Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris first year W-L will be compared to other coaches

Started by parallaxpig, February 08, 2018, 05:09:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

texas tush hog

Quote from: code red on February 09, 2018, 11:28:51 am
Agreed could be 7-5 but....we will lose a couple we maybe should win.

I don't see a Morris team being upset. I believe it's going to be very difficult, but possible to go 4-4 in the SEC. That computes to 8-4, which is very achievable with our current talent level, which is much better than people give us credit for. Anything above that, and we better start watching our sixes for teams poaching our coaching staff. Colorado State on the road, and North Texas could present challenges, however, although both are winnable.

rhames

It would be interesting to see what people were predicting for Bielema's first year and Petrino's. My memory says a lot of the same predictions  as this thread.

The truth is none of us know for sure how much talent is or isn't on the roster. Not getting the ball to TJ Hammonds enough doesn't provide enough information either way. Bret absolutely under achieved but I'm not so sure he left a stock pile of talent for a new coach with a totally different philosophy to come in right away and go 8-4.

I could end up being totally surprised and totally wrong. I hope I am.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gohogs1969

Dark Helmet Hog

The schedule for next year is more favorable than it's been in a long time. It could help produce a better record than what most would expect.

rhames

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 09, 2018, 03:38:03 pm
The schedule for next year is more favorable than it's been in a long time. It could help produce a better record than what most would expect.

Hope so. We say the same thing every year.

Colorado State on the road should be a win but not a walk in the park. Miss State won't be easy as some suggest. Nether will Vanderbilt or Missouri. 2 or those are SEC road games and have pretty talented qbs

Ole Miss will put up a fight too.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jabberjawls

5 -7 and everybody will be talking about how great a job he did.

Hawgphat

I simply have no clue how this upcoming season will prove to pan out.  Morris & Co. will be employing their predetermined, entirely-different-approach offensive and defensive schemes utilizing a player complement procured and deployed by a differently-minded-and-motivated set of recruiters, realigning the depth chart pecking orders and revamping and reassigning players into alternative slot positions all over the map.

There will be a mountain of "newness" for the Hogs veterans to have to conform to.

elviscat

Pork Twain

W 9/1 vs. Eastern Illinois TBA
W 9/8 at Colorado State TBA
W 9/15 vs. North Texas TBA
L 9/22 at Auburn TBA
W 9/29 vs. Texas A&M TBA
L 10/6 vs. Alabama TBA
W 10/13 vs. Ole Miss TBA
W 10/20 vs. Tulsa TBA
W 10/27 vs. Vanderbilt TBA
L 11/10 vs. LSU TBA
W 11/17 at Mississippi State
W 11/24 at Missouri
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

parallaxpig

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2018, 03:47:18 am
L 9/22 at Auburn TBA
W 9/29 vs. Texas A&M TBA        Coaching change
L 10/6 vs. Alabama TBA
W 10/13 vs. Ole Miss TBA              Coaching change
W 10/20 vs. Tulsa TBA
L 11/10 vs. LSU TBA                  Weak coach
W 11/24 at Missouri

5 games where we will be the favorite. A couple of coaching changes like us which are a wild card and a weak coach named Eddie O.  I think six are definitely doable........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GalaHawg on February 09, 2018, 12:26:46 pm
6-6 is the safe bet... If the QB situation turns out better than expected, then it may go up to 8-4... but in a bad QB fit to system situation (coupled with lack of experience), it may be 4-8. QB situation and ability to pass rush on defense will determine where we end up between 4-8 and 8-4.
Why do you people keep pulling this lie out of your rectums..? Are you a Chad Morris expert? Have you even watched High School highlights of the guys we have on campus? Have you ever heard this quote from Chad Morris?

..."I've met with a lot of players one-on-one and one of the things they've talked about is Cole," Morris said. "They talk about his leadership and he's been instrumental in making an impact in the time he's been here.

"Obviously the best player is going to play. He's big enough. He can throw the ball well enough. Watching him run, it looks like he can run well enough. Now, can we move those chains? If he can move the chains, then we're all happy. There's no guarantee. We'll find out in spring football how this thing goes."
Here's the link -->https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Chad-Morris-Joe-Craddock-excited-about-Arkansas-Razorbacks-quarterback-signees-114932058
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 09, 2018, 04:35:24 pm
5 -7 and everybody will be talking about how great a job he did.

