Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have the QB?

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, December 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 04:22:08 pm
Hell he get's 3 extra seconds in read time from his height and size alone... You're just being contrary for the sake of it... We all know the best guy is going to be in there.

I was making a distinction. 

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 07, 2017, 04:13:47 pm
You just described a football play.

Some football players are better than others.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

AugustaHog

Morris called Bohannon yesterday and told him he wants him to be THE man.  Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean next year, game 1.  I know a ton of things are said in recruiting, but that kind of comment would seem to indicate that GB will get a shot if he picks the Hogs.

AugustaHog

Quote from: HawgTide on December 07, 2017, 04:27:31 pm

Shea Patterson?
We could get really good, really quick if you put that kid in Morris's offense.  Oh and it would piss a ton of Webbils off!

rzrbk4life

Hope one of CCM first calls is to bohannon. He would thrive in this offense
Let's call those hogs!!!!

WPS2k18

Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

stronguard

Shea Patterson?

I think the transfer the poster had in mind was Rafe Peavey.... #FREERAFE
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hollywood870

Just picked up a Crystal Ball for Gunnell, the 5 star from Texas. 2019

GuvHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 07, 2017, 04:24:40 pm
I think Noland will start right out of the gate.

I think you're wrong since he won't be going through spring practice and learning Morris's offense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cardinalandwhite

None of them are ready, right this instant, for prime time. They'll have the coaching. They'll have the opportunities. Now let's see who wants it the most.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

regi

He will recruit,  the Dual threat guys,  no doubt.  Kelly and Hyatt both ran spread offenses in High School.  I expect one of those two,  to win the job. I also would expect Davion Warren,  to have some sort of package as well.

Hogimus Prime

Hopefully Ty Storey gets a fair shot

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

247Hog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 07, 2017, 02:54:40 pm
CK will be Clark Kent in this offense. If... IF, he loses some weight and gets in the best cardio shape of his life. He'll be golden.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

moses_007

I don't see CK as being able to run Morris' offense.  Connor Noland as a freshman may be the guy.  I think CK is more suitable as a big tight end......

IronHog

Quote from: GolfHog on December 07, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Kelly was another Bielema bungle, he was going nowhere. Look for a quick transfer. Morris will let him know early, time to move on.

Yea cause 6'7" QBs with NFL arms are everywhere

Look for the new staff to focus hard on coaching Kelly up
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MissippHog

Shea Patterson?

No.  We do not want his father in the fold.  My Ole Miss friends are glad to see them leave.

UA1985

Quote from: IronHog on December 07, 2017, 05:56:05 pm

Yea cause 6'7" QBs with NFL arms are everywhere

Look for the new staff to focus hard on coaching Kelly up
It was probably lack of coaching and can be fixed under Morris, but CK's arm did not look like an "NFL arm" this season. He was wildly inaccurate and he did not complete many passes over 20 yards.

Billy Bats

Quote from: UA1985 on December 07, 2017, 06:56:54 pm
It was probably lack of coaching and can be fixed under Morris, but CK's arm did not look like an "NFL arm" this season. He was wildly inaccurate and he did not complete many passes over 20 yards.

This.  NFL arm doesn't mean strength as much as it means accurate.  Well put.

ronmahony

Shoot the only problem I saw with Kelley was he threw it too hard sometimes. I think a little practice with his touch and he will be fine.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Pancetta

Kelley needs to gain sime first step quickness. Whether that is by losing weight or just getting stronger I don't know but he's slow out of the gate. I assume CCM wants more of a dual threat type since that gives one more option in the rpo.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

IronHog

Quote from: UA1985 on December 07, 2017, 06:56:54 pm

His footwork is rough is why he tried to guide the ball

He has massive natural arm strength though

rmcchris

Yes he is in El Dorado finishing up HS

Uberanubis

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 02:01:06 pm
Kelley and Hyatt will be fine in this offense. They will do better in this offense than bert's. They both ran the spread from the shotgun in high school and they are both decent runners that can get you 3-4 yds per carry. QB isn't the question, developing an OL is.

