Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Acquiantance from a non-sports message board is pretty familiar with Chad Morris

Started by Science Fiction Greg, December 10, 2017, 08:51:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Science Fiction Greg

He's a Clemson fan, and didn't realize how close he was to the team in the past, but here is a quote of what he said about our new coach:

Morris' first year in Clemson was my last year really closely around the program. (in the Athletic department weekly if not daily) I got to know Chad a bit there. In fact, not to name drop but, he and I exchanged texts last night.

Here is my view of what you get in Chad Morris.
- A Great evaluator and eye for QB talent. He personally headed up Clemson's QB recruiting during his time here. He offered 4 QBs. Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Kelly Bryant, and Lamar Jackson. He was also the first offer for all 4. I'll let that record speak for itself.
- A tireless worker. He identified Watson as his prototypical QB target. Taking advantage of a since closed recruiting loophole, he went and visited everyone of Watson's JV basketball games. He wasnt allowed to speak with Watson, he just wanted to be seen there. Every single home game that didnt conflict with a football team function. It was all legal (then) because Watson wasnt being recruited as a basketball recruit. Just one example...but definitely a first in last out guy.
- Clean. He will exploit a loophole as noted above, but I'll be shocked if he ever draws NCAA ire.
- An offensive wunderkid. His success in scripted drives was over 70% resulting in TDs in his entire Clemson tenure. He is very creative. One of the most creative route tree designers Ive ever seen. Probably the best Ive ever personally seen.
- A great teacher of the game. In the calm of the classroom I am not sure I have ever seen a better teacher of football. Just phenomenal at explaining complex concepts and route trees in simple ways. Prior to his arrival there was sentiment in the football offices that Tajh Boyd would never contribute - primarily because he couldn't grasp the playbook. Morris had no problems teaching Boyd his system. I remember once him using a call of duty weapon analogy to explain progression preference.
- He has a fantastic feel as a play caller.Just a gut instinct about setting up a play and catching a team off balance.
- Fiery, focused and has a vision. Comfortable in his own skin. Knows who he is and who he wants to be.

Now those are a few of his positives. Let me give you the things that will have you pulling your hair out in due time.

Much is made of his Red Bull addiction. He legit has ADHD, and I subject that he self medicates with a ton of caffeine. Every off season he was touring the country and learning new offensive wrinkles. So much so that I think he lost a bit of who he was his last year at Clemson. I think he has learned from this but he will jump from trend to trend too often.

He is so smart and intellectual he overthinks the playbook. To illustrate this point, Clemson thought they had another OC signed when Morris left following the 14 season. In fact that OC had agreed to come and then backed out. Current Co-OCs Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott were promoted rather abruptly. They had each been groomed, primarily Scott -but Morris stumped for Elliot on the way out saying promote him or I'm making him my OC. Neither Scott nor Elliott had ever called plays before and here they sat less than a month away from having to play Oklahoma. Digesting the playbook appeared daunting and Watson was out with an injury. After 24 hours of trying to whittle it down to what back up Cole Stoudt cold perform well, Scott and Elliott made the unconventional decision 'We can't learn and memorize all 650 pages. It impossible to know where and what like he did. Lets keep the first 100 pages (400 plays !!!) and just set the rest aside and work from there..
There is a ton of bloat there and at times it can bog down his players mentally.

I mentioned above Morris is a master of the passing game. He will preach the importance of a power running game, but time and again when things went bad he would abandon the run all too quickly. Even if it was having success.

He will get too cute at times. Clemson fans all point back to this example, but there are numerous ones. In the midst of SC's unparalleled 5 game win streak against Clemson, in game 4, SC was clearly in Clemson's head. There was unrest in the coach's office and the tension was palpable. Opening drive Clemson goes 70 yards on 8 plays. SC had no answers and were on their heels. 1st and 10 from the 24ish....Morris dials up a double reverse WR pass. Sammy Watkins throws a pick and the team never recovers. He will do this and you will throw your hat. He will also occasionally do it and hit a bomb.

For as good of a teacher as he is in the classroom he is a bit too emotional in game. It takes a strong minded player to thrive with Morris. He will berate a mistake when a player needs a pick me up. Not every time mind you, but he shattered the aforementioned Cole Stoudt's confidence.