Going by your post history I would think you're just hating, but even so I WOULD be happy with 5-7 as long as they improve throughout the season.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The NewEra

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2018, 03:47:18 am
L 9/22 at Auburn TBA
W 9/29 vs. Texas A&M TBA
L 10/6 vs. Alabama TBA
W 10/13 vs. Ole Miss TBA
W 10/20 vs. Tulsa TBA
L 11/10 vs. LSU TBA
W 11/24 at Missouri

As optimistic as that looks, I think it's totally achievable and just the shot in the arm this program needs.  That's a potential 10 win season with a bowl win.  This staff would have us rocking in the recruiting world with a first season like this. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Lakerhog

Tim Harris

I expect them to have us right around bowl eligible with quite a few shoot outs next year.  It is just going to be depend who gets the lucky breaks.

jgphillips3

7-5 or 8-4.  Unlike CBP who was left nothing by HDN and CBB who was a buffoon, Morris has some talent and a plan to go along with a softer schedule.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 10, 2018, 02:30:30 pm
7-5 or 8-4.  Unlike CBP who was left nothing by HDN and CBB who was a buffoon, Morris has some talent and a plan to go along with a softer schedule.
CBB left more than he inherited. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

arlhog

I'm just hoping for 6 wins.   I think we're lucky to get those 6.   Look at CBP's first 2 years.   We struggled with inferior teams well into year 2.  This thing doesn't just get turned around over night.  You don't change the entire system and win a lot of games at this level.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: arlhog on February 10, 2018, 03:59:04 pm
I'm just hoping for 6 wins.   I think we're lucky to get those 6.   Look at CBP's first 2 years.   We struggled with inferior teams well into year 2.  This thing doesn't just get turned around over night.  You don't change the entire system and win a lot of games at this level.

CBP should have won 6 first season.  Choked away one at UK. 

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Al Boarland

jgphillips3

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2018, 03:07:24 pm

Yep.  Shame he was an idiot who didn't know what to do with it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 09, 2018, 11:59:05 am
They suck.  We've beat OM how many times in a row, and you will start seeing the decline due to the violations.  Attrition and poor recruiting has been the status quo over the past 2-3 years. 

Vandy has improved, but they are still Vandy.  They will be near the bottom of the weaker division.  We should beat them every year.

I just don't think we are in a position to say "well they're still ______". Those are toss up games.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 10, 2018, 04:16:52 pm
Yep.  Shame he was an idiot who didn't know what to do with it.

Partly.  Injuries caught up too this last season.  Getting players like Pulley and Hayden back should make a difference. 

arlhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2018, 04:00:21 pm
We probably should have won 6 but I don't think cpg told the running backs to fumble twice.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Easiest schedule since 2011.  I'll go 7-5. But 8-4 is possible

jmark

CCM needs to go 4-4 in the sec or he starts his conference record in the negative.  bart couldn't recover from a negative conference record
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

redleg

Non-conference:
Eastern Illinois - W
North Texas - W
Tulsa - W
@ Colorado St - W

SEC:
Alabama - L
@ Auburn - L
LSU - L
Texas A&M - L
@ Mississippi St - W
Ole Miss - W
@ Mizzou - W
Vanderbilt - W

8-4 / 4-4
Liberty Bowl, Music City Bowl, Belk Bowl are all possible destinations.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

AHiD

Hell, if he has a competent kicker that team goes 8-4
My name...is Jerruh

Justagp

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 10, 2018, 02:30:30 pm
Agree

HOGINTENNESSEE

D'Anthony Curtis never recovered from that fumble

King Kong

Quote from: jmark on February 10, 2018, 05:16:21 pm
CCM needs to go 4-4 in the sec or he starts his conference record in the negative.  bart couldn't recover from a negative conference record

Well in part because he only had one season with a conference record of .500 or better.

But with the Vandy, Ole Piss and Miss St without Mullen. I feel we have a good chance to start off well.

A 7 or 8 wins season could do wonders

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2018, 03:07:24 pm

I agree with this. Offense has a lot of skill. LB and Secondary actually have quality player. IMO the biggest question marks are Oline and Dline.

Oline I expect some improvement just from teams not being able to stack the box as much and CCM's quick passing game.

Dline got a huge boost from Gerald committing. We can now field a solid starting Dline with Agim, Capp, Guidry and Gerald. Combine that with some the experience of TJ Smith and potential player movements like Randy Ramsey and LaFrance to DE and we may have something. (LaFrance and Ramsey are just assumptions by me after hearing CCM and Caldwell mentioning players moving down)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on February 10, 2018, 06:43:29 pm
I agree with this. Offense has a lot of skill. LB and Secondary actually have quality player. IMO the biggest question marks are Oline and Dline.

Oline I expect some improvement just from teams not being able to stack the box as much and CCM's quick passing game.

Dline got a huge boost from Gerald committing. We can now field a solid starting Dline with Agim, Capp, Guidry and Gerald. Combine that with some the experience of TJ Smith and potential player movements like Randy Ramsey and LaFrance to DE and we may have something

Yep.  Question is in the lines and qb.  At least we have options and competition at qb.  Whomever it is should be effective.  I think the oline may be helped by scheme. 

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2018, 06:45:51 pm
Yep.  Question is in the lines and qb.  At least we have options and competition at qb.  Whomever it is should be effective.  I think the oline may be helped by scheme.

