and trust me, the UM fans I came across did not respect or talk well about any SEC team.

Well you talked to different fans than I did. True they can't stand the publicity that keeps saying for the most part that the SEC is a better CONFERENCE. Agree they don't like the SEC but they do respect individual programs.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: psooie on July 07, 2016, 10:07:31 am
2018 @ BYU
2019 BYU

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php

makes the most sense now since it will be hard to get anybody in a P5 league.

I'd be fine with that and might go to the one in Provo.

GuvHog

For what?

Does the contract say Arkansas must accept the 2 million dollars?? Can't they refuse it, hold Michigan to the contract, and insist that they play the games??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: oldhawg on July 07, 2016, 09:19:25 am
Notre Dame is a much more appealing opponent to Michigan fans, players, and coaches than Arkansas. 

Given the opportunity, wouldn't you want the Razorbacks to cancel a two year series with the Wolverines to reschedule a long term, or even permanent, series with the Longhorns?
No.  The Whorns are like pet monkeys.  What they don't $hit on, they break!  Done with them.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 07, 2016, 09:30:03 am
Arkansas should move the a&m game permanently to home and home on campus. Then, have a contract with Jerry to play there every season. Rotate new teams every year like Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech. Maybe try to get OU, Oklahoma State, and Texas (if Texas has the balls) to rotate in too. It would be fun to have a big regional non-conference game there every season.
This!

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 07, 2016, 12:23:02 pm
Does the contract say Arkansas must accept the 2 million dollars?? Can't they refuse it, hold Michigan to the contract, and insist that they play the games??

Yes, the contract says that either party may cancel/buy out the contract with a $2M penalty.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas should do a "loser adopts winner's religion" series with BYU.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on July 07, 2016, 10:24:02 am

UNLV is 4-5 hours from LA Metro; 5 hours from San Diego and Phoenix; 6 hours from Tucson.  As of 2013, SoCal is 22MM, Las Vegas metro is 2MM, Phoenix is 3.5MM, and Tucson is over 1MM. 

P5 OOC games create their own buzz.  Outside of their own fan base, nobody wants to see big programs run little programs in to the turf by half time.  I would think somebody surfing the channels before, after, and/or on a bye week, would tune in to a good P5 OOC game. Especially if it was a WED or Thursday night on ESPN.

.... And, SMU, Houston, SDSU, UNLV not P5, but good recruiting areas.

I know all that BUT UNLV and CU are not in high school football hotbeds and don't get a lot of publicity in those huge markets you mentioned other than the specific ones they are located in. VERY few care about UNLV in Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix or Tucson. Sure a P5 games create a buzz to some degree but only if against other good P5 teams and UNLV isn't even IN a P5 conference. CU is but if we want to play a PAC 12 team it would be better to play one located on the pacific coast. That being said I'd be fine with playing CU in bolder because I'd have a free place to stay close by and have been there before. It is a beautiful campus in a beautiful area but it would not generate a great deal of publicity other than in CO and AR.

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 07, 2016, 12:28:09 pm

I'm not nice enough to be a Mormon.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

Let's play Wisconsin.  It would get huge PUB for us on every network.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 07, 2016, 12:28:29 pm
I know all that BUT UNLV and CU are not in high school football hotbeds and don't get a lot of publicity in those huge markets you mentioned other than the specific ones they are located in. VERY few care about UNLV in Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix or Tucson. Sure a P5 games create a buzz to some degree but only if against other good P5 teams and UNLV isn't even IN a P5 conference. CU is but if we want to play a PAC 12 team it would be better to play one located on the pacific coast. That being said I'd be fine with playing CU in bolder because I'd have a free place to stay close by and have been there before. It is a beautiful campus in a beautiful area but it would not generate a great deal of publicity other than in CO and AR.

One home and home series won't make any difference in recruiting, anyway.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2016, 12:28:46 pm
I'm not nice enough to be a Mormon.

I don't care to ride a bike everywhere for a couple of years, either.

Cinco de Hogo

No way! Our players would be losing on purpose....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 07, 2016, 10:49:00 am
LOL, that was supposed to be some kind of joke but then I remembered Appalachain St.

They sure as heck haven't renewed that game! HAHA!

PonderinHog

As long as the game is played on a Sunday.

woodhog14

Quote from: redleg on July 07, 2016, 10:52:20 am
Looking over Power 5 teams future schedules, another Big Ten team is out of the question. In fact, a vast majority of Power 5 teams already have their "big time" non-conference games set. The only teams I found that either would be open to adding another Power 5 team, or didn't have one already on their schedules for 2018 were: Oregon, Oklahoma St, BYU, and Notre Dame.
Take your pick.  :razorback:

Notre Dame is out for 2018 because they just added Michigan.