Finally, he will shop his name Every. Single. Year. If there is a job opening, Morris will be talked about as a candidate. I am hoping he grows out of this and Arkansas is certainly destination worthy. But history has shown he has never turned down an interview.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dark Helmet Hog

racinghog

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: hogz11 on December 10, 2017, 09:00:45 am
Interesting

Good pros but concerning cons as well

If you believe it anyway.....

I think it's fair to point out that this was from his time as an OC, which he will not be for us.  He also has several years experience as a head coach in between, which will certainly help one grow out of some bad habits.

The shopping thing, too, might be a relic of the past.  This is an SEC job close to his home state of Texas.  I guess there are a couple of potential better jobs for him out there, but not nearly as many, now.

As for the guy that posted this's reliability, I trust him 100% to be honest.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

HogNTX

Good post! Let's hope there isn't a need to shop his name the next few seasons. I actually remember that Sammy Watkins play call and thinking... that's what Calling plays like you're in a video game can get you. Innovation means taking chances and sometimes it blows up in your face.

island hog

Remember that this was also 3-4 years ago... running his own program as HC is different. As OC of Clemson, he had play calling duties but at SMU and for the Hogs, he has a OC calling plays.  Of course, he'll have come control over that but the delegation will take some of the emotion out of it... assuming that this is even an issue.  At Clemson and SMU, it would be expected that he would be on the list of possible coaches available for HC positions at higher level schools... he has one of those now with the Hogs.  This is his opportunity to make a name for himself and the UA and look forward to the Spring!

The NewEra

Seems like a balanced assessment without an agenda. 

No one is perfect and smart people grow every day.  Let's hope Morris grows with us.  He's very new to college coaching and he's already given up calling his own plays while at SMU.  As for shopping his name around, Sexton is the master at that.  If CCM's record is worthy of an increase and he remains a good fit, I hope we do what's necessary to keep him as long as the program is continuing to trend up.

jgphillips3

Quote from: island hog on December 10, 2017, 09:11:07 am
Remember that this was also 3-4 years ago... running his own program as HC is different. As OC of Clemson, he had play calling duties but at SMU and for the Hogs, he has a OC calling plays.  Of course, he'll have come control over that but the delegation will take some of the emotion out of it... assuming that this is even an issue.  At Clemson and SMU, it would be expected that he would be on the list of possible coaches available for HC positions at higher level schools... he has one of those now with the Hogs.  This is his opportunity to make a name for himself and the UA and look forward to the Spring!

I agree but it also says his first year at Clemson, 7 years ago, was the year this Guy was around him the most.  So, it might be even a little more dated in some ways.  I definitely think, from Morris' statement that he tried to do too much at SMU and had to learn what to give up, that being a head coach has taught him a few things. Also, if the job hunting thing is true it just means he was desperate to become the head guy and he accomplished that.  Arkansas is a top 25 type job that can be a top 15 job.  If he does well, I think he will be here for a while.  Might have to worry about A&M, Texas or a true top 5 job someday, but let's hope he does well enough that it is a concern.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 10, 2017, 08:51:21 am
Finally, he will shop his name Every. Single. Year. If there is a job opening, Morris will be talked about as a candidate. I am hoping he grows out of this and Arkansas is certainly destination worthy. But history has shown he has never turned down an interview.
His agent is Jimmy Sexton so ...
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

The NewEra

One other thing......I was reading a Clemson message board the other day.  Some of the posters were taking issue with Morris intro press conference at Arkansas.  One of the posters said the others were having revisionist history and pointed out that Morris let it be known from day one that he was interested in moving on to a head coaching job and that Sweeney was also promoting him for head coach openings.

jgphillips3

Quote from: The NewEra on December 10, 2017, 09:24:02 am
One other thing......I was reading a Clemson message board the other day.  Some of the posters were taking issue with Morris intro press conference at Arkansas.  One of the posters said the others were having revisionist history and pointed out that Morris let it be known from day one that he was interested in moving on to a head coaching job and that Sweeney was also promoting him for head coach openings.

He had been a successful head coach in high school so I don't see how anybody would have imagined he wanted to stay OC for long.

LawyerHog50

- A Great evaluator and eye for QB talent. He personally headed up Clemson's QB recruiting during his time here. He offered 4 QBs. Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Kelly Bryant, and Lamar Jackson. He was also the first offer for all 4. I'll let that record speak for itself.