Yeah, QB has some questions. Cole will have to be more accurate to be the guy we need. But he showed some potential and I personally think Hyatt fits as well (of course that is hard to confirm as I haven't ever seen him take a DI snap)

razorbackchamps94

GoHogs1091

The coaching will be a lot better, so every game should be won except the following games.

Auburn
Texas A&M
Alabama
LSU

The main reason for those 4 losses will be because of those teams having more depth.

oldfart

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 05:53:26 pm
This is difficult to project. Bielema had 25 slots to fill in his first recruiting class. Morris had 16, maybe 2-3 more than that as it may work out eventually.

Bielema had to convert from a Petrino style offense to a Pro Style. Morris has to convert from a Pro Style to a "Clemson-like" Offense that is more similar to Petrino than Bielema.

Bielema inherited little talent that was of the kind that he needed to make his offense or defense work as he was accustomed to doing things. Morris on the other hand, inherits a much better existing talent base and depth level and it is up to him to convert it in a short time to what he wants them to do.

I think that the results of the last couple of seasons has led a lot of people to think that we have less talent on campus than we actually do. I don't expect miracles from the Morris staff, but I do think that we will achieve more than many expect.

I agree on the talent part MHF... while we may not be saturated with talent a number of our players had multiple offers from major college programs so they were well thought of coming out of high school or Juco ranks.   We may not be as deep as we would like but i think baring injury we can put a good O and D on the field. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: The NewEra on February 10, 2018, 10:39:26 am
As optimistic as that looks, I think it's totally achievable and just the shot in the arm this program needs.  That's a potential 10 win season with a bowl win.  This staff would have us rocking in the recruiting world with a first season like this. 
#Thisis1998
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 11, 2018, 09:42:59 pm
It going to be fun!
Yes it will be. Hopefully we quit giving the TAM game away in OT once again.

rtr

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 08, 2018, 06:36:26 pm
Not disagreeing, just saying; remember Petrino's first two games were a 28-24 win against Western Illinois and a 28-27 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

And apart from the three subsequent games against very good teams that year, we were very competitive in all others. I really think we'll see something similar this year, which is why 5-7 won't be the end of the world.
We played Bama, Texas and Florida when they were all contenders for the BCS.  In fact if there was a four team playoff all three would have been in along with Oklahoma.  Big 12 was pretty salty back then, too bad Texas has absolutely burned it to the ground.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

We went 7-4-1 Hatfield's first year and his flexbone was fun with Brad Taylor and yes Danny Nutt as qb.  Nutt almost rode the momentum of an 8-0 start all the way to the BCS, Danny Ford left a complete football team.  Petrino had to start all over but you could see the progress being made.  I never did feel optimistic under Bielema, the Rutgers game was a bad omen. 

I predict bowl eligibility with a major upset along the way.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

whoopigLakeCity

bphi11ips

The schedule sets up for 3-0.  This coach and staff will not let the team give up if they lose the next 3.  A&M is a very winnable game.  Arkansas should beat Ole Miss, Tulsa and Vanderbilt and go into LSU in Fayetteville no worse than 6-3.  Momentum and a packed house could deliver the same result as 2014.  The last two games are on the road but winnable.

The big question marks entering the season will most likely be at QB and along the OL.  There is a lot of talent in the OL and at the skilled positions.  The QB doesn't need to carry the offense, just make good decisions and distribute the ball to players in space.  The first half of the season should give the offense a chance to gel.  The defense will be much better from the get go. 

I think we're going to see an entirely different football team than the one we've seen since Auburn in 2016.  2018 should be a fun season.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 14, 2018, 12:18:23 pm
The schedule sets up for 3-0.  This coach and staff will not let the team give up if they lose the next 3.  A&M is a very winnable game.  Arkansas should beat Ole Miss, Tulsa and Vanderbilt and go into LSU in Fayetteville no worse than 6-3.  Momentum and a packed house could deliver the same result as 2014.  The last two games are on the road but winnable.

The big question marks entering the season will most likely be at QB and along the OL.  There is a lot of talent in the OL and at the skilled positions.  The QB doesn't need to carry the offense, just make good decisions and distribute the ball to players in space.  The first half of the season should give the offense a chance to gel.  The defense will be much better from the get go. 

I think we're going to see an entirely different football team than the one we've seen since Auburn in 2016.  2018 should be a fun season.

Really looking forward to this season of Inside Edition: bphi11

Agree with most of your points here. However, I don't think Colorado State is a gimme. They run a great offense under Bobo and have enough talent to keep it interesting.

Hawgzinbowlz

6-8 wins depending on how long it takes adjusting to CCM offense and CJC defensive scheme. I'm confident Coach Morris will have our best players on the field at the same time, and understand who the best players are. "GO HOGS"