this.......the offence has solid qb's rb's and function-able receivers. its the offensive line that is the key to a great season next year. if he can  do something that BB couldn't do and get the line together we are bowling easily next year
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Hollywood870

PorkSoda

Quote from: moses_007 on December 07, 2017, 05:55:27 pm
I don't see CK as being able to run Morris' offense.  Connor Noland as a freshman may be the guy.  I think CK is more suitable as a big tight end......
first people want to move mallett to TE now Kelley?  I don't get it.

we recruited a crap ton of TE's  I seriously doubt an oversized QB is going to break that depth chart.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lakecityhog

Ty Storey

Earned Farm Bureau Insurance 3A Offensive Player of the Year and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette's Outstanding Player of the Year ... Finished his senior season completing 294 of 447 passes (65.7 percent), for 4,159 yards and 53 touchdowns while adding 724 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns ...

FrJoseph

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm
is the QB that this new offense needs on our current roster? I know some have talked about highly touted QB prospects he may bring in, but is starting a freshman QB our best option for next year?

The kid from Greenwood or Earle will be the QB unless a JUCO is available. I talked to a good friend back there today that seems to think that the kid from Earle and the kid from Ashdown that is committed to Dan Mullen will be at AR. The Ashdown kid wanted AR all along, but the last staff tried to pressure a commit out of him on his visit.

Also there are a couple of highly recruited partial qualifiers that Morris will go after. The resources are there to help them get eligible, they just have to be used. Now they will be.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

ur

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 08:18:55 pm
first people want to move mallett to TE now Kelley?  I don't get it.

we recruited a crap ton of TE's  I seriously doubt an oversized QB is going to break that depth chart.
The next question is what do we do with all of these tight ends that we have in this spread offense? I think he needs to sign 25 recruits and let some people know they may need to find another school to open up the schollies and cut some dead weight all at the same time.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 08:25:11 pm
The next question is what do we do with all of these tight ends that we have in this spread offense? I think he needs to sign 25 recruits and let some people know they may need to find another school to open up the schollies and cut some dead weight all at the same time.
a lot of them are receiving TE's so maybe could play Hback / slot position.

I think Morris has a lot of options to evaluate this spring.  Like was mentioned, being a HS coach, you can't recruit so you have to be creative with what you have.  I'm curious to see what kind of offense he develops to make use of what we have and what is coming in.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rmcchris

solitons

Pigdiana Jones

I'm just happy the Allen dynasty is over. Not that they were bad prople but glad to be able to move on.

As for Cole, I'd like to see him as the starter. He brings fire and passion and I think he'll fit perfectly in this new offense. I think he will be just fine.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Ugly Uncle

As has been stated, Cole Kelley ran the spread in H.S.

Down in LA (lived there for one year...CK's senior year) they talked about how mobile he was for a big QB.  They said that he really liked to run.  We saw a little of that this year.  I think he will do just fine.

Auburn's QB is not mobile.
SMU's QB is not mobile.

I think we will be fine with Cole the next couple of years.
Retired Radio Host

cardinalandwhite

A lot of QB's, behind our line this year, would get sloppy with their footwork and their accuracy would suffer. Hopefully that's CK's problem and better line play and coaching on his mechanics make him show improvement, because every once in a while he'll make a throw that no human alive should be able to make, and I'd love to see what he can do in this offense.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

ur

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 02:01:06 pm
Kelley and Hyatt will be fine in this offense. They will do better in this offense than bert's. They both ran the spread from the shotgun in high school and they are both decent runners that can get you 3-4 yds per carry. QB isn't the question, developing an OL is.