This stands out quite a bit from the rest. That is extremely impressive, having offered all four of them before anyone else.

Every off season he was touring the country and learning new offensive wrinkles. So much so that I think he lost a bit of who he was his last year at Clemson. I think he has learned from this but he will jump from trend to trend too often.

This is an absolutely good thing. Good defensive coordinators will catch up fast if you don't change things fast. That's why JFB brought in hot new OC's, chewed them up, and spit them out, every year. Saban does it every two years, it seems.

CCM may win big here, especially if he gets "the best DC in the country" like he says he will. But winning with him would be like winning with a semi bluff in poker. Bielema's outstanding HC record prior to his arrival made him like pocket kings. Losing with him was a bad beat.

Winning with CCM is like going all in with a semi-bluff. You need things to come together perfectly (best DC in country) to win big, just like you might need two more of a kind to get a flush in poker. In retrospect, if we fail, everyone will say "well duh, he was 13-22".
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Exit Pursued by a Boar

elksnort

Unless he does well at Arkansas, he will not get another equal or better job.

DeltaBoy

I find with what I learned but he several years older and seems more mature now!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on December 10, 2017, 10:01:58 am
Unless he does well at Arkansas, he will not get another equal or better job.

He made it to here with a losing record......

Rayzback

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 10, 2017, 09:19:01 am
Arkansas is a top 25 type job that can be a top 15 job.  If he does well, I think he will be here for a while.  Might have to worry about A&M, Texas or a true top 5 job someday, but let's hipe he does well enough that it is a concern.

Agreed.  Given all the coaching turnover that took place this year, I feel a little better about him staying.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Pig Worshipper

Finally, an objective post on Coach Chad Morris. Thank you, OP!

We see the good with the bad, just like when people from Wisconsin tried to tell us about Coach Bielema or we tried to tell Ole Miss fans about the MOTHO.

I think Coach Morris will provide a much-needed change of direction but I do not think he will lead us to the Promised Land of an SEC Championship or any BCS bowls. He will out-perform expectations his first two years before fading and leaving but I do believe he will be better than Coach Bielema. He is Houston Nutt with a better offense and a worse defense. Not bad if you like the Cotton Bowl or Music City Bowl or Liberty Bowl and that's fine for now. After all, we are just Lil' Ole Arkiesaw.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2017, 10:03:29 am
He made it to here with a losing record......
I believe SMU's record improved each year he was there though.

JBucc

As a Chiefs fan minus the ADHD/energy thing sounds a lot like Andy Reid.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

Pig Worshipper

One more thing, OP. I love that name, Possible Oatmeal. Have you ever had burgoo? I've had some that was possibly oatmeal and some that definitely wasn't. I actually like the British, oatmeal-based breakfast one the best!

Hogtrillian

I personally don't see him leaving again... 7 years ago when he was in his young 40s? sure. But now he is 50 years old and has learned a lot as the HC of SMU. Are we a destination school for him? probably not, it's probably A&M, but with that said there really are only about 15~20 schools that are "better" programs than us. Moreover, the A&M job won't be open for at least 8 years at which point, he'll be in his late fifties and I REALLY doubt he would want to take on a whole new rebuilding project at that point.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The NewEra on December 10, 2017, 09:16:58 am
Seems like a balanced assessment without an agenda. 

As for shopping his name around, Sexton is the master at that.  If CCM's record is worthy of an increase and he remains a good fit, I hope we do what's necessary to keep him as long as the program is continuing to trend up.

A warning to the Aggies from a Seminole about Jimbo Fisher

http://gridironnow.com/warning-aggies-seminole-jimbo-fisher/

It seems that the tendency to 'shop ones name around' results from the agent and not necessarily the coach.  It is an effective way to move the contract continuously in the coach's favor.

FSU got tired of his agent doing this on a routine basis and finally called his bluff.

Now FSU has a well rounded coach who's lifetime objective was to get the FSU job and they have hit the jackpot.

How often have all of us seen the over thinking OC.  It hurts the most when you were doing just fine without it.  Petrino would do what you never thought he would and it sometimes bit him.  I could see Morris messing this up because he will be trying to fool SEC defenses with mostly average 3 star talent.

Chad may have taken a page from the Gus career book.  Swear you ain't looking, which is likely the truth and then grab that next position if it betters you.  We would all do exactly that but when a fan believes a particular move effects them, the complaining roars up. 

Pig Worshipper

My oldest son is an FSU grad and my youngest son is a Gator. Believe me when I tell you many FSU fans here in Florida do not believe they've hit the jackpot.

I tell my sons in all things having to do with the Seminoles versus the Gators, I remain strictly neutral and pull for my Razorbacks.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 10, 2017, 09:19:01 am
I agree but it also says his first year at Clemson, 7 years ago, was the year this Guy was around him the most.  So, it might be even a little more dated in some ways.  I definitely think, from Morris' statement that he tried to do too much at SMU and had to learn what to give up, that being a head coach has taught him a few things. Also, if the job hunting thing is true it just means he was desperate to become the head guy and he accomplished that.  Arkansas is a top 25 type job that can be a top 15 job.  If he does well, I think he will be here for a while.  Might have to worry about A&M, Texas or a true top 5 job someday, but let's hope he does well enough that it is a concern.

I think the worries start with Clemson, with A&M, as you say, a second one.

If he does well, he will go to Clemson when Dabo move to Bama to replace the retiring Saban.  I'll bet that happens before Morris' first contract here is finished.  A&M will be a strong second when Fisher goes down in flames.  Which ever happens first is when Morris leaves Arkansas.  Just an opinion.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on December 10, 2017, 10:14:11 am
One more thing, OP. I love that name, Possible Oatmeal. Have you ever had burgoo? I've had some that was possibly oatmeal and some that definitely wasn't. I actually like the British, oatmeal-based breakfast one the best!

Heh.  I got this name while registering my son on a kid's chess site.  It didn't allow you to choose your own username, it just gave you a list of adjective + noun combinations that you could choose from or ask for a new set until you found one you liked.  I laughed at "PossibleOatmeal" and have used it on many sites since.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: 12247 on December 10, 2017, 10:29:01 am
How often have all of us seen the over thinking OC.  It hurts the most when you were doing just fine without it.  Petrino would do what you never thought he would and it sometimes bit him.  I could see Morris messing this up because he will be trying to fool SEC defenses with mostly average 3 star talent.

Chad may have taken a page from the Gus career book.  Swear you ain't looking, which is likely the truth and then grab that next position if it betters you.  We would all do exactly that but when a fan believes a particular move effects them, the complaining roars up.
Good post. Petrino, though, love him or hate him, has an amazing, in-game offensive instinct. Does Chad Morris have it? We will find out, especially against SEC defenses.

Hogtrillian

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on December 10, 2017, 10:36:27 am
I think the worries start with Clemson, with A&M, as you say, a second one.

If he does well, he will go to Clemson when Dabo move to Bama to replace the retiring Saban.  I'll bet that happens before Morris' first contract here is finished.  A&M will be a strong second when Fisher goes down in flames.  Which ever happens first is when Morris leaves Arkansas.  Just an opinion.

You don't think they'd give the HC gig to Venables first?

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 10, 2017, 10:36:35 am
Heh.  I got this name while registering my son on a kid's chess site.  It didn't allow you to choose your own username, it just gave you a list of adjective + noun combinations that you could choose from or ask for a new set until you found one you liked.  I laughed at "PossibleOatmeal" and have used it on many sites since.
Great story, thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Your post should be stickied at the top for everyone to read in order to make for a more rational discussion and expectation from the hire. But this is a fan blog and rationality is not the goal of the exercise!

CDBHawg

Lots of positives.

As for the negatives - meh, never let perfect be the enemy of good.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 10, 2017, 10:53:59 am
Lots of positives.

This is how I feel.

oldhawg

A shot in the dark:

IMO if Morris pulls off the miracle and brings Venebles to Arkansas, they will both settle in for a long stay (provided they are successful).  I recall having read that Venebles has stated that he wants to coach eight more years or so; appears that Morris and Venebles are friends and an "effective team;" living in Northwest Arkansas can grow on you pleasantly;  Fayetteville area ranks high in desirable places to live; the Razorbacks are the main show in the state; J. Jones can help make it a more profitable enterprise for both.

A lot of actual and intrinsic pluses for a successful head coach at the University of Arkansas. 