Cole Kelley
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3137127/5721e56f64e96b6380309a8a
Daulton Hyatt
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1253550/583cb8e15b3cb11424b86b8c

Hugo Bezdek

Short of a Patterson-type transfer I expect Kelley to start. I would like to see Rafe Peavey back as a Grad Transfer. It would be good to have a Senior leader who knows the offense to push these guys in the Spring and during the Summer workouts. If he's never more than the backup it would be worth having him on the team. If Storey is transferring out as reported we won't have any upper classmen in the QB group.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 07, 2017, 01:54:48 pm
Maybe Storey finally gets a shot if he stays.
On paper, Cole Kelley seems like a poor fit for this offense.
Don't be surprise to see Storey get another shot now.
Long term it would seem Noland or Bohannon (if he comes) would be the guy. Bohannon would seem the ideal guy for this offense.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Starting a true freshman at qb in the Secw would be the ultimate arkansas move.

Let the excuse making start.

redleg

Cole Kelley can run this offense, and run it very well. Looking at SMU's stats from the 2017 season, their starting QB, Ben Hicks (6'1" 203 lbs), put up big numbers passing (3442, 32 TD, 9 int), but meager numbers rushing (47 att, 79 yds, 1 TD). I see no reason why Steamboat Kelley can't do as well or better.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on December 07, 2017, 08:42:15 pm
I'm just happy the Allen dynasty is over. Not that they were bad prople but glad to be able to move on.

As for Cole, I'd like to see him as the starter. He brings fire and passion and I think he'll fit perfectly in this new offense. I think he will be just fine.
I'm not. What the heck did they do wrong?
Both Brandon and Austin were outstanding QBs here.
Too bad Austin had to have this miserable season as his senior year.

Why do people do this? Gush all over freshmen and then trying to run people off by the time they're seniors.

No, I don't think they had their jobs because Bobby was around. They looked the best QBs we had at the time.

IronHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2017, 11:01:03 am

Why do people do this? Gush all over freshmen and then trying to run people off by the time they're seniors.

No, I don't think they had their jobs because Bobby was around. They looked the best QBs we had at the time.

Both Allen's were game managers that could do well with good OL play and open receivers.  Neither guy was capable of big plays with their arm or feet independently

Kelly's size and arm give him a big advantage over game manager type QBs.  He moves well for a big man and will probably be the starter next year.

HornetHog

Here are three QBs that could all work at Arkansas -
Steven Frank - Current  Butler JUCO available to transfer in May
Drake Davis - #1Ranked QB in Illinois - Only 6'1 but plays like he's 6'6" 2018 kid - Available this Summer
Justin Blake - Western Iowa JUCO - Will be the best JUCO QB in the county this coming year. Will be available to transfer Christmas of next Winter.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

HornetHog

[/quote]

There is a reason we have a new AD and new Head Coach, and all these fine young coaches have to move and find new jobs.  When you don't recruit the correct quarterbacks, the 3 and outs won't stop coming and everybody wants to blame the O-line, Def, coaches, AD.  If you recruit winning QBs who know how to win (Baker Mayfield as a example - Not very big, had to walk-on, just wants to win),..that's  when everybody looks like geniuses. Coaches, AD's, O-Line, Def, Specialty Team, Cheerleaders...(they look good anyway.)
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

razorsharptusk

Depends on what Morris wants more.  A guy who can throw the ball into the next county, though his accuracy needs to improve, or a guy that has wheels.  If he wants a guy with wheels, I'm not sure we have one of those yet.
GO HOGS!!

MrKlem10

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 04:22:08 pm
Hell he get's 3 extra seconds in read time from his height and size alone... You're just being contrary for the sake of it... We all know the best guy is going to be in there.

Three more seconds to throw off his back foot.   He better get better in a hurry or it's gonna be a Freshman starting...

JONAS

redeye

Kelley is big and fast for his size.  He could be used like Cam Newton.  I think he'd work fine.

Beaverfever

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2017, 11:01:03 am

I'm a fan of both BA and AA.  It really does suck that Austin's senior year was such a throwaway season.  He had a solid junior campaign.  BA got better every year he was at Arkansas.  We've certainly had much worse qb play than we got from the Allen brothers.  They are both tough guys and great Razorbacks.