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Hogtrillian on December 10, 2017, 10:39:58 am

Good point, just don't know how Venables is viewed by the AD and fans.  On the other hand fans were ready to put up a statue of Morris after the turn around that occurred when he was hired.  Morris got more credit the Dabo did.

So, probably Morris would edge out Venables if Dabo moves to Bama.  Thing is, I'll bet that Venables gets a HC job in the next couple of years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogtrillian on December 10, 2017, 10:39:58 am
no, I dont think so. I've heard there is 'something' that would prevent that. They'll just throw enough money at Dabo to keep him, or they'll keep one of the OCs as HC.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogtrillian

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on December 10, 2017, 11:04:26 am
Good point, just don't know how Venables is viewed by the AD and fans.  On the other hand fans were ready to put up a statue of Morris after the turn around that occurred when he was hired.  Morris got more credit the Dabo did.

So, probably Morris would edge out Venables if Dabo moves to Bama.  Thing is, I'll bet that Venables gets a HC job in the next couple of years.

Yeah I think Morris definitely deserves the credit. The DC before Venables got there was Kevin Steele, so they haven't been lacking in that area.

At this point, after 10+ FBS jobs were open this year and Venables not biting at any of them, I don't see him becoming a HC. He will be a very wealthy career DC.

Pig in the Pokey

Yeah, because no way does jeremy pruitt get hired over venables unless something else is up. hell, pruitt has all kinds of nasty rumors in his past, for that matter.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

redeye

He will get too cute at times. Clemson fans all point back to this example, but there are numerous ones. In the midst of SC's unparalleled 5 game win streak against Clemson, in game 4, SC was clearly in Clemson's head. There was unrest in the coach's office and the tension was palpable. Opening drive Clemson goes 70 yards on 8 plays. SC had no answers and were on their heels. 1st and 10 from the 24ish....Morris dials up a double reverse WR pass. Sammy Watkins throws a pick and the team never recovers. He will do this and you will throw your hat. He will also occasionally do it and hit a bomb.

I'll be shocked if he's worse than Chaney and Enos in this regard.  This has been so typical for Arkansas under Bielema, that I think we've come to expect it.

I believe an ADHD personality strives harder to improve than most of us, so there's a good chance that Morris has improved upon the cons mentioned here.

870hogfan

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on December 10, 2017, 10:06:01 am

We see the good with the bad, just like when people from Wisconsin tried to tell us about Coach Bielema or we tried to tell Ole Miss fans about the MOTHO.

I think Coach Morris will provide a much-needed change of direction but I do not think he will lead us to the Promised Land of an SEC Championship or any BCS bowls. He will out-perform expectations his first two years before fading and leaving but I do believe he will be better than Coach Bielema. He is Houston Nutt with a better offense and a worse defense. Not bad if you like the Cotton Bowl or Music City Bowl or Liberty Bowl and that's fine for now. After all, we are just Lil' Ole Arkiesaw.

Okay nice but you will be wrong.

MissippHog

searkhogfan

He's a Clemson fan, and didn't realize how close he was to the team in the past, but here is a quote of what he said about our new coach:

Morris' first year in Clemson was my last year really closely around the program. (in the Athletic department weekly if not daily) I got to know Chad a bit there. In fact, not to name drop but, he and I exchanged texts last night.

Here is my view of what you get in Chad Morris.
- A tireless worker. He identified Watson as his prototypical QB target. Taking advantage of a since closed recruiting loophole, he went and visited everyone of Watson's JV basketball games. He wasnt allowed to speak with Watson, he just wanted to be seen there. Every single home game that didnt conflict with a football team function. It was all legal (then) because Watson wasnt being recruited as a basketball recruit. Just one example...but definitely a first in last out guy.
- Clean. He will exploit a loophole as noted above, but I'll be shocked if he ever draws NCAA ire.
- An offensive wunderkid. His success in scripted drives was over 70% resulting in TDs in his entire Clemson tenure. He is very creative. One of the most creative route tree designers Ive ever seen. Probably the best Ive ever personally seen.
- A great teacher of the game. In the calm of the classroom I am not sure I have ever seen a better teacher of football. Just phenomenal at explaining complex concepts and route trees in simple ways. Prior to his arrival there was sentiment in the football offices that Tajh Boyd would never contribute - primarily because he couldn't grasp the playbook. Morris had no problems teaching Boyd his system. I remember once him using a call of duty weapon analogy to explain progression preference.
- He has a fantastic feel as a play caller.Just a gut instinct about setting up a play and catching a team off balance.
- Fiery, focused and has a vision. Comfortable in his own skin. Knows who he is and who he wants to be.

Now those are a few of his positives. Let me give you the things that will have you pulling your hair out in due time.

Much is made of his Red Bull addiction. He legit has ADHD, and I subject that he self medicates with a ton of caffeine. Every off season he was touring the country and learning new offensive wrinkles. So much so that I think he lost a bit of who he was his last year at Clemson. I think he has learned from this but he will jump from trend to trend too often.

He is so smart and intellectual he overthinks the playbook. To illustrate this point, Clemson thought they had another OC signed when Morris left following the 14 season. In fact that OC had agreed to come and then backed out. Current Co-OCs Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott were promoted rather abruptly. They had each been groomed, primarily Scott -but Morris stumped for Elliot on the way out saying promote him or I'm making him my OC. Neither Scott nor Elliott had ever called plays before and here they sat less than a month away from having to play Oklahoma. Digesting the playbook appeared daunting and Watson was out with an injury. After 24 hours of trying to whittle it down to what back up Cole Stoudt cold perform well, Scott and Elliott made the unconventional decision 'We can't learn and memorize all 650 pages. It impossible to know where and what like he did. Lets keep the first 100 pages (400 plays !!!) and just set the rest aside and work from there..
There is a ton of bloat there and at times it can bog down his players mentally.

I mentioned above Morris is a master of the passing game. He will preach the importance of a power running game, but time and again when things went bad he would abandon the run all too quickly. Even if it was having success.

For as good of a teacher as he is in the classroom he is a bit too emotional in game. It takes a strong minded player to thrive with Morris. He will berate a mistake when a player needs a pick me up. Not every time mind you, but he shattered the aforementioned Cole Stoudt's confidence.

Sounds a little contrived.  Builds him up, Builds him up, then rips the rug out from under him..  I'm going with mostly fiction

IronHog

So an extrovert Bobby Petrino?

Bobby was the master but when he got stressed it was aggressive passes from the shotgun......out thought himself at times too.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on December 10, 2017, 10:06:01 am

I'll take the Cotton Bowl in 2020 for $6 million, Alex.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

IronHog

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 10, 2017, 11:32:40 am
Sounds a little contrived.  Builds him up, Builds him up, then rips the rug out from under him..  I'm going with mostly fiction

Only a few programs you leave Arkansas for:

Texas, USC, OSU, Bama, ND...maybe a Florida or Georgia ......for an Aggie ATM

Guy is an Aggie.  AGGIE!
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 10, 2017, 11:32:40 am

I don't agree that it ripped the rug out from under him.  And it's definitely not fiction.  It's the guy's true opinion of him.  You can believe what you want of course.

searkhogfan

Quote from: IronHog on December 10, 2017, 11:39:14 am

Only a few programs you leave Arkansas for:

Texas, USC, OSU, Bama, ND...maybe a Florida or Georgia ......for an Aggie ATM

Guy is an Aggie.  AGGIE!

He didn't play football for them.  And he had a girlfriend while he was there.  So I doubt they were able to put in Roots in him...

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 10, 2017, 10:53:59 am
Lots of positives.

I've always heard it said good is the enemy of great.

EastCoastRazorback

As someone who lives in Greenville, SC (Clemson Country) I can 100% vouche for this comment.

"I mentioned above Morris is a master of the passing game. He will preach the importance of a power running game, but time and again when things went bad he would abandon the run all too quickly. Even if it was having success."

Even I would be watching with my fiance and say, why the hell are you not running?!?!?  You are killing them with the run.  At the time he did abandon the run, all the time, way to early.  As we all do, we get better at our profession as we get older.  I am cautiously optimistic.

hawgwash

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 10, 2017, 11:42:59 am
He didn't play football for them.  And he had a girlfriend while he was there.  So I doubt they were able to put in Roots in him...
FWIW I was told by my son (an SMU grad) that his SMU contract had a clause that he wouldn't owe the school a buyout to go to aTm.